Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even May, the dumbass who likes to play Great Detective, acknowledged that murder isn't much of a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Indecisive posted:

We're talking about a world in which a medical company also HAS a war branch. Don't judge it by the values of our world where you can get locked up just for punching a dude.
Sure, it calls for some level of moral relativism, but Rhodes Island aren't complete barbarians. Their combat division is supposed to be fighting to protect something, and if not psychologically compromised refugee children, then who? Who could need them more?

At any rate, if that's the story we're telling, I'm on board for it. It would be boring if Rhodes Island were the sole bastion of pure righteousness in an otherwise edgy world. That would be way too easy, and this is an interesting character flaw for them to have, but it is a character flaw. I just don't see any way around that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. Last time, Natalya and Sonya had a meaningful conversation that changed nothing and solved none of their problems, but maybe that was enough.

Talking in Riddles

Music.

Rhodes Island Training Center
One-on-One Close Combat Training Room

Pow pow pow.

Hyah!

Too slow.
Really? Then why’d you block? Save the talk.
Throw us in the ring and I’ll have you on the ground in round one.
I’m not so sure.
How about this, Leto: You gimme another set. You land a good hit, and I give you a prize. Sound good?
Yeah, sure. Take this!

Pow.

Yeah, not bad. More power in there. Steady breathing too. My turn. For the prize!
Oraoraora!

Pow pow.

Mmh! Phew, *cough,* *hack...* Shura! You...! *Cough* *cough* *hack...* Phew... whew.
Can you teach me that move?!
Oh I can teach. But can you learn?
It’s just throwing your fists around a bit. What’s to learn?
It’s a trick I use against those “bugs” when I’m diggin’ out honey. Does good work on the thorny bastards in the ring too.
Really?
Oh yeah. Total knockout, every time. How else could it go? If you really wanna learn, head outside and dig out some honey. You’ll get it quick. Trust me.
Eh? Nah, screw that. You’re the Beehunter.
The Beehunter’s an Ursus who fights for her life. But if we’re talkin’ about the future? My money’s on little Leto.
Hehe, now that’s what I like to hear.
Okay, break’s over, come fight me. ‘Course, if you’d rather take a beating, we can do that too. I’m okay spendin’ the rest of our training room time makin’ you my punching bag.
Just you wait, Shura. I’m gonna get you this time!
Ooh—— If you can’t hit me with your fists, why not get a weapon?

C’mon, I have my pride, Shura. Although, the training room weapons all have safety features. Getting hit with ‘em just hurts a bit. You grab one too. We’ll spar.
Sure.
Knucklers for you?
Plenty of folks in the ring like polearms.
Hum, finally getting serious, are we?
There’s two ways to deal with somebody using a polearm, you know?
I dunno. Teach me.
Sure.

Announcement: You have——twenty minutes——of time left in this training room. Use your time wisely and prepare the room for use by other operators. Repeat: You have——

Runnin’ outta time. Okay, let’s go!
C’mon!
So fast! Gah.

----

Gulp——

Gulp gulp, aaahhh——that’s sweet.
Don’t chug so much water right after training. You’ll get midnight cramps.
That’s Future Leto’s problem. Right now it feels amazing.
How ‘bout it? You learn something today?
Yeah.
Hehe. Lay it on me.
Never, ever get close to a boxer.
The knucklers are just there to scare ya. I only came at you with my shoulders and elbows. Plus you got safety gear. No way you got hurt.
But I couldn’t block you at all, Shura. What kind of training did you do to get so fast? You have to teach me.
I fought a lot, I didn’t die. Ta-dah. Take enough beatings and you’ll learn how somebody’s gonna wanna come at you. And if you don’t, you get dumpstered pretty quick.
What about me? Am I dumpstered?
You’ve got me and your sisters lookin’ out for you. You ever end up in a dumpster, we’ll come fish you out.
You say that like I’m garbage.
Hahaha. Don’t sweat it, Leto. You’re still a kid. Get some experience under your belt and you’ll be a lot stronger. No question.
Don’t patronize me! I even——!
(Muttering) I even stood up to Reunion.
Huh?
(Quietly) Why haven’t I heard this before? You’re not makin’ it up, are ya?
No way. How about this? Let’s go wash up, get something to eat, make ourselves comfortable, and I’ll tell you the whole story.
Sounds good. I asked Logistics to make me up a honey drink a couple days ago. Perfect timing. And Dur-nar, I hear she did up some wild snacks the other day. Word on the street is she’ll sell you some if you give her the password. Ready? Break.
Okay. See you back at the dorm. Hey, wait!
What’s up?
Duh.
(Quietly) What’s the password? It was always Gummy and Her Worship who did stuff like this. I dunno how.
Oh, come here, I’ll tell ya.
(Quietly) Listen up. I’m only gonna say it once. Don’t ask questions.
(Quietly) Got it.
(Quietly) Dur-nar’s Snack Network covers all of Rhodes Island. But for security, you can only get access by invitation from somebody the network trusts. I usually work through Haze. She’s hella discreet. You knock six times. Long, short, long, long, short, long. Get it?
(Quietly) Got it.
(Quietly) Then you make conversation when they open the door. When they say the word “glockenspiel,” you gotta immediately reply, “this one’s pretty good.” Then you’ll get the price and you’re golden. Don’t forget: “Glockennnspiel,” long in the middle, short at the end. Get it?
(Quietly) Got it.
Good. I gotta shower. Later.
See ya.

Hmmm—— I gotta go through all that just to get some snacks? That’s a pain in the rear end. I’ll just get Gummy to do it.

----

One hour later...
Rhodes Island Dormitories
Leto and Beehunter’s Room

Shura, I got the——Hey, you started drinking already!
I got bored waiting for you. But I bought lots. Why can’t I do a little pregaming?
Yeah all right. I actually nibbled on the snacks a bit on my way back. They’re good.
You think the Beehunter would stand for less? C’mon, let’s eat, play a hand or two to warm up, and then you tell us about your big adventure.
Okay.

----

Pair of 7s.
Pair of kings.

----

Royal.
Four-of-a-kind.

----

Straight flush.
Royal flush.

----

20, stand.
Ace, 4. Tough call. Hit me.
Push? Okay, let’s go again.

Hold!
Hit me.
Hit.
2 Hit.
Ace.
I win.
I’m done!
Wait. What’s goin’ on today? You always have lovely luck at cards.
Huh——?
Hey—— Is your face red?
Red? Am I drunk? No way.
We’re only three or four cans in, and this is non-alcoholic. You must be drunk on honey just like me!
Is that a thing?
Yeah! And it’s hittin’ you a lot harder than it hits me. And here I thought I was the only one who got honey drunk. Heh, hahahaha! Oh this is awesome!

What’re you talking about? The great and mighty Leto would never get *hic* drunk!
Yes, yes, God-Empress Leto. All hail! Hahahahaha!
What are you laughing at? If we’re done with the cards then get over here and listen to the story of Leto the Great.
Yes, Your *snicker* Majesty, Leto the Great. Hehe.
Listen well, Bee——Beehunter. The G-great One speaks. Nnnng—— Right, let’s start from the beginning!
I’m havin’ way too much fun today. I gotta record this.
Where are you going, Beehunter?!
To get the Great One something to wet her whistle!
Oh?

Knock knock.

Who dares?!
Me. Gummy said you sent her to get snacks. I’m here for my cut.
Oh!

Door opens.

Sure, here you go.

Cool. Thanks.
Hm? ...What? Is there something on the Great... err, my face?
Did you eat honey?
Oh, honey? N- no. Don’t be silly.
Where’s Beehunter?
She’s, uh, not here.

Oh Mighty Leto——I’ve brought your refreshments. Hey, Zima, how ya doin’?
Hmph. Beehunter, come. Let me ask you something.
Oh? What is it?
What’s up with her?
Her? Oh, she’s honey drunk. And it’s hittin’ her way harder than it ever does me. She’s supposed to be telling me some story about her adventures before. You wanna listen in too? Or I could just record it for ya.
Nah.
Zima——gimme back Beehunter——I gotta——nng, I gotta tell her my glorious war stories——
Yeah, sure, you can have her. I’m out. Have a good time, Leto.
Okay! See ya, General Zima!

She leaves.

*Sigh*. C’mon, Leto. Stop standin’ in the door makin’ a fool of yourself.
Leto what?
Fine, fine. Leto the Great and Mighty, get inside already.
Good enough.
Um, excuse me?

Huh?
What’s up, Mousse?

Um, well, I’m sorry to bother you so late. But, if it wouldn’t be too much trouble, do you think you could have your conversation inside your room?
That’s exactly what I wanna doooooo.
I am so sorry about the noise. Lemme just close our door there.
I’m the one who’s sorry!
No, really.

Nnnnnng!

Door closes.

Phew, you’re drunker than drunk.
If you say so. Beehunter! Another can!
Sure, why not? Go big or go home.
GLUG——GLUG——Ahhh! Awesome.
That good? Let’s hear the story.
Yeah, where were we?
Hadn’t even started.
Oh, huh. Then I guess I better hike up my skirt and start again. Hm... But I should probably drink something first.
Hey!

----

Music.

Ah—— I could go for another ice soda. If only that gang of nobles hadn’t taken apart the vending machine. Glug, glug glug. Phew——
Hm? Somebody else thinks they can make it out of the campus? The masked dudes just pushed ‘em back in. Tsk.

Student A: Hey, aren’t you Rosalind from class 3?

Yeah, that’s me.

Student B: We’re from the Peterheim Benevolent Society. Our boss, Big Andrey, wants you to join us. How about it? Give it some thought?

Nah. Not interested.

Student A: Are you really turning us down?

In the past two days, like four or five different gangs have tried to poach me? I don’t even get why we have so many little groups. And they all have such big, tough names.

Student B: Huh? What’s that supposed to mean...?

Student A: Woah, don’t provoke her. Rosalind, there’s kids from a whole bunch of different schools here now. Even a bunch from a noble school got sent to ours. You know how many of our classmates get pushed around by those noble pricks. Isn’t it time for us all to band together? Andrey says as long as you come along, he’ll treat you right. You’ll have food, drinks, anything leftover can go to you too. Just think about it, “General Leto.”

Hm... Well... Okay, I agree to your terms.

Student B: Awesome! Thanks for being so reasonable!

Hold on a sec. Don’t get too excited. You gotta get me what I want.

Student A: Go on.

Find Sonya and get her to ask me to join.

Student A: Err...

That’s all you gotta do, and I’ll wear your armband.

Student A: ......

Student A: ...We need to think this one over.

Sure. Take your time. See ya.

They leave.

I deal with these boring punks every day. Pain in the rear end. Hm? Come on, did I drink that much just now?
There’s no more? *Sigh*. This sucks.

Noble Student: You’re Rosalind.

Here we go again... Yeah, that’s me.

Noble Student: You, you, and you, go.

Oh, we’re fighting? Wow. Well okay then. This is way more fun than talking!

Crack.

----

Music stops.

I never had these before. Always too lazy to deal with the shell. Mm, I never knew these nuts were so good.
So that means it wasn’t just kids from your school in there already?
They took students from a bunch of different nearby schools and locked them in with us. Including the gopniks from Her Worship’s school.
Sorry, which one are you talking about there?
Oh, that’s Natalya. One of the Ursus girls with us. I just got used to calling her that. She’s not a bad girl. But back then she was into some real messed up poo poo. We all remember.
Hey, Beehunter, do the thing for me again.
Which?
The thing you just did. That trick where you crack the nuts with your hands.
Gimme one.
Here.
Watch.

Crack.

----

Music.

Student: D- don’t kill me! Aieeeee!

They run away.

Coward. *Spit*. You all suck at putting out fires, but you sure are good at stealing. Wait, no. I don’t have any food here either. Why are they always coming at me? They’re all gopniks from our school. None of these punks have armbands. How am I supposed to know if they’re with Andrey or Vasily?
I’ll take a few bits, just to fill my stomach. I can’t keep going like this. They bug me every night. The garbage from #4 took over the cafeteria cold storage, and the other canteen went up in smoke. Drinks are gonna be the least of my problems if this keeps up. I won’t have food or water. Gotta think... Hm...

What if I went to Sonya? She’s already got a couple kids over there, right? She won’t mind taking one more. Yeah, that’s it. That could work. I offer up a few cans and she’ll let me right in. Good idea. That’ll be a little more “stable” at least.

...Never would’ve thought the the world’s second strongest would have to go beg first place for help.
...But I’d be able to get a good night’s sleep over there...

----

Hey, Sonya, are you here? I wanna talk to you. Sonya? It’s me...
Eep?!

Sonya? Wh- what happened? Uh... Err, really, I’m coming in.
...Hm?

I, uh, didn’t mean... I just wanted to, err, I want to join you. Sonya?
Rosalind, I need a hand. The ones slumped up against the wall. Take them out for me.
Hey, you didn’t really...
I have to guard this place. I’m protecting them. I can’t leave. I’ll owe you.
Uh... Okay. You’re the boss. I brought you a few cans. They’re yours. And I’ll deal with... them.

Maybe this is just my grim imagination, but I think she's being asked to remove their bodies or something.

Thanks.
...You’ve changed.

----

Did you fall in, Shura? Who takes that long in the bathroom?!
I drank too much.
Ahahaha! Too fun. Your face is all red too.
You’re pretty fun yourself.
Huh? Look at you, you can barely talk anymore.
What?! I’ve still got a story to tell. Where was I? The second fire?
Fire? What fire? Where’s the fire?
Oh, oh yeah. Now I remember. Hey, Beehunter.
What?
That life-sized Ursus doll you got, you think you can let me hug her tonight?
Sure. You can have her right now. Think fast.
Woah, don’t throw her! I can’t catch like this! So heavy... Aaaahh!

I can only assume this is a giant teddy bear.

----

Heh. Is that all you got? Get up, Andrey. Where’d all your big talk go?!
Andrey: ......
He passed out? Well, at least you won’t be hungry. Am I right? Huh?! Okay, that’s the boss down. Anybody else...?

Smack.

Gah! *Cough*, all right, so you can fight dirty.

Student: Gah!

You think I’m that easy? You think I take one hit to the back of the head and go down like in the movies? Huh? Ura!

Student: Ngah!

Student: ......

What. Is that it? Hmph. What a waste. Guess this is my food now.

----

Ugh... what a headache.

Sorry... This is our fault...
Naw, we’re a team. It’s what I’m here for. And look, she isn’t in great shape right now. So it’s up to me, as Peterheim’s second strongest, toAAAAAAaaaaghh that hurts!

Just a little bit longer. Almost done. Okay, there!
Thanks. That Youth Scout training comes in handy, huh?

I guess this has come up before, but Gummy is like a Girl Scout or something so she knows all these practical skills.

Hehe, thank you.
The world’s running out of good people. Lucky to have you. Really. You’re great. If that cop had run into kids like you, things would’ve turned out different.
(We can’t keep this up. We don’t have enough food. Don’t have enough people. Even with me and Sonya. Both the food stores are gone. There’s just not enough to eat. What if a gang shows up to our door someday? Even with Sonya... I have to think of something...)
(...I guess I could go talk to the mask dudes? No way. What if they turn me into one of those rock-covered monsters?)

I guess she's seen Mephisto's herd? He was doing that already?

(...I might as well give it a shot. You only live once, right?)

Hey Anna. We don’t have much left in the way of rations. I’m gonna go out for more tonight.
You can’t. You’re hurt. If you go out again you’ll——
I’m tough. I can handle it. I won’t go far. And I won’t take anyone’s last bite. Don’t worry.

----

That night...

It’s been so long since I’ve come here. I’m kind of excited.

My heart’s really pounding.

Stop.
This is my old dorm. Why can’t I go in?
Do you want to die?
If I was afraid to die, I’d try to find a way out of the school. No reason to come here. I’m Rosalind, and I wanna talk to your leader.
Only if you’re Infected. Otherwise, no dice.
And if I insist?

I’m scared. Scared to death. But my mouth is still going. I feel like I’m staring into the mouth of hell for the sake of my own pride.

And I love it.

(Drawing his weapon).

Let her through.
? (Lowering his weapon).
You, come with me.
Hehe, thanks.

Music stops.

Why did I think it was a good idea to meet the Reunion leader again? Was it because I’d say a few words to him and he’d let us all go, or give us food? Or was I gonna threaten him? This tiny middle school student?

The translation is a little inconsistent about whether they're in middle school or high school.

...But at least... I had to try.

And... and then...

Zzzzz......
And then the little white-haired kid with the creepy smile said a few things to me and let me go. I can’t remember too well. Something like, “your suffering has only just begun” or “enjoy life” or whatever.
Zzzzz......
How was I supposed to understand? Then he let me go, just let me go. I went back to the classroom and slept for a while. The next day, the mask dudes were gone.

I think it's sort of relevant that Reunion never did a single thing to them after locking them up in the school with plenty of food supplies.

Zzzzz......

Things didn’t get better after that. We thought life in the school was rough. When we got out, we realized that was just the appetizer. Those stories, they’ll eat you alive. Beehunter, say something.
Beehunter?
Zzzzz......
And here you said, you said I was honey drunk. You’re the drunk one! Cam’t benieve it. You just fall ashleep without saying anything. Whatever.
Where’s the stage? I wanna jam! Aah, here’s my stage. Beehunter’s asleep, so you get to hear the rest of my story.

I got so, sho mush to say. Phew... whew... Zzzzz......
Zzzzz......

----

Music.

Dawn the next day...

——
! Why I am in bed? When did I fall asleep?
Get up.
What happened, Shura?
What? You’re gonna ask me what happened? You guzzled honey drink until you were dead drunk, then you stole my big doll, collapsed on top of her, and drooled out everything you drank.
Huh? You didn’t toss her to me?
Feel for yourself, you dura.
Don’t have to. Sorry, Shura.
Just wash her for me.
Yeah, of course, no problem.
I’m gonna take out the garbage. You get cleaning.
Right away!
I’m out. Don’t forget afternoon class!
I won’t!

Beehunter leaves.

What did I say to her yesterday? Probably something pretty fun.
That’s why I woke up so refreshed today. Gotta clean up, have breakfast, then find somebody to help me wash this big girl. Yeah. Not bad. I’ll see about drinking with Beehunter again in a couple days.
Hold on. Why is my guitar out? ...Might as well strum a few chords.

Leto is not actually a playable charcater, and still isn't playable even a year after this event. It's kind of weird, but at least she'll probably be super good when she does come out, thanks to power creep.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 7, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Still waiting for playable Leto :argh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Teens guzzling mead and even a Dune reference. Unexpected.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

The translation is a little inconsistent about whether they're in middle school or high school.
Understandable. If you're translating a Chinese script talking about a Russian school into English, the terminology's bound to get confused somewhere along the way.

From an Australian's point of view, it's all high school. And the official names of individual high schools often have the word "college" in them, just to bewilder any passing Americans.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 5, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

In the VN i'm LPing right now, the main character attends a 'Girls' University High School' which, naturally, is a campus that has both a university and a high school :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. Last time Leto got drunk.

Business as Usual

Music.

......miya. Amiya.

Huh? Oh, sorry, Doctor. I was spacing out.
You don’t look so good.
Ah, um, there’s a matter of some concern.
Doctor, look, it’s an internal transfer application.
The applicant is Natalya Rostova.
She wants to transfer from Logistics to the front line.

Of course you’d be worried about it too. Honestly, I don’t really want to approve this one. Do you remember that Zima’s team became combat operators at their own request? I was actually against it at first.

It hasn’t been that long since they were rescued...

There are a LOT of small dialog branches this time, so I'm going to try something new and try to patch them together into a single conversation where possible. Basically just giving the Doctor more lines.

Right. Originally, even though they requested it themselves, I was going to convince Dr. Kal'tsit to veto the application.
They get regular psychological counseling and according to the reports, they’re generally healthy, notwithstanding the occasional dark spot.
It’s just... I don’t know how to put this better. ...Doctor, can you go check on Miss Rostova?

I know it’s kind of a pain, but you’re the only one who can do it, Doctor. Oh, it’s already lunchtime. No need to rush, you can go see her after you eat.

----

Hey, Doctor.

Hey, don’t pretend you didn’t hear me. I saw you stop. Aren’t you like super busy all the time? What are you doing wandering the halls?
I’ve got a mission. I can’t be enjoying a leisurely stroll like you.

I told you not to wander before deployments, Zima.
Afternoon, Doctor. Come on, Zima, back to the ready room. It’s time to go.
Hmph. One day I’m gonna be the captain and boss you around. You too, Doctor. You’re gonna answer to me.
I like the ambition. Let’s talk about it after you’ve got one on me. As for the Doctor, well, you’ll have to have won a lot more than one.
Eh.

Zima leaves.

Oh, Doctor, you should know, I’ve been taking the rookie team lately. So if you don’t have anything else, I’ll get going.
What do you think of Zima?
Hm? Hm... Well, you just saw that she doesn’t take well to discipline. She’s very insubordinate. And as a warrior, at her age, it’s normal to not know what you’re fighting, or what you’re fighting for. But it’s especially obvious for Zima. She suffers from a lot of confusion. I don’t know exactly what it is, but it’s a bad sign and something I’m going to focus on correcting next.

You mean she only looks tough?
Right. Violence is a protective shell for her. I wouldn’t go so far as to say she has a fragile heart under that shell, but I can say that her toughness is very fragile, in front of me.
Don’t worry, Doctor. She’s still a kid. I heard she’s from Chernobog. I’m sure she’s carrying a lot of baggage. But she has a future. But I do have to say, I think this kid’s all right, Doctor. In fact, I like her. She’s got a strong sense of integrity. So even if she’s confused, that integrity will keep her on the right path. And that’s rare.
Okay, I gotta get going. Please excuse me.

----

Wow, it’s the Doctor!

Wow, it’s Gummy!
You’re looking good today! Are you here to eat? I haven’t had any missions lately, so I’m helping out in the kitchen.

Gummy, I brought the spices.
Oh, thanks, Perfumer! Just put them over there. Did you want something to eat?
No thank you. I’m used to cooking for myself in my workshop.
Oooh, can I come eat with you sometime? I really wanna learn to use spices like you do!
Heh heh. But of course.

Gummy, can you lend a hand when you’ve got a minute?
Coming!
Hung is out on a mission and I’m a little short-handed. I need you to take this pot for me.
Sure, Uncle Matterhorn! I’ll see you next time, Perfumer. And you eat well too, Doctor!
Sure. You’re welcome anytime.
Is Gummy cooking today?!
Oh man, what luck! Too bad I just ate!
Haha, I’ll get seconds!
Settle down, everybody. There’s enough to go around!
Gummy sure has a lot of energy, doesn’t she, Doctor?

You can say that again!
One time, when she fell asleep in my workshop, I heard her talking in her sleep. What she said worried me a bit. But when I see her like this, adapting so well to life at Rhodes Island, I feel like I have nothing to worry about. You can’t expect them to heal instantly. But given time, they’ll be okay.

I sure hope so.
Doctor, don’t be so full of yourself that you think you have to take care of everyone. We can look after each other too.
You care, Doctor? Heh heh. You really worry about your operators. But rest assured, if there was something really important, I wouldn’t hold my tongue. A girl has her secrets, you know?
It’s time I went back to the office. If you ever find yourself tired, Doctor, you can always come sit with me.

Hello, Doctor.

You look like you have something on your mind, Doctor. I suggest you find a better place to stand and think than the cafeteria doorway.
How’s the food today, Istina?

Hm... the rice is a little firm today, and the soup is too sweet. But I’m enjoying the vegetables. If there’s nothing more, Doctor, I’ll be going. I have class in the afternoon.
Class?
Yes, Hypatia’s history class. After auditing for a while, I found Hypatia’s take on history very helpful for me.

Can I help you?
Hm. No. Oh, I don’t mean to refuse you. I’m having trouble explaining, because I’m not very clear either.
I’m great at history too!
Um, Doctor, did I not hear that you suffer from amnesia? But I appreciate the offer.
Hypatia’s lectures are very interesting. I think you should take a listen yourself, when you have time.
I’ll say, I could use some guidance. In fact, I’m not certain the study of history will help me that much. However, thinking on the experiences of our forebears could provide me some inspiration.

ForeBEARS, haha...

I’m off to class then.
Do you know where Natalya is?
Natalya...? You’re looking for her? Gummy told me she wants to become a front line operator. I haven’t heard if her application has been approved, but from what I know of her, she is likely already preparing for the transfer.

----

Your aim sucks, Natalya.
Don’t be so sure, Rosalind. I’m going to hit you.
Hehe, no way in hell~ And you gotta call me Leto now! Operator Rosa~
Okay, Operator Leto. Let us wait and see.

----

And who got you using such a big sucker? You found it in Chernobog, right? Why not throw it away and get something new?
Hup... sentimental value.

She uses a modified harpoon gun they found in the ruins. Apparently it's a siege weapon meant to help board mobile cities.

Okay. More work for you.

----

It kinda looks like you can’t move anymore. Why not take a little break?
I can still... Agh!

You lack stamina, Natalya. Being Ursus gives you a nice base to build on, but you’re a long way from combat ready.
Pshh... whew... Sorry. I’ll keep trying.
But your willpower is a lot stronger than I thought. Not bad. If you can push through this round of training, it’ll be good for you, even if you don’t become an operator.
Thanks for that.
Hm... hm? Take five.
Yes, sir!
Leto, you get out there and train yourself.
Yes, sir~
Grace, keep an eye on her.

Instructor Grace: Got it.

----

Doctor, it’s lunchtime. You should be resting. We don’t need you here.

Afternoon, Dobermann.
Afternoon, Doctor. If you’re just here to say hello to me, I’ve got plenty to get back to.
I can’t be here?
You can, but I have to take time to deal with you. I hope it won’t be a lot. But I guess Amiya told you we have another girl from Zima’s group who wants to be an operator, and you wanted to check her out?
Don’t look so surprised. Everyone knows Amiya is very concerned about the survivors we rescued from Ursus. You must remember Zima, Gummy, Istina, Leto—— Well, Leto is an exception. Nothing to worry about in the combat department. When those four girls applied, Amiya was dead-set against it. She wanted to veto their applications. I don’t know why, but she changed her mind at some point in the process. And so now that there’s another one, it would be out of character for her not to care...

----

Phew, that’s enough rest. Rosalind, practice with me a while.
Wow, you’re really committed.
Don't underestimate my determination to become an operator.
Alright alright.

Instructor Grace: Natalya, you still need to rest. The most important part of exercise is recovery. If you keep grinding away at it, you’re just going to break your body.

Thank you, Instructor Grace, but I think I still have some strength left in me...

Instructor Grace: Hey, don’t worry about Dobermann, I know she looks scary...

Grace, I can hear you.

Instructor Grace: Oh, well, you get it.

Yes, but don’t worry.

Instructor Grace: Okay...

----

What do you think of her?

She’s resolute.
Is she now? I don’t think so. I’ve seen her type. They grit their teeth, fighting hard not to think.
Doesn’t it remind you of those three? They don’t know where courage comes from, so they bite down and take on society, no matter their age. But they do seem to be ready.
She’s a fighter, then?
Yes she is. Honestly, she exceeds my expectations. An aristocratic young lady who can actually work hard for herself... hah.
I do understand Amiya’s instinct to keep them off the battlefield. Doctor, no one would be happy to send young people to war. Isn’t the point of a soldier like me to protect kids like that? I always blame myself for them having to go fight. But I’ve come to terms with the fact that I can’t save everyone. All I can do is teach them to fight, to protect themselves, and to get home in one piece. Think about it, Doctor, what can you do for them?

After all the thread discussion about using traumatized children as soldiers, I'm not entirely sure what to think about them being thoughtful about it.

----

Music.

Welcome back, Doctor. So what do you think?
Did you see something in Zima and her girls, Amiya?
...Yes. That’s why I’ve been paying more attention to them.

Sorry, Doctor, I... wasn’t sure if I should tell anyone about this. You know about my ability to sense a person’s most powerful emotions, and to even feel them when they’re directed at me. If they’re not directed at me, but still strong enough, I can’t feel them as clearly, but I can still sense something. And the Ursus girls... it’s hard to say.
Their situation is different. At times, times that would seem ordinary to us, I will sense immense, overpowering emotion from them. Of course, their emotions are different, but they share some commonalities. If I had to put a name to the main emotion, I think I’d have to say “helplessness.” They are not so sad, not pained, not angry, not hopeless... Maybe it’s not the right word. It’s like... like there’s an invisible wall. It’s usually invisible and intangible, but it blocks them whenever they try to move forward. And they’re stuck.
Is there anything we can do for them?
No. We are in no position to help them now, Doctor.

Harsh.

What each operator is willing to tell us when they register their file, that’s all we “can” know about them. They may be hiding something from us. But if so, we have even less reason to dig it up. Of course, that doesn’t include things that might adversely affect Rhodes Island. But I don’t think Zima’s group falls into that category. Also... I’m not sure us suddenly reaching out to help them would actually be helpful.

Unprompted help is a selfish act.
Yes, I think so too.
We could just ask them.
Oh, Doctor, you’re teasing again. If only it were that simple.
Maybe it’s just that I’m a little afraid to do it.
I feel like “I understand you” isn’t worth much. But people love to say it. As if it fulfills their duty to provide comfort, or that it will make someone open up to them. It’s hard to understand someone’s feelings, let alone help them. Many operators on board this vessel are the same, actually. We don’t share any particular experience with them, our words don’t get through to them, and what we do, even if it’s right, won’t be what they want.
So you didn’t stop the Ursus girls from becoming operators.
Right. After sensing their emotions, I changed my mind. Forcing them to safety may seem to us like the right move, like it’s best for them. And it probably would keep them safe, in practice. But that would not help them heal. Doctor, I really don’t want to say that time heals all wounds. But I don’t know any other way. All I can do is respect their choice, and protect them in my own, Rhodes Island way.

When I think about it like that, I feel kind of full of myself...

Doctor, how to or whether to treat someone, from a physical perspective, is rarely something that needs consideration. But when it comes to mental health, it becomes a more difficult problem. For now, I can give only a vague answer.
Rhodes Island isn’t a greenhouse. You’re on the right track.
Yes, but I always hope I can do more.
Then just make friends with everyone.
Yes, you’re right. If we aren’t in a position to help someone, we must create the position. I’m just a little frustrated.
Medicine is for pain, to heal wounds. And some medicines can heal. But in any case, they can’t erase the pain and suffering endured before the medicine is applied. I’ve always wondered if Rhodes Island could help some people, even if only a few, to forget, or at least let go of the trauma they’ve suffered in the past. I’ve realized along the way that it’s really hard. Developing the drug is only the most basic first step. There’s so much more we would have to do to be able to achieve this.
At least we’re already doing it.
Yeah. At least we are.
Thanks, Doctor. I’m kind of embarrassed that you’re comforting and encouraging me over someone else’s business... Anyway, to business, I’m approving Miss Rostova’s application. I hope that one day she and her friends are willing to open up to us. I hope that one day, we are able to help them. I hope that one day... Rhodes Island can become their new home.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

After all the thread discussion about using traumatized children as soldiers, I'm not entirely sure what to think about them being thoughtful about it.
It's like they've read my posts and are replying directly to me personally. It's great.

I appreciate them taking the time, but I still think they're wrong. Now watch me destroy this tiny rabbit with facts and logic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. Last time we had the epilogue to the Ursus student stories, and now for the post-epilogue!

Before Spring's Coming

The stories tell us that evil never triumphs over good. Most of the time, I take this as a matter of course.

Music.

Woman: Do you really have to go? I saw the news. Things are heating up between the mob and the police. I saw blood. Lots of people bleeding...

Man: Don’t worry, honey, things aren’t that bad. It’s just the media playing things up. “If it bleeds, it leads,” you know. That’s how they get paid. Don’t let them scare you.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but this event has been extremely stingy with NPC portraits. And, well, most of the earlier content, actually. Which is why we still don't have a portrait for a generic Chernobog citizen.

Woman: But... The man at the smoke shop says not so many nobles come by for liquor anymore. And Aunt Nina, who works at Lord Santelli’s estate, came home. She says the Lord’s entire staff is furloughed. Don’t you think... don’t you think that means——

Man: Enough!

Woman: ......

Man: ...Sorry. I shouldn’t have raised my voice.

Woman: Loban, I’m just... I’m just so worried.

Man: I said not to worry. Don’t be scared. I’m here. You can trust me. I will protect you. And it’s not only me. I have the rest of the Guard garrison with me, and the Army is just outside the city too. There’s nothing to be afraid of.

As we know from Chen, Guards are basically the police, so this guy's a police officer.

Woman: Loban...

Man: Relax, Darya. We swore to protect this city, and this home. Let’s not trouble your pretty little head. This winter will pass, and when the weather warms up, we’ll go someplace nice. How does that sound? And don’t tell Zoya. Let it be just the two of us, off on a romantic getaway. Alright?

Woman: ...Hehe. How are you still like this, even at your age? It’s so cold. Where are we going to go for a romantic getaway when the snow melts and the roads turn to mud?

Man: Isn’t that the perfect way to end the winter? When the time comes, we’ll go dancing, you’ll bring some mead from home, and I’ll bake you cookies myself.

Woman: Oho, bold words. Do you still remember how? I think... we could. Just wait for Zoya to go back to school. When she’s safely in her dormitory, we’ll head off.

Man: Sure! Now, how long until school starts? Could we move her in early?

Woman: Nonsense!

Woman: Zoya? We were just talking about you. Come, your father’s on the night shift. Say goodbye.

There were happy moments that at the time erupted suddenly with such potency, they brought an unparalleled sense of being. Or maybe they felt very ordinary. Only in retrospect do I realize what the feeling was. Everyday conversations for a monotonous life. As if spring would come as usual. As if the snow would melt, the people would tie the hay into straw men, and trample about the mud amidst the aroma of pale mead. The usual greetings: good morning, good evening, hello, goodbye.

Until that day——Our city, before our very eyes, twisted, deformed, erupted.

----

Music.

Ahead left, clear. Now.

She runs forward.

...No signal. Can’t make contact. Phew. I have their patrol routes figured out, so I should be fine here. Just need to get over the fence... I’ll make it this time!

Footsteps approach.

!

She hides.

(What? Someone’s coming! This isn’t on the patrol route... I have to hide.)

(Inaudible).
(Excited, but still inaudible).
(I should be okay hiding here for a while. That sounded like those guys who call themselves “Reunion.” And it was a bunch of them... The one on the left doesn’t look the same as the ones I see on patrol. What is going on? They come out of nowhere and lock us all up in the school. What do they even want?)

Footsteps.

(They’re coming this way!)

What is Mephisto thinking? Would he really volunteer to take over? He wants to deal with the students over there? Not sure I believe he’s that kind-hearted. They rounded up most of the noble kids along with all the others at Peterheim. Why go that far? That school is a ways away from the one they stationed us at. And if Mephisto is up to something, there’s not much we can do... *Sigh*, I hope he can stay focused on the big picture. We don’t want him screwing around.

So we're at a different school than the ones the others were at, but they're still trapped in by Reunion.

Who knows what goes on in that psychopathic little head of his? Maybe he does it on purpose! He’s a freak! A monster!
Hey, calm down. Don’t forget, we’re on the same team...
What do you mean calm down? Did you not see what he was doing with his Arts last time? That poo poo’s straight-up evil!

Everyone hates Mephisto, the one constant in life.

Lower your voice!
Does he even think we’re on the same team? Bullshit!
I told you to quiet down! Don’t spook the students!
drat it! Sorry. I let it get to me.
I get it. I know how you feel. Who doesn’t?
Honestly, I think about killing Mephisto sometimes. If it wasn’t for the Captain, I’d go kill him right now!
Don’t talk like that. You think I don’t want to kill him? You think the Captain doesn’t? But we can’t. He’s our people. And we don’t kill our own people. That’s at the core of our movement. But yeah, it’s normal to be angry.... with what he did this time. We watched his men, running wild, tearing everything up. Are we thugs who break into houses, kill people, set fires?

(Who is Mephisto? Are they talking about... killing people?! Did I hear that right? They didn’t do anything to the students. Why...?)
Hah, well said. Are we not thugs then? Maybe the Captain’s troops aren’t. But if you ask me, we’re not exactly doing good for this city. How many blocks have we leveled? How many people have we dragged out of their homes and killed in the street? It’s a mess out there. We all know.
I...

We have no choice. The people out there can’t tell who belongs to whose squad. They don’t care. As long as any of “our people” are doing those things, then the people here will see us all as thugs.
Rolena, you’re back. Are you ready for the handover?
All ready.
Good. The Captain is on a tight schedule with this new job from the leadership. Your teams are doing final cleanup on the suppressed districts. And you’ll want to keep an eye on the Sarkaz mercenaries. Oh, and look after the students. The Captain is keeping them here. Don’t hurt them, but don’t let them escape either.
Understood. If the cubs behave, I’m happy to let things be, but what if they act out?
Just try not to hurt them.
But what if I have to? What if some of them can use Arts? If they fight back, we’ll have to take action.
...Rolena, I know what you mean. You’ve got fire in you. But don’t get out of hand. This is an order from the Captain. Keep your emotions under control. Don’t let them overpower your judgment.
Hah. If it’s from the Captain, I will abide.
I hope so. We’ll start the transfer in thirty minutes. Then this place is your responsibility... What exactly that means is up to you.
Up to me? Will you be able to sleep at night? I said I’ll abide, but I don’t handle it all personally. Threats, intimidation, and terror make people behave. We’ll do what it takes... Hey, I’m just kidding. Don’t look at me like that. I know what I have to do.
Whew, you said all that way too easy. Seriously, I don’t care about the plan or whatever. Have you thought about where we’re going to end up if this city goes down?
...We never had anywhere to go.
No. We can go anywhere. Someday, we’ll be able to go anywhere we want.
That’d be nice. You think that day will really come?
(What are they talking about? Who are they? What’s so funny? Those bastards. They come out of nowhere and occupy the city. They imprison us here, and for what? And it looks like this goes way beyond the school... Dammit, what’s happening outside then? I can’t stay here anymore. I have to get back. Mom, Dad...)

(They didn’t see me. Now’s my chance...!)

She runs off.

Hm?
Did you hear that...?
Hear what?
Strange... Anyway, that’s the deal. It’s up to you now.
Go on already. Don’t let us hold up your mission.

----

...He’s gone.

Yeah. He has his job, now we have ours.
What’s ours? Didn’t he just say your job is to watch those students and don’t let them out?
Right. What’s your point?
Don’t be play dumb. You really didn’t notice?
...I thought I was the only one. Looks like you’ve been doing well under the Captain. And that training sharpened you up good. Better than I expected.
Don’t mince words.
Fine. I don’t like to beat around the bush either. Would you believe me if I said I let that schoolgirl get away on purpose?
You really think I’m that stupid?
Turns out you’re not. Say, didn’t I hear that you’re from around here?
What’s it to you? I know you are too. I’ve seen you in the Old Quarter, Rolena the Tailor. But what does it matter? We’re both Infected now. And we all know what we’ve done. So who cares where we’re from?

I've never thought about this until literally just now, but I wonder if they're making a comparison between the Ursus Students and the Reunion Members. Both did what they thought they had to do to survive.

...Do you know what would have happened to that girl if I just grabbed her? I figure I’d have to break a leg or two to teach her to stay in her room. Would that have gone against orders? Would that have been a bridge too far?
Hah. You’re a real hardass.
Or I could have just killed her. The Captain’s team is gone anyway. Besides the guerillas, who’s going to care if I kill a student or two? She could be an example to the other kids.
...You wouldn’t do that. You wouldn’t go against the Captain’s orders.
You’re right. The group under the old man, Patriot, they’ve had a rough go of it too, huh? Those kids have made a lot of noise for them over the past week. If we don’t do something, the students won’t know fear, and we’ll have the bolder ones looking to get out every other day. They don’t know what it’s like outside. They don’t know how bad it’s gotten. And aside from the few noble kids, what good are they to the movement? The Captain told us to keep the school under control. Was that just to protect the little cubs?
Why are we even talking about this?
Come on, didn’t you just let that girl go? It’s because you were afraid I’d catch her and do something to her, right?
Nope.
Just come out with it. I’m curious. Do you feel for the people here? No matter how they treated you before, how they treated your brothers, just because you were Infected... You don’t hate them? No, I can tell from your tone. You do hate them.

Cut the crap! I just don’t think a schoolgirl can cause that much trouble, even if she wanders around the campus. That’s all.
I think you actually believe your own bullshit.
What bullshit? Don’t change the subject. You saw that girl too! So, since you’re such a ruthless killer, why didn’t you drag her out and beat her to a pulp?
I’m not like you.
Oh? Can’t even own up to it——
I’m not like you. I’m not you. I didn’t drag her out precisely because I know she’s not just wandering around the school. It’s clear as day. That girl’s trying to escape. Once she gets out of the campus and our “controlled” area, she’ll find a place that’s not so peaceful.
...Wait. Why the hell didn’t you stop her?! If she gets out, she’s gonna, she’s gonna...
Yep. She’s walking into her own grave. Why should I stop her? Even if I caught her, I couldn’t do anything. Captain’s orders. So I let her go. I told you, I’m not like you. You’re still soft. Even now, you’re worried about those kids. But me? I can’t forget what me and my family suffered at the hands of this city.

I hate them all. I hope that girl doesn’t die too quickly. Haha! Open your eyes and take a good look at the suffering around you.

----

Music.

I’ve never seen this side of the city. Houses destroyed, roads blocked, windows sealed up, broken bricks strewn across the street like so many toy blocks. Smoke rises from the fires all around me, carrying sorrowful wails on the wind. All while the armed men cheer, carving their symbols on every surface they can find. I hear their name. The murderers say it with pride. They call themselves——Reunion.

Boom.

...Agh, it hurts...
(It takes about two hours to get from school to the center city? Give or take? I can’t hear anything. That should be temporary. And I can’t feel my left hand... looks like my little finger is broken too. Hrm... There’s a sharp pain in my abdomen. But it’s no big deal yet. Don’t panic, Zoya. You made it this far. Just keep carrying on like this. Don’t rush it. Most important thing is to stay hidden from the bad guys...)
(...nng.)

Boom.

(Another explosion. I think it came from the park this time. How many times is that now?! What the hell happened...?! Where are the police? Where’s the military? Why has nobody come to restore order yet? Looks like I can’t get through ahead. And those people fighting look like Reunion? Who’s fighting against them...?)
drat. I’m almost home. Why does it have to be now?!

Ursus Civilian: Run! Those bastards! They’re monsters! Monsters!

(The crowd is out of control. More panicked than usual...)

Um, what’s happening over——

Smack.

Ursus Civilian: Get out of my way!

!

Ursus Civilian: What are you doing? Run already!

Ursus Woman: My baby! Where’s my baby?!

Ursus Civilian: They’re coming! poo poo! Hurry!

Ursus Child: Wahhh, Mama... Mamaaa...

Look out!

She grabs the child.

(Agh, my wound. That hurt...)

Are you okay?

Ursus Child: Waaaahhh! Waahhhh! Let go! Let me go!

The kid runs off.

Hey, wait!

Ursus Police: Fall back!

(Finally, the police! Now we’ll be okay.)

Ursus Police: There’s a situation up ahead. This block is now on lockdown! Hey! Do you have a deathwish?! Turn back! There’s Reunion that way! ...Hold on, aren’t you Zoya? What are you doing here?!

Uncle Valery! What in the world is going on? Who the hell are these Reunion people? And where is everyone?

Ursus Civilian: Let us through! You have to let us out! They’re killing people! You’re the police, you have to know what to do!

Valery: Don’t panic! Calm down. We’re going to——

Smack smack.

Valery: ——!

Uncle Valery!

Valery: I’m okay...

Ursus Police: Don’t push! Stop! I said calm the hell down!

Smack.

Ursus Civilian: What are the cops good for?! You useless shits, go put a stop to those Infected! They’re coming! They’re going to kill us——

Hey! That’s enough!

Ursus Civilian: Get out of my way! I don’t wanna die...

They run off.

Valery: Stop them!

How could they do...! Uncle Valery, are you okay?

Valery: I’m fine. The people are all in a panic these days. We see this a lot. We’re almost used to it.

But why...

Valery: Doesn’t matter. I don’t have much time to talk with you. I have to stop these civilians. It’s too dangerous up ahead. Those people out there are monsters. They’re nothing like the normal Infected. Anton, get your team over there!

Ursus Police: Yes, sir!

Valery: Phew... Anyway, what are you doing here, Zoya? And how did you get here? I heard their warlord say that students would be kept locked up in their schools. And yours is pretty far from here. How did... Never mind. Doesn’t matter. You need to come with me. It’s too dangerous here.

Warlord? Patriot, maybe.

Wait, Uncle, you still didn’t tell me what happened! I came through the alleys, hiding from the bad men, and things just kept getting crazier the farther I went. There were explosions everywhere. Buildings collapsed. So many injured people. I saw them setting fires. How could they do this? My family... is Dad fighting Reunion too? Where is he? And where’s Mom? I have to find——

Valery: ......

Wh... why aren’t you saying anything...? Uncle Valery, are my parents...?

Valery: ...Your father is safe.

Really?!

Valery: But—— Your neighborhood was one of the first to be attacked. Those Infected, the Reunion people, they devastated every district they entered. We had no choice but to prioritize evacuating civilians in high-risk areas. Your father and I... we both agreed on this. We had to look at the situation and make appropriate judgments. It’s our responsibility. There were trade-offs.
Valery: ...By the time the rescue team reached your block, things were already beyond saving. It was a disaster. It’s hard to imagine how anything like that happened. Everything had been melted. Grass, bricks, steel beams, everything. Not even snow could touch the scorched earth.

I guess Talulah fought there?

Valery: I won’t tell you your mother might have escaped. You’re a smart kid. I can’t lie to you. I’m sorry. We were too late.

Music.

You’re lying. You have to be... that’s impossible.

Valery: Zoya! Zoya... Listen to me. I’m telling the truth.

You can’t be. Dad said...

He said he’d protect us.

----

Man: There’s nothing to worry about. I have the rest of the Guard garrison with me, and the Army is just outside the city too. We swore to protect this city, and this home.

----

Man: Zoya, what do you want to be when you grow up? You want to be like your papa? Haha, really? It’s hard work. Once you grow up, you’ll understand all that Papa does. If that doesn’t change your mind, then I’m looking forward to working with you, Zoya.

...It’s true. He did say it. His mission in life was to protect. To protect me and Mom, to protect the family, to... “To protect this city.”

Don’t cry. You can’t cry. I want to be like him. I want to...

Valery: Zoya.

...I’m fine. Don’t worry. Keep going.

Valery: *Sigh...* The point is, those awful Infected came out of nowhere, and there’s too many of them. Some of them seem to be restrained, but others are completely out of control, hellbent on razing the entire city. The Army has not come. But our comms are working fine. We have no idea what’s going on with them.

The army's not coming because they're working with Talulah.

Valery: It’s just us Guardsmen. There’s not much we can do to stop them. But at least you’ll be a little safer with us. Oh, your father isn’t with the squad now. He went over to Peterheim Middle School.

Peterheim...? Peterheim again... What is he doing over there?

Valery: Haven’t you heard? The Infected locked up another group of kids in Peterheim, just like your school. It’s weird. They don’t seem to be doing anything to them. No movement out of there. But there’s been some news in the last few days. Reunion seems to be pulling out. No matter what they’re up to, we have to have a countermeasure in place. We can’t spare much manpower. Only a few districts are calm, and others are so out of control that we could only send a small team to Peterheim.

Meaning, my dad?

Valery: He volunteered. Your father’s experienced. I’m not worried. And since you’re safe and sound, he’ll rest easy too. A shame we don’t have a way to contact him... We’re short-handed everywhere. drat it, what the hell’s gotten into these Infected?! Let’s save the rest for later. We can’t stay here any longer. There’s no telling when the Army could show up... Where in hellfire is the Third Army when you need them?!

Valery: Anyway, Zoya, you take cover. Once the Army takes over, it’ll be okay. This mob is no match for the soldiers of Ursus! And don’t you worry. As soon as we free up some manpower, we’ll send someone to Peterheim to rescue the students and pick up your father. Not to mention your school, all the schools.

...If... if no one else is free, I can go.

Valery: What?

I said, if you don’t have any free hands, I can go get my dad!

Valery: Don’t be stupid! That’s way too dangerous! Absolutely not! You want to go alone? What help could you be?!

Uncle Valery! I can tell we’re in trouble here. And it looks like things are... they’re getting worse, aren’t they? We don’t have time to waste. The situation is getting more dangerous by the second. And if help isn’t coming, you’re only going to need more hands. So why not take mine?
I’ve watched how they operate at my school. I know how they patrol, I know how many men they put in a squad. It’s a different school, but their tactics should be pretty much the same... I’ve been to Peterheim before. I know the campus layout. And I managed to dodge Reunion all the way here. I can do this. I can help——

Valery: It’s not the same!

!

Valery: Listen to me. This isn’t anything like what you’ve seen at the police station. It’s not a drill. It’s nothing like you think. Zoya, I know you’re strong, I know you're skilled. But you’re still a kid. Your life has value! This is not for you to do!

...I know. It’s making things worse for everyone, and I probably can’t help much at all. But, but I...

But what else can I do?

I’ll...

I’m scared to think. I have to act.

Please. Let me go...

Valery: *Sigh.* It’s not like you’re going to listen to me anyway.

Sorry...

Valery: Take this.

Hm? What is it...?

Valery: It’s supposed to connect to military comm networks. I’m not sure if it still works. If you’re lucky, you can make contact with the Army once you reach Peterheim. If you can report the situation to them from there, that would be a big help. I know I can’t stop you. Honestly, I have too much on my plate right now to worry about watching you. What you do now is entirely on you. But... Zoya, bear in mind, you are not a public servant. We are here to protect you. Don’t be a hero. Protecting yourself is your first priority. Your father wouldn’t want to see you in danger.
...Thank you.

Thank you, Uncle Valery. I’ll definitely...

Definitely what? I don’t finish the sentence. Because we both know that promises like that are just desperate attempts at mutual comfort. I make my way through the crowd, dodging the collapsing rubble and avoiding the vicious men ruining the city. I think of nothing. I dare not think. I just push on towards my goal.

----

Music.

(Phew, I’m here. Peterheim Middle School... The last time I was here, it was an academic exchange thing. Looks like the Reunion guys are pretty much the same. Hourly intervals using one patrol team... shouldn’t be tough to clear them. Nothing to worry about. But why is it so quiet? Huh? What’s that over there...?)

?!

What is it?

(What the hell are they?! These... these are... students?)

What in the world?

(Or, I guess I should say, these... were... students. There’s scorch marks on the floor and walls. Everything is charred... But these kids, they didn’t burn to death...)
Edged weapons, blunt weapons, and trampling?
(Ugh, how could this have happened? And why? Did Reunion do this? But these wounds don’t look like those thugs’ handiwork. And these students should be useful to them. Reunion wouldn’t want to hurt kids, would they?)
Hm? What’s that...? Huh...?

Music stops.

There on the scorched ground, among the many school uniforms, one note slips out of the score, crashing heavily on the piano keys. It’s a scene I never imagined. Not even in my darkest nightmares.

Man: Isn’t it about time for the weather to turn? Hey, Zoya, what do you think of this outfit? Why do I ask? Oh, something I’ve been planning with your mom for a while now. *Sigh,* I’m always in uniform. It’s so hard for me to find other things to wear.

Man: You want to go too? No can do. Absolutely not. It’s a date for me and your mom.

Oh... oh... Dad...?

Once the winter’s over, when the weather turns, we’ll have a little party, huh? Drink some mead, cook some pancakes around the fire. We’ll hold hands, sing, and dance in the muddy dirt. Even if the ground’s still frozen, there’ll be some little flowers blooming. In this city, spring will come as usual.

----

Okay, formalities all taken care of. Here’s your registration card. You’ll want to hold onto that.

Thanks.

The dialog nameplate calls her Absinthe now, her Rhodes Island codename.

(Great. All done. It’s easy enough, once you get used to it. I’m hungry... Might as well refill my meal card.)
Hm?

Music.

That was super fun! The Doctor is so good at cards. Didn’t lose a single hand! And then taught me how to “poof” out a coin! Like this... “poof!”
Hehe, that is a lot of fun indeed. Let’s get Leto to join next time?
Huh? No thanks...
C’monnnn!
Hey... Gummy. Inside voice.
Hmph. Who cares if she doesn’t wanna go? She’s just scared she’ll lose to me.
What? Who’s gonna lose? You wanna bet?! Let’s see who’s scared of who!

Screw around and find out!

...Those uniforms... They’re——

They’re from Peterheim...!

The End. Honestly, despite the music it ends almost like a horror movie stinger: she discovers the killers are still alive. Well, while it's vague what exactly happened to her father, I think it's pretty clear that the Ursus Student Self-Government Group wasn't directly responsible, but either way the idea here seems to be that even if the kids themselves somehow manage to move on from it, what does that means for others who were hurt by what they've done? Or at least that's how I read it.

Incidentally, Zoya/Absinthe was the free event character, but she's no longer available for new players who missed the event. I believe they've mentioned that they have vague plans to make characters like this available again permanently, somehow, but nothing concrete yet.

Anyway, that's the end of the event. Survivors: Children of Ursus. As for my thoughts on it overall, I think I have to start with the fact that it was kind of spoiled for me before it came out. Not because I carelessly moused over a spoiler or anything, but because it became kind of a meme after it first came out in China? People read summaries that more or less described it as an ultra-violent Lord of the Flies thing, and it became a kind of joke that Gummy is a cannibal (which is not something the story actually says, but you can sort of infer it from her "habit" of eating anything when starving and the weird gross meat in Zima's nightmares).

So I have to say that my own personal reaction was "I am so loving glad it wasn't that." Instead it's a kind of introspective look at trauma and therapy and what it means to keep living after something like that. While there's certainly violence in the periphery of the story, it's not really ABOUT that except insofar as the characters react to it. If anything's it's downplayed, with all the gruesome details conspicuously omitted wherever possible. I want to say that it doesn't revel in the carnage as I had feared.

That said, how does it work as a story about trauma? Honestly, I'm not sure because I've never experienced anything like that. And as the story itself says, I probably SHOULDN'T be able to understand what that's like just from a story like this. From the writers' perspective at least, claiming that you can understand is just empty comfort at best, and arrogance at best. What these kids went through is deeply personal to them, and they can't even talk about it with each other. Even the character with magical empathy powers says she doesn't know what to think. In that sense it's... respectful? But again, I have no idea how someone with actual trauma would feel about it. Perhaps some might feel that its apparent message of "give them space to work it out on their own" is too little, for example. Perhaps it is TOO respectful of their space when they need more guidance from adults. I have no idea.

There's also of course the elephant in the room that these are basically traumatized kids being used as child soldiers. Sure, they volunteered for it, and sure Amiya magically knows that they feel "helpless" and would prefer to self-actualize by being given control over their lives, but they're still child soldiers. Ultimately it feels like a handwave to have these characters in a game where characters are soldiers by default because that's just how it works.

Overall though, I'd say I like it. Maybe this sort of story doesn't belong in a game where they are also trying to sell you the traumatized, suicidal teenager as a cool new action figure with BIG NUMBERS, but on the other hand I'm kind of glad they tried? That they wanted to include a story about trauma and mental wellness with no easy answers. I think that's cool.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

They've implemented the system for getting old event freebies now. For anthology events like this, it keys off how many cutscenes you have unlocked. If you unlock most/all (I forgot which) of them you get given the event operator.

"Gummy is a cannibal" is one of those weird fanon things that some people insist is true but thankfully apparently its refuted in Gummy's operator record cutscenes (CN only atm).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you didn't want to make them soldiers, you could give them some other job and make them playable in-game even though they wouldn't really be in combat in-universe. You could get away with that. I really do think it makes for a more interesting story this way, though, even if it's bleak as hell.

I don't think the game's revenue model is really a problem here, either. If you've already made your deal with the devil named gacha, subject matter is the least of your worries.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I suppose adding non-combat characters who are allowed to participate in ganeplay anyway is technically possible, but the idea sounds really wrong to me for reasons I can't really express. Like, hm, even though the exact team you use and sometime even battles themselves are non-canon, it still feels like a breach of... verisimilitude? To have like a cook from the cafeteria in battle with you, fighting with a frying pan (even though Gummy actually does use a frying pan). To some extent the game is quite committed to that verisimilitude, for example by not making available extremely popular characters like Frostnova or Patriot who are of course dead.

Whatever else, the game takes its characters pretty seriously and a character like that would feel like a joke character, imo.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It does sound pretty goofy when you put it like that. I guess I'm imagining they'd still have some kind of self-defence training, and the way they fight in-game would represent how they'd theoretically do it if they absolutely had to.

But then, it would still be a little silly if some apprentice electrician who just happens to know how to use a crossbow ended up being the best sniper in the game or whatever. Hmm. I see your point.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's the occasional operator who makes you go "why are you a combat operator". Like Roberta, who we don't have yet, who is a makeup artist.

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017
They could be usable in the base, but not in combat. And they could even be added to a squad, but not deployable - there are already operators who provide buffs simply for being in the squad. Although balance-wise, having a cook who gives +5% to some stat would probably just always get used for free stats when you don't need a full squad.

Alternatively: in a practical sense, the 1* and 2* operators are very limited in their combat usability. They're adding new 1* robots every once in a while, but not much for the 2* where they're actually human characters. Probably cause that's not very profitable gacha-wise.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ibblebibble posted:

There's the occasional operator who makes you go "why are you a combat operator". Like Roberta, who we don't have yet, who is a makeup artist.

or basically everything involving Suzuran, who we haven't met in this LP yet :v:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mix. posted:

or basically everything involving Suzuran, who we haven't met in this LP yet :v:

Wasn't she in the sidestory nominally about Specter that had Specter herself barely put in an appearance?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

AweStriker posted:

Wasn't she in the sidestory nominally about Specter that had Specter herself barely put in an appearance?

i think so, yeah, if its the one im thinking of where she gets specter in a secret santa but doesn't know what to get her

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the way gummy's story implies that she was hacking through someone's neck and only managed on the third blow because she used every ounce of her strength is

something

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Neck or joint, both require a decent amount of force to cut through, especially if the blade is dull.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. Last time we finished Children of Ursus, but the next event is coming up in less than a week so I don't want to start anything big right now. Instead we'll cover a few more vignettes and maybe finally start tackling the Operator Records. Just for the record, there was another Rerun event that I haven't shown (Twilight of Wolumonde), but I am going to be putting that off until at least after the next event.

Anyway, our two vignettes for today are sort of an epilogue for chapter 8, which makes it kind of funny that you can unlock them without completing it. Both belong to a set called Beyond Here, which is thematically about leaving one's hometown and/or expanding one's horizons:

No Sequel

Music.

(Yawn)

Incidentally, I feel like Hoshiguma's hunched-over dialog portrait looks really weird.

Fold the blankets into dougan, and that'll do.
Wallet, keys, jacket... I'll... leave the comms gear. Shield... leave that too. You rest easy for today, partner. I'll kick these for shoes. Mmm. Nope, don't feel it. Maybe this limited edition pair? Ah, these feel pretty right. They match my outfit today. ...Eh, let's go with the first ones after all.

(Rolls eyes)

Missy, perfect timing. Which pair do you think looks best?

I'm pretty sure that Hoshiguma did not have all these expressions in the main story. The curse of a launch character.

Don't ask. Every part of you looks awful to me right now.
What's wrong? You're in a rotten mood. Special day today?
Ngaang gau ah, nei! You were pounding on my door at dawn for this?! So I could watch you count SHOES? You've collected a billion pairs that all look basically the same to me!
How are they the same? They're all different editions, the materials are all different... ugh, what am I doing telling you this.

I am assuming she collects sneakers.

Our dorms are next to each other. We're like neighbors. We help each other out.
Like I care about you! Let me make this clear to you, today is my day off! It's three minutes to six right now, and if I sound this alarm, I can write you up for disturbing the peace! You want overtime? Fine! Do it yourself! You're gonna lose your hair working 24/7, but don't try to take my locks too!
Overtime nothing. Not often we get a day off, and the L.G.D. doesn't pay much more for overtime. They're pretty tight-pursed. I'm no workaholic like Ch'en either. And Missy, are you one to talk? Didn't you just come back from the L.G.D.? I heard you opening and slamming the door. That one travelled.

Piss off! I'm so done right now! Our plate's loaded! We've got the mess Reunion left, we've got business with that stinky old rat... and that puk gaai dragon isn't even here when it matters. What DOESN'T need doing? You got promoted, and they want you transferred? Transferred where? Are we just going to give the Special Inspection Unit to someone else?! I've had it up to HERE!
Calm down, calm down. It's not like Mr. Wei hasn't thought it through. He's training you. For when the L.G.D. is your responsibility. If you ask me, it's just a matter of time. You can do it.
You... you don't need to tell me! Of course I know that already!

B—But she was supposed to take over the L.G.D... She was groomed for it...

*Sigh*. Don't you go crying again.
Who's crying?! Just you wait. Who cares if some smelly dragon never comes back. Sooner or later I'll seize the L.G.D. for myself. All of it, just you wait.
Ha ha, now that's something to look forward to.
Ugh. No, wait. Did you just say you heard me opening the door when I came back? So you knew I hadn't slept all night? Then why the hell did you still call me over? You said you didn't do it on purpose!
Hey, hey, don't get worked up. I was worried you were pushing yourself too hard. Been a lot happening lately, and we haven't really gotten the chance to meet up, right? Here, I bet you skipped breakfast again, right? I bought some breakfast. It's your favorite chow fun. Eat a little before you go to sleep.
Hmph. Didn't ask you to.
Fine, fine, you didn't ask me to. Will you still eat it?

Of course I will! Give it! Hey, why'd you buy two portions? How am I gonna finish this much?
Oh... that was two? Must've been habit. Bought them without thinking.

Three-mushroom shredded fowl, saa sin sauce, extra starchroot... Hmph, only that dummy would like it this way. Their place uses pretty boring noodles. The flavor's too bland, they skimp on the ingredients. It's barely passable. Next time, remember: go downstairs from the L.G.D., turn the corner, second house down with the blue sign hung outside. They do better stuff.
Fine, I get it, I'll get you theirs next time. Just try and eat some for now. Woah, slow down! You don't have to inhale it.
(Yawn) Oh, yeah, where are you going today? I'm up already, so you may as well count me in for some window-shopping. I need to go buy that one Svrrovski piece. The new one from the JOKER series. It came out just last week.
Oh, the one Ch'en's had her eye on since forever ago?

Yep, that one. She's got a pretty good eye for those. She's better at picking out clothes and jewelry than I am.
Sounds like a compliment to me. Personally, I don't even get to wear that kinda jewelry much after I buy it. Good thing she got paid enough, and she lived in a free L.G.D. dorm. She'd be in dire straits otherwise. Anyway, Missy, you're inviting me? That's pretty rare. Is this the first time ever?
If I had anyone else, you think I'd wanna pick you?
I guess not. Whoa, actually, if I don't head out now I'll be late. Later.
Wait, going where? Hold on, I'm gonna do my makeup!
Don't. You're plenty fine even without making up, “Miss.” Thanks for inviting me, but I'll have to pass today. I'm just going out for a spin, not much point in tagging along. I'll pick you up next time. Get some sleep. Leave those bags under your eyes for too long, and it'll be rough when you finally wanna get them off. You need more rest, Swire, you really do.

----

Madame, good morning!
Morning. You've all worked enough. Want some breakfast? I got recommended a place, so I picked some up along the way. Seriously, this early on a vacation day and I still see so many people in this building.
Ever since that whole incident, it's been like this non-stop, ugh.
Same goes for you, Madame Hoshiguma. You only left a few hours ago and now you're back. You're off today, if I remember?
No comparison. Things are different for me. But forget that, are you really still okay? I feel like you're wobbling... Eat something, and lie down in the lounge for a bit. Lay off the energy drinks. They're not good for you.
Ah, thank you, Madame. But I'm okay. Once I'm done with the work I've got on hand, I can go home and sleep. (Yawn)
Fine. I won't say much more then. Just mind yourself. It's been all hands on deck lately. After we're past this, I'll take you all out for a feast.
A feast? I'll pass. What I want is a raise. Two days ago I ran into the guy from that Rhodes Island office, flaunting his promotion in front of me... pah, what's to flaunt? You just get a few more vacation days than I do...

...Rhodes Island? The ones who worked with us? And the lot who took Madame Ch'en away?! I thought those guys scrammed ages ago!
Ah... you mean that local branch of theirs, right? I think they do some recruitment too. Weren't there a few youngsters making trouble in the streets who got talked into picking up some work instead? They've got a way with words. Don't you go stirring trouble for them. It's all Lungmen citizens working in that office. No picking bones. Go back and tell the kiddos downstairs too. No getting mixed up.
The hell I can. Everyone's clear deep down. Us and Rhodes Island get along fine enough. Once in a blue moon we'll have drinks together. They've got plenty of weirdos there, and besides their local office people, you pass by them now and again on the street. Some just look wild. We can't help but stare a bit. Last week they had some kind of Laterano monastery girl with them... and not to mention they can all hold their liquor.
Huh?! So the time you came back dead drunk, it was Rhodes who got you like that?! You threw up all over me!
Uh... did that happen?
drat right it did!
Fine, fine, my bad. Next time you file for a day off to go on a date with your girlfriend, I'll approve it, okay? Just hang in there until this bump's over, and every district we're rebuilding has its reconstruction schedules all sorted out. Then we'll be good.
Of course I know that... Honestly, though, once this bump's over, I'm probably not gonna have a girlfriend anymore... *sigh*.
Hey, that works out. Won't need to approve your day off.

Brutal. If you don't have anything nice to say...
He's just like that. I'm used to it.
Brat. Anyway, Madame, same to you. It's your day off. Don't hang around here, go on back and take a break pronto.
Yeah, just leave things here to us!
Oh, looks like I'm not that popular. Or is there another reason you're trying to shoo me out here?
N-No, that's not what I mean...!
Ha ha, alright, relax, I'm joking. I just came in to have a look, and drop off some food on the side. Here, chow fun. You get to it, then. I'm leaving.

----

Whew, I'm tired. I've only been up for a few days, and I'm already starting to buckle. Getting off-kilter. I'm not getting old, right? Shouldn't be, I'm still young if I think about it hard enough...

...Maybe I am? Ha, whatever...

She revs up a motorcycle.

Hey, partner, what do you think? It's been a while since I gave you some exercise. Let's head out to that racetrack in Ngai Kang and give it a spin, feel the breeze.

Engine noises.

Hey, your exhaust sounds a little off today. Don't tell me you're getting old too? No, of course not, you're definitely still latest model. 70vv. Though I guess a model even newer than you just came out. Steady and smooth, fast as lightning. Their ads have always been pretty good, haven't they? I still wanna get my hands on one to try, but they break the bank. It's okay, partner, we'll put up with each other for a bit. My wages aren't that high. Can't always spend like I did on you. You're far from out of date, and I'm far from retirement. We match pretty well, don't we?

...What's your opinion? What makes Ch'en so hard to crack? Think she can get used to Rhodes Island? Is she gonna get into fights? I'm guessing so. It's not like she can't get along with people, it's just if she's not willing...
Nay.
—Who's there!?

Miss Ch'en is no fossilized bonehead. Nor blindly headstrong.
Ah, who's there? You're... Lady Shirayuki.

Height comparison.

(Nods) Madame Hoshiguma.
I don't need the title. How come you're here, Lady Shirayuki?
The Madam is away. My orders, to protect thee.
Got it. Lady Shirayuki, I heard the Madam recently assigned you to Rhodes Island? How is it? Is little Amiya still holding up? And the Doctor by her side... I remember that one sticking behind cover giving orders. Freakishly smart, freakishly tired. How are they all now?
In plentiful vigor, spirits held high. Raucous blather. Loud sort.
Ha ha ha ha, sounds like they're still full of beans.

It seems like you have a pretty nice impression of Rhodes Island, Lady Shirayuki.
Truly, Rhodes Island is agreeable. As goes for Miss Ch'en. ...Thou needn't dwell.
What, so now even Lady Shirayuki's saying it... You're not telling me I've got worry written across my entire face? Seriously? That can't be right. If I was like that, Missy would've torn a layer off my face this morning.
It's okay, Lady Shirayuki. I'm not worried about Ch'en, that's the truth. Truest truth. Don't judge Ch'en by her cover. Sure, she'll snap like whiplash, but she's got a delicate heart in there. I didn't see it coming when I first met her all the way back. Only came to realize after being with her a lot more. I believe as long as she has a brick wall to bash her head against, she'll live decent no matter where it is.
Intelligent and sharp-witted is Miss Ch'en. Tongue incisive, and her action ne'er pales. The commonfolk cannot hope to cheat her.
Ha ha, true that. Tell me, where do you find someone like her? Piss her off and she'll switch to chewing people out, and as long as there's reason, she'll chew out anyone. I've never seen her scared before.
Miss Ch'en... is unreserved.
Honestly, Ch'en's temper hasn't changed once in all these years. I've always felt she put a lot of stress on chivalry. In those manga about master swordsmen, her sort would be the main character. But, you know, blood and gore's fun enough to read about, but having those wounds on your own body really aches something fierce.

There are times I see her aching beyond help, and I think, is it really worth this? It isn't worth it. In truth, in full honesty, I feel it truly isn't worth it. But she thinks it is. I'm not worried if she comes to grief. A little grief is no bad thing. Get too strong-willed and you'll come to a lot worse. I'm just scared that she can't get over it. That she can't let it go.
...Miss Ch'en's soul is wide. Rid of her chest's weight, she is ever more unstoppable.
You see clearly, Lady Shirayuki. And Master Wei and the Madam see even more plainly.
You too, Madame Hoshiguma, are chivalrous.
Me? Stop it, that's over the top now. I'm clear when it comes to myself. When I was young, I didn't know how things worked. I dreamed, of course, too. I've done a lot of impulsive things, and it's not like I've never had some hot blood in me. But the hot-blooded story's over, the kid's no longer a kid, and now what? They wouldn't write this stuff in a story. Write it and the readers'd get mad. Total waste of effort. Save yourself the trouble of ever writing it. Stories get to end at the best possible times. Life doesn't.

If chivalry looked like me, carrying the weight of the world, then people wouldn't be into it.
One cannot undervalue oneself.
...If you may see this.
This is... a comic?
Tai Kam Road, Second Lane bookstore. This month's new publication. A present for thee.
Really unexpected. Much thanks. Though I'm surprised. You read this, Lady Shirayuki?
Madame will know at a gloss. Then. I, Shirayuki, take my leave.

She disappears.

(This series... A new artist's debut work. Second overall in readers' support, and other artists have been recommending it... It seems pretty decent, too. Is this the protagonist on the cover? Kinda... familiar...)
(...This big one holding the shield is...)

Ah, ha. So that's how it is. No wonder. They've got some guts. But they still know their work. Art's not bad, too. Whatever. What—ever...
If I ever see Ch'en again, what should I call her? Operator Ch'en? Hm... Pretty good. Pretty fitting, too.

----

Sound of tires screeching.

(Still not fast enough. Got a curve up ahead. Perfect, I can still kick up a gear.)

More motorcycle noises. The music fades out.

The one-horned Oni lets out her breath. It's been a long time since she sped through the wind so savagely. With every roar her beloved machine lets out beneath her, her young, brazen blood seems to flow again, in speed for its own sake.

—Until suddenly, behind her, sounds another mechanical beast's cries.

Music.

Mm?

(Who is it...? The sound's coming from behind, and getting closer.)
Pretty good speed, catching up to me.

Engine noises.

Heh, that model and that engine's sound. It's the latest one in the ads. Odds are it's modified, too. Let's burn some rubber, partner. We can't lose.

----

(Strange. When was there someone so good, and how did I never know? And they kind of seem like... “Tearing the vacant streets in the dead of night, the ghost driver in the flashes on the winding roads.” Wait, but the vehicle's not right. And I think I know who's driving it..)
...No way?

----

More noises. They come to a stop.

...Phew. You're good. It's my loss.

I'm flattered. You took that curve very well. Had my machine not been somewhat better, I would never have overtaken. Good morning, Inspector Hoshiguma.
You're unbeatable, Madam Fumizuki.
Oh, my. You don't seem surprised at all.
I'm pretty surprised, actually. It was too fast just before. I only dared to guess it was you after that curve. Everyone's familiar with your principal vehicle, Madam, I'd never mistake it. Today's the first time I've seen those wheels, though.
Are you going to issue me a speeding ticket, then?

Of course I couldn't. This racecourse is outside our jurisdiction, anyway, specifically for racing... If tickets were a thing out here, I wouldn't get away with it either.
Hehe. You've all been working terribly hard.
That's our job. Nothing terrible about it.
What's wrong, Inspector Hoshiguma? You seem like there's still something you want to say.
Eh... nothing much. Just thinking, the wind out here feels really nice. Flooring down an accelerator sure does wonders for my mood.
Quite right. Hear, hear! In times with just too much to try and do, it truly feels a lot better once you've taken in the breeze. Though that can't be all you wanted to say, can it?
Huh... I guess there's no hiding it from you, Madam. I was just thinking—

The Stream-35LL Luminous Luxury parked downstairs from Master Wei for the last two days, even though he doesn't seem like the biking type. Sure enough, it was never his.

Sword and Scale

Smack smack. Clang clang clang. Music.

—Stop! That's as far as you go. You can stop running. The police will be here soon. It's all over.

What, they sent you after me too? You said you were here on some mission from Rhodes Island, that they have doctors willing to take care of the Infected. So that was all lies, eh? Old Tom warned us not to trust any outsiders. Hah, serves me right for not listening to him. I thought you had some integrity in you, not like those idiots that only look at people as dollars and cents. ... And this is what I get. Guess I'm the idiot here!
If that's what you want to believe, suit yourself, but I'm going to tell you this whether you believe me or not: I have nothing to do with the police out there.
Then leave me here and go away!
Sorry, I'm afraid I can't do that. You threw a fit on your way to the police station, injured two guards and skipped town all in one night. With that rap sheet, I can't just let you go. You have three squads looking for you. I just happened to find you before they did. The moment you step outside, they'll cuff you.

Out of all the cops on the hunt for you, I'm the only one who knows you're innocent.
—Of course I am! Those assholes want my head because I talked to that foreigner dude that died on the street. Just a conversation, and they're saying I killed him! It's bullshit! “Evidence of Arts use found at the crime scene. Believed to be perpetuated by Infected...” My rear end! If I could do that, they would all be dead! I can't do nothing! I can't even make fire!
I can tell... You don't have what it takes to kill an armed mercenary in broad daylight. That's why I'm standing here, talking to you. You said you didn't kill anyone, and I believe you, but you attacked the police, injured others, and resisted arrest and ran away. You can't run away from these crimes. Stop resisting. It won't do you any good. Columbia is much better than a lot of the places I've seen. I've been to court here. You have juries, and the public is allowed to watch. You have a chance to defend yourself, and you can tell everyone what you've been through.

It may not be much, but the Infected at least have justice here...

----

Music.

Amiya, I heard Columbia is a place with a sound, well-rounded legal system. There are judges, and prisons for the Infected. I want to visit, see it with my own eyes.

Of course, Madame Ch'en, you're free to go wherever you want. Actually, I would really like to see you visit all kinds of places. Oh... I guess I shouldn't call you Madame anymore?

Ms. Ch'en? Huh, no need to be so respectful? But... O-Okay, then... Ch'en? No, I don't think I can. It feels awkward calling you that...
Ahem, I digress. I don't know much about Columbia, and I'm sure you know more about its legal and criminal system than I do, so I won't go too much into that. But there is one thing that I'm sure of. You'll find people antagonizing and looking down on others wherever you are and no matter the circumstances. It can happen between the Infected and the healthy. It can also happen between the rich and the poor. Sometimes it even happens just because someone drew an arbitrary boundary... There will always be people trying to drive a wedge between themselves and others, to set themselves apart, to raise themselves up.
Please don't try to deny it just yet, Ms. Ch'en. I heard that there are a lot of Infected in Columbia. They're allowed to make a living as explorers, and some of them even got citizenship... I think there's hope in a life like that. It's just, Ms. Chen, whether a place is good or bad is something we have to see and determine for ourselves. Ursus is a downright cruel place, but there are a lot of places that have only whitewashed their cruelty.
I haven't forgotten what you said that day at the control tower, Ms. Ch'en. To treat everyone as equals and to judge everyone fairly... That's a beautiful thing, but I'm afraid it won't be easy. No one has ever walked that path, so not only is there no one to point us in the right direction, we only have ourselves to count on as we slowly forge that path for ourselves.
I'm a little worried, Ms. Ch'en. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

----

Music.

What dogshit justice is that?! In your dreams, maybe! Who would even listen to me defend myself? Has anyone ever been taken to court who didn't end up crying a river about how they're innocent?! The moment they catch you, they throw you in a wooden box, like a fowl in a cage. Then, they choke you and cut open your stomach to let everyone see if you're really rotten in the inside! You know how much money those old shitbags on the jury spend to hire people to yell on the street, “The Infected panhandlers are mooching off the city, emptying our pockets?!” What would you know? You just got here!

I... No. No. Perhaps I don't know this place that well yet, but I understand the mechanisms of state violence. I left my country because I was disappointed in all that. I knew what exactly had gone numb or even gone rotten there. But I understand that if this power can't keep society stable, if everyone can challenge the order protected by state violence, then what will happen thereon will be far more horrifying. That's why... I can't let you run away like this. At least not while the whole city knows a criminal is on the run, having attacked the police.
...You aren't going to let me go, and I sure as hell can't beat you in a fight. Fine, guess luck's not on my side.
I'm not going to feel sorry about this. I would do the same thing even if someone else were standing where you stand right now.

Oh no, I thought she was recovering, but I'm afraid I have to diagnose Chen with Terminal Cop Brain.

*Spit*.
I'm not joking. But if you are really telling the truth and you're wrongly accused, I'll do something about that. I just hope things don't really go there...
This is how it is. You're an Infected, and you don't have any money. That's all you can do. All the Infected who come here are either rotting away in a tin box or risking their lives in the wilderness. Everyone who can still walk is out there. Li'l Pierre, Tom, and Dumb Mars. One by one, they were all carted away, and none of them ever came back.
You remember Old Tom? The guy who was always talking behind your back.
How could I forget? On the first day I came to your block, he tried to dupe me into giving him the bracelet I was wearing. I taught him a lesson, but he just didn't seem to care.
He's not above holding a grudge. We all thought you weren't gonna be able to hang around for much longer, having gotten on his bad side.
Clearly I'm not the pushover you all thought me to be.
That's right. It didn't take long for everyone to learn not to cross you. You wiped the floor with Tom, but you didn't kill him. We've all wanted him to quiet down for a while. Everyone knew he was up to no good. Stealing, conning, you name it. He's done it all. As long as it gets his granddaughter a dress or some jewelry, he's gonna do it. That beautiful granddaughter of his got his money and dresses, and took the plunge with some rich guy in the city right away. And what did he get for his troubles? She told him to never step inside her house, lest he get mud all over the place.
I should've taken him in to the cops the moment I got here.
Right, I wanted to ask. How long has it been since the last time you saw him?
Two weeks. Maybe a little longer.

Wait a minute, why are you bringing this up? —What happened to him?!

----

Music.

Amiya, if I spend my entire life looking for a place like that, a place where everyone is judged equally, to no avail... Then how should I approach those who have undeniably committed crimes but were raised in those places of injustice? Rhodes Island can lock these men up as a temporary measure, but what will happen to them in the end? I can hand down punishments to the evil, I can sing the praises of the good, and I can stop any unjust lynchings before they happen. I have the power to do that. There is much that I am willing to give up to achieve the justice I seek. And, to that end, I am willing to do anything.
But I will still have to ask myself: Do I have the right to do that? Who has the right to determine if another person is guilty?

Amiya isn't here. I'll answer for her. Amiya will tell you, “No one can judge another person.” I know she'll say that. Dr. Kal'tsit always says that, too. They're really good people. They don't lie to me. I trust them. But I... I also know a group of good, big guys. We fought together and beat the bad guys. They trust me, and I trust them too. I think the things they told me are right. If you are up against a baddie who has done something wrong, and you can tell that they did, that means they are guilty. Those who are guilty should be punished.
What's bothering you, Ch'en? It's okay, you're my family now. Family should always help each other out, so I'll help you if you can't bring yourself to do it. I will stop injustice. I will stop anyone who wants to take family from anyone else. If their crimes aren't serious enough to warrant death but someone else wants them dead, I will stop them. I will stop anyone that wants to kill, and I will punish all the bad guys. Whatever bad things they did, I will punish them the same way. If they robbed someone else, I will beat them up. If they hurt someone, I will cut off the hand they used to hurt them.
What do you think? That will take care of everything, won't it? I will do my best to grow up to become someone who can properly determine whether a person is good or bad. I will be the judge.

Kinda scaring me, Ros, but I respect it.

----

Boom.

What did you say—? Tell me what you just said one more time!
Like I said—He's dead! He died a long time ago! The old man pissed off the wrong people, and they dragged his rear end back to their place. He wasn't gonna hand them no money, so they beat his rear end up before he even said anything. You know how old he was. He wasn't gonna survive more than a few days.

He was lynched, and none of you cared?!
poo poo, you think any of us gives a poo poo about someone like Tom? He wanted to see his granddaughter just once, and he never got the chance before he was killed either. His granddaughter stopped talking to him long ago. All the money he scammed off people, he sent it all to her, but he never heard anything back. I tell you, the only reason they don't bother you is cause they still have a use for you, because you can still make money! The rest of us have to watch every single word we say if we don't want to end up six feet under.
Murder is a crime, yeah, but I'll tell you this: no one's going to cross those guys all because some broke rear end old man died. If someone really wants your head, it's not going to take them a whole lot more work than flicking away a speck of dust. They have all kinds of justifications on their side. You hear all that noise out there? They're here for me. This is where it all ends!

—You won't die. I know you didn't kill anyone. I won't stand aside if the punishment you're given is unfair. I'll help you.
Easy for you to say! Look at this! How are you going to get me out this? You're literally standing between me and my only way out!
I'll find a way. Trust me. I won't let you die. No one should be given punishment disproportionate to what they have done. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are wrong. That's why I'll right that wrong, starting right here. This is the only thing I can do right now.

----

I've always wondered how I should go about this. In the beginning, I used to think that Rhodes Island's ideals were too immature and naive. Not exactly bad, but very difficult to accomplish. But looking back, I've come to realize that I'm not actually all that different compared to you people. Amiya, you told me no one can ever show me the way. I think you were right. I realized that long ago, and I prepared myself for it. That said... if all I can ever rely on is my strength, my enthusiasm, and my sword, then can I only ever change that which is within reach of my sword?
Wei said it again and again: no regrets. Whether it was my trip to the core city or my decision to leave Lungmen... I never regretted making those decisions. Perhaps the path that Wei had arranged for me was the best option, but I didn't want to go down that route. I couldn't have. It would only torment me. I'm nervous.
Someone out there had told her—with actions, not words—that there are some ideals that won't ever come true even if you spend an entire lifetime working toward them. Yet even though they will never be realized, you must still work toward them. She's right. She's gone ahead and done it, too.

I, too, will do the things that I have to do. I said this before. This isn't an ideal; it's just my job. It's something that I have a responsibility to see through. Ever since that incident, I've always wondered just what it is I'm supposed to do. I still don't have the answer. I can only do what I can, but...

I'm very glad that Rhodes Island is walking this path with me.

----

Music.

Okay, all done. You guys always finish your missions so quickly...! It hasn't even been a week this time, but you're all done already!
There's a deadline on the contract; just trying to get it over with as soon as possible.
That's amazing! Here's your mission lists, one for each person.
Thanks. And right, we've got a new hire on our team. Here's his application form. Think you can issue the credentials for him?
Hm? New blood on the team?
It was a sudden decision, so I wasn't able to let you know ahead of time. Sorry, this is my fault.
Oh, it's no problem. Give me a minute. I need to get a new form. Oh, and could you pass on some good news to Amiya for me?
What is it?
The prophylactics you guys promoted last time got some really good feedback. If you can manage to keep the price low enough, I think it'll find a decent footing in the market. If you guys can do that, I'm sure we'll send sales through the roof!
That does sound like good news. I'm sure Amiya will be happy to hear that. If the sales volume gets any bigger, though, we'll need to deliver the medicine here straight from Rhodes Island... Hm, I'll let Amiya know right away.
Haha, that sounds wonderful. I haven't seen Amiya in so long!

Are you two... acquainted?
We know each other pretty well! I study medicine, and I used to intern on the ship. I really missed home, though, so I talked to Dr. Kal'tsit about it, and I came back here. It's not bad. Once I make a little more money, I'll have saved up enough to start a clinic with my friends.
Good luck to you.
Thanks. Don't forget, if any operators get hurt during their missions, just come to me for help. I'll patch them right up! Alright, I guess I'll head home.

Sure, I'll walk you back.
Oh, don't worry yourself about me. I'll be alright. You be careful on the road, Ms. Ch'en! There was that murder that happened the other day. That was super creepy, wasn't it...? By the way, I'm not sure if you've heard, but there's actually a pretty interesting followup to the whole thing.
Oh?
Everyone's talking about it. I heard they'd caught someone from the Infected zone at first, but somehow the actual killer turned himself in to the cops not even two days after that, so they ended up letting the first guy go. I don't buy it, though. That's definitely not the entire story.
Why is that?
Well... this stays right here, Ms. Ch'en. Don't let anyone else know!
Alright, I'll keep it a secret.
I have a relative who works at the police station, so this is insider information. I heard the actual killer didn't turn himself in. A mysterious person had caught him and left him in front of the station with evidence!

Batman!

Can you imagine that? Something like that happening in this day and age?
Haha, that does sound really bizarre.
Right?! I even heard the tabloids are going to give this man of mystery a name! The Bad Samaritan! The Punisher Outside the System! The Hero of Poetic Justice! There's so many of them, and they all sound so cool!
...Cool? I'm not sure I agree.
Oh?
If the local police didn't catch the wrong guy, they wouldn't have needed someone else to come out and do their job. I'd rather society have no place for these vigilantes.

Batman is a symptom of a fundamentally broken system of law enforcement!

I guess you're right...

I've got everything packed up. Let's get going.
Roger that. Is that all you're bringing with you? You may not be able to bring everything, but you can still take a few souvenirs.
I'm good. I don't have much to commemorate here. It's better if I start all over...

Obviously this guy is the Infected guy she rescued.

Alright. Let's go, then.

Amiya, I know there will be lots of difficulties on the way there, and I am bound to be disappointed in all sorts of things. But I also know that I won't stop. I will keep charging down my path.

Good luck, Chen. Let us know how it goes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm glad we've got Chen. The world needs at least one uncompromising idealist.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm glad we've got Chen. The world needs at least one uncompromising idealist.

That actually feels like the exact opposite conclusion Ch'en is coming to here.

Ch'en started out in a large system, following uncompromising ideals, and ended up a cop. She saw that a system that doesn't compromise results in people falling through the cracks, so she looked to Columbia in hopes that there was a large system without the same problems. She was disappointed. So is the problem the large system, then? No, that doesn't seem to be the case; Rosmontis is posed as a representative of uncompromising ideals on the individual level, and that doesn't satisfy her either.

So rather than moving from "I am the law" to "I will be the judge," Ch'en's developing flexibility. Does playing Batman uphold her ideals of justice? No, it's the opposite. But in this case, it makes things a little bit better, and so she's willing to do that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's precisely what I mean, though. When I say "uncompromising", I don't mean she's unwilling to accept a less than perfect solution to any individual problem. I mean she's unwilling to step back from her ideals themselves. She knows the real world won't ever live up to her greatest hopes, but she doesn't take that as an excuse to stop hoping.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Hoshiguma's story was great and I really hope we get Fumizuki as a playable character someday. She continues to own. :allears:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. Time for some Paradox Simulations/Operator Records!

To be honest, I've been kind of intentionally avoiding them for a while, so they've started to build up. There were several reasons for this, such as that I haven't actually read most of them so I don't know what to expect (which is bad when I'm presenting an LP), and it's always a pain to do short stories involving brand new casts of characters because I have to make portraits for all of them (this is also a problem with the vignettes). But the most important reason is that I recorded Texas's months ago before realizing that it was a direct sequel to an event we haven't seen yet. Which gave me such awkward feelings that I decided to ignore them. I apologize.

Anyway, today we're doing Firewatch. Mostly because I've already seen it on my main account so we can bridge that level of discomfort at least.

Like most (all?) Paradox Sims, it's balanced around you picking the rightmost skill, ie: the one you learn at the highest promotion level. I guess these are what the devs consider their signature skills, even if in practice a lot of S2s are better than S3s.

Battle Video

Our map. We have access to Firewatch, Gravel, and Yato, the latter of which are just there to be fast-redeploy meat tanks for Firewatch.

There are only two ranged tiles, so we put her on the one in front. I don't know why you'd want to put her on the one in back.

When you deploy Firewatch, she sits up from the ground like she was lying there camouflaged the whole time. Instead of falling from the sky like most people. I think it's a nice touch.

The enemies here are mostly mages, the better to proc her bonus ATK against ranged units. However, that also means they can hit her if they get close. She just barely doesn't kill these guys in one hit. I wonder if she could one-shot them at higher level.

Boom. Firewatch's S2 is kind of fun.

A little way into the map, Crownslayer spawns. She won't do anything except walk around in the circles in the center, but I guess she gives Firewatch something to shoot when there are no other enemies.

Eventually we get some bigger casters who can actually hit Firewatch before they die, which is bad.

This is why Gravel's here.

Boom.

It kind of repeats on the other side, which mostly serves to remind me that using the bomb on the bottom group was completely pointless. I guess you're supposed to be catching Crownslayer with these bombs? But honestly she dies pretty fast anyway.

This one was satisfying.

And this is the final wave.

Boom.

Yay! Mission complete! Many explosions. And now for the story part:

On My Way

quote:

The one who survived walks the road of revenge.

They told me it was all over. My homeland, my companions, everything buried now.

Music.

But I knew, it had only just begun.
...And I'm on my way.

04:50 PM \ Overcast
A town in northern Kazimierz

Here you go. Bread and clean water, all in here. Incredible, you are! Fought 'em off, no, wiped 'em out alone, all those gloompincers... Didn't expect one young lady like you'd finish up that job in half an afternoon. Even going out all together, the young'uns couldn't handle it. Frankly, it gave me a scare, our town being so small. And I've never seen someone fight as ferocious as you.
...I'll be fine without.
Don't want any bread or water? Well... alright, we've got some medicine here too. It's from the caravan that passed through last time. We had to trade them a good amount for it. They were worth plenty, I'll tell you. By the sights of it, you've been hurt bad, haven't you? You could probably use it.
I don't need it.

I assume she's refusing at least in part because she doesn't trust people.

Th-Then what do you need? Gold coins? That'll be tough. We're only a little town, and rabble comes by shaking us down every few days, plus all the beasts making trouble out there... Our pockets are all emptied out by the end of the year. Barely a penny we've got.
The day before. People sighted a Kuranta the day before, black clothing and a crossbow, heading this way. Tell me where they are.
Crossbow? The kind you use for hunting?
The kind used to murder.
M-Murder? You've got to be joking... no, the look in your eyes says you aren't joking one bit... how frightful... *cough* How could someone like that show up in a little place like ours?
Don't screw with me.
I-I-I-I-Is that a weapon? Don't, erm, please don't shoot! I swear, I haven't seen anyone like the person you describe—
The ones in the last village saw. And told me. They went this way.
Per... perhaps they already passed through here, went south? There's an even bigger town that way, more food, cleaner water... Oh, god, Heaven above! Miss, god, believe me, please, I've got no reason to lie to you at all. Look, please, here, this is the last of my family's money, we were saving it for the year-end tax, this is all we've got, have it, have it all...

...I said, I don't need it. Forget it. You can go.

He runs off.

Another day, empty-handed. But no matter. You can't hide much longer. I'll be following you. All the way—until I find you, one, by one, all of you.

----

Music.

What's this? Bread, and water. And medicine. He was scared so bad, he ran off without a trace, and yet he still deliberately came back in after. Is he trying to show thanks? But it was only a few gloompincers, nothing more. It took no effort on my part. People like him... do remind me... of back then.

Grandpa, who are they? Are they the nice knights everyone talks about?

They aren't...? Are the things they're carrying like the ones the bad people use to pick on us? I... I'm sort of scared. But they're good people, right? They helped us fight off the bad people. I want to say thank you to them. I don't really have any good stuff to give them. Would this half of my scone be okay? I can play a harmonica song for them too.

Mm-hm, I hope they can stay with. With all of us, forever.

Now all that's left is this harmonica. Nice knights? *sigh*... Whether then, or now... it's all the same. If they're still around... if... It's too bad—there is no “if.”

Music.

Hey, someone's here! Whoa, and a bunch of food—not much good, but good enough to eat tonight.
Leave.
Did you just tell me to leave? Who do you think you are? It's just sitting here. Is there a name on it? I don't see you eating it. I found it now, so it's mine.

Then just take it and get lost.
Wait up, what's that you're holding? A harmonica? Heh, some tacky toy. Whatever. If I take it to the city, I might find some boring old guy who thinks it's worth something.
This is not for you to touch.
Oh, you talk pretty tough, don't you? Who do you even think I am, brat? Just look at you. How long has it been since you ate something?
I'm warning you—*cough*, *cough* *cough*.
Jeez. You seem pretty sick at that. You'd best believe I could knock you over with a single poke. What'cha playing at? Don't spook me now, it's dark out here. You think you can threaten anyone with a bare tree branch?
I gave you plenty of warning. You didn't listen.

Thwack.

Ow, ff-ow-ow-ow—that's a crossbow! That's the kind for killing people, isn't it?!

...Was he about to say 'gently caress' and stopped himself? That's kind of funny now that I notice it.

Get. Lost. I don't want to kill anyone tonight. At the very least, not you.
Spare me... bud, just spare me! You can have this, have it all back. I'm outta here, I promise!

He runs off.

Mm... *cough* *cough*, *cough* *cough* *cough*.

Who's there?
I... *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*... I have to stay up... stay awake. I still haven't... I...

----

Music.

I still haven't found those traitors yet. So long as that day doesn't come, they can never rest in peace—
And I can never, ever stop.

Hello? Are you okay? Seems she hasn't passed out completely... though she's at the point she can't stand. Identity confirmation... yes, just like in the mission description. This should be the target, no mistake. Serious wounds, fever temperatures, and gravely malnourished... she hasn't eaten properly in forever, and hasn't slept, either. Nutritional supplements... and some emergency meds... Lucky I packed enough for the road. Dr. Kal'tsit really sees every last thing coming.

She collapses.

----

It shows a forest background and then immediately fades to black before showing the same background again. I assume this is to represent her fading in and out of consciousness.

You're up.
Who are you?!
Don't be alarmed, I mean you no harm. I'm employed by a pharmaceutical company named Rhodes Island. I'm responsible for field work in this area. Here, this is my work ID.

That doesn't prove anything. IDs and papers and whatever can all be forged.
Fair enough, they can. Haha, you're just like I heard. An extremely cautious youngster.
Heard? From who?
Oh, jeez, don't get all tense again. Look, I'm serious, I'm not anyone bad. I don't even have any weapons that big or lethal on me. At best, a couple of tools for defending myself from beasts. I've got nothing on you. I see that crossbow of yours... look, it's still right there. You could reach out and grab it. Can we have a real talk now?
If you're up to something, you'll regret having stepped into this forest.
Yes. I believe you. The crossbow in your hands has already told me that much.
Right now, you need to tell me. Who was it that told you anything about me?
That's... er... There's been reports of a very young Elafia girl who's been all around the northern villages of Kazimierz lately, looking for any leads on a specific group. Plenty of people have been picking up on it, actually.

How old is she anyway? People act like she's a kid which seems weird to me, but what do I know? And I suppose if this is her backstory maybe she's younger here than she is now?

The footprints left behind when tracking prey. I wouldn't have made a mistake like that in the past... but I don't care that I have. Who told you to look for me?
That'd be Rhodes Island. Just like I introduced earlier, Rhodes Island is a pharmaceutical company, doing business in all areas. They've been seeking all sorts of suitable talent, too, and they'd like to invite you to join.
A pharmaceutical company?

Did you drug me just now?
Only some nutritional supplements and simple first-aid medication. I'm no Medic Operator. I personally can't give you any better of an examination, nor further treatment. You look a good bit better now, luckily. Your injuries should be holding decently. If we want any further diagnosis, you'll need to come back to Rhodes Island with me.
To treat me. And you want to hire me. Seeing as you've investigated, you should already know. I don't understand the first thing about medicine. The only thing I can do is fight. So, what would a pharmaceutical company want a hired bow for?
Er... oh, boy, that one... er, like I said earlier, Rhodes Island does a lot of business, and frequently comes into contact with a lot of different people in a lot of different areas. And during those contacts, we unavoidably run into some emergencies. At times like that, we need people with special skills like yours, to help give Rhodes Island a fighting chance.

You can never have too many mercs, I suppose.

Whether person or organization, you have to have strength if you want to survive.
Right. I'm sure you can understand.
But my strength has other uses.
Do you mean those people you're looking for?
Yes. Every day I haven't found them is one more day my footsteps will not cease.
I understand... I'm not too clear about your past, but it's a very common thing, isn't it? Just like us inside Rhodes Island. We've got scores of operators, all with their own differing and individual attachments.
Is that so?
We won't ever interfere in an operator's private affairs, and outside of missions, everyone has freedom.

"You can hunt down and murder the people who've wronged you, but only off the clock."

Beyond that, when an operator needs it, providing aid doesn't go against our standards, Rhodes Island will provide whatever you want—medical service, crucial information, or necessary strength. It's why a good few Operators chose to join Rhodes Island, really.
Then the people I need to find... Can Rhodes Island help me there?
It's not my place to say anything else. Just, us helping you look for someone—that'd be more effective than you going it alone around Kazimierz, or even areas beyond, right?
Alone, you probably wouldn't hold out for too long. You're short on supplies, and you don't have any help. I'll be honest, you're not in the best of shape right now. If you need to find someone, accomplish some goal, then first you need to ensure your survival, right? How do I put it? In our world, if you want to get something done, even if it's as bare and simple as staying alive, a bunch of heads all together always beats one.
(Days with no help, only able to rely on myself to live... It's not like I've never gone through times like these. The feeling of someone there to help... I can't deny... day in, day out, I miss it. In that case, this should go a little quicker now.)
You're right. Rhodes Island... a pharmaceutical company. Not out to do anything bad, right?

On that point, you can rest assured.
Alright. So long as you're willing to lend me more strength— I can lend my strength to you. I'll join.
That's wonderful, then! I won't ask for much more information. Once we get back to Rhodes Island, there'll be HR operators who'll check with you separately. After all the red tape's done with, you can officially become a Rhodes Island Operator. I think I can say it'll be a delight to work together with, er...? Um, what should I call you?
...Firewatch.

Past, present, future... no matter where I am. Until I find every last traitor, until I fulfil my revenge— This will be the only name I possess.

And that's Firewatch. To be perfectly honest, I think it's one of the weaker Operator Records since it doesn't really tell you much that you couldn't just infer from her profile. And considering these have different writers than the main story, sometimes I wonder if they just show the writer the profile and let them loose without any other guidance. That said, I like Firewatch so I can't dislike it too much.

Anyway, since I have some extra space here I'm going to introduce a couple of new characters I pulled:

Estelle is a 4* AOE Guard, the same archetype as Specter. She's... basically a weaker version of Specter in every way, but considering how OP Specter is, that doesn't mean she's BAD per se...

Estelle is an Archosaurian (crocodile) from Unknown. Her oripathy somehow gave her gigantic horns which are not common for her race. She hates her horns and is in a constant state of anxiety over people staring at her because of them, etc. She's basically a nervous wreck in social situations, which contrasts with her fearlessness in battle. She's very strong and hits people with her tail, making her the only AOE Guard who doesn't use a chainsaw or other heavy-duty mechanized tool.

Talent (Self-Healing): She restores 12% of her max HP whenever an enemy dies in one of the 8 surrounding tiles. Most AOE Guards have some sort of survivability passive (such as Specter's regeneration), and this helps her deal with large swarms easily.

S1 (ATK Up β): Increases ATK.

S2 (Sacrificial Strike): Increases her ATK by a much larger amount, but prevents her from being healed by allies for the duration. This doesn't count healing auras like Perfumer or Skadi.

Magallan is a 6* Summoner who you all voted for on my last recruitment ticket. Unlike most summoners, her drones are flying and have 0 block, which makes her more of an offensive summoner than defensive like everyone else. She's also getting a buff soon with a new upgrade system introduced in the next patch, so look forward to that.

Magallan is a Liberi (penguin) from Columbia (bird USA). She's an employee of Rhine Lab, and like most of them she is completely obsessed with her research, which in her case is charting the unexplored frozen wastelands of the north. Ever since childhood she's heard stories of forgotten civilizations buried beneath the ice, and nothing can stop her from achieving her dream of finding out what's really there. But to quote her profile, she's been: "praised as a child, doubted as a young woman, criticized as an adult." Not many people have the patience to risk their lives over a fantasy, after all. But, well, not many people are Magallan. She has a cute pet name for her boss, who as noted in previous discussions of Rhine Lab is an actual supervillain. We haven't met said boss yet, but I find this incredibly funny.

Talent 1 (Support Drone - Soaring Dragon): Allows her to summon up to 5 drones (3 at once). The properties of the drones change depending on what skill she has equipped.

Talent 2 (Optical Refraction Accessories): All her drones start Invisible for 20 seconds after deployment, meaning they can't be targeted by ranged attacks. I guess that's good, but why can't they just be invisible all the time...?

S1 (High-Efficiency Freezing Module): Passive: Both Magallan and her drones emit a slowing pulse hitting everything in their attack range. Active: This aura changes from slow to bind (enemy can't move at all). Also, all drones are retreated when the skill ends. The retreating part seems really bad to me, but I've never used her, to be honest. At least they get refunded so you can redeploy them. Anyway, this is her CC mode, but the pulses don't really come out that often so I don't know how useful it is.

S2 (Laser Mining Module): Passive: Drones can be deployed on melee tiles and deal single target arts damage. Active: Magallan and her drones all get double attack speed and their attacks become AOE. Also the drones retreat when it's done. Double damage AOE attacks sound pretty good! Also, arts damage is good because it can't be made negligible by DEF like physical attacks can. Maybe I'm dumb but I feel like this would be her bread-and-butter mode?

S3 (Armed Combat Module): Passive: Drones can be deployed on ranged tiles and deal AOE physical damage. Active: Magallan and her drones all get double ATK and increased AOE. Also the drones retreat when it's done. The drones have about the same ATK as an AA Sniper, so doubling that is... pretty decent? They attack a lot slower than the arts drones though, so I feel like the total dps would be lower, even ignoring DEF. Maybe I am dumb though, and/or the passive AOE is the good part.

Also I promoted Magallan to E2 just because. To be frank, I haven't been getting enough reader votes lately to actually change the party lineup in the way I've been doing it before, so instead I decided to just use whoever gets the most votes in the latest poll in isolation. Then I can squeeze them into my existing team wherever I want. So I'll be using Magallan, Chen, and Bena next event!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Firewatch is one of my favs too. I'm looking forward to her module for more lore. Also you can definitely do her paradox sim with S1, that's how I did it. Then again, I have it M3ed.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I've done all the Operator records before Mountain's and a couple after, and the only ones that I remember doing something beyond operator characterization were Hellagur (basically a sequel to his talk with Patriot in Chernobog, taking place in the chapter 7-8 timeframe) and Savage (one of the rare looks at Babel, even if it's not the focus). They're mostly fluff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I thought Mostima's was interesting recently, but maybe I just like suffering.

Meteor's also added a lot to what was kind of a shallow character imo.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 12, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just noticed that this game is rated for players 12+ which seems funny to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back! A new event starts today so I'll be getting to that soon, but I was thinking maybe it'd be nice to give you guys a chance to vote to use characters from the new event banner that I might've pulled. You know, just for fun. So without further ado:

Savage is a 5* Centurion (AOE Guard, like Specter). The latest patch added all the official names for the archetypes. And archetypes themselves are officially known as Branches. Anyway, Savage is a weird character since she's a freebie who was only given out at launch and then a new copy every anniversary. Her kit is a little unusual for an Centurion, in a bad way.

Savage is a Cautus (rabbit) from Rim Billiton (rabbit Australia). She's a former employee of Babel and knew Amiya from then, but when they went underground and became Rhodes Island she never got the call and only found out much later what had happened. In the meantime, she went back to her old job as a safety officer for Rim Billiton miners. She's sort of a big sister figure for Amiya (unlike the Doctor and Theresa who are more like her parents), and likes to feed her cakes and whatnot. She unconsciously uses arts to make her sledgehammer cause explosions at the point of impact, which is metal.

Talent (Valley): Increases her ATK and DEF by 10% when she's adjacent to at least 2 ranged tiles. IE: If she's in the "valley" between two cliffs. Although it also works in corners. Decent but not amazing.

S1 (Power Strike β): Every 5th hit has double ATK. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

S2 (Precise Blast): This is weird. It charges by attacking, and on use immediately hits up to 4 enemies 3 tiles in front of her for big damage. Making her a nuker, like Chen or Cutter. And just like Chen or Cutter, this is made much less useful by the fact that she has to attack 20 times to charge it up. Also it has a weirdly low limit on the number of enemies it can hit? But if you want a weird Swordmaster/Centurion hybrid she's your girl.

La Pluma is a 5* Reaper, a brand new Guard Branch that she's the first member of. Although basically she's an AOE version of Utage with no target limit who heals more the more enemies she's hitting. Which sounds super broken when I put it like that. Maybe she's super broken. That said, just like Utage she can't be healed so you have to be at least a little careful with her. Presumably.

La Pluma, not to be confused with Plume, is a Liberi (bird) from Bolívar (dog Bolivia). She grew up during the Bolívarian Civil War, and as her father and later her adopted father were both soldiers, she more specifically grew up in the army camp of a resistance group opposing both of the other governments (the war was complicated). As such, despite her air-headed demeanor she's no stranger to war and loss. She, er, seems to have a complicated family situation that'll probably be gone into more during the event itself, so I won't comment on that too much when I haven't read it yet.

Talent (Into the Groove): She gains 3% attack speed for every enemy she kills, stacking up to 12 times. Pretty good. I would prefer ATK to attack speed but you can't have everything. Also it means she heals more which is good.

S1 (Rapid Slashing): Every 4th hit has bonus ATK and hits twice. More healing, yay!

S2 (Reap): Increases both her ATK and attack speed. She also deals additional damage to enemies below 50% HP. Basically just makes her better at what she's already good at. More reaping! Never enough reaping!

Projekt Red (hereafter Red) is a 5* Executor, which is the Fast-Redeploy Specialist Branch like Gravel and Phantom. I find it funny that Executor is not an Executor. She's more offense oriented than Gravel, but that's not necessarily a good thing since her offense is kinda bad anyway. That said, she's also an on-demand stun which is cool. Also, I didn't pull her normally, I got her from a ticket they gave away as part of the anniversary celebration:

quote:

A couple of blond Fortes are selling gold pieces of paper at three times the stated price. This voucher can be used to buy aid packages for competition knights in the arena, or as bankroll to bet on, but be prepared to pay more than the number printed on it. A piece of paper, a huge sum, a knight's life of honor and shame.
I love this description even though it doesn't really mean anything. Anyway:

We got a choice of one of these four operators, and since we already have the other three I picked Red.

Red is a Lupo (wolf) from Unknown. One of Kal'tsit's adopted strays, she's almost a feral child who seems to have grown up with minimal interaction with other people. She speaks only in short, simple phrases and likes to sniff people. However, she must have been raised as an assassin or something, because she is quite good at killing people and will instinctively stab anyone who gets within 10 centimeters of her. She is drawn towards other Lupo like Texas and Lappland, but her... aura makes them feel extremely uncomfortable so they avoid her.

Talent (Chill): Her minimum damage is raised to 30% of ATK instead of 5%. This only matters against enemies with higher DEF than her ATK, but her ATK sucks so that's most of them. That said, she's still not very good at hurting high DEF enemies, who tend to have a lot of HP too and she's just not very strong.

S1 (Execution Mode): On deployment, she gain a decent ATK boost as well as a chance to dodge attacks. Sadly it is not good as Phantom's version of the same thing. It's difficult for her to kill casters, for example. But not impossible.

S2 (Wolfpack): On deployment, she immediately deals 200% ATK and stuns all enemies in a 5 tile cross around her. Basically this turns her into less of an operator and more of an on-demand spell that stuns things. It's really cool.

Last but not least:

Chen the Holungday is a 6* Spreadshooter (a short-ranged AOE sniper like Pinecone and Executor). She's also Chen in a swimsuit, because this the long-awaited beach event. Don't worry though, it's cool. I assume. At the very least the writers care enough to have more than fanservice in their swimsuit events. Anyway, Chen the Holungday is super OP and breaks the game over her knee.

Chen is Chen. Again, you know who Chen is. This is what she looks like on vacation. Female Tourist C. She attacks with a water gun which is kinda dumb compared to previous alts who were, like, cool. But she's still Chen, deep inside.

Talent 1 (Frugality): When deployed, Chen and other operators with ammo-based skills have a chance to not consume ammo when attacking (ammo-based skills deactivate when you run out of ammo rather than having a timer). Toddifons is our only other ammo-user, with her S2. The chance is 10% for others, but doubles to 20% for Chen herself.

Talent 2 (Vestiges of Vacation): Increases her attack speed by 8%. This is increased to 12% in stages with water terrain. Most stages do not have water terrain.

S1 (High-Pressure Splash): Every 6 shots, she gains 4 ammo that increases her ATK significantly and deals the bonus point-blank damage that all Spreadshooters have to all targets. This is a weird skill with oddly high uptime for an auto-activated on-hit ability, but too bad no one will ever use it because her other skills are broken.

S2 ('Night of Violet'): On use, she gains 8 ammo that increases her ATK, and slows all enemies in her attack and lowers their DEF a little. This skill can be overcharged, meaning that it continues to gain SP even when it's ready, and if its cooldown finishes twice before you use it it gains a bonus effect. In this case, it grants 20 ammo instead of 8. So it's got a little flexibility with its uptime.

S3 ('Holiday Storm'): On use, she gains 32 ammo, increases her ATK and attack range, applies her point-blank bonus to all targets, hits twice, and also slows and lowers the DEF of everything in range. Wow, that's a lot of things. But the big takeaway is that she does big damage to everything. Big damage. So much damage... It uses up two ammo per attack because she's shooting twice, so it's really only 16 attacks.

Incidentally:

Because we have the old Chen leveled up and we can't use both at once, the game takes pity on us and gives us a little refund to help promote her alternate form. Just so you don't feel like you wasted your time, I suppose. And speaking of which, I need you to vote on which Chen we'll be using for the event (Sword Chen or Gun Chen). I assume it's going to be the new one, but just in case.

Also we got ANOTHER anniversary ticket that lets us pick any launch 5* we want. Hey, it's Franka, she's right there! We could have Franka and Liskarm fighting back to back! Or we could get Istina and fill out our Ursus bear quota! The possibilities are endless! Vote vote vote! Incidentally, Ptilopsis is the correct meta answer.

Also vote on whoever you want, just generally! I don't care! If enough people shout a name I'll try to use them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 15, 2022

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ptilopsis has been with me since I started the game (because of the LP!). She's super good. Let her have her moment!

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Chalter and more chalter. Oh for the ticket? Red I guess.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

La Pluma and no Ch'en for the team, Ptilopsis for the ticket.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

On the matter of the ticket… yeah, Ptilopsis. She’s great.

Also Gun Chen

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 14, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Leraika posted:

La Pluma and no Ch'en for the team, Ptilopsis for the ticket.

We're not voting for Chen or no Chen, we're voting for sword Chen or gun Chen. Chen was already voted in last time and I already leveled her up.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Sword Chen.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Fair enough. Sword Chen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Franka and Sword Chen