Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Rando
Nov 29, 2013
Only an occasional reader here (trying to keep the main story unspoiled) but I've got to add to the enthusiasm, YES, want to see Bagpipe in action!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Welcome back. First off, yesterday as of this writing they released this cool music video promoting the event. It's got some cool fight scenes with Chen and Lin, more or less recreating the cutscenes of DH-2. I highly recommend it. Secondly, give us the rat, Hypergryph. I mean, secondly, last time we left off with Lin and Chen trapped in a store where they planned to blow their way out with a bomb.

No Escape

quote:

Ernesto has achieved his goal, but he still needs to think of a method of escape...

Battle Video. Battle Music. Another Tutorial mission!

Well, I'm sure with skills like yours, you won't be too hurt by that little explosive. Just stay trapped in there for me, please? Phew... alright, looks like these are all Ms. Candela's ambushers. They're not on our side. Can't let my guard down yet. Luckily these are expansive natural waters. Typical enemies will find it hard to get through. Enemy movement will be slowed in the water, and they'll take continual damage. Wading through to land's not wise. I just need to find a narrow strip of land...

Two Dockworkers spawn on the left.

One of them jumps into the water and kills himself, while the other one walks to the edge and seems to reconsider it.

And then leaves...

...Before coming back with a boat. Good thinking, Dockworker dude.

Grr, amphibious motorboats. They have stuff like that ready too? The waters aren't gonna mess them up at all now. What can I do... Right, I could construct some standable Platforms on the water. Anyone should be able to use temporary platforms like these, if I remember correctly.

It automatically spawns two floating rubber platforms and a couple of Slower Supporters to stand on them. Istina and Podenco.

The boat snakes its way through the two slowers before getting wrecked by Indigo. Who as you may recall is a Mystic Caster who charges up multiple attacks at once and causes bind. Incidentally, I noticed two things about her in this mission that I hadn't really considered when I did her write-up: first, when she fires off a charged attacks, that actually counts as attacking multiple times, greatly increasing her chance of inflicting bind. Second, since her talent won't let her attack bound targets, this means that she will stop attacking entirely and and start charging up again until the enemy's bind wears off, and then she'll try to fire multiple shots to bind them again. It's actually a pretty cool combo, more interesting than Iris at least.

Anyway, when the boat is killed, the rider is dropped off right where it was. Which in this case is underwater, so he dies pretty quickly.

The vehicles might take a beating, but as long as they break down on the water, they'll get dumped in. And then they're no different from meat ready for the slaughter. Deploy on these Floating Platforms to attack them, and destroy their vehicles before they reach land.

You can deploy platforms for 3 DP anywhere on water, and any operator can stand on them.

The interesting part about this is that there's no distinction between ranged and melee units when they're on the platforms, meaning you can block with ranged units if you really want to (all ranged operators have 1 block). Or I guess more generally adds a huge amount of flexibility to placement.

Anyway we tank them in the middle and pelt them with arts damage.

Hot Pursuit

quote:

It's true that Ch'en dislikes this city and such competitions, but it's also undeniable that she dislikes losing.
Music.

Contestant Mizuki gave up obstructing the ambush, headed on top of the arms shop ruins where Ch'en and Lin are buried, halted for a moment and then vanished without a trace. All of our surveillance and drones have been unable to locate him. And of the teams at the head, Honey Summer has become the first to reach the swimming checkpoint. All the other teams up front are successively passing through, too.
And as for our most arresting LUNG wRATh, Ernesto has already been toppled at the rear, and our staff have judged that he's lost the ability to fight on. Ch'en and Lin, our two heroines, still show no signs of movement. Could this truly be where it all ends?!

Ch'en, you're kidding, right? This can't be the place, can it?

Miss Hoshiguma really cares a lot about the competition.
As if. She's got a ton of money riding on Ch'en. That's all. They've known each other for so long now. Who cares whether she wins or loses a competition like this? Losing doesn't mean something's up, and winning isn't gonna prove anything. I'm hoping she loses, really. That's the excuse I need to make fun of her. Here, Eyjafjalla. Closer. Let me try this facial cream on you. I think it'll make you look great.
Alright, then. Thank you.

Explosion.

Suddenly, another boom resounds, coming from the screen whose shot is fixed on Ernesto's arms shop.

Hold on, could it be...

----

Music.

Onscreen, smoke pours forth, and out from it, pushing a bicycle, Ch'en and Lin Yühsia emerge.

They're out, they're out! They're finally out! Ch'en and Lin once again stand on the competition stage! However, the two only have one bicycle left, and the swimming checkpoint is still a distance away. And at this point, the lead pack have already started on the swim. Do LUNG wRATh really still have a chance?

Get moving. I'll run.
Hop on.
?
Don't make me repeat myself. Hop on.
You're sure?
I'll ride, you sort out anyone in the way.

It's so beautiful. They only have one bicycle left, but Lin refuses to leave Ch'en behind. She's having Ch'en stand on her own bike's back seat, and as she cycles, Ch'en is ready to handle anyone with a mind to obstruct them. Two people, one single bicycle, and an act of perfect coordination to leave us all in awe! Dare I say that right now, their combination is the mightiest in this whole championship!

You stepped on my hair.
Enemies in front. I can't help it.
Can you stop twisting?
Why don't you try pedaling?

Ch'en suddenly pushes Lin Yühsia's head down, narrowly avoiding a head-on collision with a tire.

Lin Yühsia then lifts her head back up, and fiercely knocks it into Ch'en's face.

Yühsia, you—!
Accident.

LUNG wRATh have broken through the final stretch at breakneck speeds, and reached the beach. The swimming checkpoint is right before their eyes. But the other teams clearly won't let them through that easily. A vicious beach battle is about to commence!

Battle Video. Battle Music.

Here's our map. It's kind of weird, with a lot of idiosyncratic enemy paths. Although the first group of grunts just head straight from the lower left to the top left.

A basic formation. Rafela can stop anyone trying to go up, as well as deal significant damage to anyone trying to walk in front of her. Eagle-eyed viewers will note that I'm recording this on practice mode; basically I wanted to make myself look less stupid show off more of the strategy, rather than brute-forcing it like I did on my first clear.

Rafela's range is necessary because all the divers spawning in the lower left will instead take this path. But between Rafaela and Beanstalk they will all die before they reach the water, and maps with deep water never have tides so I don't need to worry about them going invisible. Actually, the tidal maps and the deep water maps have almost completely unrelated gimmicks since it's impossible for our operators to get submerged. It's kind of weird, like we changed the game entirely halfway through. The only connection is dunking enemies in the water.

We place our first platform up on the top lane.

And Specter will stand there, which will be important later. Incidentally, if an operator dies or retreats while on top of a platform, the platform disappears with them for some reason. This is a little annoying since you have a limited stock of them.

Finally we get our first motorboat enemy. Boats are even tankier than Dockworkers, and naturally cannot ever be submerged. They don't suffer any penalty on land either: they're completely amphibious. Anyway, these particular ones will take a really, really long route doing two laps around the edge before going into the middle exit. Given the tutorial I think you're expected to use slowers and whittle away at them as they move? But slowers are for cowards.

Boats are completely different enemies from Dockworkers and have their own special skills. They take up 3 block value to block, meaning most people can't block them at all and even a Defender or Centurion (AOE Guard) can't block anything else at the same time. They also deal damage to anyone they run over, although it's not too significant unless you put squishy ranged units in their path.

They also deal their ramming damage when they first hit someone who can block them, which lets them effectively get 2 attacks off immediately. I didn't realize this for a while so I kind of overestimated their ATK and overcompensated. In fact, it's quite easy to keep them tanked forever with any healing at all, and unlike Dockworkers they won't stun their blocker. Which honestly makes them LESS threatening? So it's often a good idea to keep the boat alive so you won't have to deal with the Dockworker immediately.

Not that it matters here, where I can easily take out the boat with Eyja and Magallan, and then the Dockworker falls in the water and drowns.

In unrelated news, I also put a line of platforms on the top lane behind Specter, forcing the Divers out of the water so I can shoot them with Eyja earlier (and also they deal less damage while on land). It's kind of funny to me that a diver is somehow compelled to climb up onto any flotations devices in their path, rather than swimming under it.

And another boat, same as the first.

For the final wave, we have another group of divers going from the top right all the way around the bottom, which wastes my time but they're no match for Rafaela and Beanstalk.

Music.

That's our Team LUNG wRATh! If it's a fight you want, they ain't gonna disappoint! They took down all the guys that surrounded them with ease! But the teams up front have already swum more than halfway through! Will LUNG wRATh make it?!

What are you looking at? Get swimming.
I'm trying to figure something out.
What?
Now that both of us suspect Ernesto, and he's behind us, perhaps we should have prioritized taking him out.
You have a point. But we aren't sure he's actually behind any of this yet. Besides, no matter who's behind it, it's clear they don't want us to win the competition. But as a goal, that's not specific enough.
Right. In other words, they don't want us to get on the ship.
Enough chit-chat. We're losing.
Us? No way. You go on ahead. I haven't done something like this in a while. I need to prepare first.
Okay...

She leaves.

----

The two of them had a short discussion, and then, for one reason or another, Ch'en leaped into the water by herself. Meanwhile, Lin stayed behind on the beach. Looks like she's warming up and picking up sand. We already know that Lin can turn sand into glass to use as a weapon. Is she trying to build a glass bridge to cross the ocean?

Dad would definitely be able to build a bridge with the sand here. I can't do that. But that doesn't mean I don't have my own way of doing things. This should be enough. Now where is Ch'en Hui-chieh... Perfect.
Hmph... Go!

What's this...?! Lin is actually 'running' on the ocean's surface!
No, she isn't running. She's leaping. With the sand she collected, she's synthesizing glass pillars at wherever she lands to give herself her next leap. And to save on sand, she's even jumping on top of whoever happens to be nearby, using them as springboards. Hahaha, this is good. This is very good!
Well, that's a hell of a way to cross the water. Never seen anything like it before! And this probably means that the two of them talked it over beforehand. There ain't enough springboards out in the ocean, so Ch'en would go first to pave the way for Lin. The two of them once again showing just how touching their comradeship can be!

Hahaha, that's quite an unexpected technique that Miss Lin is using, but I kind of doubt they agreed on it beforehand.
True. The way Ch'en looked when the camera flew past her was so funny.
Huh, I really didn't expect the two of them working together to be so much fun.

Honey Summer is still in the lead, and contestant Jarvan is making his way toward the goal with an unstoppable momentum. The other teams are right behind them. But none of them ever expected Lin right on their tails! She blew straight past third place! And she's using our second place contestant's head as her springboard!
Jarvan has noticed her, but there's nothing he can do about it! The heartless damsel flew right past Jarvan! And right over his head, even! First place! Miss Lin is the first to make it to the goal! Team LUNG wRATh remains at the top of the list! My, how the turntables have turned!

Oh, come on, you're kidding me. How did they manage to win when the odds were stacked against them? That's basically cheating. Haha, hahaha... What do I do now?

Turnabout is Fair Play

quote:

Ch'en knows very well that Ernesto harbors ill intentions, but she is not alone.
Music.

Papa, the lackeys told me to tell you all the preparations are complete.

Is that so?
Hm? Papa, you don't seem very happy.
Mhm.
How come? I thought you've been waiting for this day for a long time.
Candela's a lot more difficult to deal with than you imagine. We mustn't let our guard down until the very last moment. Rafaela.
Hm?
If things look like they are about to take a turn for the worse, you make sure to get out of here with Ernesto.
Eh? I want to stay with you, Papa.
Be a good girl and do as I say. You should never have been part of this. If Old Pugh found out he entrusted his daughter to me only for me to make her go through all this, he'd probably dig his way out of his grave and kill me. As for that brat Ernesto... Hmph...
What about him?
He thinks I can't tell how he feels, but of course I can.
He's not trying to betray us.
I know, and we won't see this through without him. But he doesn't actually want to do this himself.
Why is that?
Who doesn't want to just eat well, sleep well, and worry about nothing else?

Pancho reaches his hand to his adopted daughter's head and gives her a pet.

Okay, be a good girl and bring me my pipe. I need some time alone.
Okay...

----

Miss Ch'en, there you are. Where's Miss Lin? I thought you two would be together.
Dropping the act already?

Music.

Now that we've come to this, there's really no reason to keep up the facade any more, is there? I really didn't think you two could break out of my shop, though. I guess I didn't give you enough credit. I'm curious, though. How did you find out?
Lin Yühsia spotted your men setting up bombs during the first round. We didn't tell you, though.
You were already suspicious of me at that point?
As a precaution. And our suspicions were confirmed when we found the same explosives in your store.
I see. I didn't expect the fight to be over that soon.
So what will you do? Will you put up a struggle, or will you turn yourself in?
I just want to say one thing, Miss Ch'en. Perhaps you'll come to have a different opinion about all this after I'm done.
I'm listening.
Miss Ch'en, how familiar are you with Bolívar's history?
Can't say I know much.

Ooh, I love history lessons.

Right. You studied abroad in Victoria, and Victoria hasn't really meddled in Bolívar's affairs that much. If you haven't ever gone out of your way to look into our history, I can't fault you for not being familiar with the subject. Before Iberia discovered this place, it was nothing more than a plain called Bolívar. The Iberians found many Originium veins here, and that's why they decided to stay and turn it into a colony.

A little cowardly to neatly sidestep all the issues of colonialism and native genocide, but I suppose that's not what they want this particular story to be about.

Then, one way or another, Iberia's rule here came to an end. After a period of chaos that lasted 130 years, the Leithaniens came. And that's how Bolívar became a Leithanien dependency. About two centuries ago, Bolívar evolved from a dependency to a vassal state. That's the Singas dynasty. You could say that was when Bolívar became the Bolívar we know, although the Singas dynasty's subjects never called themselves Bolívarians.
Then, during the Witch King's reign, Leithania tried to stir up civil unrest in Columbia through Bolívar. But not only did their efforts fail, Bolívar was actually invaded by Columbia, and that was when the Coalition government was established. And from then on, Bolívar was split between both Columbia and Leithania. Leithania didn't really care about Bolívar that much, and while Columbia was teeming with ambition, Bolívar was too big for it to engulf at once. And that's how this tug-of-war started.
Then, unable to bear the situation any longer, the Bolívarians chose to take up arms. They formed a resistance movement and called themselves True Bolívarians, and they swore they would make Bolívar a real country one day. Unfortunately, things only took a turn for the worse. True Bolívarians's establishment only dragged Bolívar into even deeper waters. In the end, this is the mess that Bolívar has found itself in. The Coalition government, the Singas dynasty, and True Bolívarians. The three sides are in a perpetual war with no end in sight.
Not only that, but this city Dossoles emerged out of the chaos. Under Ms. Candela's management, not only is the city well-liked by all three governments, but all three of them even owe Ms. Candela more than a few favors. That's because this city has resources that they can't just ignore, and Ms. Candela also has the power to defend this city. And so, the city has become a place that all Bolívarians set their sights on. Every Bolívarian who's fed up with war dreams of saving up enough money to come here for a vacation, or even get a fresh start here.

Miss Ch'en, you and Miss Lin are good at heart, so I am sure you both are well aware. Aware of what kind of a place this city is. Let's say the three governments are still intent on uniting all of Bolívar. That's something that would never cross Ms. Candela's mind. To put it bluntly, Miss Ch'en, this city's prosperity was built on top of the pain and suffering of all Bolívarians. And the more prosperous it is, the less hope this country has. This is a fact that many of those who truly love Bolívar cannot accept.
And you are one of them?
I am. There should not be a city like this within Bolívar's borders.
Your goal is to destroy it.
No, that would be a waste. Our goal is to sow terror.
So you're telling me all this to try to talk me into helping you?

Hardly. I'm not so confident that I can persuade someone to join our ranks with just a few words. But I am hoping you and Miss Lin could stand by and not get involved. I am sure you can see. You can at least see how this might be justice, Miss Ch'en.
As long as the two of you stay out of this, I can guarantee you that our men won't do a thing to you. You are strong. Having fought alongside you in the championship, I am well aware of that. Fighting you would cause us a lot of unnecessary losses. I am hoping you and Miss Lin would consider this proposal of mine.
Ernesto.
Please, go ahead.
Not long ago, I found myself caught in a conspiracy far more complicated than this one. The only thing I got out of it was the realization of my own weakness. But, at the very least, I still dare to say this: There is no justice in spreading terror.
Besides, you aren't telling the truth.
I am not sure I follow, Miss Ch'en. I'm admitting to being the mastermind.
No, you aren't. We were locked in your shop. That's pretty suspicious. Effective, but also very rash, and I doubt you didn't consider the possibility that it was going to blow your cover. So I was thinking you might still have a trick up your sleeve. But suppose you are the mastermind behind all this, I don't think any tricks up your sleeve could make up for your cover being blown.
Then I figured it out. If you were never that important to begin with... In other words, if getting your cover blown never mattered to you in the first place... Then it all starts to make sense. Your thinking is that, it would be all the better if you managed to stall us, but even if that didn't work out and you ended up getting your cover blown, all that would lead to is this situation that we find ourselves in now. I would see you as the one behind all this, unable to get a glimpse of what's behind you.
And even now, you're still playing us like a fiddle, aren't you, Ernesto?
If you were truly being played, you'd never say as much, Miss Ch'en.
We don't have enough information. I know this might be a setup, but it is one that I have to jump into.
Yet with what little clues you had, in just one short week, you almost got to the bottom of this plan we've been working on for years. Miss Ch'en, you and Miss Lin never fail to impress. Really, quite a lot of people told me I was blowing this out of all proportion by considering you two my primary enemies. But I'm really glad I did. Otherwise, if I'd been just a little careless and let slip just a little more, you would already have it all figured out.
Too bad. You failed.

Ernesto says and turns on the TV.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 23, 2022

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Why do the terrorists have to be so cute.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Ooh, I love history lessons.

I think you've got this screencap in the wrong spot, given Ernesto says this exact line several lines of text down as well.

Also, Ernesto was absolutely just teasing his sister in the garage, and thinking it's anything else is somewhat odd. Particularly since her profile calls out that she actually is rather spacy outside of combat, so it's not something to tease her about that he's just randomly coming up with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

I think you've got this screencap in the wrong spot, given Ernesto says this exact line several lines of text down as well.

Fixed. It was the wrong image.

quote:

Also, Ernesto was absolutely just teasing his sister in the garage, and thinking it's anything else is somewhat odd. Particularly since her profile calls out that she actually is rather spacy outside of combat, so it's not something to tease her about that he's just randomly coming up with.

Fair enough. Although speaking as a younger sibling, I would be super pissed off if my brother did that to me, so I find it hard to see it lightly.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 23, 2022

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

It's just impossible to imply tone from unvoiced lines so its totally up to interpretation. Different people have different life experiences and won't see things the same way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe I am just the weird person because now that I think about it, I am constantly analyzing everything my brother says for even the mildest hint that I'm stupid. So I guess I'm sensitive to this.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 23, 2022

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Clarste posted:

Maybe I am just the weird person because now that I think about it, I am constantly analyzing everything my brother says for even the mildest hint that I'm stupid. So I guess I'm sensitive to this.

It's a mindset thing. I'm horribly anxious and paranoid so i'm pretty much the same.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I'm the same. No matter how jokey or light-hearted those comments are meant to be, I take them very personally. Paranoia and low self-esteem loving sucks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. Last time Ernesto just told Chen she'd already lost and turned on the TV.

Beach Blockade

quote:

Hoshiguma may be experienced and knowledgeable, but even she admits she's rarely met one who revels as much in chaos and danger as Candela.
Music.

Huh? What's wrong? I can't connect to the program's internal feed. It's... being hijacked?

Music.

I didn't realize until this image that he is the bulldog in the logo for the competition.

Ten years ago, I thought Bolívar would find true peace if we chased the Coalition and the Singas out of the country. I risked my life to fight for True Bolívarians. In the end, three thousand of my brothers fought to their deaths. If it wasn't for my own brother risking his life to save mine, I would've been shot that day. And that was the day when I finally realized. The Coalition, the Singas dynasty's nobles, and True Bolívarians. Not one of them truly wants to save Bolívar. All they are doing is fighting a war. And no matter how long this war lasts, Bolívar will never see salvation.
To escape the turmoil, I made my way to this city. In a hopeless country, I found this hopeless city. And then we have Candela Sanchez, who's the most hopeless of us all. On this hopeless swath of land, she built a city far more corrupt than all Bolívarian cities combined. And not only is she enjoying this herself, she is even dragging all those around her into her cesspit of enjoyment.
All of them think they lead a proper life. They have no idea just how much blood lies underneath them, in the city's sewers and how many scavenging beasts the place is feeding. She is feeding on the flesh and blood of all those who live in these lands, never to care about their lives. This city must die, and all of you who indulge in the pleasures this place has to offer must die with it!
The championship's over. Now, I will take back this city. If no one else will save this country, I will.

----

...So your father is the one behind all this. When you realized we were starting to piece it all together, you chose to divert our attention toward you. That way, even if we actually figured it out, you would get to buy time for the one pulling the strings.
That's right. I'm not going to say I won, Miss Ch'en. This was never a fair fight to begin with. You came too late, and you took on Ms. Candela's mission too hastily. This is the final bit of generosity I have to offer, Miss Ch'en. Surrender, along with Miss Lin. If you give up without a fight, I can guarantee that no one will lay a finger on you. You have nothing to do with this. There is no reason for you to jump into our morally gray mess.
I can't do that.
This ship has been taken over by our men. If you resist, you and Miss Lin will die.
An old friend once told me, I have to take a beating before I can learn, like a young her, that being a stubborn rear end is just a stupid impulse.

That was Hoshiguma in chapter 7, in case you forgot.

And even now, I've got no idea what kind of stubbornness I'm supposed to stick to and what counts as an unrealistic, stupid impulse. But my guess is she probably knows that's not enough to stop me, or my name isn't Ch'en Hui-chieh. Do what you're gonna do. I'm in a hurry.

----

Music.

Hey, isn't that Mr. Pancho? What is he talking about?
I don't know. Is this some kind of special performance?

Boom.

Was that an explosion?! Where was it?!
I think it came from the place where the first round took place! Look, there's smoke in that direction!
Hey, hey, hey! You're kidding! Is old man Pancho serious?!

Lady Candela, there are numerous unknown forces sowing chaos in the city and the surrounding countryside.
Tsk tsk... So that's your move, Pancho?
Lady Candela, please, we need to move you somewhere safe.
Evacuate? Don't be absurd. I have the front row seat here. I'm not going anywhere. Don't worry about the ruffians on the streets; deal with them as you see fit. My guess is that I am their ultimate objective anyway. Oh, don't forget to clear the crowds too. Be sure to close the city's gates first, though. Send everyone home. After that, secure the staff.
However. Make sure they make preparations for the banquet, and definitely make sure the championship's live broadcast goes uninterrupted. Protect them, but don't ruin my championship. Is that understood?
Roger.
Right, and get me some new drones. They probably wrecked all the ones on the ship. We mustn't miss out on all this fun.

Hey, you're kidding. We're here on holiday. How did this happen? Though I guess this is what Bolívar is supposed to feel like.
Enough. Let's figure out what to do with this.
Missy, we're tourists. This is nothing we should poke our heads into.
Would you say that to Ch'en Hui-chieh if she were standing right here?
Of course, but I'm sure you know what she'd say.
Then my answer's the same.

I like this little exchange.

Alright. All I'll say is I'm not against this. Rhodes Island... Ugh, Sideroca's getting drinks. Let me go check on her.
And, besides, the two of them are on the ship too. How am I not supposed to worry?
I'm not all that worried about them. What's more, we are outsiders. It's not like we've got a side here. Though with all this ruckus going on, I very much doubt Ch'en and Lin are oblivious. I don't know what's going on on the ship, and it's not very realistic for us to get on board to help them, so let's stick to the things we know we can do.

----

Tsk, how dare you ambush me while I have drinks in my hands.
(I didn't expect to see something like this happen here. Looks like they are organized. The beach has fallen into chaos. I don't have a weapon on me either, so it's hard for me to do anything. Maybe I should regroup with Hoshiguma first...)
Let's get her.
Alright.

Gah!

Why does Sideroca have so many expressions in her swimsuit costume, just for like the 3 scenes she's in?

Sideroca!

Thunk. Thunk.

Thanks, Hoshiguma!
No need to thank me. That reminds me, you're like the captain of this mission. You heard that just now, didn't you? What will Rhodes Island do about this?
I'm on vacation myself. Just a passerby helping with what she can won't be a problem, right?
Ha, I knew you would say that. Let's go, then.
Oh, right.

Red, where are you?
No idea, Sideroca. Lots of people. Stench of blood.
Yeah, I know. Come to the beach. I need you to protect Eyjafjalla and Sussurro.
Okay.
Hm?
What's up?
There's a group over there. They aren't running...
Are they heading toward... the mayor?!
Come, Sideroca, let's stop them!

Here's our map. The exits are in the lower left, but the enemies have to get all the way to the right to take stairways that'll get them there. I see no reason to let them do that.

Normal enemies will spawn in the middle entrance, while boats will spawn at the left. The boats will do a little lap in the middle for some reason. Anyway, I want Specter down early to block them. And Ptilopsis to heal her/generate more SP.

This is a good place for Rafaela since she can block the top water lane while also helping Beanstalk take out the land lane. ...I guess you could say there are three lanes here, although it's a little odd because enemies can hop in and out of the water wherever they want.

I probably should've put Rafaela down before Ptilopsis though, since one of the grunts made it past Peacake. Specter is holding steady and dealing approximately zero damage to the boat. They have like 1000 DEF, which is a lot.

But even with the grunt that made it through, there's still plenty of time to take care of it. Here, you do it, Bena. You're the cheapest.

Eventually the grunts starts creeping down into the water too, which is bad because Specter can't block anything else while she's busy with the boat. So I put down Chen in front of her. Technically it is bad to put a platform underneath the boat, because the Dockworker will fall out eventually, but I don't care because quick-draw slashes are cool. There, I said it, I'm not ashamed.

But more practically speaking, Eyja is probably a better way to kill boats.

Also we get a new enemy in the top left corner! Caster Speedboats are like casters, but they're on boats! Yay! Or... jetskis? Unlike Dockworker Motorboats, they don't have any different abilities from ordinary casters, this just lets them move freely on water and gives them a 2nd health bar. Also they deal 50% more damage while on a boat for some reason??? Actually, they are pretty annoying and one of the more dangerous enemies in the set, BUT they are also just casters on boats.

The casters take the top lane, meaning this is a job for Rafaela. Things actually start to look dicey when her Corrosion meter pops (from the Tidal Casters shooting her), but:

Always Be Reaping. That said, having used her I would say she has significantly less survivability than Utage. Probably because she doesn't gain attack speed when at low HP. This means she relies a lot more on her S2 to keep herself alive.

Sure, Maggie, you can help too. Why not.

Beach Landing

quote:

Swire worries for the safety of Ch'en and Lin Yühsia, but she fears the trouble they are causing even more.
Music.

*Cough*... Testing, 1, 2, 3. Can you hear me? My dear citizens and friends, as well as our beloved tourists from afar, Candela speaking.

First, please don't be alarmed. I will admit that I did not see Old Pancho's plan coming. I never expected that my trusted subordinate would do something as horrifying as to plot against me to take this city. How terrifying! However, as I said in the beginning, this is no cause for alarm. Rather, I must give Pancho my thanks.
To be honest, I've been wondering for the past two years what we could do to make the championship more exciting, more eye-opening, and more thrilling to all of us. And I've never found a particularly nice way to do this. Yet Pancho's found it. Through his actions, he's putting on an even more exciting championship! Think the championship's over? No, not at all. At that very moment, our championship has reached its true climax! At this point in time, all teams are revived, and betting has reopened. Stop the troublemakers that are sowing chaos in the city to the best of your ability. I know you can. And once everything comes to a successful conclusion, you will be adequately rewarded.

Candela walks up to them.

Oh, you must be the ones. My subordinates told me you helped them foil a plan to assassinate me. Come, sit with me. As your reward, you may sit here in the front row to enjoy this match with me.
Are you... serious?
Of course. I'm always serious. Pancho knows he wouldn't stand much of a chance if he flipped the table right in front of me. And that's why he's holing up in the ship I entrusted to him. And if my guess is correct, he probably added quite a few features to it in secret. Maybe a cannon or two?
But if that was all there was to it, it would hardly be a threat.
That's right. Between the second and third rounds, we invite dignitaries from all factions to board the ship so they may enjoy the competition in person.
Oh, I see. The dignitaries. That's the key here. The city's operations depend on dealing with them.
Right, right, right. It isn't a matter of whether I want to solve this problem of his or not, but whether the bigwigs' underlings want me to solve his problem right away. Tsk, making such a huge ruckus, only by playing dirty. It was probably Ernesto who taught him that. Well, as you can see, there isn't much I can do, and there isn't much that he can do either. In that case, we might as well make things more interesting.
Wouldn't that be provoking him...?
If he actually dragged the brass hats out to slaughter one by one, he wouldn't be doing much with the city even if I handed him the keys.
You don't get it, Missy. He wants to take over the city and take it to war, so he needs the big shots' backing. Otherwise, he wouldn't have the money or manpower to actually go to war. And if I had to guess, some of the big shots on the ship might already have come to an agreement with him.
Oh? Now I'm taking an interest in you young ladies. From the way you are dressed, I suppose you're not from Bolívar?
Haha, we are from Lungmen, and two of our friends happen to be on the ship.
Hm? So you are friends of Ch'en and Lin? They didn't mention you at all.
We didn't tell them we'd be here on a vacation, so that makes sense.
Hahaha, I see. In that case, let me tell you one more thing—I gave Ch'en and Lin this mission, but I also promised Lady Fumizuki that they would not come to harm during their stay here. Do you know what that means?
It means it's not yet time.

You know your stuff, young lady of Higashi. And if something does happen to them, then I'm afraid the old men on the ship will find themselves lost at sea, thanks to Pancho.
Missy, don't be scared.
Come, come. They say that it takes a fight to get to know each other. It just happens there's one unfolding before us. Come, sit down. Let's talk.

----

Music.

You done?
Done. Things don't look good here, though.
Looks like having you deal with Ernesto while I investigate didn't save us enough time.
Right...
Not happy about it?
Not one bit... but not much I can do.
This whole affair isn't all that simple. We knew that ahead of time, no?
I didn't expect things to get so out of hand, though.
You scared?
Of course not. Where are you now?
In one of the cabins. I took a stroll around while you had your chat with Ernesto. The atmosphere wasn't all that tense before Pancho put his plans in motion, though. But right after his speech, the crew and the sailors started to make their move. The whole ship is on high alert now, and they are very well-supplied and well-equipped.
Sounds like you're ready for a seesaw battle?
We aren't completely out of options just yet.
How do you figure?
They locked all the dignitaries in a single room.
Common practice among thugs... Hold on. Let's start with the hostages.
Looks like you figured it out.
It doesn't matter how many weapons they have on the ship, how well supplied they are, and how many men they have to support them on land, Lady Candela has control here. The best outcome he can hope for is a draw. The odds will be against him if it drags out. These hostages are basically his lifeline.
Heh, that's right. These dignitaries are high officials in the three governments. As hostages, they really help keep things in check. It doesn't take very long. All he needs is a brief moment, he just needs Lady Candela to hesitate for a second. Then he'll get to do so much more. He'll have so many more bargaining chips.
But there's only the two of us here. To be honest, I really am not into the idea of playing hero of justice with you.
I'll do it. I'll get their attention and leave the hostages to you.
That could work. There should be a lifeboat on the ship, or we could make them jump into the sea and swim. What happens after that?
What do you mean?
You'll run after everyone's rescued?
If you want to stay on the ship and play the hero, feel free.
I guess that's how it'll go, then. So, should we begin?
Let's do it. Right, don't hang up. Stay in touch with me.

----

Ugh...? Where am I...?

Hermano, are you okay? That Ch'en woman knocked you out.
Oh, right... Now I remember... What's the situation?
Things are proceeding according to plan. A few of the bigwigs have already agreed to help Papa.
Wait, where's Ch'en?
It seems she's been causing a ruckus all over the ship after knocking you out. Papa ordered everyone to find and capture her.
Causing a ruckus... No. Rafaela, check the hostage holding area right away. Ch'en might be creating an opening for Lin. We're in trouble if they manage to save the hostages.
But what about you...?
I'm fine. Now go.
Okay.

She runs off.

He crumples to the ground.

An old friend once told me, I have to take a beating before I can learn, like a young her, that being a stubborn rear end is just a stupid impulse. And even now, I've got no idea what kind of stubbornness I'm supposed to stick to and what counts as an unrealistic, stupid impulse. But my guess is she probably knows that's not enough to stop me, or my name isn't Ch'en Hui-chieh.

Good for you, Miss Ch'en. You know what you are doing and what you must do. But me?

I always struggle with how much I should comment on things before the story's over, but I just want to point out that this whole event is like a mirror to what happened in Lungmen in the main story, and Ernesto and Rafaela play the roles of Chen and Lin from back then. IE: Ernesto starts questioning whether what he's doing is really for the greater good, while Rafaela values loyalty and following orders without thinking about it too much. They aren't, like, carbon-copies of each other, but they're similar enough to serve as foils for each other and highlight the other's character growth. It all comes back to the question Chen posed for Lin earlier: "Why did you help him?"

Ernesto struggles to his feet and stumbles out of the room.

This time we're on a boat, so the water is moving relative to us.

So this is what's going on. No wonder he said we were late. Ch'en Hui-chieh's fighting her fiery battle, so I'll let her do her thing. Pancho's ambushing troops have started catching people aboard, too. Let's help those luckless with their escape first, shall we?

Enemies will prioritize attacking Transport Vessels, and destruction of a Transport Vessel will deduct 2 Life Points.

Basically this works exactly like rescuing civilians in chapter 8. I assume this represents Lin saving the hostages, but for some reason the boats are carrying boxes of cargo, and also they start outside the ship and are coming in. Probably best not to overthink it.

Anyway, the Transports start in range of two enemy spawn points that will create divers to shoot at them. That's bad, but even if I do nothing they'll make it safely to the goal. For the first round anyway.

For various reasons, it's better to build a defense line further forward in this map, so I'll be building my great wall of rubber platforms now.

Rafaela goes here so she can hit this diver while he's standing off to the side. The divers like to stand still and poke at you for a long time in this map.

New enemy type! Unmanned Explosive Boats. Much like the spiders of old, these guys explode when they die. Although they don't do as much damage so it's less game-warping. However, they also deal significant Corrosion damage, so with bad timing they can be quite dangerous. They also slowly deal damage to themselves over time, meaning they are guaranteed to explode, and in fact I don't think it's possible for them to reach the exit alive? That said, they also have a lot more HP than the spiders did.

Oh no, a transport's running right into the exploding boats!

Luckily it's timed to be a cool action movie setpiece and not something you need to deal with. If you think about it, this is actually a Die Hard movie.

Just Chen being Chen.

The wall is complete. The idea being that if we stop all the ranged enemies/bombs here, all the transports will be safe.

And perhaps more importantly: if a boat dies over moving water, the enemy that pops out will die instantly. My guess is that the rule is something like "if you would take any damage from being submerged on this map, you instead die instantly." Because the divers survive just fine. You can also push enemies into the water if pushers are your thing.

Then some other stuff happens. I dunno, it's not very interesting past this point.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 24, 2022

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Specter can hurt the dockworker boats if you're willing to live dangerously and use her skill. With a couple mastery levels she can knock the guy into the water on her own.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It happened again:

With these tag combinations, we can guarantee one of these two:

Mostima. Splash Caster (same archetype as Dusk). A fallen angel working for both Penguin Logistics and the Laterano government. Uses time magic which I'm pretty sure Kal'tsit said was impossible.

Siege. Pioneer Vanguard (same archetype as Texas). Leader of a street gang in Londinium, also secretly the true heir to the throne of Victoria. Possibly a main character like Chen in the next main story arc? Dunno what's up with her face in her E2 art.

Alternatively, we can roll 50-50 on:

Ifrit. Blast Caster (unique archetype, basically she shoots a flamethrower that hits all enemies in a line). A Rhine Lab experimental subject, rescued by Silence. If we don't get her we get Mostima anyway.

Or:

Exusiai. Marksman Sniper (same archetype as Greythroat). An upstanding member of Penguin Logistics alongside Texas. Loves Guns, God, Rock and Roll, and Apple Pie. If we don't get her, we instead get:

Schwarz. Heavyshooter Sniper (same archetype as Aciddrop, deals massive physical damage with limited range). A mercenary from Siesta (the previous beach city). Bodyguard/family for another character from there we haven't met yet.

Vote please. There's still time to use them for the EX stages.

Edit: To clarify, the four options are:
A) Mostima only
B) Siege only
C) Ifrit or Mostima
D) Exusiai or Schwarz

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 24, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ifrit, because she's the most unique of the group

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I really like Schwartz, but you can get a lot of what I like about Schwartz from Ifrit so let's go with her, since it's a sure thing.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I vote Siege because I've had her for like a year and haven't found a single use for her. Maybe you'll teach me something before the game asks me to care about her in the next story chapter :v:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
If I vote with my heart, I'd pick Best Girl Apple Pie Angel. Otherwise Schwartz or Ifrit for actual gameplay use.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HellCopter posted:

I vote Siege because I've had her for like a year and haven't found a single use for her. Maybe you'll teach me something before the game asks me to care about her in the next story chapter :v:

Sorry, but I personally think Siege sucks and have argued with people that think she's good.

Edit: More specifically, she's great if she's your first 6* in your opening pulls, but the better your squad is the less useful she becomes.

Draga posted:

If I vote with my heart, I'd pick Best Girl Apple Pie Angel. Otherwise Schwartz or Ifrit for actual gameplay use.

I will count this as the vote in your heart.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 24, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Octatonic posted:

I really like Schwartz, but you can get a lot of what I like about Schwartz from Ifrit so let's go with her, since it's a sure thing.

Missed this, Ifrit is not a sure thing. Both Schwarz and Ifrit are on 50-50 tags. Shared with Exusiai and Mostima respectively.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 24, 2022

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Exusiai was my very first 6-star right at the beginning of the game and I don't think I fully replaced her in my party until I got Ash. Best Angel was my #1 FrostNova killer.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Let's go for Ifrit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think it is very cowardly not to use both (and Exusiai's even better now that Bard Skadi exists).

John Rando
Nov 29, 2013
Siege was my first 6* and she's basically Saber Lion so I still think she owns, but voting for Ifrit because she's useful and her voice acting is a delight.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Ifrit is the only one i don't have.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Exu

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

go for the ifrit/mostima chance

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Clarste posted:

Missed this, Ifrit is not a sure thing. Both Schwarz and Ifrit are on 50-50 tags. Shared with Mostima and Exusiai respectively.

Ah, misread. Do whatever then.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Go for Ifrit/Mostima (Mastema???)

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Exu/Schwartz is probably the better choice but lets give Ifrit a shot, she carried me through so many stages and I wanna see her shine here too.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Both of the 50/50s seem fun but I'll throw my vote in for Exu/Schwarz

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Full disclosure: if Ifrit wins the vote I will be secretly hoping that we pull Mostima instead when I do the coinflip.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vote Mostima, because she's the best (disclaimer: does not apply to gameplay usage).

HellCopter posted:

Siege was great at launch, and she's perfectly fine in the early game, but she's been powercreeped extremely hard. Additionally, maps outside the early game really don't play towards how she's designed to be used either, so even without the powercreep she'd have fallen off a lot. If you have a generally decent team, it's extremely hard to justify her unless you're running a gimmick Vanguard-only team.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Random technology trivia:
The vehicles employed by the Dockworkers and Tidal Casters are not technically boats, but are instead known as 'Screw Propelled Vehicles' or more commonly 'Amphirols' which are amphibious vehicles mostly used for ground surveying and similar roles. They can go over water, but it would not be a good idea to travel long distances in a small lake, let alone an artificial inland sea, in them.

Also 50/50 Exu split

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. Last time the terrorists took hostages on the boat and Candela told them to bring in more cameras.

Mouse's Courage, Dragon's Might

quote:

Drones continue fluttering about the sky and the show's broadcast doesn't stop. The danger is very real, yet it seems as insignificant as dust. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Dossoles.
Music.

Status?
Going well. I'm almost to the dining room.

They're talking over the phone.

Roger.
?!

Footsteps.

We meet again, Miss Ch'en.
You should have stayed in bed.
I wish I could've done that. I also wish that, when I opened my eyes again, all of this would've been over, win or lose. Too bad. I couldn't.
You can't beat me.
I'm really glad that I identified you two as my greatest foes right at the beginning... We wouldn't have made it this far otherwise.
You... You don't seem like those maniacs out there. Why are you doing this?
Let me tell you how I truly feel, now that it's come to this. Ms. Candela once said that her father, a former mayor of this city, was a useless piece of trash who, propped up by the Leithanien government, could do nothing but take bribes. Before the outraged citizens could kick his office's door in, he fled the country with his wife and daughter. Although her father was a piece of trash through and through, as the daughter of the scumbag, she followed her father first to Kazimierz, then to Victoria. Through her father, she learned all the ways that wealth could be used. She learned the very meaning of wealth. Then, she came back to the city and became its mayor.
At a time when the resistance was nothing but a huge failure, the city found itself producing the finest liquor, coffee, and confectionaries. Dossoles tequila can even be found in Leithania and Columbia. And while the Leithaniens and Columbians were bickering at each other, the city transformed into a vacation hotspot of choice among the elite of both sides. They had no choice but to follow Ms. Candela's rule: You may never fight here. And it's not military might or prowess that makes them willingly follow this rule. It's wealth, entertainment, and all the luxuries this place has to offer. It's the city's colorful facade.
I know that's not how I should see all this. But I can't keep myself from thinking this way—From a certain point of view, and all things considered, perhaps Ms. Candela loves this country far more than my father. All he is doing is blindly chasing this construct of a country. He wants a country called Bolívar. Its borders were defined when it was still a colony. Its citizens are those who have always lived on these lands. What comes next? How will this country take on the Columbians and Leithaniens in this conflict? How will it continue to develop as a country? He doesn't know. He doesn't actually know what kind of a country Bolívar is. But Ms. Candela found a path forward. She found meaning in its existence, and she plans to make that meaning a reality.
That's a load of poo poo.
It's better than having nothing but empty promises, no?
In that case, why help your father?
From the moment I was born, I've watched my father toil away amid the flames of war. I've watched him go from a spirited man to a quiet one. I know what kind of person my father is. He's not like those men who chose to give in to the modern world. Even though working under Ms. Candela put these thoughts in my head, that doesn't mean I will betray my father. But I also cannot deny that these thoughts are getting stronger and stronger. So much that I'm slowly starting to consider the other possibilities there are.
That's why this operation is something like a crossroads for me. I will wholeheartedly help my father in his cause. If he succeeds, then I will continue to help him. If he fails, then I will accept my change of heart and become Ms. Candela's supporter. Of course, if I die—

That just means I'm gonna be dead, haha.
But now is not the time for all of this to end. Not just yet. That's why I can't let you through.
In that case... we've got nothing to say to each other.
Right, it's been a pleasure, Miss Ch'en. If we'd met under any other circumstance, I would have loved to give you and Miss Lin a proper tour of the city.
I'll pass.
I thought you'd say that.

----

Music.

B Team, send a few men my way.

What's up?
You know that team that did really well in the championship, LUNG wRATh? Seems like their girl Ch'en is still putting up a fight.
The whole ship's our people, and all the other contestants are here. How is she putting up a fight?
Apparently she took Ernesto out. Then she's been running up and down the ship, and now the captain's personally going after her. Heh, that's something, and here I brushed it off when Ernesto told us not to underestimate them.
Hm? Speaking of, where's the other girl, Lin? I don't see her among the hostages.
Who knows. Probably jumped off the ship.
You called?
?!

Lin Yühsia leaps down from the ceiling above, swiftly dispatching them with two quick chops.

Music.

Quick! Surround her!
(Hui-chieh makes good distractions. There's not too many of them here. Let's get this over with quickly.)

Surrounded by the guards in the room, Lin Yühsia leans forward slightly and dashes.

Thunk.

She rams her knee into the first guard's stomach, sending him flying into a second guard. The two violently crash into a pillar, incapacitating them and almost knocking the pillar over.

Shink.

The third guard is about to attack with his weapon, but then notices the two streams of blood gushing out of his arm. He screams and falls to his knees, before a single chop turns everything around him black.

Shatter.

The fourth and fifth guards attempt to attack her together, only for Lin Yühsia to kick an entire dining table toward them, tableware included. They crash to the ground before they can react.

Thud.

Correctly deducing the severity of the situation, the sixth man picks up his comms in an attempt to relay the information, only to find it puffing up smoke. The next moment, he finds himself flying through the air; his body draws an elegant arc before falling into the sea.

Lin Yühsia is particularly skilled in close quarters combat, and she takes full advantage of this in the cramped dining room, dispatching the hostage guards in a flash. The hostages, in other words the dignitaries kidnapped by the captain and the contestants who got dragged into the mess, are all trembling in the corner, gawking at her in surprise.

Come with me if you want to live.

Dignitary: How are we supposed to escape?! The whole ship's full of Pancho's men!

You two.

Eeep—
Stop embarrassing yourself. Stand up. Miss Lin, we'll do what you say.
I'll be the point guard. The rest of you, take care of the bigwigs.
Got it.
Now, then...

Footsteps.

drat... am I too late...? Ernesto said you'd be here. Looks like he was right.
(Ernesto... Hui-chieh took him out, but he figured the situation right after he came to? He's a capable man. What a shame. Still, I didn't expect to run into this little girl again.)

Little girl, you shouldn't have thrown yourself into this mess.
My name is Rafaela. I'm not a little girl. I may be adopted, but I'm Papa's daughter, so this is exactly the mess I should be in. Mi hermano called you a good person. Why are you standing in our way?

The entire following conversation takes place with the screen shaking. Presumably while they're grappling in hand-to-hand combat.

Do you think what you're doing is right?
I'm not so sure, but Hermano and Papa said the city's a bad place, and I take their word for it.
You should form your own opinions, little girl. Sometimes, your elders need your help. They have their own experience, and they can be quite insistent on following that experience. When it comes time for you to take over, you can't always do as they did in the past. You need to use your own reason to break away from their old ways. You need to think about what only you can do.

I don't understand.
That's fine, but you should try to remember it. Okay, I still have something else to take care of, so it's time for you to be good and go to bed now, little girl.

----

(Grr, how dare that Lin Yühsia hang up on me. Now I can't reach her. What the hell is she doing?!)

Phone buzzes.

Lin Yühsia, what are you even doing? I heard you rescued the hostages like twenty minutes ago, and now most of their men are coming after you.
I know. I'm not with the hostages right now. My guess is they've gotten out.
What are you...
Trust me. Come to the basement. Together, we'll...

The call cuts off.

?!

Ch'en puts her phone down and turns around in an instant. Pancho and his men are standing not too far away.

I've heard stories of what an impressive man the Chief of Lungmen Wei Yenwu is. You may be no less formidable, but neither of you have a clear head, and he sent you two regardless. Looks like Wei Yenwu is no more impressive than Candela.
You...
You people see nothing but money. There is nothing but leisure on your mind. I can't wait to slaughter all of you. I don't know what Lungmen is like, but ever since I was born, there's been blood gushing out of Bolívar's veins.

Who doesn't want to shake hands and live in happiness? But none of us here can do that. Let me tell you this. It doesn't matter how much blood we spill. This city sucks far more blood in a single day! Alright, I've had enough of your games. Give it up, or this is where you die.
(Why are you doing this? Do you really think this is right, in spite of how much more blood you'll spill? None of those questions matter to him... In his eyes, I'm the one who's disrupting his plans, and besides—)

(I can't argue with him. Not because I regret what I've done. In fact, it's because I do agree with him, now that I understand his motives. Even if I disagree with his methods.)

His rejection of Candela's city reminds her of her rejection of Wei's.

(But I don't understand Bolívar well enough, and I don't understand war well enough. I can't come up with a better solution. That's why I can't argue with him. That's why I can't draw my blade. Chi Xiao definitely won't accept me as I am now. I can tell.)

I find it funny that Chen's response to Ernesto spiel about how maybe the status quo is alright was "that's a load of poo poo" while here she's thinking that the terrorists have a point. Character development!

(In that case, there's only one thing I can do—)

Ch'en slowly lifts her gun.

So you have chosen death.

Likewise, Pancho slowly lifts the anchor in his hands.

Right at that moment—

The comm chirps.

Jump, Hui-chieh.

With no time to think, Ch'en leaps off the deck of the ship.

Motor noises.

Lin Yühsia is waiting underneath with a boat.

Gah, after them!

Boss Video. Boss Music.

Our map. Once again we're on a boat with moving water. Shockingly, there are only 11 enemies including the boss. Basically they just cut out all the filler grunts.

I didn't bring Texas this time, so Chen gets the honor of being my first melee drop.

Followed up by Skadi and Ptilopsis on platforms. In this case, that's necessary mostly because there are hardly any ranged spots and they're all too far away. Also the enemies start off with boat casters so we need some early healing just to survive.

There's a line of undeployable tiles in the middle of the water for some reason... Hmm... Regardless, we will be placing platforms way over to the left this time.

I choose you, Eyjafjalla! Way over to the left, partially covered by the UI. Meanwhile, my melee wall to the right is mostly complete.

Joining Eyja is Bena, who has been in my squad this entire time but will finally get to do something, sort of, arguably. Enemy motorboats start spawning but Eyja is already chipping away at them.

The boss! Pancho Salas has an even bigger boat.

Pancho has... stats? I guess? He's by far the easiest boss we've fought in a long time. Pancho will move up and down for a while at the far left edge of the screen before finally approaching. Despite being a gigantic ship, he can be blocked with a single block, so even ranged units can block him.

His first ability is that he summons turrets over the water (in the positions that we couldn't deploy platforms, naturally). These turrets will periodically straight ahead from left to right, and deal AOE damage in a cross to the first target they hit. No one's in the line of fire for this first turret, so I don't really care. Also, unlike Faust's turret which behaved similarly, these ones can be killed and you probably should.

Not that it matters for us, because Eyja proceeds to murder pretty much the entire map at once with her S3. As you might imagine, this simplifies things a little. Also, in case you missed it with that fast-forwarded gif:

He also has a big water cannon that he channels on the target with highest HP in range. It deals continuous arts damage and also Corrosion. That's what Bena's for: bait. She's really good at it because as long as they can't kill her twice in quick succession she can simply recover after she dies. She'd be really good at baiting bomb drones, for example. Anyway:

When the boat dies, naturally the boss pops out. But it'd be a little too easy if he just fell in the water, so instead he lands on your boat's deck regardless of where his boat died. And like all bosses, he has a few seconds of invincibility as phase 2 starts.

On land, his basic attack is a watery swing of his anchor. Technically this is a ranged attack, in that he will do it when he's not blocked and will target the last person deployed. In this case, Amiya.

He also has a gun, which he will shoot three times in a row at the target with the highest DEF. However, he also lowers the DEF of anyone he hits, and he will recalculate his target between each shot. Here, he shoots Amiya, La Pluma, and Peacake.

He also has an attack where he hits everyone around him for damage and Corrosion. (This one was staged in a separate recording).

But enough of that. It's time for some math. Chen's base ATK at this level is 549. Through various buffs (stickers, Skadi, Amiya, etc) we have increased it to 1090, nearly doubling it. Her S3 hits for 260% of ATK per hit, or 2834. The boss has 750 DEF, so 2084. It hits 10 times, so it deals a total of 20,840 damage. The boss has 27,000 HP. In other words:

Goodbye Pancho. Although I suppose Chen using her sword here is non-canon.

After that, there's still two more boat casters, and to be honest they are actually super annoying because they come in at the exact same time and tend to focus their attacks on the same target, quickly causing Corrosion to pop in addition to their AOE damage. Here I try to separate them using Eunectes while Bena helps out.

And the other arrives in critical condition.

So Amiya easily dunks him.

Music.

Hey, look. That's Ch'en and Lin they're chasing, right?
Impressive. Really impressive.
We should go help—

Boom.

Suddenly, a loud explosion echoes from the ship, not far from the shore.

What did you do?
A little surprise. Remember how I asked you what to do after the hostages are rescued? I did agree with you that I should take everyone with me and leave, but then it came to me I still had that bomb. So I thought I'd give them a little surprise.
Care for a drink?
Interesting time for such a display of aesthetics.
I didn't notice this until I got the boat out here. Figured I'd try my hand at arranging it.

So... she made that little champaign tower while waiting for the bomb to go off?

Sounds lame.
Talking about yourself?
I can't tell for sure whether you did that intentionally or not.
What?
Have you forgotten already? 'When it comes time for you to take over, you can't always do as they did in the past.' The call was still connected when you said that.
So, be straight with me. You didn't do what I think you did, right?

A meaningful pause. Music stops.

We're almost to the shore.

----

You lost, old man.

...You have no idea what you've done, helping Candela.
You've done well, Pancho.
Candela!
Stop. We lost.
Good choice. Come, sit.
What are you trying to do, Candela?
Can't you tell? I'm inviting you to eat with me.

Pancho snorts, but sits down opposite to Candela nonetheless.

Is no one going to comment on the giant crystal growing out of his shoulder? Was he infected the whole time? Did she know? Well, I guess it's progressive if no one cares.

Music.

Most men would be terrified at this point. That's what I like about you, Pancho.
You flatter me. I lost, but not only have you not arrested me, you're asking me out to eat. What are you trying to do? Humiliate me?
I want a chat, Pancho. You used Ernesto to distract me, and you had your underlings plant bombs all over the city during the competition. Finally, right before the third round was to begin, you took all the elites and dignitaries on the ship hostage to keep me from doing anything. I've got to hand it to you, Pancho. This is the closest I've come to losing my city.
Concha tu madre, Candela. My men and I spent days on end to put this plan in motion.

Are they allowed to say that? Fun fact: this game is rated for ages 12+.

Then, it just so happens you invited two outsiders who don't know the slightest thing about this city here, and it just so happens they took on this case for you. And they... They happen to thwart my plans!! Why did you, of all people, win?!
I won? What are you talking about? Dear Pancho, I think you've spent so much time in my city that you've forgotten who I am. Or perhaps you never understood me at all. I was never your opponent, and you didn't lose to me. You merely failed. It's that simple.
You lived in the city you despise the most for decades, complaining about the three governments, yet you accepted the backing of one of them just to overthrow me. Let me guess. It's probably someone from the Leithanien side. Oh, I even have a good idea who it might be. Tell me, Pancho. What was going on in your mind that you turned to those ruthless men for help?

Oh, so you've learned to swallow your pride. In that case, why not wag your tail at me and beg for my mercy? How are you so sure I wouldn't have helped you? I mean it, Pancho. If you had come begging, perhaps I would've given you the manpower and money to fight the wars you so love. And if you then managed to win, this city would have to bow down to you. You couldn't find a more attractive plan if you tried.
I will never bow down to you.
Oh, look at you. You're always so stubborn. Men like you always have unrealistic expectations of the words 'complete' and 'independence'. You dream of an ideology that will bring all of you together. You seek a symbol that will unite all of you under its banner. But the truth is Bolívar has never been independent. It has no history, so where will you find your ideology and symbol? Suppose you succeeded, would the Bolívar you go on to forge really be the Bolívar you've always dreamt of? Somehow I doubt it.

It doesn't matter what you say. All I've ever wanted is an end to the war, for peace to be restored to Bolívar. I lost. I accept defeat, Candela. My undertaking may not be righteous, but, at the very least, I am more righteous than you are!
Oh, pardon. Look at me, I confused you with the men behind you. You are not the kind of man I described. You wish to save this country from the bottom of your heart, and that earned you this seat right now. However, you must be punished for your failure, so I will treat you as their leader nonetheless. Makes things easier that way. I've never thought myself righteous, dear old Pancho. I don't care what the three governments are doing, and I certainly don't care about your Bolívar. You say I'm obsessed with this city, but you're wrong. I don't care about this city. What I care about is the meaning that this city represents.
Meaning? You call wasting your life away on entertainment meaning?
*Sigh*, look at how stubborn you are. You will never understand what money represents. Okay, take this old bastard away. I will talk to him some other time. If you come across anyone trying to resist, you know what to do.
Yes, ma'am.

Wow, I bet not even the Hung-mên Banquet was this intense. Just watching them was enough to give me creeps.
That was about as suffocating to watch as watching my father and grandpa having dinner together.
Agreed.

Music.

Hoshiguma?!
Swire?!
Hey there.
Look at you two. You're drenched. Get a towel and dry yourselves.
What are you doing here?!
Hahaha, it's a long story. We'll talk about it over dinner.
Eh, I'm not sure I'm in the mood for dinner after all this.

Oh, my girls, look at me chattering away with Pancho, leaving my heroes of the day out in the cold. Hey, you over there, get two drones over here right now. Lighting, too.
That was beautiful from the two of you. Simply beautiful. I have to thank Wei Yenwu for introducing me to such fine examples of the younger generation. And you contributed a wonderful, unparalleled ending to this championship.
Championship? Ending?
That's right. If nothing went wrong, I am guessing a lot of people are sitting in front of their TVs, watching us. Although we didn't get footage of everything that transpired inside the ship, I am sure the sight of you taking on Pancho on the deck has left a deep impression. Everyone must be cheering for you two right about now.
You once told me that as long as you're here, no one can threaten this city.
Yes, I did. What of it?
You don't consider everything that just happened a threat?
Hahaha, my little Ch'en, you are still far too young. What constitutes a threat? Is it the city getting leveled? Is it seeing its entire population massacred? No, those are hardly threats, Ch'en.

Hmm...

The real threat is the city's people losing their desires, never to seek enjoyment again. But you've been a policewoman for a great number of years. Do you think that's possible?
Oh, the look on your face tells me what you think. You see. You know it yourself. The answer is that it's not possible. And as long as that remains the answer, this city will continue to exist. And if Dossoles falls, Tressoles will rise in its place. However many cities you need, I can build.
Nonetheless, that doesn't erase the fact that you two are heroes to this city. Oh, look at me. How forgetful I am. Is the party ready yet?
For the most part.
Now where's my mic... Oh, there we are.

Music.

Ahem, my dear citizens and tourists. Whether you are sitting in front of a TV or watching from the beach... It gives me great pleasure to announce to you the final victors of this year's Dossoles Warrior Champion, as well as the heroes that saved our city. Our heroines from Lungmen—Ch'en Hui-chieh and Lin Yühsia! Let us also thank Pancho for taking it upon himself to give us such a grand performance! Now, we'll be throwing a party on the beach. Everyone is welcome!

Cheering.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I love Candela. The fucks she gives are measured in negative numbers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Welcome back. Last time we blew up a boat and drank champagne.

The Usual Lapping Waves

quote:

A bout of danger dismissed as a farce has passed, yet nothing has changed.
Music.

Phew...

Manager: Hey, D.D.D. You're finally awake.

Waking up after catching some Z's is pretty normal, no?

Manager: You crashed straight into bed the moment you got back last night, though. That really had me worrying.

How are things looking outside?

Manager: If you're asking about the city, it's just like before. Bustling. I heard a lot of people talking about what happened yesterday while I was having breakfast. Didn't seem like they care much, though.

Well, things already got pretty watered down. Mayor Candela's amazing. With all that went down, nobody could've seen that coming.

Manager: I was really shocked when I saw it on TV too. I've never seen anyone calm things down like that. And quite a few people actually went and fought the terrorists.

I was right there. It just felt so bizarre. Some of the terrorists were going straight after Ms. Candela, and they were really close. But she didn't even seem to care about that. All she cared about was getting the drones to the ship so she could get a good look at the action there. She was just standing, pointing at the screen and the sea while talking to the other spectators around her. It was like nothing that was happening was real. Then, those two girls showed up. It was like them being there dragged everything back to reality.
It was so... so exciting!

Manager: So you want to create something.

Ahaha, you know me well.

Manager: How long have we known each other?

Yeah, that's right. I wanna create. I want to write a song that to document the fear, gratefulness, confusion that I feel right here right now. This is a song I'm writing for myself, but it's got to do with them.

On its own, this city is a decent place. Leithania's musicals, Columbia's movies, and Bolívar's coffee. I've got to experience everything I wanted to try. But the people here are so boring. I got tired of playing with them about halfway through the competition. If I'd known this is how it would turn out in the end, I would've boarded the ship with Miss Ch'en after I made sure she was alright. I probably could've helped her that way.
Oh well, I'm starting to be sick of this city. Maybe I'll check out wherever Miss Ch'en's going. I bet there are just as many nice people like her where she comes from.

And that's how he sent a resume to Rhodes Island.

----

That's way too reckless of you, Swire.
Uh-huh, yeah yeah yeah, okay, yeah. Fine, I got it. Why do I have to sit here and listen to you reprimand me again?
I left the L.G.D. in your hands, and you...
Oh, I know what I'm doing. Besides, what about you? I thought you jumped ship to Rhodes Island to be an operator there, but here you are on a holiday!
I'm... Fine, you're right.
Hmph.

Come on, keep going. Why did you stop? I don't even remember the last time you two had an argument.
We had one last time I went to Rhodes Island.
Eh, anyway, we're all here, and we got everything wrapped up. We should put all the unpleasant things behind us and have some fun instead. Right, Ch'en?
*Sigh*... right.
What's wrong? Are you still thinking about yesterday?
Yeah. I might've received the one honor that I don't ever want to receive in my entire life.
Haha, true. To be honest with you, even I thought that was pretty nasty. But it happened nonetheless. Ch'en, there's not a whole lot in the world that goes exactly as you want but can still be called an absolute win for all parties concerned.
I know.
Okay, enough. If we're just gonna sit here and talk, we might as well go get some shopping done and stuff our faces with food to cheer ourselves up. Let's go. I'm paying for lunch. Now where's that stupid rat?
I think I saw her heading out early in the morning. Not sure where, though.
I have an inkling where she might be. I'll go find her.
Let me know when you do. Hmph, she's been hiding from me since last night. She's dead as soon as I find her, I'm telling you.

I'm leaving you in charge of the place once I'm gone. You remember everything I taught you, right?
Of course. You can rest assured it's in good hands.

What are you two chatting about?
Oh, Miss Ch'en. The boss is lecturing us right now.
Don't tell her that. She might arrest you.
I'm not a cop anymore.
I've never seen such a busybody of a tourist.
Hmph.
Leave us.
Of course.

He leaves.

Do you need something? I doubt you looked everywhere just to have a drink with me.
What if I tell you that's what I'm doing?

Then... let's have a drink.
I know the President of the Lungmen Young Entrepreneurs' Association to be a decisive, resolute person, strict on both herself and others. And now I've finally seen her decisiveness for myself.

I like her title.

And the L.G.D. Special Inspection Unit Chief I know is an impartial person who shows criminals absolutely no mercy. I finally had the pleasure to meet her.
Did Wei Yenwu send you here?
Lady Fumizuki sent me here as his representative. At first, I didn't understand why, but I figured it out when I saw you.
You aren't mad?
Not at all. This is an opportunity for me. The Rat King's daughter won't necessarily become the Rat King. But that also means she could be.
So that's why you helped him?
I won't answer that, Hui-chieh.
Why not?
Because I'm not like you.
You want to say I abandoned Lungmen.
The thought did cross my mind at first, but not anymore. This is a simple declarative sentence. I am not like you.

That kind of grates on my ears.
That's your problem.
Hoh.

Phone buzzes.

Hey, did you find that stinking rat yet?
She's right here.
Where are you?
In a bar on Coastal Highway 26.
The 26? Perfect. I see a decent place there. I'll send you the address. You two head on over and get us a table. And drag that ngong gau lou syu there if you have to. Don't let her get away.
You heard her.
*Sigh*... Will that woman ever be less of a pain?
Shall we go?

Let's go.

----

Music.

Ernesto appears on screen briefly, but he doesn't say anything.

That's quite a lot of people on the beach.
The ship's one of the city's symbols. Now that it's sunk, people here are bound to be curious.
The cruise ship, huh?
It doesn't matter what you think about it. We are the ones who blew it up. That's the truth. We should be thankful that Lady Candela wrote it off in exchange for our prize money.
To be precise, you blew it up.
You had a better idea?
No.
Hmm? Who's that over there...?

Ernesto?
Miss Ch'en, Miss Lin.
What are you doing here?
Ms. Candela spared everyone except my father. Most of us are being exiled. She's only letting me stay because of my service in the past few years. Of course, I'm most definitely losing my job.
You're thinking of staying?
No, I'm planning to leave. Rafaela and I are trying to figure out where to go. I spent the whole night thinking and still don't have anything. That's why I'm sitting here, gazing out at the sea to see if it gives me any ideas.

Rafaela is the little girl?
That's right. She's the daughter of my father's old war friend, tío Pugh. He died rescuing my father from prison and entrusted her to him before he died.
Have you two given killing me here on the spot any thought?
I don't have the right to pass judgment on you, yet.
Had you succeeded, I'd kill you the moment we saw each other again. As for right now... I'll pass.
Haha, it's just like you two to say stuff like that. Miss Ch'en, Miss Lin, I suppose, in Yan, they'd call me an unfilial son?
Yes.
We could also say you betrayed your father in the name of righteousness, but you aren't quite there yet.

Hahaha, you're right. There wasn't anything righteous about what I did. The thought of betraying my father never crossed my mind during this operation, though. Do you remember what I told you on the ship, Miss Ch'en? That wasn't a lie. I'm not sure if this has crossed your mind during your time here. I know very well what this city was built on top of. However, whenever I look at the skyscrapers and the blue sky up above, I can't help but feel that there is some sort of legitimacy to it. I can't think of it any other way.

I feel like this is an interesting thought, but I also don't have much to say about it. The appearance of legitimacy legitimizes the suffering that legitimacy is built on.

But you choose to leave now.
To tell the truth, if it wasn't for you two, I think I would willingly stay here and work under her. But your words left me bewildered. You two are foreigners. Perhaps, elsewhere, things could have been different.

Phew... It feels much better now that I got that off my chest. Thank you for not bludgeoning me to death the moment you saw me, much less listening to me talk about all this.
It's all a matter of perspective.

"From a certain perspective, I DID bludgeon you to death."

Well, I'm done bothering you. I will likely be around for a little longer. Please don't hesitate to come to me if you need me for anything.
Alright.

He leaves.

I can't help him...
Neither can... What do you mean?
I just think it's a pity to leave him wallowing in misery like that.
I'll think about it...

IE: Unlike Lin, Chen CAN help him. But she'll think about it.

Hey, Ch'en.

Hello.
We were just leaving the city hall, and Ms. Swire here invited us to lunch with you.
I see. How did your talks with the mayor go?
Thanks to you, we've played a role in this little incident. The mayor didn't think twice before she agreed.
It's just like her to do that.
Finally caught you, you stupid rat!
I wasn't running away. Perhaps you've got a few screws loose, Beatrix.
You're the one who's got loose screws!
Most girls aren't so jealous of their friends going on a holiday that they follow them there in secret.
I'm built different!

Lol.

*Sigh*...
Right, Missy said we'll be going shopping in the afternoon. Grabbing souvenirs, too, while we're at it. Ch'en, Miss Lin, how about it?
Sure.
The stupid rat has to come.

Fine, I don't have much else to do.
Let's go get lunch, then.

Hm? Hey, you four, come. Pose for me.
What's the matter?
It just occurred to me this could make a really great picture. I'll snap one for you. Something like a memento of your holiday.
Sounds lovely. Hey, ugly rat, it's time for a picture. Get in.
*Sigh*... Whatever.
Haha, it's not often that the four of us get to spend time together. How about it, Ch'en?
Sure.
Alright. 3, 2, 1, cheese—!

Camera flash. Fade to white.

----

Music.

Dossoles's handground coffee is known for its unique aroma, and the finest of the finest has a particularly rich fragrance. Even before you take a sip of the coffee, you are blessed with its aroma, and while your first sip may seem bitter, you will be greeted with its true, fine flavor soon thereafter. It is tart, but not overly so. It is fragrant, but it does not overwhelm. Above all, it leaves a rich aftertaste. Even the most demanding critics find no faults in its many qualities. Some Leithanien nobles even compete against each other in the procurement of Dossoles's finest coffee, and whoever that has the most has the definitive standing in their social circles.

A small cup of this rare coffee is now in the Chief of Lungmen Wei Yenwu's hand, its aroma wafting in the air.

Are you reading Yühsia's report on her trip to Dossoles?
Yes, I am. It's been a while since I last saw Candela. It sounds like she hasn't changed. A crazed woman, as always.
You dare say you're not like her?
Of course I'm not like her.
From what the Messengers I sent there told me, Yühsia and our little Ch'en did really well. I am not quite sure why the young lady of the Schwire family and Hoshiguma were there, however.
They did a wonderful job, indeed. But my guess is they weren't very happy about it themselves.

Why not?
You said Candela wouldn't dare to hurt them. I agree. But they are still too young to know how to endure her generosity. That woman doesn't see right and wrong. Results are the only thing that matters.
So you're beating around the bush, trying to tell me I should never have sent the two of them there?
No, quite the opposite. You're right. There was no harm done in letting them see the sights there.
My, it's not often you say something so nice. In that case, let me show you something nice as well.
What is it?
It's a photo that Yühsia brought back.

Look, isn't it wonderful? All of them are so young, so full of energy. That used to be us. Do you remember?
Of course I remember.
I'll sleep better knowing Ch'en is doing well. I'll frame this picture and cherish it forever.
As long as you're happy.
Yenwu.
Hm?
Is our little Ch'en going to come back?

A pause.

Yes.
I'm glad.

The End.

Oh hey there Ernesto. Looks like Chen ended up recommending you and your sister for Rhodes Island!

And that was Dossoles Holiday! A story that wanted to be both a silly action movie and also an epilogue for the Lungmen characters of the main story. I'd have to say it succeeds more in the former than the latter, mostly because it wants to talk about specific plot points from chapters 6 and 7, but can't do so directly because those chapters are not required to unlock the seasonal event. In that sense, this particular mobile game narrative structure of constantly introducing new events was poorly suited for this sort of story. Also for some reason Rafaela just disappears after her scene with Lin on the boat, and doesn't get her own epilogue except a passing mention that Ernesto's going to take him with her to RI (implied).

That said, I do like all the characters here, including the new ones, and the story is pretty basic but serves nicely as a mirror to the events in Lungmen, thus forcing Chen to reflect on what she's done and what she'll do going forward. Just like in Lungmen, she was torn between loyalty to an unjust public order, and the possibility that abandoning it to aim for something better could make things even worse. And Lin worked as a nice foil for her, even though they basically never interacted before other than one phone call. I like the way their arc resolves as "we can be better than our parents." And they're just a fun duo in general.

Also, and this isn't quite about the story, but I came into the event thinking that it was very dumb that Chen got an alt that wasn't her cool biker outfit showing that she wasn't a cop anymore, but just a dumb swimsuit costume. But after reading through the event, I've warmed up to it since it sort of represents her commitment to no longer drawing her sword when she's still unsure of her own justice. So this is her transitional phase, finding her purpose while shooting people with a super soaker. Speaking of which, here's her theme song. Also I love her cap and jacket, too bad she loses them in her E2 art.

Anyway, we've got some extra space here so I might as well introduce some new operators:

Tequila is a 5* Liberator Guard, a brand new archetype. Basically they are guards who can't attack or block when they're not using a skill, but gradually increase their ATK between skill usages, up to +200% after 40 seconds. So they're very strong, but only for short bursts. He's basically a budget Silverash, which is nice for an event freebie.

Ernesto is a Perro (dog) from Bolívar. You know who he is. I will say that Tequila is a pretty interesting choice of codename for himself, given what it represents to Dossoles and Bolívar and his own family.

Talent (Waiting Game): When Tequila is attacked while not using a skill, he deals 20% of his ATK to his attacker as arts damage. This is nice, although since he can't block it only works against ranged attackers. And isn't especially strong.

S1 (Decisive Action): Increases his ATK and ASPD. Cool.

S2 (Esoteric Bladework): Expands his attack range to just a little smaller than a ranged guard, triples his ATK, and each attack hits up to 2 targets. Can be overcharged (wait to collect double the SP) to hit 3 targets and double the duration. Can be deactivated early to start charging up again sooner. This is probably the skill you would use on him 90% of the time. Like I said, it's a budget version of Silverash's Truesilver Slash, but considering how useful that is, it's pretty good. Probably.

We rolled the dice for Ifrit, and got Mostima instead. I'm sorry for changing the outcome with my latent psychic powers. She's my favorite character though. Mostima is a 6* Splash Caster (same as Dusk), which means she has all the usual weaknesses of that archetype. High cost, short range, small AOE, and damage that doesn't quite justify all the other limitations. That said, one of her skills is, in my opinion, good enough to make her worth using even if you assume that she does literally zero damage the rest of the time. Although she's still overcosted.

Mostima (Mastema?) is a Sankta (fallen angel) from Laterano (gun Vatican). She's an old friend of Exusiai's older sister, and together they have a lot of stories about the mischief they used to get up to in high school. But one day she was sent off to war along with Exusiai's sister, and she was the only one who came back. As a fallen angel. While she will never, ever talk about what happened (even ignoring the fact that it's a classified military secret), it's well known that Sankta fall when they point their gun at their own kind. She then left Laterano and started working for Penguin Logistics as a long-distance transporter, spending most of her time on the road between mobile cities, absolutely alone in the wilderness for months at a time. Just the way she likes it. She also seems to work as a secret agent for Laterano, using her travels as an excuse for other sorts of field work. Despite her surface-level friendliness, she's refuses to let anyone get close to her and has no desire for companionship or love. She's abandoned her government-issued gun (a musket) in favor of dual-wielding staves, which is Rad.

Talent 1 (Skill Aura - Caster): When deployed, all casters gain SP 40% faster. This is actually pretty cool if you have a caster-heavy team (and we have Dusk, Eyja, and potentially Amiya), although less cool if you have Ptilopsis since it doesn't stack. Her 40% is still a little better than Ptilopsis's 30%, at least.

Talent 2 (Subjective Time Dilation): All enemies within her attack range have their movement speed reduced by 15%. To be honest I find it hard to even tell that this is happening, visually, but I guess theoretically it gives you ~17% more time to pelt them with ranged attacks.

S1 (ATK Up γ): ATK up. But gamma.

S2 (Lock of Shattered Time): Stuns (time stops) all enemies in range for 6 seconds and deal slightly boosted ATK damage to them every second. Actually, that's a little misleading: what it actually does is re-apply a 1 second stun every second, meaning it traps enemies who enter it after it starts. This is her good skill, in my opinion. An on-demand AOE stun that also deals significant damage since it more or less triples her ASPD and Splash Casters have relatively high base ATK. It also has a fairly short cooldown, when you take into account her talent, so you can usually have it available for every single big enemy wave. And even without the AOE, a 6 second stun makes it a good bosskiller too; you can get a lot done in 6 seconds of complete freedom. However, some later bosses are immune to stun.

S3 (Key of Chronology): The Lock and the Key. Her attack range expands greatly (a little bigger than Eyja's volcano, except she doesn't shoot backwards) and all her attacks become ripples that hit everything in her range for slightly boosted damage and knock enemies back slightly. It also triples the effect of her slowing aura to 45%, which is pretty huge for a 100% uptime AOE slow. That said, it has a very long cooldown, doesn't increase her dps very much, and the knockback is very small and won't work on anything you care about anyway. I don't want to call the skill WEAK exactly, but it's extremely situational and definitely not a "kill everything" button like Silverash or Eyja.

Bagpipe is a 6* Charger Vanguard, same archetype as Vigna. IE: A single block vanguard with high stats that generates DP per kill and can retreat for a full refund. We bought her from the shop. She's pretty cool. She has a theme song too.

Bagpipe is a Vouivre (wyvern) from Victoria (cat UK). She's an old friend of Chen's from the Victorian Royal Guard Academy, and after graduation she became an officer in the Victorian Army. In her Japanese dub, she speaks in a rural, northern dialect—not to mention her name—which I can only assume means she has a thick Scottish accent (the translators did not even attempt this). She's basically a peasant farmer from the sticks who managed to do well at the officer's academy. As a professional soldier, she's trained to lead as part an army, which gives her a very different perspective from the small-squad tactics used by Rhodes Island and its mercenaries. That said, something happened that caused her to leave the army, and she joined RI after Chen recommended it to her. She had the same negative feelings about the Infected as most people prior to arriving, but has managed to adjust quickly after working with them. In contrast to her professionalism in combat, she has a laid-back personal life and was voted #1 easiest person to get along with in Rhodes Island (tied with Grani).

Talent 1 (Precise Reloading): Bagpipe has a 25% chance to increase her ATK to 130% and hit 2 targets when attacking. Never hurts, but it's hard to rely on random chance.

Talent 2 (Martial Tradition): When Bagpipe is on the squad, all Vanguards start with 6 addition SP. Note that she doesn't have to be deployed, just on the squad. This allows other Vanguards to use their skills 6 seconds earlier, which at the very least accelerates your gameplan by 6 seconds for the entire rest of the map. And an additional 6 seconds for every extra Vanguard you're using. This can let you field high cost operators way before you're expected to. And you don't even have to deploy her.

S1 (Swift Strike γ): Increases her ATK and ASPD. Yawn.

S2 (High-Impact Assault): Short cooldown, auto-activated, can store up charges. Triples her ATK for the next hit, and also hits twice. Considering it can store up charges, this basically means anything that gets close to her immediately dies, unless it's in a huge wave. Which also reliably gets you DP, and she can even proc her multi-target passive. I believe this is her bread-and-butter skill for general use, but I've never actually used her before.

S3 (Locked Breech Burst): Slows her ASPD, increases block value to 2, doubles her ATK and DEF, and each attack hits three times. Big damage. This is what you use if you want to kill heavies or bosses, which she can totally do. It's a little trickier to use though since you can't just drop her in the middle of the action, she has to charge it up for a while.

Next time: Dossoles extra stages!

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 27, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've yet to get around to e2ing her myself buy Chalter has 2 operator records (no attached paradox sim) that apparently goes into more of her reasoning about picking up the gun. I didn't prefarm materials for her so it'll have to wait until the event is done for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Too bad we voted against her and I don't have enough money to level up another 6*.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

I love Candela. The fucks she gives are measured in negative numbers.

I choose to believe that Candela is actually a Bond Villain and this entire series of events is just to change out the coolant water for her giant superweapon that's undergoing construction under the city.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Candela might be my favourite character in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6d44aGT2p1rpaoc3.mp4