Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raviente
Mar 1, 2013
Great LP! I've actually read through the main story multiple times trying to piece things together, and even I'm learning new things that you're pointing out. The text is... dense, to say the least.

I think the implication here is that the Doctor has been in the sarcophagus multiple times? But it's not clear which time this flashback with Priestess is meant to be. One line did stick out to me though:

quote:

You find you and your peers running as fast as you can through the corridor.

I thought "peer" was an interesting word here. Maybe I'm hyper-focusing on a singular word choice, but I didn't get the impression that Babel era Doctor had anyone who they would really consider a peer, with how writers constantly hammering us over the head about pre-amnesia Doctor only seeing others as chess pieces, and they were the "player outside of the board".

Lullaby is a great song though.

Raviente fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raviente
Mar 1, 2013
Indigo, Bena, Chen

I also felt a little disappointed in Chen's role in this chapter. Her story feels like it concluded in Chapter 7, and then here she's just kind of along for the rest of the ride. And since all the flashbacks focus on Talulah, it felt like Amiya should have copied her super cool dragon sword (if she had one), rather than Chen's.

But despite that, the chapter is still my favorite. The emotional punches in Talulah's backstory, while sort of predictable, still hit hard and add up to a satisfying story.

Raviente
Mar 1, 2013
I like Shirayuki's characterization across all the different vignettes and side-stories, where she most often shows up. Based on her appearance and voice lines, you'd think she is a one-note character with a single personality trait ("bodyguard"), but she's actually just a weirdo with normal hobbies, like comic books, and TV dramas.

Actually, in my opinion one of the strengths of Arknight's writing is that almost all the characters have lives outside of being Operators, in a convincing way (and for those that don't, it's usually portrayed as bad and unhealthy). It makes me care a lot more about the characters than I would otherwise.

Raviente fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 15, 2022