Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

I don't really see the benefits of using kubernetes over say aws + terraform so far, it seems pretty similar for run of the mill business stuff.

I guess if you wanted to run it on your own hardware it would let you do that, but my impression is that most people do it in the cloud anyway

but kubernetes is platform-agnostic so instead of writing a bunch of vendor-specific provisioning and deployment scripts, you have nice clean helm charts that deploy to whichever public cloud you’re using!

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

eschaton posted:

container systems should define an API and ABI where they provide a shared library like libPOSIX.1.2017.so that defines the “container OS” and then everything contained should only be allowed to interact with the world via that and facilities provided by it

then we could truly let a thousand flowers bloom

how does this help me distribute my lovely Java applications without caring about whatever cursed OS the host is running?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

literally nothing about k8s is simple. it cannot possibly be simple; there are a million moving parts to even the smallest cluster

if you want to argue that it’s an essential complexity that’s necessary to reap some sort of overall benefit that’s one thing. or that when taken as a whole it’s less complexity than you could do with an equivalent homebrew system, ok maybe. but lmao at trying to defend the blanket statement “kubernetes is simple, actually”

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

our SREs use ansible for pretty much everything. seems unpleasant but no idea what you’d replace it with? writing a bunch of custom scripts yourself to ssh + sudo seems worse

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Anyway I bring this up, because I'm setting up K8's deployments in our DCs and we are turning up dynamic BGP sessions for each K8 worker node so that we can finally stop loving around with vlans and default gateways. That poo poo sucks.

sounds cool. so something like running an exabgp container as a daemonset in your cluster? what does this get you?

I know our network team does a lot of stuff with bgp for many of our non-k8s services but I don’t know what that would look like in a cluster. Doesn’t kube-proxy handle all the routing using a bunch of janky iptables rules?

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 14, 2021

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

operators seem cool but yeah as an app dev and not platform dev I expect I’ll never write one

last I checked the official sdk involved copying a huge amount of boilerplate and then adding your stuff to those files, which made upgrading when the framework inevitably changes seem like a huge pain

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

that is, no poo poo, what our Platform Team decided to do. the template files are loving ghastly and the sole guy who built it left, so it’s unmaintainable

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

sending raw ethernet frames directly to cluster peers "for performance". like if you didn't hear a skinny 23 year old white guy talking earnestly about routing overhead when you read that sentence, you're still a junior

what the gently caress

that can’t be what ate poo poo on live tv is talking about

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

not literally, but that level of brain damage, yes. have you not done thing with packet before

hell no I haven’t. I live in layer 7, making my living the old fashioned way - writing fart apps in Java and Go

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I’ve spent the last week evaluating different terrible tools that generate insane cloudformation yaml files and I can’t believe there’s something out there that makes me miss helm’s dumbass yaml templating

I imagine in a week I’ll be back to helmin and eating every single one of these words

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

just use cdk and ignore the cfn files it makes

yes, that is what I’m leaning towards

of course, our company doesn’t allow use of IAM users, it’s all STS AssumeRole for everything, including our (on-prem) CICD. so I need to figure out how to get cross-account CDK working, which it supports but is much more poorly documented and, of course, requires reading and understanding the raw CFN template the CDK uses for bootstrapping

point being, dehumanize yourself and face to yaml

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

istio seems like an insanely over complicated solution that ends up being much bigger than the problem it claims to solve

I’m real glad the team at work that wanted us to standardize on it just kinda gave up and moved on

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

distortion park posted:

i want to say that the problem is that "self serve" dev ops systems are being chosen by people who dedicate their jobs to infrastructure, not to the people focussing on application and feature development, but have not much confidence in that statement.

it’s an interesting point. on the flip side, right now in my org we have the dev team trying to push through an IAC standardization, but they’re also of the mindset that they don’t want to and don’t have time to learn poo poo that should be handled by an infra / platform team. which is fine and valid, but i don’t believe it’s a recipe for success to have the people who want to minimize their own long-term responsibility and involvement in a system designing that system

which I guess was the original industry motivation behind devops as a proper role, but no one in my group, dev or ops, is interested in becoming devops lol

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I’m not understanding what you guys are talking about where it’s impossible to remove pods gracefully without full cluster synchronization (not sure what this means to be honest) or hammering etcd. but I do know AWS ELB has been able to do connection draining for the better part of a decade, so I’m going to have to agree with this

12 rats tied together posted:

we have like 4 decades of HA load balancers, software and hardware, that are able to agree on when it's time for a node to stop receiving traffic

it doesn't work in the kube because it was designed by an advertising company and adtech only cares about dumb and bad poo poo happening when it's happening 10 or 20k times per second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

my homie dhall posted:

connection draining in traditional setups is fine because the number of nodes is small, the price for keeping them in sync is fairly small. with kubernetes services, every node in your cluster becomes a load balancer lol

kube docs posted:

kube-proxy
Synopsis

The Kubernetes network proxy runs on each node. This reflects services as defined in the Kubernetes API on each node and can do simple TCP, UDP, and SCTP stream forwarding or round robin TCP, UDP, and SCTP forwarding across a set of backends.

o yah, forgot about this part. I think that was what I was missing. thanks, and lol