Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Karlan crew is my favorite group of arknights characters with iberia squad as a close second, so I'm glad to see them here. :unsmith:

Itra are deer, yeah. Courier is specifically based on a musk deer (which is why he's got the anime fangs going on despite being based on a herbivore, they've got like... sabertooth stuff going on).

What we know about SilverAsh is that he talks in a really old fashioned way and likes dressing up like a pirate, so he owns too.

edit: If you want, I can do a quick writeup of the credit shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Arkonomics 101: The Credit Store and You

Rim Billiton isn't the only one with their very own script store - Closure's gotten in on that game too, and given that it's the only way to recruit at least one Operator, it's probably worth going over, at least a little.

Okay, so I can get Operators there. What else?

The most important thing you can get from the credit store is upgrade materials - things like various flavors of mystical mineral, industrial goo in tubes, and sugar that's probably but not certainly edible that can be used to raise an Operator's skills or to promote them to a higher tier. You can also purchase LMD, or Lungmen Dollars, the currency that makes the world go 'round and is used to pay for all the upgrading you're doing, Battle Records, used to raise Operator's levels, Recruitment Permits and Expedited Plans, which are used with Recruitment to get more Operators, and Furniture Parts and Carbon Bricks, which are used for improving your base, possibly by adding a nice houseplant to a room to really liven it up.

That's real neat. What's the store look like?

Here's the interface. The top right corner displays your current credit count. You'll notice that it's out of 300; you can only carry a maximum of 300 credit over to the next day. Everything above that is lost. Next to it is the 'claim' button; you can click that once a day to get a nice chunk of credit that increases as you develop your base. Below that is the collection of items the store is selling that day; each day's selection is entirely random. Some days you'll get a bunch of discounted materials that you really need, some days it'll be carbon bricks all the way down. It depends. You'll notice I mentioned discounts - all the items in the shop also have a chance to be discounted 50%, 75%, or (very rarely) 99%. If you qualify to have an Operator in the shop (because you've reached a certain spending threshold) they'll always be one of the available items, and I don't believe they're ever discounted. If you're not sure how much more you have to spend to reach that shiny new operator threshold, you can click the 'operator progress' button in the bottom left corner and it'll show you.

What other ways can I get credit? 200 a day isn't enough for me, I got rocks to buy.

Here are the ways you get credit, as helpfully summarized by the game itself:

- Improve your base (up to 200/day). This is tied to a specific base-building thing I'm sure Clarste will go over.
- Use a support character (30/day) or have someone use your support character (20/day).
- Trade information with other players (this is also a specific base buildinng thing I'm sure Clarste will go over), which can get you 300 to 500ish credits a day depending on timing and how many friends you have on your list. Make friends! It's important!

That was a lot of words to describe a very simple concept. I'm bored and want to see a picture of SilverAsh dressed as a pirate.

Okay!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

No, I mean going from base to Elite 1 to Elite 2, like Clarste mentioned.

It raises their level cap (or, really, starts them over at level 1 of the new rank, but that's the same thing), may teach them new skills (SilverAsh gets Rules of Survival after being promoted to Elite 1, and Truesilver Slash after being promoted to Elite 2), and may teach or upgrade innate talents that the Operator has (Myrrh's heal on deploy talent is learned at E1, and upgrades to 150% efficacy at e2).

Leraika fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 16, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Each operator also has a dossier that you can unlock by using them in combat and promoting them, and there are events that are basically collections of unlockable vignettes about a small handful of characters.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

My girl Matoimaru, Astesia, and SilverAsh with a conditional Midnight if not SilverAsh. Last vote is dealer's choice.

Earthspirit is another one of my favorite characters. She's got a great design and a non-battle skill that really perfectly fits her personality in a fun and flavorful way. Too bad she's not great.

edit: Waai Fu is also one of my favorite designs; you ended up drawing a lot of the characters I like a lot and never use this update.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 18, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo yes please use beanstalk, I'm so glad I gave you one of my votes

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

A vote for Beanstalk is a vote for Peacake.

You can't say no to that cute little face, can you?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

i see that unchosen debuff tag and i cri

Warfarin was a really good grab though. I'd vote for her but her gimmick won't kick in for a long time in this LP.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

SpruceZeus posted:

if it's still voting time i'd like to just throw in a single one for Beanstalk because i had no idea she even existed (definitely must have been put in after i stopped playing) and she seems really interesting mechanically.

and also she's cute.

She was just added in the last batch of characters like a week and a half ago.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Matterhorn, Cliffheart, SilverAsh, Courier... and Beanstalk

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

since I don't have Platinum myself, I have to ask: is she still voiced in the global version, or did they remove her voice acting at the same time they removed it in CN?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I kinda like the operator cycling busywork part of it; gives me a reason to decorate my dorms. Yes show event, so I can steal your operator layouts for the hard fights

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

NGDBSS posted:

IIRC they recently had a Rainbow Six: Siege collab? I remember an idle animation with someone entranced by a drone.

We'll be getting that event after the event that's dropping tomorrow.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Beanstalk, Pinecone, Utage, Myrtle, Dealer's Choice Mr. Nothing if he shows up

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hey just tuning in as a new reader!

You pretty much sold me on Utage, I do have her in my own game but she's just been kind of sidelined forever.

IS was what convinced me I'd slept hard on utage. Yes hello I am a guard that does sicknasty damage and don't need a medic backing me up.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Integrated Strategies/Fungimist.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

There's an operator that shows up in that Closure/Kal'tsit talk that China just got as a playable very recently.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

I pulled her today, actually, while I was working on the write-up.

it's fate, clearly.

congrats!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

This is a really good writeup on the themes of the event, and I appreciate your thoughts on it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

We are the Mr. Nothing propaganda machine. A vote for Mr. Nothing is a vote for fun and extremely cheap operators. It is also, somehow, a vote for Peacake.

Also, let's see Dusk, Beanstalk, Whisperrain (iberia crew!!!), and Vigna.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

here's a video where someone clears 4-4 just by using an e0 level 15 Shaw

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Chuu posted:

I heard at some point they changed this map so it wasn't as easy to 0 and 1 op clear it, it's nice to see an old video to see what they changed. The melee Sarkaz that path to the left exit will no longer kill themselves automatically. It's still easy enough to clear with Shaw + a bunch of E0-1 operators playing interference though.

Huh, did they? Explains why I had issues replicating it. Oh well, a nice little relic.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I seem to recall placing the six star pusher in the spot next to where you put Perfumer and getting some mileage out of that, but I was kind of looking for an excuse to use them.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Beanstalk, Dusk, Mr. Nothing. Whisperain, Warfarin

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Oh man, this is a tricky one... gonna settle on no because she does pretty much obsolete Dusk and I like Dusk.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Nah, who'd name a sketchy logistics company after a polar creature?

That's silly.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Flipswitch posted:

He got buffed and reworked a few months back and is a lot better but he's definitely the fan fave. His Lord nickname came from the community and I didn't expect Arknights to use it lol.

Tell us more about these characters from the R6:S side?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

GFL is one of those no guys allowed games, right? Not a great place to advertise your character shooter with guys in it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

He's my favorite, because if I got isekai'd, I too would immediately want to know all about the pop culture of the world I ended up in.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The story in this one is kind of whatever but I sure as hell enjoy the worldbuilding.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

I would say the main point of this event is to show the Arknights world from the eyes of an outsider, which naturally leads to them explaining a lot of things that are normally left unspoken.

Oh yeah, it's certainly a step up from, say, Granblue Fantasy crossover plots which are just 'highly marketable teens with or without attitude get isekai'd, they fit into the world seamlessly*, solve the problem that happens to be tailored to their skill set, and isekai on out again, remembering the friends they made along the way'.

*spotty translations a la 'oh, [school idols] are actually related to schools?' aside

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

This is a very good bit of exposition on exactly why oripathy makes people loving terrified.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

It was definitely better than the worst events I've seen.

Voting time! Dusk, SilverAsh, Beanstalk, Whisperrain, Tachanka

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I think it's named after the demon noh masks.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm so pleased you're getting so much use out of Beanstalk.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

There's something very pleasing about Smug Chess Boy having a breakdown.

And with this post, we're officially caught up to where I am in the game. Hooray :toot:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

Huh. Really? You should do chapter 6 imo.

Yeah, I got distracted by events/The Inexorable Chip Grind That Consumes My Existence.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Beanstalk ad infinitum, Tachanka, SilverAsh, Perfumer, Liskarm

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Jesus, Mephisto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Chuu posted:

This is the map where my playthrough hit a brick wall. I remember I got here with two E2 units and no AoE healer. And spent literal days worth of practice certs trying to figure out some way to beat this map with that squad. The actual clear involved a lot of luck, really tight timings on skills, and throwing bodies at the final spearthrower trying to stall and chip damage it enough so it could expire on its own. Incredibly ugly.

I just ran this one and also struggled until I realized the thing where the javelin throwers don't move until their target is dead (so I did not, in fact, have to nuke them with prejudice and also fragile ranged units) and just parked Cuora in the tank spot, a healer on her, and off to the races. She can't deal retaliation damage like Hoshi can, but her defense is obscenely high.