Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Pryce posted:

Awesome OP.

This site has been my go-to since the game's launch for answering "How/When/Where do I unlock X system?"

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

There are a number of (optional unlock) things that are easy to miss, like non MSQ dungeons, Desynthesis, Dyeing/Glamour, etc. I've always made sure new friends have this page handy so they don't miss any cool unlockables.

Another useful item is Garlandtools.org. Basically anytime you see an item and wonder where to get it, or what its for, or how to make it, that's your go-to site. It has a bunch of other useful functions like showing you what the best gear you can get for any level is, and lets you make shopping lists for crafting. It also has timers for timed gathering nodes. You can also look up NPCs and see what they're wearing! It also links to the ffxiv.gamerescape site so you can find more information there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

We should also mention, you can switch classes after you queue, you just have to switch back to enter the dungeon when it pops. So you can do FATEs as a lower level job, or start crafting/gathering or just knock out some side quests to see some bonus story

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Is there a good WoWhead like site for FFXIV?

Also all this talk of cosmetics makes me want to know if there's a good way to peruse item appearances?

I like to use garlandtools.org for that kind of thing, but if you're looking for more in depth information about glamours Eorzea Collection is probably better.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Usually the explanation for your party will be in the description of the dungeon, but yeah, as the believability stretched, they just accepted it as Game Logic, and with Trusts being added to Shadowbringers, they really no longer needed to justify it in dungeons since the canon is you're going along with the Scions.

I remember the description for the Pool of Tribute has

"How fortunate that you had the wisdom and foresight to invite several of your fellow adventurers on this trip to the Far East, and how kind they were to agree to help you torment the Red Kojin, for no single warrior, no matter how blessed or powerful, could ever hope to slay a primal on his own, despite what some wandering minstrels would have you believe." (stormblood spoilers)

so after a while they just kinda use it as a running joke. I think they'll always mention something like that for raids and trials, since they probably won't do trusts for 8 or 24 man content

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

We've kind of always had interrupts in the sense that we had abilities that gave a small silence period that were basically only useful mid cast, but it's nice that it's actually mentioned now.

its actually kind of wild, compared with WoW where interrupting caster enemies to force them to melee attack for a few seconds so you can reposition them is actually important and commonplace.

it would be cool if FF copied the death knight's deathgrip. Just being able to move something directly in front of you from wherever it was would be so nice, especially in that last level 80 4-man dungeon

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Warrior's Holmgang used to do that in PvE and it still does in PvP as the ultimate 'get their rear end' move.

yeah but holmgang has a range of like 6 (formerly 3) yards. Death grip has like 20 yard range

edit: 30 yards!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

For people whose armory bags are full, there is a way in Character Configuration to put all new gear in your inventory instead of your armory chest. From there, you can right click it and send it to the armory chest manually if you want to save it, or keep it where you can see it so you remember to dispose of it (sell on market board, vendor it, trade it to your grand company for seals, trade it to an NPC for an upgraded version, etc.).

That way, you can save your armory chest for only gear that you use (just don't forget to move old gear out of it occasionally). I'm at work now or I'd post screenshots of where to find these options.

Just note that the "recommended gear" button won't notice stuff in your inventory.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Huh. Just noticed I have a Fantasia sitting in my inventory. Which begs the question: thread? What should I Fantasia to?

I kinda wonder what the shortest, most jacked roe would look like. I wonder how close you can get to "as wide as you are tall"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

idk, nobody told me I needed to be max level or anything. I played through 2.0 and liked it just fine, and this was ~6 years ago, before flying, quest pruning, and before teleport tokens for the Waking Sands. I just kinda took everything as it was and it was pretty good! The only time I considered buying a story skip was around level 65 or so, but then I got to a better part of the story and didn't.

If you think the story is bad and you just want to raid, you can skip it. But if its just going a little slow for you, skipping is probably going to be worse.

If you're sick of just grinding out the story quest, take a break and do something else for a bit. Level a crafter or gatherer, check out the gold saucer, maybe try out another job, if you're at least 50, maybe try putting together a party to do some extreme trials or coils or min-ilevel cape westwind.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 5, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I remember seeing one of the Stormblood NIN job quests talk about a forbidden fourth mudra and thought, "oh, that would be cool" until I considered what it would mean for my keybinds and muscle memory and YIKES

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

I wish they could just wrap up the 1-2-3 combos into one button like they do in PvP. They're just taking up real estate on my hot bar.

The only thing to come of them being separate is that I occasionally hit the wrong button and ruin it.

that would still have problems once you get Armor Crush, you'd have to be very careful to only hit the button exactly 2 times

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Regarding MCH: Is it worth spamming ricochet even when I'm doing single target? I know it does less damage but it seems to be off the GCD, so I can see some argument to spamming it still. Also, is it still worth spamming when I get into 'overheated' mode or should I just worry about gauss shots and heat blasts?

I like the way this class feels at ~50 and I'm worried about more buttons and how life will change. Help!

Yeah, spam Ricochet and Gauss Round on cooldown interchangeably. Heat Blast refreshes their cooldown so just hit whichever one is up. At higher levels you'll get another charge.

Fortunately MCH doesn't get a lot of buttons. Hot Shot turns into Air Anchor, and Rook Autoturret turns into Automaton Queen. The only new additional buttons you get from 50-80 are :

Tactician (damage reduction for the group for 15 sec. nice to use when you remember it exists),

Barrel Stabilizer (gives you 50 heat, same cooldown as wildfire, so you use this, then wildfire then start your heat blast spam and they'll always be off cooldown together).

Flamethrower (long channeled cone aoe. Just hit it and don't move, everything will probably be dead or close to it by the time this is done)

Bioblaster (short channeled AoE, puts a DoT on everything in a cone)

everything else is just upgraded versions of buttons you already have

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I am having a lot of trouble getting the hang of AST. We wiped once and almost again on Brayflox LDR with an all-goon group because I got all mixed up between dps and healing and I think I only managed to throw out like 4 cards.

Should I just practice in command missions or PotD until I have a better handle on things?

I have a 57 WAR and tbh I don’t make the best use of all my cooldowns there either…

Just remember that cards are oGCDs (off the global cooldown) and most of your spells are short enough to cast+draw, then cast+use. You also have Essential Dignity for emergencies, which is also oGCD and will heal about half a tank's full hp. Cards also aren't super important until level 50 so don't worry about not using enough of them, though drawing cards does give MP so try to do that whenever you can, since spamming Benefic 2 is going to eat a lot of MP quickly and you'll probably do a lot of that during some of those pulls in that dungeon.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 20, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tekopo posted:

The ARR extremes are doable even when using DF if you don't mind a couple of wipes.

but please don't use DF for extremes. Garuda is pretty easy but all the rest can be nightmares if you have say, a tank with all level 1-15 right side gear, or a RDM that only casts Scatter, or a tank that doesn't have Provoke or a healer that still uses Cure 1.

The accepted way to do extremes is to do a Party Finder. PF is under the Party menu and is super useful. Then you have a chance of getting people who already know the fight. If you want you can even set it to ONLY accept people who have done it already. You can also specify its a "learning party" if you're going in blind, or you can set it to "undersized party" and just look for a level 80 to solo it for you in under a minute. People are pretty nice, and will join unsync parties to help sprouts get the clear or farm mounts, or join in learning parties to help teach the fight if you want to do it synced.

If you're in an FC or novice network or like, Limsa shout chat, you can even link your party finder group to help get more people faster

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The healer should notice you getting farther away from them and pop sprint too. If they decide not to and let you die, just kick them. It's normal to pull 2-3 packs, so if you're sprinting through that and they're not, you are probably dead by the time they catch up.

In general, its the healer's responsibility to stay near the tank, in case they pull aggro with a heal before you stop, or the tank needs to duck around a corner to break line of sight and get a caster to come in close.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, sometimes people drop BLM circles or dotons or whatever if you stop pulling for 2 seconds, and then everyone's unhappy.
As a warrior, I tomahawk the closest enemy, then give them an overpower and run to the next pack. If the healer gets smacked once or twice that's fine, they'll live. I'll pull the guy off them when we stop because they should be right near me anyway.

Usually, healer aggro is caused by (when I'm healing) putting DoTs on everything while we run, and throwing a HoT on the tank, so its mostly my fault and also not a big deal

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

BLM mostly is the same from 1-60 where you just spam a lot of Fire 1 and Thunder, stopping to use fire 3 and thunder procs when you get them, until you finally get Fire 4, and then it becomes your mission to spam that as much as you can. but you can't spam it forever like Fire 1, so your whole rotation is just "Fire 4 + whatever you need to do to cast more fire 4s (use fire 1 to refresh Astral Fire, then regen mp.) You get some instant casts like Xenoglossy and Thunder procs and just throw them in where you can without dropping Astral Fire.

The biggest change while leveling is when you get Umbral Hearts at 58 and now your AoE rotation lets you cast an extra Flare which is sick as hell, especially once you get triplecast at 66 so you can flare, flare, mp potion/Manafont flare. If you have both manafont and an MP potion, you can burn swiftcast to get a 4th Flare. If you started in ice and set up AoE thunder, you probably have a thunder proc by now, and then at 70 you get Foul too. At this point, the pack is probably dead, especially if you dropped leylines. IMO BLM has the most fun AoE rotation by endgame.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I kind of wish some classes had buttons you could press when you got synced down to 50. They don't even have to do anything. I just want to press buttons.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

One thing I've seen is that moogle weapons always sell for like 200-300k, and the materials are pretty easy to get. If you can solo Thornmarch Hard, you can desynth the weapons that drop until you get moogle demimateria, whatever its called. Those are worht 50-60k each and moogle weapons need a few of them.

Also, Peacelovers' attire coffers have been selling for like 2k, but the pants that come out of the coffer are worth far more than the coffer they came in. I have no idea why this is still the case, but people fuckin love their ripped hippie jeans. Just buy coffers, put the pants up for sale, vendor everything else.

There are plenty of craftable housing items that sell for more than the materials are worth too.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

The MSQ will vastly overlevel you if you're only playing one class, but also doing things like LDR/numbers even just every so often. It's usually pretty easy to fully level two classes to 90 off the MSQ alone just by swapping back and forth on quest turnin. If you're really zealous with roulettes and take your time, you can probably get 3 classes from 0-90.

yeah, this is pretty doable, but for 3 classes you might just need to do your daily leveling roulette every day

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, there are apartments available, or if you're in an FC that has a house, you can get a room of your own there.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Frida Call Me posted:

with really squishy tanks you can go OOM on WHM in 40-50 dungeons just spamming cure II. it's okay to use cure 1 if you're under 2000mp.

Yeah, I was running a bunch of aurum vales as all the different healers, and going from AST to WHM SUCKED. You can run yourself dry on MP very quickly spamming Cure II, but you also have to do that because tanks don't know they NEED to hit their "don't die" buttons because we're synced to 49 and all healers get their "heal more" buttons at 50.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

HW is just “you thought the cut up ARR zones were too small? Try this.” and now please fly to the corner of the Western Highlands or figure out where in the hell in the Sea of Clouds you need to go.

At least elevation markers exist now.

StB and on zones are much more manageable in that they are larger than ARR zones but don’t feel a pain to traverse even flying.

Yeah, but then again, they also like to do that thing where "this half of the zone is 5 levels higher than that half" so you have to beat the expansion before you can get flying anywhere, and all the FATEs that are active are too high level for you to do. (I like to level dps by just grinding fates for Shared FATE, since I'm going to do it anyway, might as well not waste all the XP you get from it. Also bicolor gemstones are $$$).

I get that it makes sense to stick a little endgame content in each zone, and I know its not EVERY zone, but I liked how in HW you could get flying a little bit early and actually use it for a little bit before going to the next zone.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 30, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Let's see, I think that would be The Peaks, The Fringes, Yanxia, Kholusia, Amh Araeng, Labyrinthos, and Thavnair?

yeah, it was pretty bad in Stormblood. Those zones are like 75% of the game. I forget how long it took to get flying in the ruby sea, but that didn't matter so much since you could use flying mount speed under water.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, I think after 2.0 the meanings of each marker stop changing, and they just add new markers. Generally, a circle with pulsing arrows around 1 person means stack. Eye symbol on something means "do not look at this thing". A couple times those are combined so you'll see a stack with a gaze attack indicator (eyeball) over the middle person, that just means "stack but look away from the target".

If you see a stack marker, but its been stretched into 2 parallel lines, that means its a line up stack, instead of a circle stack.

Red, downward pointing triangles over people's heads (commonly referred to as doritos) mean "stack with at least 1 other person with a triangle or Bad Stuff happens

Arrows pointing outward from a target indicate a knockback effect

Those are the big ones, if there is a marker over your head and you don't recognize it, and the content is above level 50, you can probably safely assume its Bad and get it away from your party.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Novice network can be helpful. It helps to have a few mentors that are online a lot so they know who keeps coming in just to troll. The one on Coeurl isn't too bad but idk about the rest of Crystal.

Sometimes I think people take it a little too far with sprouts though. Like people making a big deal out of anyone but the tank pulling because the tank is a sprout. Or yelling at tanks for pulling normally because the healer is a sprout. Or not criticizing dps for clearly being afk.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Montalvo posted:

Hi friends, picked up the $20 starter edition on a whim last night and rolled a conjurer (want to be a white mage) on Goblin last night. I have no idea what I'm doing but the game is fun. My in-game name is Amalas Jandelaine.

Welcome! At low levels, the game is largely single player, and basically everything is gated behind the main story quest, so you're going to want to focus on that (quests with meteor icons, instead of the normal "!" markers). The main story will also give you a ton of XP so that you'll be over-leveled most of the time. If you look up when things unlock, it all goes by the level of the quest you are on, NOT your character level.

being over-leveled isn't a bad thing, but if you want, you can can level a 2nd job after finishing the level 10 story quest. Healers are pretty easy to level since you can just run dungeons because you get near-instant queue times, whereas dps jobs can wait 10 minutes to get into a dungeon, so if you want to try one of those then you can get most of your XP from main story quests since you only get to do that once. The main story gives enough XP that you can level 2 jobs at once by just switching between them for quests.

Since you can have every job on 1 character (changing your weapon changes your job/class), don't be afraid to try out anything that looks interesting!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Leviathan just takes forever, even if you do infinite damage. there is just so much downtime with phase changes and waiting for dragonkillers to charge and stuff.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, its usually a good idea to have 2 classes going through the main story, that way with just a little bit of switching, you will have 2 max level jobs when you get to the end

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm also not sure if it counts materia. It seemed to have trouble deciding between my level 80 pentamelded crafting gear, and my level 90 triple melded crafting gear that has higher stats, but fewer stats. For example my 90 stuff will have more CP and Control, but my 80 set has some Craftsmanship too. It will equip the lower level stuff that has more melds and lower base stats. I'm not sure what its metric for "better" is.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Awesome! posted:

the scrip gear doesnt even have materia slots. landking stuff should get you to the 80 scrip gear though.

and that 80 scrip gear is still pretty good at 90, of course if you do any endgame crafting you're going to need gear with materia slots that can hold the level 90 materia

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Burt posted:

Newby questions.

How do I make money and get some gear at low levels? I am level 35 on my mage and I'm still in level 15 gear because [1] you level so insanely fast on preferred servers the reward gear is 10 levels behind you & [2] I have zero money. I bought some white gear off a vendor and basically struggled for bus fare to my next mission. I am not too proud to buy poo poo off the store and sell it.

Is doing damage really so easy? It's like I have got to level 35 with zero problems just spamming fireball thingy until I run out of mana, hitting the button that turns my thingy from red to blue, then spamming snowball until all my mana is back then rinse repeat. It's can't be that simple surely.

Also healer mage? stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2 "throw mend on tank if he needs it" stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2stone2?

It's not like I am complaining but coming from WoW where I had like 90 buttons to press makes me think I am missing something.

First thing, is get 1 or 2 retainers from the NPC near the market boards. You can buy "ventures" to pay them from your grand company for seals. Retainers are basically your bank, and they are how you sell stuff on the market board. You can also give them gear and send them out on missions, and they sometimes bring back rare things that you can sell for a bunch of gil. Also, just throw whatever random junk you find on the market, someone will probably eventually buy it. A lot of random things that end up in your inventory are crafting materials. Starting a gathering job like Mining or Botany can make you some gil too.

Well, sounds like you've got Thaumaturge down. At level 30 you'll get some more buttons, and then at level 45-50 you'll get a chance to use a big instant nuke, and then at 50 you get a huge AoE nuke. At level 60 you get a buff to keep up and a bigger, slower damage spell so the challenge is to move as little as possible. This game was kinda designed as "babbys first MMO" so its a little barebones until 50, but then it takes off after that. The GCD is a lot slower than WoW's, but you'll get a lot of off-GCD skills to use between GCDs so it can get just as busy.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

You don't have to get ninja's opener 100% correct either. As long as you hit as many long cooldowns as you can during the window that mug and trick attack buffs are up, you're doing most of your damage. Just practice on a dummy a few times until you can do your opener without stopping and going "poo poo poo poo poo poo what comes after Dream Within a Dream". If 1 of your Raitons happens just after the buff falls off, you're only losing 5-10% damage on 1 attack

Just remember that you want to cast Suiton on the pull, you want to have Kassatsu up while you're running at the boss, you want to start your 123 combo, and then you want to use trick attack + potion, part 2 of your combo (mug, bunshin), and remember to use your ice shurikens before Kassatsu falls off. That's the most important part. Also get TCJ in there. Use Raiton + raiju and Bhavacakra to fill in the rest of it.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 26, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Here's the "learning fights as BLM" experience

https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-03-2014/PxY0bq.mp4

(pretend there's a fire 4 cast bar that gets canceled after 1.5 seconds there)

Once you've learned the fight so that you can do it in your sleep it feels awesome... but then you have to learn the next fight all over again and I found out that almost none of the skill transfers between fights.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, DRK just have less buttons to hit, and also the job is designed to appeal to the kind of player least likely to hit their buttons. Basically, just blow any healing cooldowns you have and you'll still end up raising them as a melee dps tanks the last couple trash mobs still up

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like the Endwalker dungeons have pulls big enough for a non-WAR tank to lose their HP bar 3 or 4 times per pull though. 5 or 6 for DRKs. Like im out there popping Synastry and spamming Benefic 2 (pop Earthly Star) (celestial Intersection) Benefic 2 (pop macrocosmos, celestial intersection) Benefic 2 (Essential Dignity) Benefic 2 (Essential Dignity, Lightspeed) Benefic 2 and then using all my ogcd AoE heals and there are still like 3-4 trash mobs up

The trash after the first boss in Tower of Zot will absolutely murder tanks that don't use cooldowns

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Wiping in an alliance raid is actually kind of a novelty now. Usually for that to happen you need a bunch of mechanics to basically only target sprouts, so then its a rite of passage/Valuable Learning Experience, so its at least kinda funny.

Like on the last boss of Syrcus Tower when all 3 people marked with the stack marker panicked and ran from the group so a bunch of people don't make it to the floaty circles and the earthquake kills like half the raid

or people marked with shadow orbs on Dun Scaith running to the healers for help

or the newbie tanks on the last boss of Weeping City trying to be helpful and spinning the boss around

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How do other male Roe people resist giving them MST3K names?

like, I was making my character and my brain just kept going

https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/Dave_Ryder

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Why would you want to resist that? No shame in playing SLAB BULKHEAD.

oh I couldn't resist, so my character is named PUNCH ROCKGROIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

You can get garlean-looking armor (law's order set I think?) from doing Delubrum Reginae in Bozja (level 80 relic weapon area), but it's not dyeable until you do DR Savage.