Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

mr_stibbons posted:

Been playing since launch, and very interested to see how this LP goes. I've got some opinions on the story and writing, but I'll get around to it when things get explained more.

The initial pull isn't fixed to a specific operator-I have a different one saved as an operator for the early levels. I think it's rigged to always be a 4 star.

4*+ I believe, I've seen people get 6*s on their initial pull.

Anyway, I've been playing since launch so I'll happily follow along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh, re: the dialogue options, AFAIK there is exactly one cutscene in the game that actually changes significantly based on your choices. It's the 5th hidden cutscene in chapter 8.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I definitely wouldn't call it much of a traditional tower defense personally.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fun fact, Rim Billiton is fantasy Australia, due to its references to BHP Billiton.

I have my own ideas on who the Sarkaz are analogues of, but I will save my speculation for when their homeland becomes more relevant.

If there's one feedback point I'd give, it's that maybe add an extra line of gap between dialogue lines that don't have a talking head attached. It's a bit hard to discern them otherwise.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I was the guy who was doing the GFL LP, and I can concur that a gacha LP is hell to plan around. There's a reason why I abandoned it :v:

The devs have said that they test all maps with free operators only which is quite nice of them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

I wonder what happened with that one. The fact that approximately 50% of the important story developments in that game are on time limited events that are directly sequentially part of the main story is... Really strange, even if they add them in permenantly eventually there's no actual indication when you're supposed to play them. :v:

I burnt out is what happened :v:

Edit: just so I'm not talking about my old LP all the time, a couple of trivia points:

1) there is a Korean client, and during their 1st anniversary video they had a few character skits in Korean, so technically a few characters have official Korean voiceovers, just not in the game.
2) The Chinese name for Arknights, 明日方舟, translates to Tomorrow's Ark (as in the boat).

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 14, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vanguards are pretty cool, a lot of them have traits that synergise with one another and running a Vanguardknights squad for the sake of it can be pretty fun.

I would argue that you could further divide 2-block vanguards into two subarchetypes: Offensive and Defensive. As the names suggest, it's all about their stat distribution. The Offensive 2-blocks are Vanilla (kinda) > Scavenger > Texas, while the Defensives are Fang > Courier > Zima. Funnily enough, both 6* 2-blocks are pretty balanced in terms of stats and abilities so I'll just shove them together as the capstone for both lines :v:

I also agree that the early treatment of Reunion is mishandled, although I do have to wonder how much of it is wonky translation, how much of it is cover in case a particularly zealous censor read through it during the HK protests, and how much of it is stuff that Hypergryph actually agrees with.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fun fact about Ace: for a good two years the fanbase has been arguing about what race he is because it's not very clear from his art. The official concept art book has come out in China and it confirms that he's a snake person.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Specter, Myrtle and Scavenger for me.

Couple of notes:
- Silverash is his last name, SilverAsh is his codename. I believe that he is named after a Chinese rock band of the same name.
- Vouivre are wyvern people, not lizard people. Lizard/salamander people are Savra.
- There are actually two other Anaty, although only one was in at launch. Mayer and Robin. I think they're meant to be various mustelids/mustelid-likes.

Acerbatus posted:

Aren't all the lizard people supposed to be like big Killer Croc lookin brutish types and the ladies are all willowy hotties or is that a different subtype?

Those are the crocodile people :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Itra are musk deer people, Elafia are regular deer people. Why the writers or the in-game cultures decided there was a big enough difference to constitute a split, I dunno.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

They have recently started adding in small character stories to various operators on EN, of varying length/quality, along with a small challenge map tailor made to show off that operator's skills. They're generally small looks at their daily lives aboard Rhodes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That is forbidden visual novel technology that the devs only figure out checks calendar 1.5 years after launch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you're just starting out then feel free to pop into the AK thread in Mobile Games or our Discord which has a link in that thread.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

None of these are particularly my favs so I will say player's choice.

My usual set of notes:
- That chapter length graphic is for CN, just FYI. I think the word count for EN would be pretty different.
- Sargon is a weird mix of Africa, Meso/South America and Mesopotamia (hence the name).
- Lethiania is fantasy Austria-Hungary, it's named after the Leitha river.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh I meant out of the whole roster, haha. I like Zima enough, so Zima, Perfumer, Cardigan, Lava and Earthspirit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dobermann has a pretty snazzy costume that shows what she looked like back in the Bolivar days.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I quite liked Old Grandpa Simulator, but I have a high tolerance for rambley conversations and honestly, I also think that it could be cut down just a bit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If there's one anthology event that I think needs to be watched as a whole and in order, it's the Children of Ursus event. I hope you get around to it eventually.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I forgot if it was mentioned before, but Ch'en is a Lung, just like Wei. It really does seem that furriness just depends on what the artist feels like.

Wei's artist, Kuroblood, actually works for Hypergryph inhouse rather than as a contracted artist. Wei and another NPC that we haven't met yet are actually her fursonas from before Arknights was a thing. She has also done a couple of playable characters that we haven't met yet either.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Draga posted:

KuroBlood is also the artist for Hung and Waai Fu. Honestly if you see a character that looks furrier than the norm, it's probably a KuroBlood design.

Don't forget Aak!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blockade maps can be pretty funny if you do blockade juggling shenanigans because you can make enemies path back and forth in a corridor by loving with their pathing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Plausible I guess, but I don't think the text supports it at all. We've had a lot of slice-of-life events by now and not once has anyone ever talked about the atmosphere or vibe of Rhodes being out of the ordinary after the Doc is back.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If anyone wants to know more about Franka and the rest of the Blacksteel characters, Hypergryph is currently releasing a Blacksteel manhua (Chinese equiv of manga) up on one of their sites. Only one chapter out so far, but I'm working on translating and typesetting it. Will probably post it in the main Arknights thread when I'm done.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I translated the Blacksteel manhua that Hypergryph put up on one of their sites.

Chapter 0

Chapter 1

As promised.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

- To be precise, the inherent CM stat boost is x1.2
- RE: the Amiya line, I don't have the line in CN but I checked a fan translation and they went for pretty much the same thing. Must have been still figuring out Amiya's characterisation then.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have a soft spot for Platinum. Rest is up to you IMO.

I think it would be fair to assume that Matterhorn is a yak rather than a regular ox, based on him being from Kjerag and his fuzzy mantle.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I dunno why, but I feel like this vignette was a good thematic capstone to that anthology event. It just works as an ender, y'know?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

mr_stibbons posted:

Seriously the girl comes off as a murderous sociopath with no redeeming qualities.

That's the best part though

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I think so too, but the conventional translation of the official names of the later Chinese dynasties uses "Great", so maybe they're riffing on that. Seems weirdly archaic in this context, though.

Greater Lungmen sounds like it's referring to a metropolis, like Greater London. I agree that Great Lungmen is strangely archaic but it Just Works.

Also they eventually standardise people referring to Chen as Sir.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I wouldn't say that the defense tiles are totally a trap. Cuora on one with proper medic support can tank Skullshatterer with her s2 up, at least.

Also yeah, I agree that this is where the writing starts to be better. Shame it takes the translation a while longer to get to the same quality.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Once I borrowed a friend's Silverash with his S2 set, and not knowing how it worked I kept toggling it on and off wondering what the gently caress it did. Didn't beat that map that run!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Go for it IMO, but probably show off Ancient Forge first because Who Is Real is a quasi-sequel to it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ancient Forge's one of the more fun events. I wonder if you'll be alright with me posting the animated PV that Yostar Pictures made for it? I don't think it really spoils anything.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVR3JCPGzeY

I just really like the event/new chapter PVs. They're a fun watch.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Iris is funky, I've never used her before.

Iris
Platinum
Frostleaf
Pinecone
Spot

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 30, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Haha, Lava and Nian are so cute together.

I hope that for the followup event you link each track of the OST in it, it's so good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Despite Mr. Nothing's general boot-licking dogsbody behaviour he became one of my favourite characters by the end of the event along with another that we haven't met yet.

Out of the 3*s that Kroos is probably familiar with, the only one I can really think of having to beg for undocked wages frequently is probably Catapult, although I'm probably wrong.

Also, the event currency actually has its own lore tidbit when pressed on. Might be worth showing later. Actually, all materials have small little lore tidbits. The furniture, too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yami Fenrir posted:

I just wish that Kroos design was available as an alternate or even just rework of base Kroos personally.

It's weird that they show it off here and then... have it entirely unavailable?

:confused:

The summer events are perfect proof that the devs are entirely willing to draw new looks for operators and then never give them to us, not even if we paid money for them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ooo, double update. A few notes:

- Mount Sky is first referenced in one of the cutscenes in Rewinding Breeze, specifically in the story about Dusk Beauty Flying To The Moon. Hmm..........
- When Saga is ringing the bell, when Mr. Nothing says "I'll help!" his portrait actually moves over to Saga's side and starts helping her ring the bell. I really like that sort of character animation and it's sad that it took Hypergryph until the event before Who Is Real to figure it out.
- The Japanese ri is indeed distinct to the Chinese li. https://jisho.org/word/%E9%87%8C-1 Both use the same character 里, but the ri is about 4km while the li is about 500m. Big difference! Interestingly, Korea also has a ri, which measures at ~400m.
- re: Saga's sword line, the term that she used in the original Chinese is 刀法. If I were to literally translate it I would go for "bladework" or "way of the blade", so it could still technically work with a naginata/polearm. 刀 does refer to a specific type of Chinese sword but in common parlance means any sort of knife or blade, really.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

Yeah, I realized that later, I was just too cowardly to hit the center white tile and turn it black for even a second.

You don't have to hit the center white tile at all. The firecrackers have a cross-shaped aoe and you can hit the black tiles on the side without catching the central one too.