Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
T. K. Edwards, Infernal

Please, slow it down.
There's a secret magic password,
That you only notice when you're looking back at it...
And, all I wanna do is turn around.
I'm going down to sleep on the bottom of the ocean,
'Cause I couldn't let go.
And the water hit the setting sun.

--

Have you ever had a good friend, like a really good childhood friend, somebody inseperable from your youth that everything, like everything reminds you of? Your mom baking cookies, that old treehouse down the street that you basically lived in all summer, throwing rocks at trains. Everything. And then, one day... they just move away?

Yeah, it's kinda like that, only they're never, ever coming back.

I can still remember the look on my mom's face when she told me about what happened to Jack. I still can't listen to Bright Eyes, that's who I was listening to when I heard that my best friend was gone. Everything after that was just a blur that year. Sad faces at home. Sad faces at school. Sad sad sad. Just me and my headphones. No more Jack.

Until, suddenly, there was somebody else. No, not like a friend at school. A... voice. Kind of. I noticed it at first when I was listening to Mt. Wolf. An extra vocal track, one I hadn't heard before. I listened to it over and over again, trying to hear it, but it was gone. Then a week later, on another track. Then another. I became fixated - was it me? My phone? Some sort of ghost haunting Spotify? Months passed, and I slowly started to understand what it was saying. Small things at first, ambient howls, then words, then simple phrases. "I'm here." "I'm under." "You can hear." It didn't make sense. Was it Jack? I had no idea. But it sounded like him though. At least... his voice.

The voice introduced itself eventually. Russ. It... he... never answers any questions I ask about him. But he seems to know me. And he promises me things. And sometimes they happen. He helps me solve my problems. I want to ask for Jack back. I know that's not gonna happen.

But at least I'm not alone anymore.

quote:

Name: T. K. Edwards
Skin: Infernal
Look: Distant, Piercing Eyes
Origin: Broken Soul

Stats
Hot 0
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 1

Moves

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.
Elsewise Power - You can give the dark power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.
Uncanny Voices - You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Unknowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Backstory
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
T.K. Edwards, the Infernal

Heliotrope posted:

What happened to Jack?

I hate that question. You really couldn't go look it up somewhere? I felt like every newspaper in the state came down. Something about state funds being misappropriated, the local developer even got sent to jail.

He was walking one morning out west of town across the Saints Bridge - you know the one, they did finally finish the construction on it. But this was before it was done. They had opened it to traffic but hadn't completed all the guard rails. He was just walking and suddenly, he wasn't. The lady who witnessed it says it was a gust of wind... He fell into the river and hit his head on a rock. Drowned before anybody could get to him.

I sometimes wonder... was it really a gust of wind? I know his home life was rough - my mom's gone more often than not with her work at the clinic, but with it just being the two of us, we get along alright. I just... I hope it wasn't because of me. We had spent a lot of time together that summer. Honestly, it almost felt like I was the only person he felt he could spend any time around. But my mom needed me that morning to help clear out my grandmother's house. So... he was just alone.

Heliotrope posted:

What strikes you strange about Russ? That is, strange for someone like him?

You mean, aside from the fact that he actually wants to talk to me? And not just because he "upped my popularity" by a ton? I... I mean the guy talks to me through my music app. He's pretty normal I guess considering.

Except... well, he does ask for some weird things. Like spray painting weird symbols onto abandoned buildings and under bridges (I guess it's also weird that those symbols somehow appear in my mind). Or leaving certain doors at school unlocked when they shouldn't be. None of it is normal. But I guess I don't care that much... it isn't hurting anybody, right? And... it feels like, somehow, Russ is my only remaining connection to Jack. Even if he is gone. If you could hang out with your best friend's ghost, you would, right?

Heliotrope posted:

Who is trying to get you to open up, and what has Russ told you about them?

If there's ever been somebody pushing me to open up, I'd have to say that's Joanna Harmony. The preacher's daughter. Even before my "glow up" she's been pestering me to talk about my feelings. Bugging me about looking depressed and wearing dark clothes. And now that more people are paying attention to me, she's really turned it up, almost every day tapping me on the shoulder.

Russ says that she has a thing for me. Like... bad. Like stalking me and taking pictures of me and putting them up on her walls and kissing them. Which, uh, I guess I should be honored but... she's really not my type.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
On Glowing Up

Get high, hit the floor before you go
Matador, estocado, you're my blood sport

I honestly never asked Russ for much, in the short time we've been... together. It's only been a few months. But... well, it's not like there weren't problems in my life I couldn't use a little help fixing.

Like, those senior bullies - namely Chad Mathews - who calls me a goth wannabe and devil worshipper. Literally only because I like to wear black clothes. That's the only reason. It's like he's stuck in 2004. Complete with a really strange George W. Bush hardon. But people don't really like to stand up to Chad, though Marko did once. Didn't go so well...

But all I had to do was mention it to Russ and it was like... poof. The next day, he was treating me nicely and even invited me to one of his parties. It was kinda bizarre, he was acting like we were suddenly friends. And of course most of his followers followed suit. I tried to keep my head down (like usual) but they just kept... being nice. And like stopping me to talk all the time. And annoying me.

And, of course for the party, I mentioned to Russ that I wanted to make an impression, maybe stand out in a way that would get them to leave me alone a little bit. Like respect me and not bother me all the time. I think he overdid it though... now most people just kind of... admire me from a distance? Rumors about girls wanting me to ask them out. The few friends(?) I have left seem to be unaffected. But most of the god-squad has fallen in line. Though Harmony is still... Harmony.

On Marko

He moved here and was immediately singled out as a "weirdo," which I guess makes me like him, even though he always seems angry or whatever. I'm not sure if "friend" is the right word, but acquaintance is fine for me. He reminds me of Jack in a way, but not really in any good ways. He has a wild side that's much more obvious. If there is somebody just as kind or friendly behind the curtain, well... I wish that Marko was more present than just the one that picks fights and stalks around school.

He did recently stand up for me though. With Chad. No insult I haven't heard a million times but Marko really got set off. I'm just glad it didn't end up in violence. And then after he kept wanting to talk to me, like he wants to fix me. Save me from... I dunno. Loserdom? A wasted life spent brooding over the meaninglessness of existence and solitude of grief? Northwestern indie music? Uhm... nah.

On Alanis

She's certainly got her finger on the pulse (and purse-strings) of the town. Or, at least, the appearance of it. Which is just as good, at least according to Russ. He always gets a little weird when Alanis comes up but... I guess I don't really care that much. She seems standoffish and a little cold - and I swear that she can fix a stare on somebody from like, literally any distance. And they would feel it like an ice cube down their neck. Which, I'll admit, is pretty impressive. Thankful she hasn't got her sights on me.

Though, the events of last week may soon bring down her attention. I was on another Russ mission and he wanted me to spray paint another weird symbol in her backyard, along an old stone wall. Long story short, she totally caught me, spray can in hand. Made me promise to do her a favor if she kept silent about it. Let's hope its something that won't need Russ's help.

On Ariana

Something about her just feels ancient. Like she's got this gorgeousness about her that would resonate at any time period. Classical beauty. She doesn't talk much, at least to me. But when she does, I listen. Russ never says anything when she's around too. Which I guess I should be worried about but... whatever.

It was actually really nice last week too, when she helped me out with some History homework. Russ didn’t make a peep. She was a bit weird about it though, kept saying how that wasn’t how she remembered it. I guess she took this class before?

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.
1. Marko: saved me from some bullies
2. Alanis: not telling about my nighttime adventures
3. Ariana: homework help

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Marko wants to make me normal.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 25, 2021

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
[Mr. Kelsey]

[] [] [] [TK]
[] [] [] []
[] [] [] []
[Marko] [Ariana] [] [Alanis]

Yeah no

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 31, 2021

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
T.K. Edwards

Heliotrope posted:

Why did Mordecai Cohen get in trouble for something you did, and does he know it was you?

Mordecai? Yeah, he really got into some serious poo poo when he drank too much at Chad's party. I was there after Russ told me to be, and of course he asked for something weird. This time, it was sneaking into Chad's parents room, plugging the bath and putting the tap on full. I snuck out immediately but I guess Mordecai tried to take some cheerleader up there pretty soon afterwards and passed out. Chad flipped the gently caress out when water started coming through the ceiling onto his beer pong table and I hear that Mordecai got beaten up pretty badly when they found him unconscious on the bed. Hell no does he know about it and he's never going to, either.

Heliotrope posted:

Why is Sally Wash popular around school despite being a nobody from the trailer park?

Uhm, you didn't hear? Sally might look like a nerd but she's in to some pretty crazy tech poo poo and smart as hell. The principal couldn't verify it, but pretty much everybody knows that she spliced into his start-of-school announcement to blast death metal while an animation played on the screen behind him of a cartoon bird taking a poo poo all over his prized convertible. She's keeping quiet about what her next prank is gonna be but everybody expects it to be epic.

Heliotrope posted:

What about Carlos Rivero reminds you of Jack?

Carlos was actually a pretty good friend of Jack back in elementary school. Not with me, but they were both on the soccer team and Jack would usually spend a week or two during the summer with Carlos down in Florida. Jack never really talked about it much, I think he felt bad that I wasn't a part of it. And then once we were all in high school, I guess they grew apart. Sometimes I catch him staring at me though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Marko looked like he wanted to rip out Billy's throat for a Hot second there...