Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh hey i should start posting in this thread i guess huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whats bofh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

bastard operator from hell

nope

DELETE CASCADE posted:

bofh of deez nuts!!!

yep

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hed posted:

Ok so I spent a lot of the afternoon dorking around with k8s, moving components from docker-compose to get them to run one by one since kompose left me with a jumbled mess

One thing I'm going to have a problem with in the future is how do I do local dev? I have a postgres DB and the underlying app is 12-factor so I can just swap out some environment variables for RDS, but for local I've been running minikube and will want to spin up a local postgres... I think.

If there's a guide or a book that outlines this I'm happy to read. So far I read Mastering Kubernetes which is fine but I don't think covers some fo this.

we have a harness called 'devpop' and when you run it, it builds a k8s stack that's identical to any of our stacks in CDN prod and you can just curl localhost to see how it works. you just change this environment variable to `local` and it only rolls your dumb garbage code to local

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i literally work for a kubernetes business, avoid it if you can. but any time helm charts are involved everything gets hosed up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when i was
a young boy
And way bored
And looking for some fun
i built an etcd

Exported
the configs
Of some dumb
Python code
For a b b s

But then I
Realized
We needed
Persistence
For some old s q l's

So I built
An engine
That leveraged
Bittorrent
To keep those bits at haaaaaaaaaand

<guitar riff>

(true story.)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont know what swarms or whatever are just spin up a couple containers, this should be 5 or 10 a month at DO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont nest virtualization or containers unless you have a specific reason to, basically