Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bagrada posted:

Is there a good way to level your chocobo? Mine is at 8/10 1/10 1/10 and I'm 2 expansions in using it quite a bit.

Get to Shadowbringers. You get more XP at higher levels, and the total amount you need to get chocobo level 20 hasn't changed since ARR. It will speed up significantly there, and even more in EW.

But also don't worry about it too much, most of the upgrades are pretty marginal at best. The healing ones are decent for leveling at least. The tank ones are nearl;y useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cythereal posted:

What about crafting?

Crafting and gathering in FFXIV are classes unto themselves, with mechanics, quests, rotations, and even entire events and instanced content. I’m serious about the classes, by the way.

Botanist (BTN): Gathering class. Harvests wood, plants, and fiber. Unlocked in Gridania.

Miner (MIN): Gathering class. Harvests rock, ore, and gems. Unlocked in Ul’dah.

Fisher (FSH): Gathering class. Harvests fish and other odds and ends (seriously, FFXIV fishers go fishing in lava). Unlocked in Limsa Lominsa.

Alchemist (ALC): Crafting class. Makes potions and other consumables. Unlocked in Ul’dah.

Armorer (ARM): Crafting class. Makes heavy armor. Unlocked in Limsa Lominsa.

Blacksmith (BSM): Crafting class. Makes metal weapons and other odds and ends. Unlocked in Limsa Lominsa.

Carpenter (CRP): Crafting class Makes wooden stuff – bows, staves, furniture, etc. Unlocked in Gridania.

Culinarian (CUL): Crafting class. Makes food for buffs. Unlocked in Limsa Lominsa.

Goldsmith (GSM): Crafting class. Makes jewelry and other oddball items. Unlocked in Ul’dah.

Leatherworker (LTW): Crafting class. Makes medium armor and other stuff. Unlocked in Gridania.

Weaver (WVR): Crafting class. Makes light armor and other clothes. Unlocked in Ul’dah.

You should probably add a line to this section mentioning that each crafting class doesn't just make gear for a single combat role, like in WOW. Like armorsmith mostly makes tank gear, but they also make plenty of gear for the other roles. One of the most common questions I see in the main thread is "i'm class X, what crafting profession should I level?" and the answer is always "all of them", because crafting and gathering is its whole own system.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Was anyone around for the original Diadem that could explain what it used to be like? I get that it was a big world PvE zone like Eureka or Bozja but I don't know what actually went on there beyond that and I'm interested.

It was proto Eureka. There wasn't much to do except kill mobs for currency and aetherial gear (pink gear with random stats).

The second iteration had slightly more mechanics, including FATEs that were kind of like Bozja skirmishes. There was also a superboss FATE that could drop weapons that were potentially better than Alex Savage weapons.