Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Hey just tuning in as a new reader!

You pretty much sold me on Utage, I do have her in my own game but she's just been kind of sidelined forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I just wish that Kroos design was available as an alternate or even just rework of base Kroos personally.

It's weird that they show it off here and then... have it entirely unavailable?

:confused:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The storyteller might be sick because of a sort of "possession sickness" of sorts. Never thought of it that way before.

I will note that he does seem to share Dusks color scheme if you look closely. It's most notable in the hair and the thing he holds has a dangly bit that's very reminiscent of the sword Dusk has

(I hope mentioning that is okay since they're visible on the headhunting tab?)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'd like to see Ethan, Mr. Nothing, Vigna, Waai Fu and Iris in action.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I've come to like the Doctor, actually, but that's mostly due to background information in, say, Operator stories and other things.

In the main story alone the Doctor is just... kind of there. Amiya basically being the Doctor's #1 fangirl doesn't really help the Doc feeling a bit off since it's not really properly explained at this point.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

What is it with this game and the tiles being traps in the missions they're introduced?!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 13, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

No, no, these tiles absolutely are stupidly placed if the game expects you to actually use them. They're too unreliable to actually finish off leaks.

And I still "fondly" remember the defense tiles in the Skullshatterer fight.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Texas, Lappland (how can we not put them on the same squad lol), Warfarin, Pinecone, LPers choice

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Silence works against the splitting?

:psyduck:

Of all the things Silence works on, I never thought it'd that.

It's the main gimmick (and difficulty) of the event for crying out loud!

I wish Silence wasn't so inconsistent.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Absolutely yes.

Even if we have her we can just not use her.

Not having her makes it a lot more difficult if we ever would really need her, though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The bombs really are borderline useless.

So much that i forgot i had them for a lot of the maps lol.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

There is no shame in using Surtr on this boss. This map is hell and trying to get it auto proof is worse.

At least it's boss theme is pretty cool (That said, this entire event has kickass music).

Also, Ash beating Drudge senseless is so very cathargic.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 25, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Having Phantom myself but not having gotten around to building them I'd like to see them used.

Other than that... Chiave just seems to be a worse Texas really. think I'll just leave the rest up to LPer choice.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

For what it's worth I agree with armored casters being annoying and stupid.

Doubly so for Elite Casters - I find it incredibly bizarre that spec ops casters only show up now, actually.

Elite casters are very rude to beginner Doctors and iirc the game actually only gives you a tutorial on the stage after you first encounter them, which is just :psyduck:

You'd think it'd introduce spec ops first and elite casters later?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Does Liskarm's talent work diagonally?

I.E. did it restore Dusk's SP in that one map?

Asking because I do have her, but not built.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Phantom, Warfarin, Eyjafjalla, Lappland, Myrtle, Liskarm, Astesia

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Whoa, Blaze is a lot more angry in general than I expected.

Just from her operator voicelines she seemed pretty easygoing, but she's kind of being a hardass in here.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The superhero entrance was cool and Blaze follows that up by continuing to be cool. So I think it was a fine introduction.

Anyway, I wish they had more maps like that last one. I like having a pre-determined selection of ops for a mission. It turns the maps into more of a puzzle and sometimes gives you the opportunity to use units you'd never use yourself. It's not something i'd want all the time or even half the time but it's neat.

I honestly forgot that was a thing that existed before I checked if I missed any challenge mode clears a bit ago.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Have to say trying to humanize Mephisto doesn't work for me at all. Only thing it does is making Talulah an even bigger piece of poo poo.

Eh, I wouldn't call it humanizing personally. It's more showing a reason other than "for the evulz". Mephisto's still someone who needs to be set on fire.

Now Faust, I'm actually trying to respect a little more. Just a little, though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

You know for someone who's actively trying to murder us, Frostnova seems pretty...

chill.

(heh)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

FractalSandwich posted:

They keep having characters talk about the Doctor's face, and it throws me off every single time.

I said before that I'd like the Doctor a lot more if they were a cute anime girl, but at this point I'd settle for just about anything concrete, because the image of a grown-rear end man cowering behind Amiya in the leadup to the Frostnova fight is also very funny to me.

It's extra funny because the Doctor would basically have to kneel to actually be able to hide behind Amiya.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I like the writing of this (The Yeti Squad makes me actually feel a bit bad for Reunion, first time since Episode 1) but goddamn the timeline is a mess in this. I feel like it just jumps ahead and backwards at several points (such as when the Doc is stuck underground with Frostnova) and it is a unnecessarily confusing mess.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Octatonic posted:

It works perfectly fine in context, but I have a soft spot for this kind of fourth wall breaking. That being said, if the doctor commands like some players do, no wonder they're a nightmare to serve under.

I swear I never intentionally threw someone into the line of fire.

Unless they're called Gravel.

Or I panicked.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Doesn't W literally mention raiding them too in this update?

Like, that's actual acts of war stuff.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Clarste posted:

Well, in the context of this quote:

It sounds like it's more piracy by private mercenary organizations than an act of war, and a unified Kazdel would actually crack down on that. You can't exactly expect a country with no working government to take care of their bandit infestation.

Fair enough! I guess I misremembered.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

mr_stibbons posted:

Phantom, Toddifons, Blue Poison, Specter, Shamare, Utage, Dusk

Seconding this.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

DM-EX-4 is probably my least favorite Map out of the whole event.

Also this is the first time I've seen Myrtle seen, or mentioned, anywhere in a cutscene. Feels kind of odd actually.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Welcome to the worst character of the game.

And also the best one.

I'll let you decide which one is which.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Kal'tsit always stuck me as someone who's kind of stuck in the past. So agreeing to someone she worked with for a while show up and ask for help does make some sort of sense for me.

In fact, there's a plot point latter in the event that I really want to talk about but can't yet. At least not in the context of the LP.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Heidi is probably my favorite character this event.

Her design is... something though. It somehow looks pretty despite roughly looking like a see-through garbage bag.

The only problem is that it looks like a see-through garbage bag.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Acerbatus posted:

Despite generally being relatively tame for an anime mobage, ak really likes semitranslucent plastic akirts.

Which is fine when it's Blaze and uh, less fine when it's Rosmontis.

FWIW I haven't actually noticed it on those two.

It's kind of hard not to notice it on Heidi though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Kal'tsit is clearly the transformed pet cat of someone from some precursor civilization so old it might be confused with gods.

It's the only thing that makes sense at this point.

:v:

Also Mon3ter continues to be best girl.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

And here's why Passenger is a massive moron.

Kal'tsit: Breaking this will probably infect you.
Elliot: DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
*breaks the crystal*

and now he's crawling back to Kal'tsit for that infection he gave himself completely unnecessarily.

Also regarding that charm spell affecting Isin:

I was actually wondering if maybe Kal'tsit is affected by something similar by Theresa. Theresa seemed to attract the loyalty of people far too quickly (i.e. W in Darknights) and from what I can tell, Kal'tsit may have joined her only fairly recently. And Kal'tsit seemed far more attached to Theresa than like, literally anyone or anything else so far.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Clarste posted:

To be fair, it is quite clear that adult Elliot doesn't actually care about his infection. So it seems weird to say he is crawling back to her because of it.

He literally says "I'm willing to throw away my political power and wealth for a chance to get cured" in the story, in this update even, iirc.

Like sure he might be using it as a not entirely true reason to buddy up with Rhodes Island, but... he's still throwing away power and wealth. So I took it as him being more disaffected than actively not caring.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Clarste posted:

He says that after "oh, I almost forgot" bored way, and the other characters immediately call him out on it. He then admits that it's just an excuse and he wants to see Kal'tsit again because he has no idea what to do with his life after completing his revenge.

Hm, fair enough. Could be argued that he's just crawling back to her for a different reason, though :v:

Guess I'm just mentally blocking out most things Elliot by now.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Clarste posted:

There is a ridiculous amount of unique portrait art in this event. Like, Elliot has different variations for hood-up and hood-down, for both child and adult forms, and of course all of Kal'tsit's costumes. Lillia has a lot of expressions too, and the faceless nobles at the party, etc etc.

Which makes it doubly funny that all the battle maps are reusing old assets.

It is kind of getting old seeing Sarkaz Mercenaries as the generic evildoer fodder, too. I guess it's sort of thematic, but still.

Where are all the Sarkaz that a) have depth, b) aren't already on our side in some way?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 11, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

That last map caused me way more trouble than it had any real right to.

I had to do some weird mega deathzone on the left whereas the right side was really easy... and I'm not sure why.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

FractalSandwich posted:

Wh--

How old is Amiya, again?

And Suzuran.

And Rosmontis. (Think we saw this one already but I'm not 100% so...)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I love this scene. Between all the things that are happening and that Amiya picture where the person standing next to her is so much taller their head is off the screen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The doctor is here to be Amiya's moral support, duh.