Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I want to do an LP of it because I think it's got a cool story and aesthetic, but the fact that it's a gacha game turns away a lot of people who'd otherwise be interested in it, in my opinion.
This is just one anecdote, but that's certainly true of me, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Fun fact, Rim Billiton is fantasy Australia, due to its references to BHP Billiton.
Oh, of course. They're just "BHP" to me, but I knew that name rang a bell.

With everything else going on here, that makes me wonder if we'll be getting into Eureka Stockade territory at some point, then.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I guess it must be one of those things that makes less sense in hindsight. Just based on what I've seen from the LP so far, I don't really see the problem. Even if Reunion ultimately prove to be sympathetic and the authorities don't, none of that's been explored yet, and I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that violent insurrection is not inherently righteous.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

These guys have roughly 1 tile range, so it's pretty small, but later enemies will have bigger squares. It's also important to remember that they count the tiles diagonally too, which gives them slightly longer range than otherwise.
I pity the benighted game designer who hasn't heard the good news about hexagons.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You know, I thought something felt off. That's probably it. I just put it down to the lack of audio in an LP.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well this is my first clue that Reunion are supposed to be sympathetic: because they get all the coolest character designs.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I like this a lot. It's a shame you wouldn't normally see this conversation right now, immediately after chapter 1, if I understand correctly. It does a lot to develop everything we've just seen. Though I don't mind "war crimes and Mephisto" as an introduction in the first place. You're right that Reunion make a terrible first impression because of it, but if anything, I think that makes it more interesting. After all, isn't that the point? If you're someone like Patriot here, you know Reunion isn't a monolith and the worst parts of the organisation don't represent everyone in it. But you also know the rest of the world isn't going to care, because they just saw your men slaughtering civilians, and why on Earth would they listen to your side of the story after that?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Despite all the EU4 I've played, I somehow didn't make the Knights Hospitaller connection before. I was just thinking "Colossus", and I wasn't sure how that could play into it at all.

Oh well. I was only off by about 2000 years.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Night10194 posted:

i was wondering if Amiya was betraying her employers all update except no, she thinks the cops really will protect Misha, huh.

Not too bright, huh.
I won't be fooled by her innocent facade. We both know this is all about business.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
And she's just three days from retirement, too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

Our next chapter is Stinging Shock, taking place in an Unnamed Desert outside of Great Lungmen. Is it just me, or would Greater Lungmen sound better?
I think so too, but the conventional translation of the official names of the later Chinese dynasties uses "Great", so maybe they're riffing on that. Seems weirdly archaic in this context, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
As a native non-rhotic-accent-haver, I'll pronounce it that way no matter how you spell it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'll be gravely disappointed if this LP ends without Amiya living up to her heritage and getting in some proper Australian swearing. This last update seems like it would have been the time for it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

It's sort of implied that the Doctor is the one commanding all the actual battles, and that letting an enemy through means they get to attack the Doctor in the back lines (which is why you lose), but also like half the battles in this game do not take place where the Doctor can see them. And also half the cutscenes. It's kind of funny actually.

Edit: There's even at least one scene where you choose the dialog for an entirely different character.
We still have no idea why Amiya thinks the Doctor is so important, so it must be for their power of astral projection, clearly.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gideon020 posted:

Sadly, it is implied that Amiya has lived her childhood in the wartorn Balkans-analogue hellscape that is Kazdel, and being a ward of Kal'tsit clearly means no such shenanigans were ever allowed.
That explains why she's having so much trouble getting through to Misha. She hasn't been taught the ancient spell that's handed down to all Australian children, capable of stopping anyone who's behaving inappropriately in their tracks. If only she knew to try it, she could effect an immediate and complete deradicalisation just by looking her clear in the eyes and incanting: "What do ya think it is, Bush Week?"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I note your struggle to avoid using any third-person pronouns for Skullshatterer in that that boss fight, and I sympathise.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

Along with her class change, Kroos has also been upgraded to Australian. By which I mean she calls people "mate" sometimes.

So close, yet so far. This isn't idiomatic Australian at all!

quote:

No problemo No worries. You're the captain this time, Lava, mate. What you say goes.

Alrighty Righto. Cap'n, you decided?

Maybe she's living in the mountains... after all, she's the sister of Nian. I get the feeling I reckon she might.

Could just... toss chuck it, you know?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I think you were right that Ancient Forge didn't fit that well this early in the LP, but I like this a lot more.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Good use of "poor bastard". Correct spelling of "mum". I'll give them a passing grade this time.

Bonus points for switching between that and Zhuangzi-esque allegory in such quick succession. I like it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Even without all that much setup, I was still surprised to stray this far from the science fiction end of the spectrum, personally.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Man, this is really good.

Kind of makes me want to watch Re:creators again.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Personally, I'd like the Doctor a lot more if they were a cute anime girl. That's true of most characters, though. In this game, and in life in general.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Bloody postmodernists...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

Last but not least is FrostNova. The grumpy bunny. I want to say her name is kind of dumb since it's a spell from Diablo 2, but apparently in Chinese it's "freezing star", which I guess is cool enough.

They also made the fatal mistake of naming a character I'm supposed to take seriously in CamelCase.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Chuu posted:

Being in the US it's hard to hear 'Texas' without all the cultural baggage that comes with it, and I've wondered if for their operator names Hypergryph just went 'let's find two wolves that were hunted to extinction in relatively modern times to parallel their in-game story' being somewhat unaware of all the connotations.
It made me assume she was a cowboy.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Though on reflection, I should have known better, because in this universe apparently only Catholics use guns.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's the trouble with putting a replay feature in a real-time game, right? It can take subtle effects based on frame timing, which nobody would ever notice under normal circumstances, and make them very obvious.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This is gonna sound crazy, but hear me out. What if we could make a gun that didn't need Arts to fire? We could cap the cartridge with some kind of impact-sensitive compound, which would explode and ignite the powder when struck by some suitably hard metal piece inside the gun. The user could then safely actuate this assembly by means of something like the trigger on a crossbow.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

That sort of talk is a good way to get yourself assassinated by Laterano.

But with a weapon to rival Arts in the hands of every common soldier, the nations of the world would no longer have any reason to fear the Infected! Discrimination would end overnight!

What could possibly go wrong?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
These new character designs are way too outlandish for me. I've got no problem with cat-people, or bear-people, or dragon-people. But ape-people? That's just silly.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

I think there are a couple of male characters showing up later in the plot but don't think there's any playable ones.

Well yeah. Then they'd have to change the name to "Unisex Frontline".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

Tachanka is a Russian (Russian) from Russia (Russia). He refuses to elaborate on his past, although it's clear that he's had training from a professional army of some sort. It is impossible with current science to replicate the arts-less ammunition his machine gun was originally designed for, although the engineers at Rhodes Island have managed to come up with a custom-made alternative to gunpowder with a third the range and much less stopping power. Arguably it's not worth the trouble compared to using a crossbow, but he continues to lug it around. He has a hearty sense of humor and shows unusual interest in the country of Ursus.

In the real world, gunpowder was discovered by alchemists in their search for medicine, and here it's a pharmaceutical company. Just as they say: history doesn't repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

The best place to live that we've seen in-game are probably the rainforests of Sargon.

Have you seen the size of those spiders? I'll take my chances with the megacorps!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
"Hannya", as in "prajna"? She named her weapon Prajna?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, right.

That's not as funny.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

You call that a uniform?!
If the ancient Greeks went to battle in miniskirts, there's no reason the LGD can't outfit their officers with tactical hotpants.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This variable-size text in the dialogue options is killing me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I mean, as a translator it is super convenient not to have to worry about text length all the time. I respect it.

But I'd rather they just remove dialog options.
That seems like a reasonable compromise.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I would say that the game is philosophically opposed to the Chinese government but gets around it by not showing Yen directly. And also trashing Russia and the USA at every opportunity.
"Point at the mulberry tree but curse the locust tree"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Ah, Superintendent Ch'en, welcome! I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable luncheon!