Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's an extra meta level to it because 12F is the one character in the game whose art is done by the game director himself, Haimao. It's basically him talking to you, the player, via the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Happy Holidays!

https://twitter.com/aruke0/status/1474391560582492163

Obviously I've been taking a little break, but honestly I'm not really what to do going forward. I have a pretty big backlog of recorded videos, etc, now, and I don't know where to start.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Clarste posted:

Happy Holidays!

Almost everyone in that picture is dead. Does this mean they're the ghosts of Christmas past?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Could probably do a couple of vignettes/operator reports before going into the Wolumonde rerun. The upcoming Pallas event has like 1 cutscene I believe so it won't take up much LP time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hey all. I do plan to do an update later today (tomorrow?), but for now something happened and I need a vote. Specifically:

I got the Top Operator tag in recruitment for the first time! Which means we're getting a guaranteed 6*! That's, uh, after 4 months of playing. Honestly, that's faster than it was on my main account.

Anyway, these particular tags allow us to guarantee two operators:

Magallan (Summoner) and Mostima (AOE Caster). Neither are top tier or anything, but both have their interesting use-cases. We've also met both of them in cutscenes: Magallan is the Rhine Lab arctic researcher with this whole philosophy about exploration, and Mostima is a fallen angel who works as a messenger for the Laterano government (and also Penguin Logistics, although we didn't learn that in the main story). I should also note that Mostima has some caster synergy if for some bizarre reason we want to make an all-caster team. I don't want to do a huge write-up on them or anything, so just vote for who you think is coolest, imo.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

My vote is for Mag, but that's mostly because I think Summoners are a really neat archetype and I desperately hope they get some love (buffs, new units, whatever) sometime soon :colbert:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Magallan every time.

Though ironically these are kinda both penguin-related operators…

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Based purely on looks, Mostima. I can't unsee Magallan as looking like a supply crate with limbs.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Based purely on looks, Mostima. I can't unsee Magallan as looking like a supply crate with limbs.

Oh god why did you have to say it now I can't unsee it either.

I'm voting Magallan anyway.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Magallan, I kinda want to see her in action.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mostima

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also there is official art of Magallan and another operator named Asbestos that is very gay and I'm here for it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

These are their E2 art, if that changes anything:

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Magallan! Come forth oh great penguin!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mix. posted:

also there is official art of Magallan and another operator named Asbestos that is very gay and I'm here for it

https://twitter.com/FarfinFarfin/status/1432427291720798220

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mix. posted:

My vote is for Mag, but that's mostly because I think Summoners are a really neat archetype and I desperately hope they get some love (buffs, new units, whatever) sometime soon :colbert:

There is an incoming buff to summoners that's already on the Chinese servers. IIRC, Magallan gets to plant her first drone without taking up a deployment slot, which is honestly one of the biggest weaknesses of summoners, in my opinion. They're great when you have a limited squad size for whatever reason, but in most cases you have enough DP that planting a real operator in that slot is simply the better option.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

There is an incoming buff to summoners that's already on the Chinese servers. IIRC, Magallan gets to plant her first drone without taking up a deployment slot, which is honestly one of the biggest weaknesses of summoners, in my opinion. They're great when you have a limited squad size for whatever reason, but in most cases you have enough DP that planting a real operator in that slot is simply the better option.

You do need to earn it because it's part of the upcoming module system, so you have to do some mini tasks (eg clear X map with only Magallan etc), be a certain level (6*s need E2 60) and spend some mats to get that buff.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Clarste posted:

These are their E2 art, if that changes anything:

Why do so many ops have some sort of phantom creature as a part of their E2 art? Is there ever a reason given for it?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Why do so many ops have some sort of phantom creature as a part of their E2 art? Is there ever a reason given for it?

For a lot of them it's the creature their "animal basis" is inspired by, such as sheep for Eyja or whatever. Only a few of them have the actual creatures show up in some form (Skadi the Corrupting Heart would technically be one I suppose)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
And then then there's Eyjafjalla, whose operator files confirm that yes, she's actually followed around by a herd of mysterious ghost sheep?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It's like their spirit animal or whatever. Just the shape their aura takes? There's no explanation for it and it's not really clear if other people can see it.

HellCopter posted:

And then then there's Eyjafjalla, whose operator files confirm that yes, she's actually followed around by a herd of mysterious ghost sheep?

Also Mousse with her cats.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. It's been a while, huh? I want to say it was a well-deserved break, but honestly it might've been closer to burn-out after keeping such a quick schedule for 3 months. That said, once I take even a small break I find it extremely difficult to get back in the habit, so for now it's probably easier for me to switch back to once-a-day. Maybe in the long run it'll be something like 3 times a week.

Anyway, now that we're done with the main story (until the next arc starts in a few months), I thought I'd revisit some of the smaller stuff we've missed. Such as the shorter vignettes, or the operator stories. Just... something a little less huge, that we can tackle in smaller bites.

I don't recall if I've mentioned this before, but all the vignettes are grouped into categories named after the events they were introduced in. "Stories of Afternoon", "Rewinding Breeze" etc. Generally speaking, they contain 6-7 vignettes that are connected thematically rather than narratively. For example, all the stories in Rewinding Breeze are about the various different ways people think about their hometowns. There are two exceptions to this though: "Lava's Ancient Forge" (the movie about Nian that we already saw before we did "Who Is Real"), and the one I'm about to show you.

Survivors: Children of Ursus

The animated trailer. Probably the most interesting trailer they've ever made, in my opinion. Although it's the sort of thing that makes more sense if you go through it frame by frame AFTER reading all the stories. Anyway, each story in this collection is about a single group of characters, the Ursus Student Self-Government Group, and a single event that they all went through. Well, sort of about that, it's more about how they all react to it later.

Anyway, one time I was talking to a friend and they were interested in trying out Arknights and in particular they wanted to know more about one of the characters from the Ursus Student Self-Government Group, so I recommended that they read Children of Ursus. And they never talked to me about Arknights ever again.

Habits

Gummy is the second one in her dorm to wake up every morning. And she has a habit. As soon as Istina wakes her, they share a handshake. Gummy then goes next door to wake Zima in the same fashion. Whether "The General" decides to shake her hand or not depends entirely on her mood.

Music.

6:30 a.m.
Rhodes Island Dormitories - Istina and Gummy’s Room

Zzz...zzz...
(It’s morning. Istina should be here soon.)
Zzz...zzz...
(But she sure is taking her time today. Maybe she’s been working too hard? But I’m gonna be late if I keep waiting for her. C’mon, Gummy, just get up already!)
Zzz...zzz...
(You can do it, girl!)
Zzz... Nnhhah!

I’m up!

It’s so dark... What happened to my night light? Istina? Istina! Weird... Did she head out already? Better go check on her.
...Yeah, she’s not here. I guess she had something important to do. I wonder what it was? Oh... What’s this...?
"Gummy, we went out. Won’t be back until evening. Please look after yourself. Signed, Istina... ...and Zima."

Hmph! Look at them treating me like a kid again. Of course I can take care of myself! That means Zima’s already up too. Hmm... Oops, I better hurry up and report in or I’m gonna be late. Just gotta grab my trusty shield and frying pan...
Right, that’s everything. Time to go!!

11:28 a.m.
Rhodes Island Cafeteria - Kitchen

*Rumble~*

I’m kinda hungry... I left in a hurry this morning and didn’t have time to fill up my tummy. But I guess I should focus on work first and grab some food afterwards. Um...

Order up! Ready for the counter!

On it!
Gotta do a shchi next? Okay, I’ll have it right out!

----

Done! Food’s ready! Please take it to the dining area! Next up is... Mhm, we got another fried pelmeni. Just need someone to take this order, then I crank out the pelmeni and I’m good to go.
Gummy, I have my hands full over here! Put that out for me?
Sure thing! Phew... I got this. It’s way lighter than my shield.

But where does it go?
Dur-nar!
...Dur-nar?
Weird... Why is everyone in such a hurry today? I turn my head for a second and she’s gone... Oh well, guess I’ll just ask where to put it.

----

It’s gotta go around here somewhere. The lady at the cash register, that’s... Gitano, right? Hey, Gitano.

Good day, Little Cub.
Why are you out here with your frying pan? Do you need my help?
Just one thing. Could you tell me where to put the shchi? It’s getting cold!

Shchi, huh? If I recall correctly, it goes there in the middle, where Courier is standing.
Got it!
Are you sure you don’t need any help, Little Cub?
I’m perfectly fine! See you later, Gitano!

Forget it. You couldn’t lift it anyway.
Yes, I know.

----

Welcome, what can I get for you? Braised pork and vegetables? Coming right up. And a steamed egg with your stir-fried vegetables? No problem.
All right, here you go. Please be careful. It’s hot. Mhm, see you~
Courier, I got the food!
Great! Thank you, Gummy.
You’re welcome~
Huff! Phew! That’s all for now. Sorry to bother you, Gummy, but would you mind taking this pot back to the kitchen?
Okay, Courier!

----

*Rumble~~~*

Ughh...
You’ve really outdone yourself, Gummy. C’mere, I have a cookie for you. You must be hungry, right?
Thank you very much, Courier!
It’s my pleasure. Make sure to have a proper meal after this, all right?
Will do!

----

See you later, Gitano. I need to head back and get some stuff done.
Stay safe.
Will do!

----

*Rumble~~~~*

(Just hold out a bit longer... It’s almost time to eat!)
Yummy goodies, here I come!

Wooaahh! Kay, you can’t go in there!

Kay is short for Ceobe. Because that's how it's pronounced, apparently!

I can’t?
You can’t! Don’t you see the sign on the door?
I see it. I see a red circle with a tilty red line going through it. I also see Kay.
That means "Kay is not allowed in here." Got it?
Got it.
If you get it, why are you still going in?!
Hungry.
If you’re hungry, you can just get in line and order something to eat.
Hungry.
Y- You’re not allowed in there!
But I’m hungry!
Fine, fine! I’ll think of something!! Hmm...

What if I... If I give you this cookie, will you promise not to go inside?
*sniff* *sniff* Mm! Okay, okay!
Here...
Thanks!
You’re welcome...
*sigh*... She finally left...

----

*Grrrrrrrrrrrrr~~~~*

There’s... there’s still... one more to go... Just hold on... just a little longer!

----

*Grrrrrrrrrrrrr~~~~*

Why’s the ladle so heavy...... I can’t even scoop up the food......
...I can’t do this anymore. I have to eat something!

Gummy has a habit. When she’s famished, something takes hold of her, and she can’t resist her urge to eat... anything and everything.

...What’s this?
The hell ya doin’, Gummy?
So soft... Mmmhh.... It must be delicious. Ah, mm.... *chomp*

Gyahhhhhhh!!!
Eh?
Gummy, why are you chewing on my hip?
Ah, mm, hmm... S-sorry, Instructor!

----

11:55 a.m.
Rhodes Island Cafeteria - Dining Area

(Gummy is practically inhaling the bread in her hands... washing it down with a swig of soup.)
C-calm down, Gummy, the food’s not going anywhere. And we got training in the afternoon, y’know.
(She doesn’t leave a single scrap on her plate... and doesn’t hesitate to reach for seconds.)
Gummy?
(In no time, she’s gobbled up an entire table full of food.)
Guess you’re not feeling talkative... I’ll get back to you later.

----

Whew. I feel like a whole new Gummy! Instructor, don’t you want to eat?
Sure do. But somehow all the food I brought out disappeared into your belly.
I’m so sorry, Instructor!!
Don’t worry about it, I can always get more. By the way, how’d you end up so hungry? You skip breakfast or something?
I overslept this morning and didn’t have time to eat, so...
Y’know, you might just be that type of girl. With a bottomless pit for a stomach.
Really?
Yup, just like that one over there.
Kay? She’s charging the kitchen again?! I better—
Relax, we got someone keeping an eye on her. Plus, they laid out some goodies near the door just in case she gets in. She won’t make it to anything important.
Oh, I thought those were welcome baskets for new recruits...
Yeah that too. Whatever gets the job done.
See, she’s done. If we sealed that door, it’d hurt her feelings. Letting her in every now and then lets her feel like she won. And it doesn’t cost us much.
Oh... Um, so who’s in charge of keeping an eye on her?
Gitano’s on duty today.
Good choice. She’s always got it together.
That reminds me, I have to ask you something. It has to do with training.
Mm, sure. What is it?
I notice you have trouble moving your arms, especially in quick, repetitive motions. Why is that?

Eh?
I’ve watched you in combat, and it’s the same in the kitchen. You get two good strokes in and then you have to stop.
I guess... it’s a habit?
Huh—? Well, that’s a bad habit if I ever saw one. Can we fix it? Because stopping like that on the battlefield is gonna get you killed. But if we can cure you, I’m sure you’ve got the next Rhodes Island Chopping Competition in the bag.
Give it a try?
...Okay... I’ll try...
Good. We’ll get to it after defender practice. We won’t know if we can fix that habit until we try. But for now... We gotta eat.
Yeah.

----

3:00 p.m.
Rhode Island Training Center - Defender Training Room

Last round of the day. Let’s power through. I want four sets of planks, time— Start!

----

Ten seconds!
Three, two, one! Stop! Okay, we’re done. Go cool off.

Defender Operators: Woo!

Gummy.

Yes, ma’am!
You ready? What we talked about at lunch?
Yes, ma’am!
I'll get the training shield, and you can use your weapon there. Now relax. That’s gonna be an important part of your rehab.
Right!

Okay, Gummy. I want you to hit me as hard as you can.
I know you’re tired from afternoon training, but it’s actually the perfect time to work on this.
You get me?
I get you.
Great. Now gimme whatever’s left in the tank.

Pow pow.

Hyah!
Again.

Pow pow.

Hyah!
Again.

Pow pow. A little slower, she's gradually slowing down.

Nngh!
Again! Keep going!

Pow pow.

Gah!!
Again!

Pow pow. Much slower.

(If it’s a conditioned reflex, that should have shaken out some more swings. Is she stopping herself involuntarily? But why?)

Pow pow.

Gummy, swing!
I can’t do it!

Pow pow.

Swing!

I can’t!

I guess this is a little subtle, but she has a bit of an evasive look in her eyes.

Pow pow.

That’s an order! Gummy!

Pow pow.

I order you to——

Music stops.

Gummy is a good cook, but she has a habit. She chops only twice. Should she ever chop a third time——
She’ll chop straight through the cutting board, right into the counter itself.

Pow pow. Thunk!

Ngah! Nng... Phew...
Instructor!
I’m fine, I’m fine. It’s just been a long time since I took a hit like that. Is this another one of your "habits"?

Sorry, Instructor...
Relax. I told you, I’m fine. But it looks like this problem of yours is more complicated than I thought. On your third swing, you subconsciously put your full strength into it. Is that right?
Yeah...
And I’m guessing that takes a fourth swing off the table. If we were in the kitchen just now, you’d’ve chopped that cutting board into a nice, clean pair. Here I thought we just had to push you over the edge... Turns out there’s something else going on here. I jumped headfirst into this without really feeling it out. Sorry, Gummy.
It’s... it’s fine. It’s my fault for being a lousy student.
Let’s call it for today. You go home and rest up. Give me some time to noodle on this. But if you want to try again, you know where to find me.
I could use a break. See you later, Instructor.
Bye-bye.

Gummy leaves.

(I can’t feel my arm. It’s totally numb. Those Ursus Youth Scouts are stupid strong. I better pay Gavial a visit in Medical. I’ll grab her something to eat on the way.)

----

Music.

4:30 p.m.
Rhodes Island Dormitories - Zima, Istina, and Gummy’s Quarters

Gummy goes back home alone. She does not turn on the lights. She hangs her "shield" in the corner, and makes her way inside.

She did nothing wrong. And yet she is sad. She wants to do better, for everyone who does so much to help her. She failed. Since coming to Rhodes Island, Gummy’s "habits" only bred more habits. And she knows those habits bother the people around her. But she can’t change. She can do nothing but keep on being "Gummy."

And Gummy has a habit. She carries a safe door and a frying pan with her everywhere she goes.
Gummy has a habit. She uses the entire tube of toothpaste, going so far as to suck out the last few drops.
Gummy has a habit. When up somewhere high, she keeps far away from the edge, even if there’s a guardrail.

Gummy has a habit. When she’s famished, she has to fight the urge to devour the nearest object. Should she fail...

......?

Gummy has a habit. If she finds herself in the dark too long...

Music stops.

Oh, Gummy, you’re back? Why didn’t you turn on the lights?

However... Gummy has a habit. All her myriad habits dissipate as soon as she sees Zima and Istina.

Ah?!

No doubt she was sniveling alone in the corner after something shook her.
(Snivelingly) Was not!!
See?

What am I gonna do with you? Gummy, start cleaning. Leto is coming.
You got it, Zima!
Hey.
Hmph. Gummy, come here.
Yes, Zima?
Come.
Mmm. I can do it myself.
Don’t move.
Mmmf...

She wipes Gummy's nose.

There. Give Istina back her handkerchief after you wash it.
Okay.
Now tell me what happened.

Erm...
Zima.
What?
(Shhh...)
Right. Forget it. Get to work, Gummy. I did the shopping. The rest is up to you two.
Okay. What’s so special about today anyway?
It’s been exactly one year since we came to Rhodes Island. Zima even woke up early for the occasion. If you believe it.
Phew— I’m beat. I’m gonna lay down for a bit. Call me when Leto gets here.
Oh no you’re not. There’s too much to be done.

Nah. I’m tired.
Gummy, do the thing.
Do I have to?
I’ll go prepare the refreshments. You’re responsible for getting Zima up.
Okay. Hrm. Ziiimaaaa...
What.

Gummy loooooooves yooou~
Spare me the schmaltz. I’m sleepy.
Ziiimaaaa~ Hehe~

Get off me!
Tickle tickle.

Fine! I’m up! I’m up!
Job’s done, Istina!
Good. Now put her to work. I have my hands full.

Ugh. I just carried all those bags. Why do I have to work more?
Call it the burden of command.
Because you’re our leader! Hehe.
Aahh... drat it.

Knock knock.

It’s open.

Come on in and give me a hand. We’ll celebrate once everything’s done.

Can’t believe you remembered.

This is Leto, by the way. Not sure how easy it is to read the captions in the screenshots.

Ooh, is that...?! My favorite! That stuff isn’t cheap.
My treat.
Hehe, thanks.
What’re you standing around for? Get busy.
All right, all right. Can I put this here?
I just put that out!
Hahahahaha!

Gummy has a habit. When she’s happy, she laughs. It’s a laugh from the very depths of her soul. And she wants everyone to share such a laugh.

Done. Zima, say a few words.
"A few words." Eat up.
Ura!
Ura.
Ura!!
Ura!
(It’s been a long time since we all got together. ...I hope Rosa can come next time.)

Knock knock.

It’s open.

(Ceobe pokes her head in)
Is the Little Cub here?
Hm?
There you are!
Eh?
Hiya. I ate your cookie earlier, so I got you a new one. Vulcan taught me how to make it. It’s fresh outta the oven.
Isn't it... kinda big?
Hurry up and eat it before it gets cold. Bye.

The door closes.

Oh. Bye! She’s gone.

Nichego sebe, that’s one hell of a cookie.
A cookie’s a cookie. Well? Eat it already.
(I’m eating well tonight. Yay.)

----

9:00 p.m.
Rhodes Island Dormitories - Zima, Istina, and Gummy’s Quarters

Phew. That was great. But now it’s bedtime. Just need my trusty night light...
Huh? It’s not turning on? Did the bulb burn out? Now that I think of it, it wasn’t on this morning either. So when did it break? Uh oh...

Gummy has a habit. She absolutely must sleep with a night light.

Gummy.
What’s up, Istina?
Can I sleep with you tonight?
Y- yeah!
Zima.
Are you sleeping with us too?
Uh, I guess so.
Hey, Istina? Can the three of us really fit in Gummy’s bed?
Just squeeze in tight.
Guess we’re making a Gummy bear sandwich.
Fine by me.
All right. Just tell me if it gets too hot and stuffy. I’ll go back to my bed.
Okay.
I’m turning out the lights. Good night.
Night.
Nighty night.

When was the last time we all slept together like this?
I can’t even remember. I don’t even want to remember.
Me either.
Forget I asked. Just get some sleep.
Zzz......
As soon as her head hits the pillow, huh?
Gummy?
Zzzzzz......
Guess I’m the only one who doesn’t pass right out. *Sigh*...... Settle down, brain. We got a busy day tomorrow. Ugh.
(Hehe~ Zima’s so cute.)
(Nighty night~)

Gummy has a habit.
You know the Ursus Student Self-government Group? Zima and Istina?
They’re the habit Gummy just can’t quit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Chosen

For the record, I am told that the book she's holding says something like "Marxism-Leninism".

Music.

...It’s plugged in. Is it recording? "Test. Test."
Seems all right.
Now what should I say?

Ahem. Closure lent me this device for the purposes of... Well, the application says "recording self-diagnosis and treatment of trauma using exposure therapy and related methods." A mouthful indeed. It is a very simple machine to operate. I just check that the battery is charged, toggle this switch... And now it will record automatically. Phew...
(Talking to yourself is so difficult. I honestly thought it would be easier to just open up to a screen.)
When I asked about alleviating or at least controlling my symptoms, the medical staff suggested this...

"Why not try talking it through with yourself...?" They made it sound so easy.
Okay, we have video now. Not that I’ll be showing this to anyone. Not that I would ever want to show this to anyone. Calm down, Istina. No need to be nervous. We’re all friends here. Just speak your mind. Let it out. All those things you’ve been unable to share with others, you can say to yourself. Over and over again. It’s certainly a feasible idea.
So let’s take us back... While it may seem like there’s nothing wrong, I know, sooner or later, we will have to deal with this. With so much. I know that Gummy and Natalya can never forget those things. What happened in the school... what happened after we left the school... No one could forget. And Zima, she... I think she has been having nightmares recently. Leto seems like she was able to let it go, but... can someone ever truly let it go?
As for me? I believe I can face up to it. But can I, actually...? No one will speak of it. But somehow we will have to come to terms with it, in the end.

----

...Still hard. Phew... all right. I do think I am starting to get used to it though. Let’s begin, for real this time. I suppose I’ll introduce myself first?
(Deep breath)
I am called "Istina"——This is, of course, a codename. My true name is Anna Morozova. Mmm. It’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time. It is my name, of course, but it feels somewhat unfamiliar. How strange.

This is Vika. A good friend of mine. Vika was my best friend before I joined the Student Self-Government Group. Now I live at the headquarters of an organization called Rhodes Island, where I am classified as part of the "Ursus Student Self-Government Group." Mm. This group was my idea, but it was Zima who truly founded it. And while we are indeed independent, at the moment there are only five of us. Zima, Natalya, Leto, Gummy, and myself. There used to be more. But we are the only ones left. Ah, of course, Vika is also a member.
We currently serve as "Operators" for this Rhodes Island... I suppose it’s a kind of job. I don’t mind it. Fair pay for fair work. Zima has no plans to leave, for the time being. And although she does not speak her mind, I know she is satisfied here. And from time to time, I find myself thinking it would be nice to stay. ...Phew.
The truth is, while we’re all together now, we did not come from the same school. Gummy, Natalya, and I attended the same high school. Zima and Leto went to another one. Oh, but Zima was sort of famous, even at our school. In fact, every student in the district knew about her. I suppose she is something of a born leader. I recognize that she was the right choice to lead us.
Reunion found us defenseless and occupied Chernobog, our city. Then some... things... happened. Reunion took a handful of kids from our school, me among them, and marched us over to Zima’s campus. There may have been students from other schools there too. I’m not certain. It was a chaotic time. It’s still not clear why they did it. But it was all orchestrated by the white-haired boy leading that Reunion outfit. I think he may have been even younger than us? I don’t know. I got the impression he had to convince the other leaders to round up the students, at which point they locked us inside Zima’s school.

Everything is Mephisto's fault, checks out.

Looking back now, it all seems ridiculous. We were locked in there for maybe two weeks, and...

Anna! Phew! Thank heaven it’s you. Pull me up, Anna.
...Anna?

...and we fought. We fought within the sealed-up school. And when we managed to escape from it, we fought in the city blocks of Chernobog. Every one of us has something we must come to terms with. We——

Knock knock.

(It wouldn’t be Gummy this early. Who could it be...?)
Just a minute.
(I think I’ll just leave the recording running. I don’t want to worry about saving and closing it.)
Who is it?
It’s me!
Who?
Huh? I’m surprised at you, Junior Detective Istina! How could you not recognize my voice? Are you playing dumb?

Could you keep it down? And I’ve told you a thousand times, I’m not your junior detective.
Hah. You two are getting along nicely. Good afternoon, Anna. I’m here to bother you too.
...Eh?

Natalya?

She opens the door.

Tea.

Music.

Ah, thank you! Mmm...It smells fantastic. A fine tea indeed! By the way, you took quite a while to open the door. Are you busy, Istina? Are we interrupting you? We could always come back later. I really only came to return this book.
I’m not busy. Don’t worry about it. Not with anything pressing anyway.
Oh...?

Relax. If Anna says we’re not bothering her, we’re not bothering her. Anna doesn’t lie about things like that, now does she?

The characters in these stories switch back between codenames and real names a lot, so it can get a little hard to keep track if you're not paying attention. Natalya here, also known as Rosa, is the last member of the group who couldn't make it to Gummy's little party last time. Anna is Istina, as she just told us a little while ago.

Hehe. Glad to hear it! Oh, but I never expected you were the type to lock your door. How cautious. And handy! That kind of caution will serve a junior detective well!

I’ve been very clear with you that I’m not interested in this junior detective nonsense. And besides, I just happened to have a reason to lock the door this time.

But I’d think you are the type to lock your door, actually. Anna’s always been the most cautious of us.

Natalya is loving huge, look at how tall she is. Bears grow up so fast these days... Incidentally there is some pre-release promotional art that appears to show a much smaller Rosa, so it seems her design got changed somewhere along the way:

Don’t tease me, Natalya.
Heh heh. I just can’t help myself with that adorable face of yours.
...*Sigh*.
Anyway, it’s quite nice that you take high tea in the afternoon. As it should be!
You really have a thing for tea, huh...? Your face, with that expression, it reminds me of freshly browned toast.
What? What’s that supposed to mean?!
I suppose it means you look silly.
Oh? How dare you? That’s over the line! Hmph. No matter! Look how magnanimous your senior detective is. I even brought you biscuits!

Oh? Biscuits? Now that’s unexpected...
Is it?
Sorry, I didn’t expect you to bring snacks. I figured you only came to mooch some tea. I misjudged you.
I’m not some freeloader! Look, I prepared an extra special thank you gift! With Hibiscus’s famous vegetable scones——!

Very good. Let’s see you off now. Hurry on back where you came from. Right now, immediately, through the door and to the right. Have a nice day.
Hey now, you needn’t be so forceful. The scones are delightful, I promise. Here, try one.
No thank you... Really, stop, I... Don’t just shove it in—— Mmmf! Mmmrrfff...!
Ahahahahaha! Now this is what I meant by you two getting along. I’m jealous.

Utter nonsense. You think we’re getting along? / Hehe, like two peas in a pod, eh?
Eh?
Huh?
Not that we get along poorly, I’d say we just...
I had this all wrong. We don’t like each other at all!
????
Hahahahahaha!
Na- Natalya!
Haha, pffft, hahaha! S- sorry, I just... You two clearly connect on a deeper level than I thought. Pff-hahaha!
Uh.
...*Sigh* There’s no way we could be that funny. But whatever... May’s here to give back my book. What brings you over, Natalya?
Me? I’ve had some things on my mind lately. Things I want to talk over with you.
Oh? Important things? That’s not like you. Especially to have you come to me.
Hey now, I’ve always been close to you, Anna. But it’s really nothing that important. We can come back to it later. Let’s enjoy our tea time for now.
Yes, let’s.
Woah, May! Be careful! Don’t go prancing around with your teacup. It’ll spill.
I’m not a child! It won’t spill.
*Sigh*... Sorry, I wasn’t expecting guests, so the room’s a bit messy. There isn’t a good place to entertain guests in the dormitory. But you don’t have to stand there, Natalya. Just sit anywhere, like May.
I’ll take you up on that. But Rhodes Island does provide nicely furnished dorms. Clean and tidy ones at that. You’re right that they don’t make for good house parties though. Not like we used to have.
Those were more banquets than parties.
Oh? Banquets?
What’s the difference?
They’re completely different!
Are they?
Absolutely.

Ooh, a banquet sounds lovely...
Let’s not get carried away. That was another time. The big house, the lifestyle, none of it has anything to do with who I am now. And that Sonya, she always teases me about it. Tactless. If it weren’t for you, Anna, I’m sure Sonya would be butting heads with everyone left and right.

Sonya = Zima

I honestly think we live quite well right now. It’s leagues better than when they had me on undercover investigations. And by the way, Istina, your room is already very clean. You’ve got so many books, and they’re all so well-organized.
We’re still in the midst of setting it all straight. And Gummy’s always been rather fastidious.
That’s true. Our Gummy does like to sort things. Even back in those days, in a place like that, she’d still keep everything we gathered all nicely sorted.

I find it odd that Natalya has been consistently using everyone's real names, except for Gummy. I'm not sure what that means, if anything, it just sticks out to me.

Same as she ever was.
A place like what...?
But a tidy roommate could be great, or I suppose it could be hell. Oh, and who’s this lovely little doll here?
!
Don’t touch her!
Eep! Wh- what’s the matter? You scared the life out of me. You didn’t have to be so rough.
My... apologies... It’s just, this is something very important to me.

Music.

That’s... Anna, didn’t that belong to... So you took the doll with you, you——
Please stop talking, Natalya.

Stop talking.

I’m fine. Don’t worry.
...Anna...

Stop talking.

I heard about it... what happened back then... There was nothing anyone could have done. No one could have known.

Stop talking!

...It was tragic. But we all know it wasn’t your fault.

Shut up!!

You were just a second too late. You did all you could.

I know. Thank you. I’m fine, Natalya. I’m fine.

I’m fine. That’s what I’ve always said to everyone. Zima, Gummy, Leto, Natalya... They all think I’ll be fine.
I almost believe it myself. It wasn’t my fault.
Or was it?
I just got there too late.
No, I wasn’t late.
I did all I could. ...all I could.
——I’d already made my choice.

Music.

Ah, this book! Isn’t it the last volume of the detective series I’ve been reading?
Hm? Oh, that one. Yes, you have a good eye. This is the most precious title in the series. The final act in the story of the world’s greatest detective... Hmph, I had to beg the Doctor over and over again to help me hunt it down.
Oh, that reminds me... Back in the old country, I saw what I’m pretty sure was a signed copy of the first edition on the bookshelf at home. Oh the memories. I cried my eyes out the first time I read it!
Eh? Autographed... and a first edition at that...?
Oh, what rotten luck. I remember Sonya saying Anna moved mountains to try to get any signed copy of that author’s work. And she’s still empty-handed. They’re just too rare.
(Uh oh. It was that special, was it? There’s too much old stuff like that back home. I never noticed!)
Um, err, anyway, Istina. Could you, uh, lend me this book?

...I can. But didn’t you say you’d read it before?
(Grumbling) A first edition. Signed. Copy?
Oh, well... I did, but it’s been so long, you see. It’s about time for a reread. It- it’s really quite something that you’ve got a book like this here. Hahaha, you can read it anytime you like!
Hm. When you put it that way, I suppose I ought to lend it to you. For now.
Oh, Istina, that’s marvelous! You’re the greatest!
(Phew... No problem there then.)
Hmph.
(Grumbling) You could stand to be a little more aware of the feelings of others.
(Quietly) But nevertheless... thanks.
Did you say something? Oh, these biscuits are to die for. You really won’t have one, Istina?
I didn’t say anything. They’re just normal biscuits, are they? I could have a taste...

----

But I didn’t expect to see you and Natalya together. How do you know one another?
Oh, I wouldn’t say we know each other that well. Natalya just happened to lend a hand when I was covertly investigating Penguin Logistics.
Glad I could help.
You talk about investigating Penguin Logistics quite a bit. Still haven’t given up on that, eh?
I’ll never give up! I’ve staked my reputation as a Royal Detective——
Personally, I think you’ve long since forfeited your reputation as a Royal Detective.
Why you...! Hmph. I’ve had just about enough of you! The point is, we only happened to bump into each other on the way here. What’s more, the last book I borrowed from you was absolutely riveting. I just had to come talk about it as soon as I turned the last page!
Well, that’s not entirely off the table... It’s been a while since I had a good talk about detective novels. And the plot in that one is indeed one of my favorites. "Riveting," you said?
I most certainly did! How does one even come up with such a twisty plot? Ooh, I swear my hair stood on ends as I read the final reveal!
I’m sure. It’s a perfect cocktail of literary creativity and logical deduction that jabs the reader right in the psyche. Easily my favorite one in the series.
Oh——I see. It’s so clear to me! It was written in the first person, so... The murderer was actually the protag——mmffst. Mmffmm?!

Fool! You can’t just spoil the whole thing! Natalya hasn’t read it yet!
Mmmmmpf! Pfah——Haah! You almost killed me... Nnng! I bit my tongue. That hurt. I understand not wanting spoilers, but that was way out of line, Istina!
Interesting. You really like your detective novels, eh, Anna? I don’t usually see you so excited to talk about something.
Oh? R- really?
Really. In fact, I think you’ll have to let me read one too. Since they’re clearly so compelling.

You want to read too, Natalya? I never would have imagined. Every time I asked you before, you’d say the same thing: "When I have time."
Huh. Is that right...? But when I see the two of you crowing on about these books, I can’t help but want to join in.
All right then. The more the merrier.
There really aren’t many people here who can hold a conversation about great art... The Doctor reads, but finding time for a conversation is no simple task.
The Doctor... Ah, you mean that one commander.
I see you’re familiar, Natalya?
I am. That one is quite a unique presence on this vessel. And I’ve had the pleasure of bearing witness to that particular commander’s field operations.
It’s too bad. There’s some special meeting or some-such on today. I wanted to give the Doctor a biscuit.
Don’t worry, I’m sure Hibiscus will make sure the Doctor gets a share.
Yes. Dr. Kal’tsit keeps a close eye, but it’s clear that everyone is just as concerned about the Doctor. The medical staff, in particular. I went for a test recently and overheard several medics discussing adjustments to the Doctor’s diet... I believe the confiscation of snacks was mentioned?
Hahahaha. That’s a fairly reasonable step, no?
Gummy was moaning about that too. Honestly, what does that one eat every day?
Also, what was that about a "test," Natalya?
Oh, I would appreciate some discretion in this matter. I haven’t made up my mind yet, but... it is why I came here today. However... Now’s not the time, actually. Let’s come back to it another day. You’ll know soon, Anna. In all likelihood.
Oh? All right then. I won’t pry. Ahem, let’s get back to the matter at hand. Why don’t we start Natalya off with the classics?
Oh, is that the matter at hand then?
Hehe, it’s an excellent opportunity to introduce a friend to your beloved hobby.
I wouldn’t let this go so easily.
Ooh... you’re positively oozing passion right now.
But of course! Don’t underestimate the power of the detective novel. No matter the type, a masterwork carries a living soul within it.
Heh heh. That’s an Annaism if I’ve ever heard one. But that doesn’t make it any less true.
Reasoning out the plot of a novel is part of the fun, but the true draw of the detective genre goes much deeper.
Istina speaks the truth, but I have to say my favorite part is always when the detective unmasks the true culprit. And if we’re talking classics, we of course have to talk about "that one," eh?
"That one?" Do you mean...?
"That one!" Yes! Ahem. "One truth prevails! The murderer is——You!"

Oh, I know that one. It’s a detective’s catchphrase.
Righto. No matter how many times I hear it, it still gets my heart racing!
Indeed. But in my opinion, it’s after the culprit is found that the real thinking, the real interesting bit begins.
What do you mean?
Allow me to answer your question with another question, May. Upon cornering the criminal, and after arriving at the truth, what is it the detective should do? Should she announce the truth to everyone, securing a conviction? Even when the truth is clear, the law may from time to time be an ineffective remedy. What then, can she do? Does she allow this criminal to get away with his crimes? Or does she take the law into her own hands?
Such things happen in the real world too. With no simple solution. If I were her...
...Hmm. Did you just want to drop that one on us? What are you even talking about, Istina? You’ve been acting off all day. Are you feeling alright? ...No, no fever?
...I’m sorry?
A detective’s duty is to uncover the truth. The rest is up to the police, of course. She can’t play judge, jury, and executioner. Every part of the justice system plays a role. The police, the courts, and detectives like us. Isn’t that obvious? What’s that face now? Did I say something so shocking?
Of course I know a detective can’t legally convict a criminal. I just never expected to hear you talk sense...
Hey now! What’s that supposed to mean?!
Nothing. Just talking to myself.
Now, given the world we live in, we’ve got a fair number of people who pass their days killing and killing. Murder may not seem a crime of particularly immediate concern, but we’ll set that aside for the moment. It remains our duty, as detectives, to seek out the truth and uphold the law to the best of our abilities. We may not pass judgment. We may not go above the law. We may not exact our own justice.
To do harm to others, no matter how we may package it, is an immoral act. The character of such behavior is immutable.
Indeed. You’re right...
Whether or not the crime is ever known to others, whether or not judgment is ever passed, the knowledge of the crime lives forever within the criminal. And it is the detective who digs out that truth! Ah ha! Just saying things like that feels so stupendously cool!
The knowledge of the crime...
You’re right. No matter the justification, regardless of whether or not it is known to the world, what’s done is done. And someday...
Oh my, our little chat here has turned rather dour.
...Sorry. I shouldn’t have brought it up.
Oh no, it was quite the enlightening discussion to witness. But on the rare occasion we meet again for afternoon tea, let’s discuss something a bit lighter.
Yes. Good idea.
The tea’s gone cold. Hm? Is that...?
What is it, May? You stood up just to have something catch your eye?
It’s, well, see for yourselves. What’s that outside the window?
Hm? The window? Let me see.

Oh, it’s... flying? And flying this way. Looks like some sort of drone?
A drone? It is a drone... But what is it doing out here? Actually, I think it’s caught on the rigging.
Ah! Well, if it’s attached to the landship, it can’t be a threat, eh? Nothing to worry about then. Upsies.
Are you mad?! Don’t just go diving out windows!
Hehe, gotcha——
May! Watch your footing!
Eh? Waaaah——
*Gasp*!

Music stops.

Anna! Phew! Thank heaven it’s you.

She slipped just like that. Her body wafted back and forth, the breeze blowing her long hair, so clean it clashed with the scene around us. That stark contrast made it seem like the entire episode was nothing but a dream.

Pull me up, Anna.

I froze. Silent.

...Anna?

With a light touch, the dream slipped away. No words. No sound. Just a few small marks on my fingertips.

...Anna, please, what are you doing?!

I just watched her fall.

In case you can't tell, she has vacant "lifeless" eyes now.

Music.

May! That was so reckless! Are you hurt?
It definitely hurts, but I’m alright. Nothing permanent. Oh, but there’s a note taped to the drone! And it’s for you, Natalya.
Huh? For me? Let me see.

Ah! May...
Hm? Wow, what happened? You look like you’ve seen a ghost!
...I’m fine.
Are you sure? You’re definitely not sick? I wouldn’t think any less of you.
*Sigh*... Fool.
What?

What kind of absolute moron would dive out a window and go hanging from the rigging just to get her hands on a mysterious drone? A woman with a brain would use a tool, or ask me to use my Arts!
Well I didn’t think of that, okay?!
Use your head next time!

Don’t scare me like that. Idiot.

Give me your hand.
Eh? No need for that, I’m really okay.
You scratched your hand on the windowsill. Don’t play dumb with me. I see right through you. You have a terrible poker face.
Ugh. Your eyes are way too sharp.
As a "junior detective," keen powers of observation are a must, no?
Ack.
Well, it’s not a deep cut. We’ll just wipe it clean, apply some disinfectant... and we’re done. But you’ll still want to have a medic operator look at it, no matter how small the wound.
It’s nothing serious. Don’t get so worked up! But thanks all the same. Hehe.
*Sigh*.

The note is a summons from Silence.
Dr. Silence?
Yes, it’s about the test I mentioned before. But it’s kind of scary. How did Dr. Silence know I was here?
Anything’s possible with drones, right? From Dr. Kal'tsit on down, the medics all have their ways...
That’s for sure. Sorry, Anna, it seems I’m off to Medical.
No problem. It’s clearly something important. Go take care of it.
Well, I’d better be on my way then too. I’ve returned your book, and borrowed another. A complete success!
What’s a complete success?
Let’s do this again soon. If all goes well, I’m looking forward to telling the whole Self-Government Group the good news.
Yes. As am I.
Anna...
Nothing. Forget it. Until next time.
Toodle-oo~

They leave, the door closes.

*Sigh*... "The good news," huh?
Vika, tell me, what exactly will that good news be? Natalya, and Zima, or rather Sonya... if they can get along... Is such a thing possible? Yes, I think so too.
...I have never forgotten about you. About what happened to you. Would you blame me, if I did? You would, wouldn’t you? No? I know that’s not true. I know you, Vika. And I know that’s a lie. In fact, I know you can’t speak at all. You’ve been with me for so long. You’re still by my side today. One day, we must all come to terms...
...But not today. Not now. It seems... I am not strong enough. I still can’t do it. Not yet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm guessing that Gummy might be a pet name that people use for Lada and she's the one who acts the youngest (I think Istina is actually the youngest?) so that might be why Rosa goes with Gummy for her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. I don't really know how to sum it up exactly, but last time we saw that Gummy is traumatized and Istina watched someone die. This time we'll learn why.

Meeting in a Dream

Music.

It’s morning. I come out of my room as usual.

Mother: Sonya, are you finished washing up?

I’m not a kid anymore, mom.

This time, the nameplates for everyone go by their real names rather than their codenames.

Mom calls to me from the kitchen, where she’s cooking. I sit down at the table to wait for my piping hot breakfast. Breakfast would normally be a bowl of porridge served with bread and ham. I guess she wants to lose weight, so we only have oatmeal porridge. Fine by me. Dad sits reading the papers. Everything in them is always so boring. Political and economic stuff I have no interest in. Why don’t they run stories about my glorious accomplishments?

Father: Sonya, how’s school going?

This again. Doesn’t he get tired of going through these motions twice a day? It’s only ever at breakfast and dinner that he pretends to care.

...Fine.

Father: You’re in seventh grade already. It’s time you start behaving.

Why? I’m only in seventh grade.

Father: And have you decided what you’ll do after you finish ninth?

...Not yet.

After ninth grade, I have to decide whether I’ll keep studying or go to technical school to learn a trade. I know Dad would rather I go to trade school. And I’m sure he’s about to say so.

Father: I think you should...

Mother: Don't push your hangups onto your daughter. Did you find work yet?

Mom interrupts Dad as she carries our breakfast out of the kitchen.

Father: ...I have an interview today.

Since losing his job, Dad’s struggled to look Mom in the eye. Not that it was much better before.

This is probably obvious, but their family is super poor and her father lost her job, which is why they're eating plain oatmeal. Not because her mother's on a diet. This contrasts with Natalya and Istina talking about big houses and fancy banquets.

Mother: You have to put aside your pride, Pierre. We can’t eat dignity.

Father: I know. I’m trying, Anna.

Zima's mom has the same name as Istina for no reason whatsoever!

Mom cares a lot more about my studies than Dad. She wants me to stay in school after graduation. She’s even saved up money for it. She always talks about how you couldn’t go all the way through ninth grade for free in her day. And at the same time, acknowledges how lucky she was to have been a maid to the nobility. She finished her studies at a girls’ school, which let her get a pretty good job, even in a lousy economy like this one. Sometimes, I wish I could be a good girl for her. Too bad I can’t.

Mother: If only you were. Come on, Sonya, eat up. You don’t want to miss the bus.

I know.

I look down at my breakfast, baffled by the strange look of it all——A sad little glop of porridge, half a slice of bread, and a suspiciously shaped ham.

Mom... what’s this?

Mother: What do you mean? It’s the same thing we eat every day.

No it isn’t!

Did you forget?

Music stops.

A girl who looks exactly like me appears at the table.

Who are you? Why do you look like me?

I am you.

She’s me? That’s ridiculous. Then who am I?

You’re Sonya.

This makes no sense. But even weirder is how Mom and Dad have no reaction to this doppelganger popping up at our table.

Father: Sonya, what are you daydreaming about? Eat your breakfast.

Oh, I get it. This is a nightmare. That’s the easiest explanation. Hah. It’s just some weird-looking food. I’ve had scarier dreams.

Those were fantasies you pulled from comics and games. You used to think unbelievably powerful things were the scariest. A column of tanks, a giant monster, your father’s fist. Something simple and cruel.

...Father's fist?

What is she saying? How could she know?

What’s it to you? You’re just a figment of my imagination too. How else would you know what I’m thinking?
Take a closer look at the food you’re holding.
What...?!

It’s not porridge. It’s rice in water with some weeds mixed in. It’s nothing like Mom’s cooking! The bread... it’s bread, but it smells terrible, like it’s been left out for days on end. ...But how would I know what that smells like? The ham looks like it’s been torn off a bigger hunk of flesh, and it smells almost... fishy. Wait, is this... blood?!

...*Puke*.
It’s just a nightmare!
But you’ve never had a meal like this. And it feels so real. It’s as if...

I get the sense that my doppelganger wants to tease me, but teacher always says teasing is a way of making yourself happy by hurting others. And she doesn’t look happy. Either way, I know I can’t let her get away with it. Even if the food’s a bit worse, does that make a life not worth living? I have to shut her up and get to school!

Shut up!

I know the best way to deal with somebody mouthing off: my fists.

Doesn’t it feel just like you’ve actually eaten it?

I clench my fist and lunge at her, but she’s one step ahead.

Music.

My right hook slams hard into the face of the boy in front of me. The feeling of bone crushing against skin is comforting, in a way.

Student A: Gah!

Student B: S- so strong. I thought for sure a dozen of us would be enough, but she wiped the floor with us...

Blyat’! Even weak cubs like you want to play bully? It’ll take more than that.

Student C: *Spit*, go. Just you wait, General Zima, this isn’t over!

Honestly, I like the name "General Zima." It’s badass. But these punks always come at me while I’m trying to nap. Don’t they know I usually skip afternoon class?

Bullied Student: Err, thanks, General Zima.

Huh? You’re still here? You didn’t run away?

Bullied Student: I wanted to thank you this time.

This time?

Bullied Student: Oh, you don’t recognize me? My name is Valeria. This isn’t the first time you’ve had to save me.

Now that she mentions it, the yellow bow in this girl’s hair does look familiar. Was it last week? Or last month? I’m pretty sure I helped her, yeah.

Bullied Student: You saved my friends too. We’re all so thankful to you.

Looking at her bright, shiny face, some of her happiness infects me. But I still have to keep up appearances.

I just can’t stand these shitheads pushing the little people around. And you need to work up some courage. If you were braver, they’d be the ones scared of you.

Bullied Student: Yes... You’re right. I’ll try.

Good. Now get out of here.

Bullied Student: Bye. And thanks again!

She yells back as she runs off.

Hm?

Is it just me, or is everything in the classroom much dirtier than it was? Eh, whatever. Back to my nap. I pull four chairs together and lay down.

What’s that?

My back is pressing into something. I reach behind me and pull out a yellow bow. It looks so familiar. But it’s dirty, and one side is broken.

Huh?!

The back of the bow is stained a dark black color, like...
Blood.

...It must be ketchup.

I toss the bow aside and go back to sleep. But before I can slip into my slumber, I hear a voice.

You found this bow later, in one of the classrooms. Admit it, you know she is dead.

The classroom door suddenly flies open, interrupting my nap. A girl with glasses walks in, carrying a book. I can tell from her uniform that she doesn’t go to this school.

Recall that last time Istina said that the kids from her school were locked in with the kids from Zima's school. Basically, Istina, Gummy, and Natalya come from the rich kids' school, while Zima and Leto come from the poor school.

Excuse me, is anyone else here?
This is my territory. I’m the only one allowed in.
Sorry, but my friends and I are looking for shelter... Um, are you... Sonya?
You’re... Anna?

Anna used to be my neighbor. I haven’t seen her in years, since we moved, but...

Take another classroom.

Honestly, she asked nicely, and it’s not like we didn’t get along before. I don’t really want to turn her down. But things have gotten rough among the kids here since the first fire. I had to fight off three gangs today alone.

The first fire?

I know this might bother you, Sonya, but...

Voice Outside the Door: There’s only one inside, Anna. Let’s just chase her away.

Oh, okay. Time for another fight.

Then we’d be no different from the robbers. That isn’t us.

...Anna’s the same as she ever was. A peacemaker.

Right. Um, I’m Lada, and I’m a pretty good cook. What if I made you something to eat in return for letting us hide here?

Lada is Gummy's real name. She's NOT the other Voice Outside the Door.

I have to say, that’s a pretty tempting offer. It’s been a while since I’ve had something that didn’t just come out of a can.

Okay. You can stay. But watch your step. I’m Sonya. And you don’t mess with me.

Voice Outside the Door: Did she just say Sonya...? Is that actually "General Zima?!" She’s famous even over at our school. She’s easily the strongest girl in the district. No way... sounds like we lucked out.

I have to say, I enjoy the acclaim. But the best part is seeing the face of a good girl like Anna turn upside down when she hears it.

Thank you, Sonya. We’ll try not to bother you.

...drat. No reaction. Lame.

After I give my permission, she leads her whole caravan in. The first bunch are a mix of girls and boys. Their clothes are pretty ragged, their hair all messy, and they clearly haven’t slept in days. Then behind them... What the hell?! A bunch of empty, floating school uniforms?! And at the very back of the crowd is me.

Floating sailor suits, huh? That’s quite a coping mechanism.
What are you talking about?! I mean, who even are you?!
I’m you. And you’re dreaming, idiot.
Mmh. Agh.

That makes sense. Something like this has to be a dream... But why did I just call myself an idiot?!

I mean, at least it’s better than a bunch of headless zombies.
What do you mean? Why would there be headless zombies?
Because you killed them all.

Why would I do that?

Because they were going to attack you. Weren’t they, Istina?
There was no other way. They forced your hand.
Right. As long as there’s a good reason for it, violence is okay. That’s how I roll.
Is that really what you think?
I always believed I was doing the right thing.

This is pretty weird, even for a dream. My doppelganger is having a conversation with a girl I barely know, as if they’re old friends. But all reason tells me they’re both just figments of my imagination. That reminds me, shouldn’t I have woken up as soon as I realized I was in a dream?

The instant that thought pops into my head, everyone in the room but my doppelganger and the floating uniforms turn to fix their eyes on me. Every face bears a twisted smile. They surround me.

Everyone: You are our leader. You should stay here. You should lead us.

I try to find the other me. But she’s gone.

----

Ugh...

My eyes shoot open. The room around me is still the classroom. It’s late at night. The others are asleep. I’m slumped up against the door. There is another door, but I barricaded it with my desk. The windows have all been sealed. The door next to me is the only way in or out. I am their leader. I have to protect them.

You can’t sleep, Sonya?

I hear Anna’s voice nearby. It’s been three days since she and her partner joined us. There was some unpleasantness in that time, but Anna sided with me in the end.

Yes. I had a nightmare.
...Don’t let it get to you. You did nothing wrong.

I can’t remember what I was dreaming about, but Anna must be thinking it was something to do with them. She feels bad about it. She never imagined the classmates she trusted would go so far as to attack me just because she asked me to lead them.

I killed them all, of course.

I’ve seen lots of groups fall apart because of little conflicts like this. It’s why I didn’t want to join a group in the first place. I’d rather communicate with my fists than try to manage relationships.

Don’t worry.

I hear a rustling as she moves over to me. I know she wants to comfort me, but it’s obvious she’s the one who needs comforting. I should change the subject.

Anna, were you your class president?
No.
So how did you end up with so many followers?
I was actually very uncomfortable trying to play leader. But Lada kept pushing me, and I just felt... like I had to do something.
Aha! You did have to do something!
You’re teasing me. ...But really, when the kids in my class would bully each other, I knew it was wrong. But I just kept to myself. Kept away from it.
You should’ve kicked their asses. You’re a tough girl.

It’s true. She may look the bookish type, but Anna’s really very good in a fight. She just doesn’t like to apply herself.

If only I was as brave as you. I can never find the courage to stand up to people.

Oops, she sounds even sadder than before. I really don’t know how to comfort a girl. What can I say to cheer her up?

...At- at least you’re standing up now.

That’s the best you could come up with, Sonya?!

...Because I believe it’s wrong. At least, that’s what I thought at first.
What’s wrong?
This. All of it. We’ve been locked up in this school for eight days. Everything keeps getting worse.
It’s all because of that first fire. If it wasn’t for the fire...

After the fire destroyed one of the food pantries, the noble students from #4 Secondary School occupied the other one. Then they started looting. You still see commoners fighting over food. The school looks like a war zone. Debris and graffiti everywhere. And every night is set against the sounds of kids yelling, screaming, crying.

Perhaps, but don’t you think that fire was bound to happen sooner or later?
Are you saying someone started it on purpose?
No. Hrm. How should I put this...? Let me think. It’s more like that which the fire represents would have come about no matter what.
I somehow understand even less.
Even without the fire, something would have happened to send us all into a panic... Is that clearer?
Weird. It must’ve been the bad guys who set the fire. The bad guys...
There will always be bad guys.

I don’t think that’s right. But I don’t know how to argue with her either.

I once read a book that said human nature is evil. I thought it strange at the time. We’ve built such civilized societies. We live lives of order and morality. How can we be inherently evil? It is with this in mind that I was able to muster the courage to gather everyone up and maintain order.
But things kept getting worse. And I did nothing about it. I didn’t restore order. I didn’t save anyone. And without you, my classmates might have already killed me... I’m useless.

Her voice is teetering on the brink of tears. Aaagh, I made this so much worse! Whatever. I don’t know poo poo about morals, order, society or any of that. But I understand what she’s getting at, so I might as well start talking.

What you’re saying is you now think everyone does bad stuff? Including me?
...That’s not what I meant.

Now she sounds surprised. Hah, I got her good with that one. I fight a lot, but they always deserve it!

Okay, don’t be sad. I’ll help you.
...You will?
I’m your leader. And you want to do good. Of course I’ll help you.
...Thank you, Sonya.
Hey, isn’t it customary for a group to get a new name when it gets a new leader? You got any ideas?
Let’s go with... the "Ursus Student Self-Government Group."

...I probably shouldn’t have expected much out of an honor student. But I guess a straightforward, brass tacks name like that is okay, every once in a while.

All right. From this day forward, we will be known as the "Ursus Student Self-Government Group." I lead the group, and you are my counselor.
...Right.

You heard the relief in her voice, and it made you happy. Because you finally protected something. You earned someone’s trust. You started feeling like a real leader, like a hero out of one of those novels.

Who are you?

I’m you. Are you blind?

Sure, she does look exactly like me... But why am I raking myself over the coals like this? And it freaks me out the way she always says what I’m thinking. Not to mention her creepy tone of voice.

It’s no fun for me either. But every time I think back on this night, I want to laugh at myself.
Is that my fault? Or yours? I don’t know. And I’m not going to ask you.

I’m scared you’ll say it was your fault. And I’m just as scared you’ll say it was mine.

Suddenly, I realize the floor beneath my feet has become a bottomless void. And I start to fall. As I fall, I hear disjointed voices calling out.

Think about it, Anna! Sonya alone can’t protect all of us! The only choice is to join them.

Sonya hates the aristocrats, Vika.
So you’re going to risk all our lives?!
I...

Vika is the name of Istina's teddy bear. That she kept as a memento of the girl who fell out the window. Vika was also the Voice Outside the Door, probably.

Music stops.

That’s when the darkness begins to swallow me.

----

Music.

I drop down from the second story window, landing steadily on the ground. They’ll catch me if I take the main entrance, so this is my only way. There’s something I have to do. Something very important to me. I understand Anna. Vika’s idea makes sense. And I’m not so full of myself I think I can take all those noble shitstains on my own.

At least, I couldn’t take them head-on. They’re definitely asleep this late at night. Now’s the time to take them all out once and for all. Well, maybe killing them all is a bit much. Capturing their leader should do the trick. But really, I’ll have to cut off the head to let the body die, at least...

Smack smack smack.

Student A: Please, let me go!

Student B: Helllp!

Student C: Hand over the food you’ve been hoarding!

Student A: We... we don’t have any food, I swear!

Student B: Please!

I’m not going to save them. Not only because I’m busy. I also don’t care. I’ve seen so much of this these past two days. I saved a few. And now we’ve got more kids holed up in the classroom than when Anna showed up with her classmates. So Anna had to listen to Vika. But the truth is, even though she told her I don’t like nobles, it’s actually Anna who hates the aristocrats more than anything. When those shitheads took the last remaining food store and left the rest of the kids to fight over scraps, that was the last straw for Anna.

She doesn’t want to join them.

And I sure as hell can’t change her mind. So it would be nice if the cause of all her worries here just... went away. I think to myself, as I press on, leaving the screams to fade away behind me.

Hm? That tree was still standing yesterday. Who’s bored enough to go around chopping down trees, I...?!

I suddenly trip over something, barely keeping myself upright. I look down to see a fallen road sign, already covered in illegible graffiti.

Hrm.

It’s only been ten days since they locked us in here, but the school looks like it’s been abandoned for years. Pockmarked walls, graffiti, litter, blood... Honestly, I hate it. And I don’t know when it will finally end. I hang my head and press forward, to the fancy scumbags’ base. It’s in this warehouse, with the last of our food.

And who do I see standing there? Me.

Who are you?

I’m you.

Not sure why, but I actually wasn’t that surprised.

You’ll be charging into this warehouse in a minute. You wanted to go right for their leader, but you were never very good at sneaking, so you got caught, and you had to face down a phalanx of fancy rich kids. You’re strong, Sonya. You almost managed to break through them.
But.
But you’ve always been so reckless. You knocked over a lovely candelabra, and, well... Fwooom——

My doppelganger suddenly vanishes, and all I can see before me is a pure, fiery red.

I lit the second fire. The blaze destroyed the nobles’ stronghold, and all the food along with it. Nothing could be saved. And in Anna’s parlance, the fire burned down the final barrier to the students’ indiscriminate and chaotic struggle that followed.

----

Student A: The aristocrats from #4 Secondary School are all gone! Grab what you can!

Student B: I saw those nobles over there! Kill them before they get away!

Student C: Back off! I haven’t eaten in three days! I’m looking for food!

Student B: What did you just say?!

Student C: I said get the hell away from me!

The school descended even further into chaos. Now, nowhere is safe. Some of our Self-Government Group have gone missing. Vika never came back.

The implication is that Istina let Vika die in order to prevent her from betraying them, or something like that.

Student A: Piss off!

Student B: It’s mine!

Student C: Ah... ugh... help...

One day, I can’t remember which, Reunion suddenly left. But they never actually did anything other than lock us inside. And the chaos continued, as if the students didn’t even notice they were gone. As if they were enjoying the chaos.

Hey, the Reunion guys guarding the school are gone!

Leto = Rosalind

Hm...
We can finally leave! Why don’t you look excited, Anna?

It doesn’t matter anymore. Ever since the first fire, none of this had anything to do with Reunion.

No war but the class war. Actually that's a pretty common theme throughout the game.

But we were not ready to escape the chaos. And the next day, the Catastrophe came. The Catastrophe shook everyone. It was then that it became clear that they could all leave. It was also then that we realized things were even worse outside the school.

Is this... a Catastrophe...?
What in the world happened...?
Aaaaaahhh! I’m scared!
Anna, we need to get out of here now!
But... where can we go?

After that, we took refuge in the part of the city that wasn’t overgrown with Originium, hiding from other survivors, hiding from Reunion. In the end, a Rhodes Island squad rescued us, and took us back to their base.

Who’s there?!

A kid?! She’s armed!
...Kiss my rear end.
Wait, we’re here to rescue survivors!

...Huh?
Calm down. We’re with an organization called Rhodes Island. You’re safe now.

I survived. We survived. But I failed to do away with all Anna’s worries. Honestly, I let her down.

Music.

Sonya, the students never would have become like this without the fire.
It- it was an accident!
I don’t blame you, Sonya. But if you had discussed it with me beforehand...
I just wanted you to be able to sleep at night.

Zima, I’m still willing to trust you.

At this point, everyone's nameplates switch from their real names to their Rhodes Island codenames.

But I don’t know how to talk to you about these things.

You're guilty.
I’m not.

You deserve to die.
It wasn’t that bad.

You let me go because you felt guilty.
I didn’t want to kill you.

Don’t beat yourself up. You made a mistake is all.
I can’t stop thinking about it!

I hate you.

And back to the real names.

I...

Waaaaahhhh!

...aaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

She runs to the bathroom.

*Puke*...
*Puke*...!
That dream again.
Anna, I... I...

The brown-haired girl slumps up against the washstand and stares out the window. The moon looks lovely this evening.

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017
Huh, I assumed the Ursus Student Self-Governing Group would be more "Hong Kong circa 2019" than "Battle Royale circa 1999". Though I guess nothing we've heard of Ursus indicates a reason for a student conflict with the army/government.

I guess the timeline is that Mephisto locked them in around the time Reunion started taking over Ursus Chernobog, and they were stuck until after Mephisto's death? And somehow the buildings didn't get destroyed by the Catastrophe? Or was that the cause of the first fire?

I feel like they can't have been in there 10+ days before the takeover, because somebody would have come looking for the kids. If only to rescue the rich ones.

Anyway - Clarste, thank you! You've made things a lot clearer for me as I've gotten into Arknights over the past couple months. Working gradually through the vignettes for a while would be cool, I like getting more context on the characters and sub-groups.

MattDarling fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 1, 2022

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Less Mephisto's death and more Mephisto's troops pissed off to engage in the preparation for the actual combat in Chernobog and taking the central control tower during the Catastrophe. Since the Ursus government deliberately left Chernobog vulnerable, Mephisto's little re-enactment of Lord Of The Flies was likely concealed as part of operations on the fringes of Chernobog.

But yeah, the timeline for this is...strange.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The way it makes most sense to me is that Reunion had already taken control of large parts of Chernobog before the fighting broke out, somehow.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sailor uniforms seem out of place in this setting, somehow.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. I know I just said I'd try to do it daily again, but I've already failed. Well, at least I'm doing it now. Last time we finally got a more complete explanation of what happened to the students in Chernobog, and it was some real Lord of the Flies stuff.

Hypocrisy

Music.

Vanguard Operator: This unripe texture, this slightly-too-salty flavor, oh, I’m finally home again!

Logistics Operator: It was just a long mission. You don’t have to kiss the deck.

Hey, you don’t know how I take to Ursus food. It really doesn’t agree with me. Our canteen’s way better. I like everything here.
The way you just put it, it doesn’t exactly sound like you like it.
Something doesn’t have to taste good for me to like it. I helped some survivors find their relatives and they thanked me with a banquet. A big, classy, noble shindig. But let’s just say my palate isn’t so refined.
Yeah, sure. You’re totally dependent on the Rhodes Island Cafeteria. So what was the mission?
I’m pretty sure you know the deal. Resettling the refugees from Chernobog in other Ursus cities. Easy stuff, but time-consuming.
Forget I asked. I know how much refugee ops mean to you.
Yeah. There’s only so much we can do when there’s so many of them and so few of us. But a life saved is a life saved. I heard Dobermann talking about how we’re not in the best position with Ursus right now, so it’s great that Amiya and the Doctor are still willing to do these rescue operations.
Sure. We lucked out with those two. Well, there’s another one we owe a lot of thanks too.
Oh yeah, I heard about her out on the road. Some girl named Natalya?
Right. She’s a big celebrity here now.
Oooh, my ears are burning.
Hey, Natalya, how you doing?

Good afternoon, Mr. Saren. And you are...?
Codename Compass. Nice to meet you.
Compass... a fine codename. Good afternoon. Would you mind if I joined you?
By all means!
Hey, didn’t I hear she was just a student? This is no little girl! She’s *gulp* pretty big!

Natalya is about as tall as a grown man, at least judging by the portraits.

What do you think "student" means?
I don’t know how to talk to a lady like this!
Relax. Natalya’s real easy-going.
Did I happen to overhear that the good Compass has just returned from resettling refugees?
That’s right. We were just talking about it.
I was telling him all that you did to help.
Oh my role was completely trivial.
You’re too modest. If it wasn’t for Natalya pushing the survivors along, we would’ve had a much tougher time.
The refugees were talking about her too. They said there was a kind young lady who told them Rhodes Island is good people. And after hearing it right from Saren, I really gotta thank you, Miss Natalya. The refugees having a good image of us makes all the difference in the world. Without you, I know things would’ve gone bad out there. I mean, I was a refugee too. I know how they think. But it still sucks when you’re trying to do good and people don’t trust you.
I did the absolute bare minimum. It was you out there doing the real work, Compass. And it’s not that they don’t trust Rhodes Island. It’s that they’ve suffered a Catastrophe and they don’t trust anyone. I sensed that Rhodes Island had everyone’s best interests at heart. And having been Student Council President, I was used to this business. It’s what I’m good at.
You hear that, Saren? This is how you talk to people. Listen up.
Didn’t I just say Natalya is easy-going?
When word got around that the new kid was some aristocratic heiress, we were all worried about getting along. But it turns out she’s good at her job, easy to talk to, super easy to get along with. We all love Natalya.
Oh my no. Everyone’s only willing to put up with me because I’m so young.
Speaking of, did you decide to stay with Rhodes Island?
I did. I passed the Logistics Department’s examination last week. I am now formally employed by Rhodes Island Pharmaceuticals.
Wow, that’s great news. You’re gonna love it here, trust me.
I’m already very pleased. As long as we’re on the subject, Mr. Saren, I’ve finished compiling the second refugee manifest, pairing names with destinations. If you wouldn’t mind sending it along after lunch.
What? Already? That means the refugees we saved all have somewhere to go?
Yes. Aside from those who are still undergoing treatment.
Incredible. It’s a good thing the section chief put you on the task.
I’m only doing my duty.
I guess I’d better go put in for the second resettlement op then.
You want to head out there again? Didn’t you just get done telling me you can’t stand Ursus food?
Yeah, but seeing the survivors return to their homes and their relatives, seeing them so happy makes up for it. Right, I’m about done with lunch. Help me with the tray, will you? I gotta go apply.
Hey, bus your own tray! Sorry about him, Natalya. That’s just how he is.
Our good Compass has quite the attachment to the refugees...?
He does. You heard him say he was a refugee too, right? One of our teams saved him, so he’s pretty gung ho about any ops that have to do with refugees.
And you seem to get along well?
Oh, yeah. I guess we do. He was in Logistics for a bit, before transferring to the front lines. We had some time together, our personalities clicked, and so we’re friends. You’re with that Ursus Student Self-government Group, right?
Yes. But Son... Zima and the girls are front line operators like Compass, and I’m in Logistics.
I heard you were all found together. You’re very close too?
...Yes, yes we are. We were together all that time. We’re very close.
You went through it as a group. That’s good. Err, not to say that kind of hardship is good.
I know what you mean.

Music stops.

Oh? Zima...
Speak of the devil, huh? Is she staring at you?
Yes.

...Forgive me, Saren. I must be going.
Yeah, sure.

----

Music.

Are you looking for me, Zima?
Are you okay? You look pale.
I... I’m fine. I shouldn’t have come looking for you. Forget I was here.
Hey, wait.

She runs after her.

Don’t touch me!
Talk to me, Sonya. We haven’t had a good talk since we came here.
Come to my room.

----

Music.

Have a seat. Care for a drink? Coffee? Tea? I have both.
...That’s the aristocrat in you.
You still have the strength to tease me. Looks like you’re in better shape than I thought. Your face back there was a ghastly sight. Let’s call it coffee then. Rhodes Island has some fine beans, but I can’t say the same for their tea. I’ve heard it has to do with the Chief Engineer. She’s quite particular about her coffee. What do you think?
How should I know?
Heh heh. I’ve been hearing nothing but praise lately. I’d missed your venomous tongue.
And I’m sick of you already.
Do you take it with sugar?
No.
Really? It’s black.
No.
Alright. Enjoy.

...Bleh.
It’s too bitter, isn’t it?
Come now. Take a spoonful of sugar.
Did you drag me here to screw with me?
You’re the one who wouldn’t take the sugar, Sonya.
Hmph.
And let’s not forget, it was you who came looking for me.
I already told you, that was a mistake. We’re not friends. I don’t like you.
True. We’re not friends. Nor is Anna my friend. We simply survived together.
Simply...
Sonya, there are some things that are harder to say to those closest to you. If you were my friend, I would not have brought you here. Some things can only be said to someone unimportant, someone who understands your situation. For me, the best person is Anna. But you’ll do. Mmm... Rosalind is too direct and open. While Lada is too honest and kindhearted. They won’t do. Surely you feel the same. Which means you have only me, I’m afraid. I’m honestly not surprised you came to me.
Does that mean you want to talk to me?
Yes.
Why?
...Sonya, these last two months, how do you feel, fighting as an operator?
What do you mean "feel?" It’s just fighting. I guess it does suck to have to listen to that Doctor.
Your talking back to the Doctor even made it up to Logistics. You’re quite something.
...I’m not like you. I don’t talk fancy.
What I really want to ask is, after all we’ve been through, do you not struggle to pick up a weapon?
...I like fighting.
I see... Still, I think it would be in your best interest to learn some "fancy talk." It could save your life.
You don’t have to worry.
We may not be friends, but we’ve been through so much together. I think it’s normal to care about you, as a colleague. And to tell the truth, I do quite like you. I would like to be your friend.
...Huh?
To be more precise, I’d say I envy you. Because you do so easily what I could never do. Now then, Sonya, won’t you tell me what made you seek me out?

...I've been having nightmares lately.
Can you describe them to me?
...No.
Alright. Let me guess. They must be something you can’t talk to Anna about. Otherwise you wouldn’t have come to me, right?
...Right.
I figured it out while we were still in Chernobog. You two have an understanding. You each know what the other needs, but you avoid talking about it.
None of your business.
Relax, I’m not trying to tell you what to do. I’m in no position to be giving advice to others right now. Let’s talk about something else, Sonya. Do you plan to live your life as Zima now?
What do you mean?
I mean are you going to stay at Rhodes Island? We don’t have to. The people here are very understanding. If we wanted to leave, they would send us off somewhere peaceful. There are many survivors like us, rescued at the same time, already on their way back to Ursus. If we wanted to, we could go to another city in the Empire and start new lives.
So why haven’t you left?
I don’t know.
......?

There are some footsteps, like Natalya turned and walked to the window or something.

Nice weather today. Isn’t it, Sonya? Perfect for a picnics.
Hey.
Back when we were combing through the ruins, desperate for food, stretching a single bottle of water to last an entire day, I often thought to myself: "If I survive this, I’m going to find a lovely garden on a sunny afternoon and have a sumptuous picnic."
Hey!
But far more often I thought——

"I wish you'd killed me that day."

Music stops.

Don’t hesitate. Don’t pity me. Don’t think to save me. Look down at this wretched aristocrat girl, and swing your axe. It may have been the very best thing for me, had you just ended my life right there.
There’s still time.
You really could?

Music.

We left that place, Sonya. We’ve returned to the civilized world. We must think as civilized people. We must use civilized methods to solve our problems. Those things that happened back there cannot happen again.
Who cares.
You care. You’re a good person, Sonya. "General Zima," Protector of the Weak, Bane of the Bullies.
Don’t make me puke.
That’s the Sonya I heard rumors about.
I just can’t stand those punks who get a little bit of strength and think it’s a license to bully.
You must hate the aristocracy then?
Duh. A bunch of a fake-rear end self-important shitheads.
Yes. They, or rather we, are "fake-rear end self-important shitheads." Since you brought me back, I don’t think I’ve ever told you what happened to me before you showed up, did I?
Nope. I just know you were in charge of that gang of nobles.
I’ll tell you the story.
Whatever.
Most of the nobility and wealthy people fled the city when Reunion came, or even before.
They knew they were coming?
Yes. They did.
...sons of bitches.
Indeed. But you know, nobles are selfish.
You too?
Yes.
So why did you stay?
My family was just too slow. We were trapped with some other noble families. Some houses didn’t take the threat seriously, of course.
Oh.
Come now, don’t give me that face. This background is important to frame the story. We’ll get to the good part. In short, the students who were sent to your school fell into into either the “slow” or “stupid” categories. We were at first meant to stay with our parents, for Reunion to use as hostages to bargain with the Empire. But in the end, we were separated and sent to the school.
That’s kinda weird.
It was. Nobles make good hostages in a time of war. Not to be wasted. The aristocracy is elegant, noble, and should command respect. Even as a captive, one must never forget her house.
You’re all screwed in the head.
The old me would have locked you in a two hour debate for saying that, Sonya. Because that’s how I was raised. But now, I agree. There is no real difference between nobles and commoners. It’s all window dressing. Scrape off the veneer and the aristocracy is truly ugly. We talked about how if it weren’t for the first fire, if we didn’t lose that food store, things wouldn’t have gotten so bad.
But Anna said even without the fire, something else would have happened.
If I had been through that, I would have thought the same. But in any case, it’s post-hoc—— "What needed to happen to cause all that came after." The funny thing is, nobles don’t need anything to happen. Put them together and they fight.
Why?
Should I get into the differences between new and old nobility? The mayor’s political leanings? How many factions there are in the Chernobog aristocracy?
Could you, like, not do that?
But then you won’t understand why they fight.
I guess I’ll just never understand.
I’m not really interested in these things either. But as a daughter of the House of Rostov, I had to learn. All you need to know is that from the very first day we were locked up in the school, the noble students were backstabbing each other. I had no choice but to step forward as the Student Council President of #4 Secondary School and use my status to bring order.
You mean you organized them to put an end to the infighting?
Sounds reasonable, doesn’t it? In order to stop my classmates from fighting, I stood up and took charge.

----

Music.

Viktor: Uh, ah...

Nikola: Don’t think you rule the roost just because your father owns a mine, Pavel!

Pavel: A mere baron dares to take such a tone with me. He’s lucky he doesn’t find my blade in his chest. As for you, second son of the House of Ivanov, when did it become your turn to speak? Maybe you’d like a new hole in your torso as well?

Nikola: How dare you...?! My father is a councilor!

Pavel: A councilor? Do you know how many councilors come to my mother’s soirees every Sunday? Oh, you don’t? Because your father doesn’t make the cut.

Nikola: You!

Hold your tongue, Pavel!

Pavel: Please, Natalya, call me Pasha. You need not be so formal.

I’m serious, Pavel Nikolaevich! You are not to start another senseless quarrel!

Pavel: As you wish, my esteemed President of the Student Council.

Tatyana, please bandage Viktor’s wound.

Tatyana: O- of course!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have been sealed inside this school. We know not what will happen. But I suspect that Reunion Movement won’t let us go lightly. Look at what you’ve become. It hasn’t been twelve hours and you’re arguing, fighting, even threatening to kill your fellow nobles. Is this how the aristocracy behaves?!

Anton: Who the hell are you? Why should I listen to you?!

Tatyana: Because she is the president of the student council at #4 Secondary School, Natalya Andreyevna Rostova!

Anton: Y- you’re the eldest daughter of Count Rostov?!

Andrey: She is the "Pearl of #4," the one whom Count Rostov has declared his heir.

We have gathered here the nobility from each district secondary school. I do not wish to focus on my rank. I simply must impress upon you all the gravity of our situation. We find ourselves surrounded by many common students, and I do not want them to see such disgraceful conduct from us. Furthermore, while we have been trapped here by the Reunion Movement, they will not seek to harm us, if they wish to secure concessions from the Empire. Are we going to waste our precious lives on such infighting?!
We need unity, now more than ever!

----

Of course, we now know Reunion didn’t give a drat about us aristocrats.

Anyway, I was able to put a stop to their fighting. But in a situation like that, pretty words and a fancy title will only get you so far. Sonya, do you know why the Empire of Ursus is as strong as it is? In fact, there were quite a few noble students who were unwilling to submit to my authority, or share the same room with someone else, and left the group. In the end, I had some three dozen under me. At the time, I thought I had done very well.
So that’s why there were still so many noble shitstains lurking around.
Yes, I’m sure they made their own groups as well.
How was I supposed to know?
It’s a shame. I’m enjoying this conversation with you, but I do wish Anna was here for it.
Don’t change the subject.
Oh, I’m sorry. I do have more to say, but it’s hard to get the words out. Ursus is what it is today because of war. The previous monarch waged endless war, pillaging resources, and investing them in the next campaign. As long as there was war, the Empire could function, the people united in their common struggle.

----

Music stops.

Nikola: I... I agree with President Rostova.

Pavel: I will submit to the President’s leadership.

If you are all willing to put your trust in me, I am willing to serve the group.
(I was able to stop the fight, barely, but what do I do next...?)

Pavel: That being the case, I have a proposal.

Oh?

Pavel: You were correct when you said we have a responsibility to preserve the dignity of the aristocracy. Therefore, it’s time the commoners offered us a contribution, to ensure we can live in such dignity.

Ah, taxation.

----

Music.

You mean...?
Yes, I agreed to let them prey on the commoners.
Sonya, I used to think myself a good person. At least, at the time, that’s how I thought. I would find the social machinations of the aristocracy boring and hypocritical, I would bemoan the tragedies of the world, I would even serve meals to refugees. But I will not lie to you, or to myself. At that time, to unite the nobles, I allowed them to pillage.

"Wham!" The white-haired girl is thrown to the floor. She takes a few solid hits to the face. And as the slight trickle of crimson blood slips from her mouth, it curls into a smile.
A tragic smile.

*Cough,* *cough...*
You piece of...
I am a monster. But you know, Sonya, I wouldn’t realize it if I never spent that time with you, if I never came to Rhodes Island. Without these experiences, I would not think as I do now. You taught me that I am not noble, in the true sense of the word. And that is the most painful knowledge I must endure. That is why I say it would have been better had you killed me like you did my companions. I could have died peacefully, indulging in the fantasy that I was a good girl, that I was forced by circumstance to do what I did.

...Do you know, Sonya, what this is?

A letter opener.
These past few months, I have twenty-six times thought to slit my wrists. Fifteen times I thought to slash open my throat.
...You can count ‘em, huh?
Because each time I fail, I laugh at myself for being such a stupid coward. That stays with me. Of course, I’ve considered more aristocratic methods as well: poisoned tea, a saber. I’ve even thought carefully about what calligraphic style to use in my suicide note. Unfortunately, all of those methods would be discovered before I could pull off the deed. And I don’t want to make trouble.
What’s your point?

I... I told Rhodes Island: I want to stay here and do what I can for the people of Ursus. I told myself: Natalya, this is your atonement. But is that true? Whenever I think of Nikola’s smile, of any of their faces as they came to me, triumphant after robbing the commoners; of my cowardice as I smiled back at them, rather than reprimanding their evil. Whenever I think of all that I let them do, of the plans I would make for them, of the joy I took in our comfortable hoard of supplies. Whenever I think of all the screaming and crying I ignored, of how I thought myself innocent by way of circumstance, of how I began to grow accustomed to living that way.
Sonya, can you believe it? That in that entire battle royale, I did not kill a single person? And yet, I bear the most guilt. Did you think I brought you here to tell you what you should do? No, Sonya. I don’t know. I have no idea. About anything. I don’t even know how to tell people I don’t know! All I can do is put on that stupid facade that I have everything perfectly under control as I drag you in here!

Music stops.

Do you...?
Phew, I’m sorry. I lost my composure.
...Do you want something to drink?
Black tea, please. Thank you.
Okay.
So uh, where do you keep the black tea? You’ve got a shitload of different tea boxes over here. I can’t tell what’s what.

She starts rummaging.

Oof.

Hup. I’ll get it, Sonya.
Uh, sorry.
It just occurred to me you probably don’t know how to make tea. Forgive the momentary lapse in judgment that pushed you to do something you’re not good at.
Why you...

Music.

Say, Sonya, what exactly were you thinking back then?
Huh?
After the fire, I ran as fast as I could only to be caught by some other students. Why did you save me? You knew of course that I was the leader of the nobles wreaking havoc just days before.
I forget. You probably just looked too pathetic.
Then why would you let me join the Self-Government Group?
Because Anna said it was okay. Do you want me to hate you, Natalya?
I don’t know. Can you hate me?
I’ve never seen a shithead admit she’s a shithead before.
So a shithead who admits she’s a shithead isn’t a shithead anymore?
...Do you want me to crush you?
I’m no masochist. It’s just, how should I say? I’d like to be honest with you, um, after all that you just heard, to avoid any misunderstandings.
Maso... what?
Oh, that’s just a kind of "hobby" popular in aristocratic circles. I’ve only heard rumors, actually. Don’t worry about it.
As long as I don’t have to kick your rear end again.
You don’t want to?
Do you prefer Columbian or Victorian? Tea, that is.
...You’re right back to your old self. Whatever, I can’t drink it anyway.
It’s how I was raised. I must show my most refined side at all times. Sugar?
...Yeah.
Sorry, you can’t sweeten this kind of tea. Drink it straight, please.
You suck.
Hmph. Look, Natalya, I don’t know how I’m supposed to cheer you up. And anyway I really don’t wanna.
Oh? Not only do you not hate me, you want to comfort me?
Shut your tea hole.
Alright, alright.
I hate trying to comfort people. Every time I try, I screw everything up. All I can do is tell you what I’m thinking. You asked me a while ago if I was gonna keep on living as Zima. The answer is yes. My mom and dad died in Chernobog. There’s nothing for me to go back to. I don’t wanna go back to Ursus. So that’s that.
I think I should be able to understand your pain or whatever, but I really don’t. At first, I thought you wanted to justify yourself. Punks talk like that when they want to sucker-punch me while I’m distracted. But you seem legit sad. Why? Those noble shitstains wouldn’t have been any better off without you. And you’re not the one who turned them into dickheads anyway. You didn’t make all that happen. It was actually me...
You?
Nothing, forget it. But if I was one of those nobles, I might’ve liked having a leader like you. Same way Istina chose me. You did what you could. I only hate you because you were my enemy before you weren’t. Also I hate nobles. That’s all. Oh, and I have nightmares, and the nightmares make me puke, and then I can’t sleep because I’m sad.

She's very concise.

But doing what you can to survive isn’t bad. And I don’t think it was bad to let you live. You think you’re a shithead. But I know, without you, just relying on Anna, we never would’ve survived those next couple weeks. Just go for a run. Eat when you’re hungry. Sleep when you’re tired. Better than sitting around moping.
Ha.
What?
Ahahahahaha.
What’s making you laugh like that? Jeez, you’re tearing up.
Nothing. It’s just, this is why it’s nice to chat with you. If it were Anna and me, we’d be bawling our eyes out over each other by now.
She doesn’t like you either, don’t forget.
I know. Pfft. Hahaha! I know. Listen, Sonya.
What are you doing?
I want you to know, you completely failed to address my problem.
I’m way too lazy to care.
And I think there’s nothing I could do to help with yours. But you were right on one point: we survived. Do you think we’ll get over it, in the end?
Huh?
The circle beneath our feet, the night, the maze, our minds, our thoughts, the abyss.
Could you use like, real words?
Right, right. Anyway, operators all have codenames, right? If I were to become an operator, what should my codename be?
How should I know? Anna picked mine.
Okay. What do you think of Rosa?
Ursine for "dew?"
Yes, like morning dew. Can you call me "Rosa?"
O...kay?

It’s settled. If I’m to become an operator, they’ll call me Rosa.

As a final note, the "token" she gives you for recruiting her is the knife she thought about killing herself with. Take that how you will.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

quote:

A paper cutter. She solemnly handed it to you, but you're not sure why.

If anyone wants the description of her token.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I must say, Kal'tsit, you definitely made the right call accepting these kids as patients. They're clearly in dire need of psychiatric care.

What's that? Operators? Oh dear...

How many traumatised child soldiers does one woman need?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's implied that they are in psychiatric care: recall that Istina was given a recorder to talk into. It's just that they're also working at the same time (and volunteered to fight, for what that's worth). Rosa was in logistics, for example.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Fair point about Istina, but I still have to question the ethics of letting them anywhere near combat, even if they claim to be okay with it. Especially if they claim to be okay with it.

This isn't a criticism, to be clear. This is some of my favourite writing in the game so far. But I'm never sure if Rhodes Island are supposed to seem this evil. Maybe I'm supposed to compartmentalise some of this stuff away as "anime logic", but that's hard in cases like this where the writing is, if anything, too convincing.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

FractalSandwich posted:

I must say, Kal'tsit, you definitely made the right call accepting these kids as patients. They're clearly in dire need of psychiatric care.

What's that? Operators? Oh dear...

How many traumatised child soldiers does one woman need?

FractalSandwich posted:

Fair point about Istina, but I still have to question the ethics of letting them anywhere near combat, even if they claim to be okay with it. Especially if they claim to be okay with it.

This isn't a criticism, to be clear. This is some of my favourite writing in the game so far. But I'm never sure if Rhodes Island are supposed to seem this evil. Maybe I'm supposed to compartmentalise some of this stuff away as "anime logic", but that's hard in cases like this where the writing is, if anything, too convincing.

Rhodes Island has a pretty established policy on this sort of thing, and the primary focus of it is self-determination.

There's a reason they threw Ceobe in early on the event, because she's one of the more extreme examples of RI's approach. She's an amnesiac who only remembers traveling, fighting, and picking up weapons, and Rhodes Island found her basically just in time to stabilize her Oripathy before it was too late to treat. Mentally, she's basically a feral child. But rather than sit her down in a classroom and force her to grow up or to develop her extraordinary talent for Arts, they let her fight, steal things from the kitchen when she's hungry (with gentle nudging to make sure she doesn't actually cause problems), and even to keep her weapons on her at all times. Is that what's "best for her"? Probably not! Could that go horribly wrong? Oh, definitely! But it makes her happy.

It's probably a policy devised because Oripathy patients are both disabled and a discriminated-against underclass: they're people who, generally speaking, have had a lot less choice available in their lives. So Rhodes Island requires those staying onboard to contribute in some way, provides resources and treatment, sets ground rules, and otherwise gives them free rein.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sure, but we're running a pharmaceutical-company-slash-paramilitary-organisation here, not an orphanage. No matter how you look at it, sending mentally ill teenagers into combat just because they want to be there is taking libertarianism too far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The CEO is a troubled 14 year old with baggage so clearly this is something Rhodes has always been all for.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Clarste posted:

It’s how I was raised. I must show my most refined side at all times. Sugar?
...Yeah.
Sorry, you can’t sweeten this kind of tea. Drink it straight, please.
You suck.
the other self-government group stories were just kinda "yeah alright" but this one really landed on all counts. this bit in particular made me laugh out loud

FractalSandwich posted:

The core tension at the heart of Rhodes Island is that for all their lofty idealism they also can't help but reflect the violent structures of the world to some extent, fundamentally still being a private military pharmacorp, and I think providing mentally ill teens with therapy and a social support network but also sending them off to war is a pretty on-point way to illustrate that

Terry van Feleday fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 4, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Terry van Feleday posted:

the other self-government group stories were just kinda "yeah alright" but this one really landed on all counts. this bit in particular made me laugh out loud

I have to say that the translation also does a very good job of giving Natalya and Sonya different voices here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Sure, but we're running a pharmaceutical-company-slash-paramilitary-organisation here, not an orphanage. No matter how you look at it, sending mentally ill teenagers into combat just because they want to be there is taking libertarianism too far.

We're talking about a world in which a medical company also HAS a war branch. Don't judge it by the values of our world where you can get locked up just for punching a dude.