Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

One thing to note is that some of the categories seem to often be flat out lies (or more likely various Arknights staff not talking to each other to nail down consistency) too. Like, here's a young university student with 14 years of combat experience (Waai Fu). Meanwhile, noted long-time member of the LGD - who going by her profile also had plenty of combat experience beforehand - Hoshiguma? 7 years. The two Originium measurements seem to vary wildly as to what's dangerous too, depending on what operator you're looking at.

Ages not being listed is pretty reasonable, since there's pretty casual evidence all over the story that various races have wildly different rates of maturation and maximum age, and trying to work out what would be "normal" ages for their appearance/personality is something the game doesn't really need. That various profiles and side stories also seem to oscillate wildly, even with operators of the same race, between just how notable a person is vs. their presented age group is another reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Ya know, that genuine manner with the teary voice reminds me of a certain someone who gets a chunk knocked out of her wages every couple of days.

I don't know who she's talking about. Any guesses from the thread?

I would guess Cardigan, given her entire last Trust file deals with her causing damage and having her wages docked. At the very least, none of Reserve Team 1 seems to fit.

quote:

A list of broken items.
Sofa back leather 14 square centimeters. Cause of damage: Weapon wasn't unequipped and its edge cut everything up.
Medic Operator Ansel's office chair legs. Cause of damage: Got over-excited and lost balance. Chair legs bent as a result.
A 90*120cm tactics book. Cause of damage: Over-excitement resulted in book getting broken with a hammer.
Signature of person responsible: Cardigan. Signature of team leader: Melantha.
Outcome: After finance personnel calculate damage, they inform the responsible party that payment will be deducted from their salary in 12 equal installments for compensation. Responsible party has been handed over to team leader for Op Reserve Team discipline and re-education.

I want to say she breaks an oven in a recent operator side story too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Texas is supposedly named after the extinct Texas Wolf (because her family is dead). Don't know about Lappland though.

Lappland's based on another extinct species of wolf, specifically the Newfoundland Wolf. Which actually sets them apart from the rest of the cast, since I can't offhand think of any other Operators that reference extinct animals.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So yeah, I’ve been putting this off until this point on dead Infected was mentioned, but now that it has I think It’s about time to address the likely causes behind Infected discrimination. So, as has been talked about previously, Oripathy has been compared to basically magic cancer… but that’s not quite correct. There’s elements there, but comparatively it’s much more magical Hansen’s Disease – aka Leprosy. Especially when you start correlating the actual RL treatment of people with that infection.

Looking at the history of leprosy, you’ll notice a lot of similarities – fear by the common folk that even slight contact with victims is contagious(when it’s actually a lot harder than that), banishing the infected away in leper colonies away from uninfected folk for related reasons, and just general discrimination. All those points are still present in Arknights, but it adds a couple truly scary points on top of the just generalized superstitious fear.

Oripathy has three elements that have likely led to the current state of discrimination, and given the general mess of the world of Arknights (hereafter Terra), fixing it would be a huge task.
1. As mentioned, just the general extremely visible symptoms, suffering it causes, being an incurable death sentence (yes, I know leprosy is curable these days) and at least theoretically being transmittable via contact. All of which are ripe for causing fear and discrimination.
2. Ability to use Originium Arts without a tool, along with occasionally causing mental issues if it affects the brain. This isn’t terribly applicable for most Infected, but it’s a potentially big, flashy one that’s publicly associated with Oripathy when it does. Or more specifically, while Oripathy doesn’t necessarily boost Arts capabilities for individuals who specialize in arts, the ability to now innately use arts is effectively the equivalent of strapping a gun with no safety to someone’s hand, and then occasionally causing mental issues on top of it. For example, get an Infected fire Arts caster who then suffers from delirium would just be a recipe for problems.
3. Infected crystallize upon death and then violently break apart into an Originium dust cloud. A HIGHLY INFECTIOUS dust cloud. Within seconds/minutes as happened here is highly unusual, but the normal timeframe is just hours/days. You basically have to either get the bodies out into the wilderness fast, because the dust sticks around in the area, or else use an extremely high temperature incinerator to get safe ashes. I would bet you anything that, in the theoretical history of Terra, there have been incidences where Infected dying have proceeded to cause mass infections of more people – this is not a good thing for general Infected acceptance.

Now, add onto all of that the slight issue that Terra is also a dystopian hellscape. You’ve got random hellstorms that form and reshape the landscape (and are probably going to infect anyone In one that actually survives), an ocean that seemingly really does want to kill everyone, and countries that are almost all some variety of bad.

For just some major countries, or ones we’ve heard a fair bit about:
-Usus: Effectively the worst aspects of Tzarist Russia as well as the Soviet Union. Military very much operates under Soviet doctrines, and is patrolled and enforced by what seems to be a horrid combination of the Oprichnik and the Cheka. Most of the country is peasants, and treatment of Infected Is godawful.

-Victoria: We don’t know too much about their treatment of Infected, but aesthetically from what we’ve seen they’re basically Victorian England… except they’re apparently being ruled by a shadowy conspiracy, as the Heir Apparent of the Victorian throne is currently hiding on Rhodes Island (they’re an Operator we don’t have).

-Columbia: Actually fairly okay for the Infected, relatively, and is both a fully functioning democracy as well as a melting pot of many different races. But it’s also home to a bunch of PMCs and major amoral scientific organizations who likely have governmental support on some level. Realistically it’s probably where you’d like to live if you got stuck on Terra and had to pick, given just how terrible so many other places are, but there are very dark undercurrents going on here.

-Kazmierz: Effectively ruled by mega corporations, who’ve turned a previous history of knightly traditions into effectively sports franchises. Very much keeps the citizens happy through the concept of bread and circuses, exemplified by the rise and country-wide obsession and popularity of gladiatorial bloodsports. Infected nominally have some rights, but it’s more complicated than that and in practice it’s very shaky.

-Lungmen/Yen: Lungmen is basically fantasy Hong Kong, with all that entails. It’s also an SEZ of Yen, but whether Lungmen policies on Infected are better or worse than Yen are unknown, because Yen itself is a big fat ??? outside of stuff relating to Nian and her siblings.

Siracusa: For all intents and purposes it’s Sicily, except utterly, completely, and visibly ruled by the various Mob families.

Kjerag: A small, snowy country, this is where SilverAsh and company are from. Mentioned that it’s rarely if ever affected by Catastrophes, and Infected are actually rather well accepted there. Probably a fairly decent place to live if you don’t mind the cold.

Kazdel: This is basically the Balkans, but far, FAR worse. There’s… really not much else that needs said here.

Rim Billiton: Basically a countrywide collection of company mining towns. And generally not any sort of vaguely caring ones either.

Laterano: As has been mentioned, effectively the Vatican except guns everywhere. Although it doesn’t generally let Infected into the country, and banishes citizens who contract it, it’s actually fairly lenient on Infected overall (at least relatively). Banished citizens retain their citizenship, and one of the things Laterano citizenship includes is the guarantee of a certain set of rights… and they expect other nations to honor those rights as well. So if even a banished Infected citizen manages to get word out that they’re being mistreated, you can indeed potentially expect a squad of gun-toting religious templars showing up to “correct” the issue one way or another. Probably not a bad place to live.

There’s a number of other countries, but you might be sensing a theme here in how lovely a place Terra is to live.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

The best place to live that we've seen in-game are probably the rainforests of Sargon.

Not terribly hard when most of the places we've actually SEEN in-game are ruins, Infected slums, and Kazmierz. With the occasional bar, prison and presidential suite thrown in. Main story hasn't really taken a moment to show how the average citizen in, say, Lungmen actually lives.

You are forgetting Siesta though. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Overall an excellent event that made good use of most people and themes available to it. The only point that really fell flat was Schwartz who, as Clarste mentioned, was just there. You could have replaced her with practically any Sniper Operator at Rhodes Island and basically nothing in the story would have changed - hell, in many cases it would have been more interesting since they potentially could have had fun lines. Schwartz is just too reserved to be terribly interesting normally, and there was no one here to bounce her personality off of.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

I mean, the actual reason she was there was to sell a new costume.

Sure, but there are plenty of operators that could have done with a nice tactical skin, and might have actually brought something to the event. Particularly since it actually takes Schwarz to two - more than anyone other than a very small handful of others (many don't even have one). But that's getting into the weeds of how and who gets a new skin in gacha games.

edit: Just for an example, despite having placed #1 in every single popularity poll, Exusiai still only has one paid skin. And one other free promotional one (that Global will never get). Hell, the majority of the (fairly static between polls) top 10 only has 1.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 26, 2021

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gideon020 posted:

I'd say Amiya didn't care and likely ignored Kal'tsit and any of her misgivings for bringing back someone implicated in the downfall of Babel, because as previously shown Amiya is dedicated to The Doctor to a suspicious degree. And so far, Amiya's decision is winning out; Rhodes Island is expanding with a varied cast of eclectic characters that the Doctor can keep united, allowing Rhodes Island to fulfill its duties with greater success.

But yeah, unless W gets over her PTSD enough to be willing to explain what she witnessed, we'll never know the truth about what happened in Kazdel beyond Theresis pulling out a surprise win and Doc being directly implicated in that.

Cyphers suck indeed.

The problem mainly revolves around that we're only information out of highly dubious sources at the moment. That the Doctor killed Theresa isn't in question, but the "why" is up in the air. Like this:

Clarste posted:

Do you need another reminder? Theresa is dead. All of Kazdel, all of Terra will know that Kazdel has a new king. But that was just a decapitation strike. A lot of your core operators are still alive. Like that commander of yours who never showed up again. They made the right call.

Whoops. A lot happened offscreen, huh? In chess, sometimes you need to sacrifice the queen to win the game, I suppose. And then you put the pieces away and go to sleep.

His Majesty didn’t completely annihilate you because he wants to put a stop to the chaos. Kazdel needs him to pave a new path forward—But what about you? Who are you to lecture anyone about right or wrong? Of course you won’t say it, but I know that’s what you’re thinking. And while you’re thinking, you’re trying to erase all those faces from your memory, one by one. After all, you’re just here to vent. Just a petty little mercenary, drowning in her worthless revenge. You can’t beat anyone.

Could imply that the Doctor was always the Therisis' agent... somehow... or it could imply that Theresis' forces caught Babel in a trap and the Doctor killed Theresa in a deal to preserve the remainder of Babel. Which is a truly cold blooded decision to be sure, and one W wouldn't care about the reasons about, but one that can make a certain logical amount of sense. And we just don't know.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Blue Poison is an Anura (frog) from ???. She specializes in making poisons, possibly out of her own body, which gives her a rather undeserved reputation as "toxic". Like, literally toxic: people incorrectly think they might die if they touch her. In fact, she loves baking but very few people are willing to give her creations a try because of that. Uh... that's about it. It's kind of sad how much of her profile is just about her being poisonous. She's a poison dart frog, in case that wasn't clear.

There is a slight note in her profile that even aside from the poison aspect scaring people, Blue Poison is also extremely poor with the visual presentation of her baking. I can't tell if it's purely fanon interpretation of that line or not, but pictures abound of her basically cooking bright blue (or other luminescent colors) cakes with odd topping decorations too. They may taste incredible, but getting someone to actually try one for the first time is difficult.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

alfheimwanderer posted:

We did just get through an event where one of the things discussed was Victoria's situation, with the throne being empty for quite some time and the Dukes making their power plays.

Could be Edward Artorius was a possible heir to the throne, and the remains are needed to prove Tallulah's lineage or something. Gotta disrupt the Regent's scheming to claim the throne of Victoria somehow...

The problem is that we actually know who the current heir to the throne is, and it seems like the throne's being kept deliberately empty by a shadowy cabal for some reason or another rather than it actually lacking an heir. I also don't think Theresis has real influence within that cabal either, so it's more a matter of them using each other for whatever ends each has. The heir and their family are also not Dracos, so no luck with it being a branch family or whatever.

What is known is that there is a significant political faction of Dracos in Victoria as well, so it's possible that Talulah's father was part of that faction meaning she has theoretical connections to a segment of Victoria's high nobility, if not the current royalty. So you might be looking at a situation along the lines of the House of York and Lancaster, but that's just speculation.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 19, 2021

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Note that another possibility regarding the Sarcophagus is that it's for treating immortal (or whatever the hell you want to call people like Kal, Emperor or the High Priest) individuals, putting the Doctor in that group too. It's by no means a remotely solid theory, but there are rather odd lines scattered among various operators about how the Doctor acts - of especial note, one Operator's 4* victory quote is rather interesting. "Your tactics appear modern, yet the ideas behind them are primitive at their roots. Just what era do you stem from?"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Ooh, I love history lessons.

I think you've got this screencap in the wrong spot, given Ernesto says this exact line several lines of text down as well.

Also, Ernesto was absolutely just teasing his sister in the garage, and thinking it's anything else is somewhat odd. Particularly since her profile calls out that she actually is rather spacy outside of combat, so it's not something to tease her about that he's just randomly coming up with.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vote Mostima, because she's the best (disclaimer: does not apply to gameplay usage).

HellCopter posted:

I vote Siege because I've had her for like a year and haven't found a single use for her. Maybe you'll teach me something before the game asks me to care about her in the next story chapter :v:

Siege was great at launch, and she's perfectly fine in the early game, but she's been powercreeped extremely hard. Additionally, maps outside the early game really don't play towards how she's designed to be used either, so even without the powercreep she'd have fallen off a lot. If you have a generally decent team, it's extremely hard to justify her unless you're running a gimmick Vanguard-only team.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

booksnake posted:

I was also considering Team Rich Girls but I think that's like... Scene, Swire, Ch'en, Bagpipe? Maybe Cliffheart? I don't really know the roster deep enough.

Clarste posted:

Bagpipe is definitely not rich, she's like a peasant farmer who joined the military. I think Melantha and Mousse are though?

You are both extremely rude for forgetting about Jessica. Aside from somehow missing super rich tutorial girl though, there's enough others scattered around that probably make this one of the more viable groupings - Bibeak is another one available, and if Cliffheart is being included then Pramanix would probably qualify as well. You've also got a healer in Perfumer. Unfortunately, the Vanguards who can probably technically qualify are both missing from this account.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

I hadn't really noticed this the first time I read it, but Platinum gets a weird amount of focus for a character who barely shows up in this story. I think they're trying to set her up as a foil for Maria—since they're both people trying to live up to the name they inherited from a more celebrated predecessor—but it's a little awkward.

I think it might be more that the team had at least some thought as to how to continue the story, and knew they wanted Platinum as the face for another part of the current situation in Kazimierz. So she had to get a decent amount of characterization in the first part - even if it is somewhat disconnected from the overall thrust of this part of the story - in order to have her being more involved in the later parts flow better. I'm also not necessarily sure she was really set up as a foil to Maria either, since it's not like anything she's done so far has either directly or indirectly challenged Maria's ideals (which is what I generally view a foil as in this sense - so in other words the minibosses), but rather it feels more like just a somewhat superficially similar part of their characters that doesn't actually mean much.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fair, though as you mention none of the has been brought up yet, and mostly won't be until the later events entirely - which aren't particularly focused on Maria. So while directly comparing them certainly works, and that comparison is a good one, the story itself never seems to be interested in doing so.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's always a bit amusing seeing this picture and realizing just how short Platinum actually is. Seriously, she's not coming up to his shoulder even with her ears. There's a picture in the next event too which shows the same thing.

Indecisive posted:

interesting.. i didnt remember this. i wonder if this is someone we will see in a future event

remembering spoiler images ive seen in discord I think we do

When you actually stop and think about it, who she got hired by is incredibly obvious. So if they ever got an event the BK would probably be in it. It's just many people missed the connection since it's such a throwaway line.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OneWingedDevil posted:

On another read, maybe it has to do with the pegasian eyes that have been discussed in the event. I'm assuming now that's the real signature art of the Nearl bloodline. If so, both of them could use it and one of them withholding it would make it trivial for the other to win.

I'm going to cut this speculation off right now before you put too much more thought into it. Pegasian eyes have to do with Kuranta of the Pegasus line in general, not the Nearls specifically (though they are indeed Pegasi). This isn't a spoiler or anything, because there's another Kuranta of the Pegasus bloodline in the game that Clarste has shown off, with no relation to the Nearls, who literally has a skill called Pegasian Eyes.

If you're wondering, it's Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

This is when they make their themes 100% transparent for anyone in the audience who hasn't been paying attention. This isn't a matter of a few bad actors corrupting the system, the system itself is the enemy, and the villains are all people like her and Malkeiwicz and this director guy whose neck she just snapped. People who see themselves having no choice, stuck in its self-perpetuating cycle. Also, you know, capitalism. This game loving hates capitalism.

And the worst thing about it is that the writers also make it clear there isn't really a way out that they can think of, or at least not one that doesn't come with a boatload of its own issues. Because the whole thing with Maria illustrates that the only reason she even got a chance to try and shift anything in the first place was because of her family's name and position in society. Unless you're a true monster, it's basically impossible to even try and enact change without becoming part of the system if you're not from an influential family in the first place. Everyone else either plays by the rules or else is just casually discarded - whether by manufacturing a scandal, siccing assassins on them, or just by tweaking numbers so it looks like they're performing poorer and poorer over time before letting them go. And then they're completely forgotten about as everyone moves on to the newest thing.

Like, I was literally just watching a video that happened to talk about how vicious the world of Twitch streaming is, and one of the ugliest things they mention is how if a streamer even dares to disappear for like a week - whether for injury, illness, or just wanting to take a vacation - they'll have lost roughly HALF their followers. And it takes a whole hell of a lot more than a week to recover those numbers. Now compare that to Centaurea talking about how even her most obsessive fan just... forgot about her within weeks of her leaving the knightclub and vanishing from the headlines.

Centaurea's relatable because she joined one job she thought looked really nice, found she utterly hated the underlying mechanics of it, and then joined another job where she thought she could actually make a difference - only to find out that was just an irrelevant cog in the machine as well. And, unlike at least some portion of knight-assassins, it's not even like she enjoys killing and thus can take her frustrations out that way. She derived some satisfaction from knocking off the person literally abusing her in the arena, but once she figured out out they don't actually make any difference she just started hating every aspect of the job - possibly aside from improving her archery, as she does seem to like that, at least. There's a reason basically her opening line in the Maria Nearl event was she hated being back in Kazimierz and wanted to leave again as soon as possible.