Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

In my experience if there's a mechanic that people don't know and there's a wipe someone will just type an explanation into the chat before round two and then everyone follows the instructions and we clear the fight. Remember wiping on Cerberus and then three people gave a quick rundown on Adds, Belly, Chains in the alliance chat and the second attempt went flawlessly.

The only exception would be if you somehow end up with all sprouts in the instance. But then you get the fun of everyone working together to figure out what triggers the party wipe and how to avoid it. Regardless, if you tell people you're a new tank and that you're learning the dungeon they'll generally be chill about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Zurtilik posted:

Aren't there merchants that sell 'good enough' gear up to about level 40ish? Is that still a thing? Am I remembering wrong?

I'm in that weird spot where I played a bit, but like several years ago so I'm both as out of my element as a newbie and full of questionably aged wisdom.

You can buy gear at pretty much every level of the game that will get you through story content. If I want to buy a level 70 lance for my dragoon I can pop over to Kugane and buy one whenever for a pittance of gil.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I had no idea the scaling was that crazy - 20 levels is really the difference between 8 people struggling to finish and 1 person soloing it with ease?

It's more to do with the gear. If you get to level 70 and pick up whatever the endgame gear was at the time Stormblood was the most recent expansion, you'll massively overpower earlier content. Item level for Urth's Fount is like 90 or something but gear from Stormblood is going to go up to iLvl 400. Get to level 80 and you'll have access to iLvl 500+ stuff.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Piell posted:

You're about halfway to unlocking the location where you can pick up Machinist. You have finish the ARR at level 50 MSQ and then there are a couple dozen quests after that before it unlocks.

Eighty. Eighty quests between the end of ARR and Heavensward.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

There's a menu setting for making other player's numbers and effects smaller or off completely, or making yours bigger. Someone can probably link a tutorial or explainer for where to set it, can't find one right now and I can't log in to doublecheck where the setting is.

Yes, positionals are a thing, and the skill's info text will tell you if it does more damage either flanking or from behind. I believe positionals are only a melee DPS thing, an archer can stand wherever.

There's little arrows on the targeting circle that shows where the cutoff between front and flank is, and the rear is the open back part. And yes, LNC/DRG is going to be doing more single target damage but they have limited AOE options, especially at lower level.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm going to have to test this now, I could have sworn that the flanks were 90-degree angles.

Mister Olympus posted:

Flanks and rear are a mechanic for melee dps only. Flanks are indeed bigger than that drawing indicates, the hitbox is divided into quarters.

Ok interesting. Here's another image I found:

90% of the images I've come across match the first one I posted, but that might have something to do with FF14 having no real documentation and the fact that whenever you google anything about the game half of the links that pop up are from 2013. Maybe it changed at some point? Regardless, if I'm worried about positionals I try to never stand anywhere near the front anyways, I want to be at that back dividing point between flank and rear so I can reposition depending on what skill is next.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

If you're in Heavensward or Stormblood and thinking the story isn't good yet then you're playing the wrong game and I doubt Shadowbringers is going to bring about the epiphany you're hoping for.

If you're still in ARR then yeah ok that poo poo is slow and while some people think it's good I would argue that those people are insane.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The stuff you're interested in and the level of complexity you seem to enjoy isn't going to kick in until maybe post-level 50, and based on your posts I don't think you're going to enjoy much before that. And the game will never become the "well I'll just grind some trash mobs until I can do the content" because literally all the content is locked behind the MSQ.

So your options are 1.) suck it up and grind through the story (and if you have patience to just grind levels off of trash mobs I don't see how that's any less boring?) or 2.) find a different game.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah I thought ARR was slow at points but I was generally engaged throughout and would rate the whole thing a 6 or 7 out of 10 overall. If they're experiencing this much friction already this might not be the game they're looking for, and telling them it will click at this or that point might just be dangling some false hope.

Regy Rusty posted:

I mean I do think the game isn't for him, but he hasn't even gotten a chocobo yet which means he's not through the level 20 quests. That's super early.

I would argue that if someone is this miserable this early on then trying to play through the post-ARR content will literally murder them.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Brasseye posted:

Thank you! I'll get the starter edition for now and look at getting the expansion when I'm a bit higher level

The complete edition is on sale and only $4 more than the starter edition right now. Just buy that.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Theris posted:

Cool, but I've leveled 45 or so times getting better gear all the while and it's gone up maybe a couple points. GP seems to have gone up more but also not much. Am I missing something or is there a huge boost that happens somewhere between 45 and 60?

Just make sure you're using HQ ingredients when crafting, that'll usually get your meter up pretty high. But yeah there's a huge difficulty spike in the crafting requests around level 40 or so and I think the available gear falls behind a little bit. You could also try slotting some materia to get your stats a little higher if you think you'll benefit from some marginal gains.

Edit: on the questing/progression conversation, I just picked this game up a couple months ago and haven't finished the MSQ, so I'm hardly some veteran who has forgotten what the early game is like. While I'm on record as thinking ARR is pretty slow, I wouldn't make any drastic changes beyond maybe pruning a few more quests. I'm generally enjoying the way things are structured and the pace things are introduced at. But I also clear the entire map of side content at every opportunity so it's pretty clear this game is made for someone like me and not for someone who just wants to grind the latest savage-tier content or whatever. And I don't see why that's a problem? The game doesn't need to be for everybody.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 6, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

There's no way that the story is intentionally grindy to sell skips. I'm not sure I've heard or or met anybody who bought the skip and then stuck with the game. I know more people who think that ARR is good full stop than who skipped it and didn't bounce instantly off of ffxiv (that count is 0).

They were actually pretty open about why they were making it when they made it: they were launching the game in Korea, and in Korean MMOs those kinds of skips are so commonplace that the game would have felt feature incomplete to Korean consumers if it didn't have them. Once they were coded, no reason not to sell them in the rest of the markets.

I actually agree somewhat with the conolaibt that there's too much gating on the endgame, since endgame is also fun and much more social than leveling. But the idea that it's gated specifically in order to sell skips feels absurd.

If they're trying to sell skips they really hosed up by cultivating a player population that freaks out and starts berating anyone who wants to buy one

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah Dragoon is actually pretty straightforward, just start with your buff/bleed rotation, swap into your high damage rotation for a few cycles, switch back to the buff/bleed when they're running out, and weave in your jumps and buffs as needed. You can mostly use anything that isn't in your rotation off-cooldown and it'll do the job fine; yeah if you time it all just right you can set up windows where you do some crazy damage but it's not really necessary in casual content.

Here's a chart with some per minute action comparisons

Gunbreaker seems to be the most active tank class. Dragoon is about on par with a summoner. Black mages are lazy.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I like, in no particular order:

1.) the story/music/aesthetic
2.) playing pretty princess dress up with my lalafell
3.) being able to do everything on one character
4.) that the dev team seems more concerned with catering to casuals like me instead of a tiny clique of hardcore d-bags
5.) and, the clincher, that the community is properly moderated and thus isn't pure toxic rear end like many other online spaces

I also enjoy leaping off of cliffs with my dragoon in a middle of a fight, but I don't know if anyone I party with enjoys it

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

McCloud posted:

Hi, another question:

Glamour is the equivalent to wow transmog, right? IE you change the appearance of your equipped items to other stuff?

Is there a primer for how that works somewhere?

This is the vid I used to learn about it, I think it's fairly comprehensive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxIuKtfrAk

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Ouroboros posted:

I admit I find the whole dead eyed anime doll character aesthetic in this game pretty offputting, but I can deal with that; I knew it was going to be An Anime and that aspect of the game was Not For Me.

But honestly gently caress the Lalafels. There is something seriously upsetting about them, they make me feel vaguely ill

uh mods???

Super No Vacancy posted:

i promise you can like the game without liking tartaru lol

this thread is falling apart! *hammers report button*

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Mine was Ocob and then I changed it to Bobbycorwen. Kind of bummed you can't have spaces though, so I'll probably change it again. Was thinking Kwehtzcoatl.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

I'm on the trial edition rolling a CNJ, now WHM and having a blast. Does the complete edition go on sale often? I know it was on sale back in July. I'm definitely looking to get the full game at some point in the near future, but if it's likely to go on sale again soon I may wait and level some other jobs to slow down a bit.

e: Also I desperately regret not making a Lalafel, but I don't want to start entirely over at this point and still only have one character slot available on my realm.

I think it's been on sale a few times this year already, wouldn't be surprised if it went on sale again before Endwalker drops in November. And you get a free fantasia (item that lets you change race, etc) before Heavensward.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Unfortunately there are a small number of people who think they're being helpful or encouraging by trying to speed up the tank, when in reality it can cause some serious stress if the player already has a case of tank-xiety. Thankfully it's really uncommon. In 99% of the content I've been in people let the tank set the pace, literally following a half-step behind them wherever they go.

And in more good news, I've been playing for a couple hundred hours at this point and have yet to see anyone get even moderately salty over a party wipe. I know it can feel overwhelming sometimes but the players are overall quite chill and relaxed, and the consequences for failure are low to nonexistent, so don't be afraid to make mistakes or try out stuff that you aren't comfortable with. The stakes might feel high while you're playing but they are really about as low as they can get in an MMO environment.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

1stGear posted:

I don't think there's any direct spoilers in this post, but I'll tag the whole thing just in case. Its in regards to the Coerthas parts of ARR and the ARR > Heavensward transition:

Am I supposed to know what's going on in regards to the Ishgardians and Dravanians and so forth? I've got the general vibe that the two factions are war and there's some religous elements to it and all, but the specifics elude me. Which would be fine, except the writing seems to imply that I should have a better handle on the whole situation.

I don't want anything spoiled, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in all the sidequests I've been skipping.

Nah you're fine, you haven't been given all the history and backstory yet. You'll learn more as you go.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Never played FF14 before and decided to check out the free trial. I am kind of underwhelmed after 3 hours today of playing Archer. It feels like a bog standard MMO from ten years ago. I don't know if maybe just Archer sucks or the early game in general but this doesn't seem...fun. The global cooldown is obnoxious and you have almost no actual skills to use. A friend of mine say to play this for the story but there isn't much of one so far. I've mainly stuck to main scenario quests and the class quest stuff, just hit 10. I'm not sure I'll keep going but I wanted to post to see if this is a common thing. If it gets better, when? I don't want to dump like 100 hours into leveling to experience 4 hours of story. Is there a better class to experience the early game as? The game seems to gate a lot of stuff which is frustrating, many locked icons and "you can't do this unless you buy the game and all expansions" type stuff. Put your best foot forward and all that. Anyways any recommendations to spice this game up or is it just not for me?

What exactly are you looking for? What other games have you enjoyed? It would help to know what angle you're coming at this from. But some stuff:

1.) You'll be able to level solely by playing through the story. Side content is for leveling alt jobs and you never have to grind mobs.
2.) The amount of content available to you is about eighty hours or more of stuff. I'm not sure what you're doing to be running into stuff gated by buying the game, since the free trial is pretty expansive. What exactly are you hitting that's holding you up?
3.) All the early game classes kind of suck, you don't start seeing the toolkits open up until 30+ or even 50+. It gets more complex but it's a slow buildup, they treat every player like they've never played an MMO before (which is good because a lot of their audience hasn't).
4.) You've seen the first few hours of a two hundred hour JRPG. If you aren't engrossed by the story that's because you don't really even start the story proper until you hit level 15.
5.) This is not an MMORPG. It's a JRPG with MMO elements. If you don't like JRPGs you probably won't like this either, because it is one.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I'd say Heavensward is where the cool stuff you've heard people raving about really kicks in, so if possible you'll want to stick it out until then. You get hints of it in the base game, but it's that first expansion where things take off. Thankfully it's included in the free trial so there's no financial barrier with getting to experience that stuff.

And yeah, if you like JRPGs this is a great Final Fantasy game, it's just something of a slow burn at first. It goes places.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

angerbeet posted:

I don't know why there isn't a dodge button instead of the "run awkwardly away from the pain cone" system.

Dragoon has a button for this, but it usually just flings you off of a cliff.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Since free trials don't have access to the Market Board or housing they're effectively capped at 10, yes.

You can get a couple free ones doing sidequests in Heavensward but unless you're clearing the map you probably won't come across those.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm just hitting this point now, about to do ultimate weapon. I was looking forward to trying dark Knight and machinist finally but uhhh nope. Apparently there are 100 more grindy rear end MSQs in the patches to do before HW.

Some good news, it's only 80 quests. 100 was before they updated. Hopefully they pare it down further in the future.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I have unlocked Gunbreaker. Anyone have a good writeup or link on how to play the class? I read through all the ability tooltips and have a pretty good idea on the rotations, but reading class breakdowns helps my tankxiety.

edit: at least someone tell me when i should use superbolide. Should I set up a macro that smirks at the healer every time I use it?

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 16, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

The most Gunbreaker-specific tips I can think of are that Superbolide is completely worth using as an ordinary cooldown in dungeons. If you're doing a big pull you can just let your HP drop and use Superbolide, it's value. Beyond that, your rotation is based around No Mercy. You know how between every GCD, you can weave two oGCD abilities without clipping your GCD? When you initiate No Mercy, you want to do it in the second oGCD window so you can sneak an extra GCD into it. I'm sure you put it together for yourself, but you want to keep Sonic Break, Bow Shock, Gnashing Fang combo and Danger/Blasting Zone lined up with No Mercy. What may be less obvious is that you can interrupt your regular 1-2-3 combo with Gnashing Fang, and you can interrupt Gnashing Fang Combo with Sonic Break.

This is handy because it lets you almost bank a third cartridge for your No Mercy window, if it lines up: You can do something like Keen Edge > Brutal Shell (No Mercy) > Gnashing Fang > Sonic Break > Savage Claw > Wicked Talon > Solid Barrel > Burst Strike > Burst Strike

Once you get Bloodfest this is another way to take advantage of the instant two cartridges.

Cool this is useful info. Yeah I did the first class quest and was playing with the rotations a bit, figured out that the combos let me slot other skills inbetween. I'm a Dragoon main so that and having short enough animations that I can do two oGCDs between the GCDs is going to take some getting used to.

So for superbolide, just pop it when I'm taking a lot of hits on a big pull to preserve the rest of my damage reduction cooldowns? It said you resist "most attacks" on the tooltip so I think I was worried about some weird exception where you go down to 1 HP and then get one-shot because a random mob has some attack type that doesn't get resisted.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Leraika posted:

the things it doesn't resist are automatic party wipes and instakills like doom, not random damage.

As for when to pop bolide, I'd do it when you're about middling hp if you can; this is just from the perspective of a healer who's done The Benediction/Bolide Interaction a whole bunch.

Also, I'd suggest you make sure you're familiar with the other damage reduction tools GNB has available if you haven't played a tank before.

I use arm's length all the time on my Dragoon, but it's definitely going to take me some time to get used to the rest of the abilities and to remember to use them. My only prior tanking experience is in Overwatch, and that's a, uh, slightly different experience.

Making a note to try to use bolide early instead of late to spare the healer too much weeping over cooldowns wasted.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Grimoire posted:

Tanxiety chat: I wanna WAR (I am ready for carnage), but really really want to learn dungeons first, preferably via AI. About how long does it take to unlock squadrons, and can I chain dungeons with them?

edit: squadron command missions that is

Ranking up in the Grand Company to unlock squadrons can be done relatively quickly, just need to grind seals and work through the GC Hunting Log. It unlocks at Second Lieutenant.

Getting a squadron trained and leveled up to run Command Missions takes a little longer. Have to recruit enough members and get the ones you want to use to level 20, which takes a minimum of a week since they get the most EXP from going on missions and missions take 18 hours real time. So if you're minimum rank in the GC but did everything as fast as possible, I'd say probably 8-10 days to get squadrons unlocked and get a group up to the minimum level. Then you can use them to unlock Command Missions and start running Halatali and Thousand Maws over and over again with them until they get high enough level to go into more dungeons.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Update on tanking: I have run two dungeons. Superbolide hasn't killed me yet and no one complained at me, even when I forgot to turn tank stance on for the first pull. Mission success. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The game doesn't really demand that you keep your eyes locked to the screen all the time, especially once you know the boss patterns, so clicking the buttons instead of assigning hotkeys is perfectly viable. It's what I mostly do; I get lost if I have to remember more than a handful of hotkeys so I'll put one or two important combos onto keys within easy reach of my left hand and click on anything else I need.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I've only been to the Gold Saucer once, for one of the events, and I got some MGP from that, but I haven't visited it since, so I don't know the full extent of what you can do there.

Someone made a post detailing how to maximize your weekly MGP from the Gold Saucer. Here it is.

Short list of stuff to do: lottery (daily and weekly), minigames, more minigames (GATEs), Triple Triad, Chocobo Racing, Lord of Verminion (minion RTS battles), mahjong, and fashion report. The fashion report can give up to 60k MGP in a single go if the challenge that week is simple enough. There's a Reddit account that figures it out and tells everyone exactly how to maximize the reward for the lowest cost. But if you want to be lazy you always get 10k just for entering.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I don't have the ShadowBringer's custom deliveries unlocked yet, but I can confirm the rewards for the earlier ones are all the same. Same EXP, gil, scrips, etc. Once you have them all maxed you just want to pick whoever is offering a bonus and deliver to them.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I think I'm doing pretty good in regards to MGP so far. I wish I had got that 80 for the Lunar Culinary Fashion Report for the 50,000, but at the moment, I've got 81,000. Some of that is from doing the weekly challenges, though I've also been doing the GATEs, since they give you a few thousand MGP depending on your performance, and there's one every 20 minutes. Leap of Faith can be kind of nerve-wracking, but I've not had a death (where you fall into the abyss), and while I've only had one run where I've collected all the Cactaur Statues, collecting a few of them still nets you some bonuses. The floating platform one (Falling City of Nym) is honestly pretty easy, whereas the one with the catwalks and stone (Fall of Belah'dia) is a little more frustrating (fewer chances to fall into an abyss, but you have smaller platforms and what seem to be shorter jumps to deal with, so if you miss, you have to make your way back up, which can cost you time.

If you fall you just start over, and you keep any cactuars you've already collected. So don't be afraid to go for the tricky jumps.

For minigames, do the timber chopping one (I can't remember the name, some of the machines are near the Verminion tables). It's really easy and lets you knock out the relevant challenges in your log in just a minute or two.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 23, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Classes, crafting, and companies are the prime reasons why I'm thinking about going premium. I don't think I'm on a server with one of the Goon guilds, but it's part of the same group, so it would be a matter transferring. I've done the dungeons and trials (boss fights) with random people, though there's usually a long wait time (I'm guessing because most people aren't doing low-level content). Those only have four people for a party, but I assume late-game stuff lets you have more people in a group.

Your long wait times are because you're a DPS. You'll usually insta-queue if you go in as a tank or healer.

efb

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

So to clarify on this: Endwalker is 100% separate? This doesn't include it, and if I buy Endwalker, it doesn't include the prior stuff?

This pack does not include Endwalker.

If you buy Endwalker you'll get all the prior expansions, but you won't be able to access any of it until Endwalker officially releases in November.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

Right, I'm just questioning since the Endwalker page includes:

Yeah you'll need to buy the starter edition and end your free trial before you can apply the Endwalker code. Starter edition looks to be $20 right now. So buying the Starter Edition + Endwalker is $4 cheaper than buying the Complete + Endwalker, but you'd have to wait until November to access any of the post-Heavensward content.

efb

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Buying and installing the game is considered Savage Tier content, not every player is expected to be able to complete it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I think gathering up the aether currents is a little silly. Collecting a couple things isn't a big deal, but sometimes the currents are really out of the way and a bit obnoxious to get to. I think I might like it better if flight just unlocked with the last quest in a zone, which would still let them gate flight behind story progress but without forcing me to constantly be on the lookout for green swirls.

Alxprit posted:

Counterpoint: get riding maps so that your mount speed section can have lots of golden stars to fuel your number go up brain

I have to buy them all. it's a thing that gets marked off on a screen and thus I must collect it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Thursday Next posted:

I wonder why more people don't queue as tank??

The only time I've encountered outright toxicity was also targeted at a tank. They were single-pulling which made the healer get pissy and start mouthing off. They started running ahead to pull mobs back, and eventually just ended up sitting off to the side (literally sitting) while the rest of us fought. I told them to knock it off and they started reluctantly helping again, but it was really offputting to run into because of how positive my experience in the game had been overall. On the wholesome side, the tank thanked me for sticking up for them and gave me a commendation before leaving, so that was nice.

I've been tanking a little bit recently and haven't had anything toxic yet, even screwed up on pulls a couple times and caused a wipe, but in both instances everyone just laughed it off and tried again. But it still feels like it's just a matter of time until I run into someone like you did and it makes me pretty anxious about playing the role, so I find myself going back to Dragoon pretty often.

And thanks for reporting them, assholes like that get coddled in too many gamespaces online and need to be shown the door. Don't need players who go out of their way to make the experience lovely for everyone else.