Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

petcarcharodon posted:

Bring them along while leveling BLU, because chocobo XP is based on your XP, and BLU gets massive amounts of XP from overworld mobs

I thought they changed that awhile back to make it so that Chocobos get normal XP for your level even if you're leveling as BLU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

Don’t buy relic stuff as a trial, doubt you can even see them until you’ve unlocked that step, anyways, but that’s end game grind for fashion, not at all something a new player should be side tracked into doing since the weapons are all garbage stats.

But more importantly just don’t do the ARR zodiac relic weapons, full stop. It’s the absolute worst grind you can sign up for, I did one when it was current and I still haven’t finished a second despite having multiples of every other expansion relic.

I feel it's at least worth doing the first two steps of the Relic Weapon quest in ARR for a few reasons.

1) You're going to need to run Garuda, Ifrit and Titan Hard modes at some point before the end of 2.55 anyway; might as well get something tangible for your efforts.
2) You get a nifty glowing weapon for glamour.
3) You get a cool title.
4) You get the Chimera and the Hydra added to the Trial Roulette.

Anything beyond Zenith is up to the player's discretion, but I would recommend holding off on finishing out a Zodiac relic until you're at Shadowbringers endgame levels and need something to do to kill time before Endwalker.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Just did a dungeon and my pals killed the boss while I was in cutscene land, sorry guys.

Lemme guess - the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak? That's one of the more infamous ones due to the extremely lengthy cutscene preceding the final boss the first time you run it. It's fairly common for a group of veterans rushing through it to get it over with (because let's be honest, it's one of the worst early dungeons in terms of overall design and flow) to not realize they've got a sprout stuck watching the cutscene up on the cliff when they jump down to start the fight.

Either way, don't stress about it - the story is the whole point of the game, and most groups will usually apologize once they realize their mistake, or at the very least not make a fuss about it since people who've run the dungeon before get some bonus rewards if there's at least one person doing the dungeon for the first time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is the 30% exp earring still available as a purchase? The internet is telling me it was a pre-order bonus for Shadowbringers, is there any way to get it in game?

There's a new one, Menphina's Earring, which is available as a pre-order bonus for Endwalker. But as for the Shadowbringers one, no, that one is unobtainable if you never pre-ordered Shadowbringers as far as I'm aware.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Well, I hit 30 on my Conjurer and I am about to start the white mage quest. For the most part, I have been enjoying it enough that if it gets as much better post-ARR as people are saying, I'll end up playing a lot.

Pro-tip, before you equip your White Mage job stone, head back to Gridania and pick up a quest from Braya in the Conjurer's Guild called "Unicorn Power." It'll give you a free mount upon completing it, but the quest can only be done as a Conjurer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

how many things like this have i missed not sure I’ve ever gotten a mount from a random sidequest

This is pretty much the only mount that I'm aware of that comes from a random sidequest, though there are a few minions in ARR that come from sidequests like this.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zutaten posted:

Not as cool as a mount, but after you get Summoner/Scholar to 50, take off your job stone and go back to the Arcanist trainer for a little quest to invent a brand new red carbuncle and learn how to turn your primal egis back into carbuncles.

You don't need to take off your job stone for this.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Regarding the content that was trimmed in 2.0-2.55, in addition to whole quests being removed, there were also quests that were left in the game, but had a bunch of useless filler cruft removed to improve the overall pacing. One of the most notorious of those being a quest where you were tasked with splash an angry drunk with a pail of water to cool him off.

In the old version of the quest, you accepted the quest, then went behind the building where the quest giver was, right clicked on an object, then waited for a cast bar to fill to pick it up. Then you had to walk over to a nearby river, and once again, click on an interactable object with a cast bar attached to set the bucket down in the river. Then you had to right click it again, with another cast bar, to fill it with water. Then you had to right click it again, with another cast bar, to pick it back up. Then you take it over to the drunk, and use the bucket one more time (with one last cast bar) in order to throw it on him. I can't remember if the quest also had you return the bucket to where you got it from, or if it just let you turn in the quest at that point, but either way, it was a huge waste of time.

In the new version of the quest, you accept the quest, receive a key item from the quest giver, go over to the drunk, use the key item, then return to the quest giver and turn in the quest.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

What should I be spending company seals on? So far I've just been getting a decent stockpile of glamour prisms with them.

Venture coins for sending your retainers out on Ventures.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Onean posted:

If you buy the game through Steam, you actually have to use it to pay for your monthly subscription. You can't go through any other method.

This isn't true. I play the Steam version on PC, and I was able to set up my account on the Mogstation to just pay Square-Enix directly via credit card without using the Steam Wallet thing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

Do the Grand Companies really matter much after ARR? I know they have a few benefits into higher levels, but like are they ever part of the story or give any gear that goes beyond ARR?

Outside of certain NPCs affiliated with your GC referring to you by your rank in dialogue and cutscenes, no, they don't really factor into the story.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

On my main server:
Khamsin (Othard Blue)
Myrgansunn (Rose Pink)
Charakha (Royal Purple)
Janremi (Gloom Purple)
Monsoon (Slate Grey)
Mistral (Apple Green)
Jetstream (Snow White)
Sundowner (Dalamud Red)

I also have an alt I made on a different server to attend a friend's wedding that I named Companion Cube, so naturally I had to name his chocobo Chell.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cool Ghost posted:

I'm coming back to the game after making a character back in 2017. Are there any goon/goon-adjacent FCs on Malboro or am I SOL?

All the US goon FCs are over on Primal, on Excalibur. Crystal has goons scattered about the data center, but no goon FCs exist there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Are the ARR ones just okay exp? Because I’ve been going on a bender leveling up all the crafting/gathering jobs.

Speaking of, any tips for leveling fishing?

The ARR ones are designed around the idea of you having to wade through a sea of hostile mobs to get to where your quest objectives are, then wade back through all the respawned mobs once you've completed your objective. So the quests themselves reward rather paltry experience because they expect you to be killing a bunch of stuff along the way.

The HW and onward quests are designed to scale to the level of the job you accepted the quest on, and reward a big chunk of XP appropriate to that level when you turn them in.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The stuff leading up to the fight against Titan is nowhere near as bad as people here give it credit for.

The corrupted crystals bullshit right before Garuda is the worst part of the ARR MSQ.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

If I remember right, I think I did a good chunk of my Blue Mage levels from 40-50 doing the ARR Beast Tribe dailies. Yes, the quest turn-ins themselves aren't worth much, nor were the FATEs I had to do for some of them, but since most of the quests required me to wade through tons of hostile mobs and flying in ARR wasn't a thing in those days, I figured, "Why not? This way I get Blue Mage leveled up and get these quests knocked out so that I have full access to the vendors and get to see their stories. Win-win."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Just to make sure I’m not missing anything, there’s no way to turn regular versions of gathered materials into HQ versions, right? Like, not even a terrible conversion rate of 20 regular ore for 1 hunk of HQ?

Nope. You can lower HQ items down to normal quality, but not the reverse.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Is there ANY level range where combat leves are remotely worth it?

They can be useful for helping to push a job to level 16 so that you can start running the Leveling roulette.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Are the relic weapon quests actually important in any way or is it exclusively optional? Getting base-grade Thyrus was annoying enough and already laughably outdated when I finally got it, and you're saying there's more and WORSE? :stare:

They're all exclusively optional, as others have said. They're basically just there to provide an excuse if you want to remain subscribed during the content lull between the last content patch of an expansion and the release of a new expansion. That said, yes, the ARR relic weapon can get a bit onerous at times to upgrade, especially if you're on the free trial and can't access the market board or get to level 80 to just solo most of the content required.

Here's an overview of each of the steps:

Base Relic
This requires completing the quest "A Relic Reborn" for whichever job you want to do it on. You'll be sent to retrieve a key item from an area full of level 41+ mobs in one of the ARR zones; then you'll need to acquire a weapon that's crafted using an item drop from the level 50 dungeon "The Wanderer's Palace" and meld two specific grade III materia to it; then you'll do a trial fight; then you'll have to run the dungeon Amdapor Keep; you'll then be tasked to slay 24 mobs from the area you retrieved the original key item from (eight each of three specific mobs) using the unfinished weapon; then you'll do another trial fight with the unfinished weapon; then you'll need to run Ifrit (Hard), Garuda (Hard) and Titan (Hard) in that order; and then finally you'll need to trade an item purchased with poetics to finish off the quest.

Zenith
This is literally the easiest step of the entire relic chain. Trade your relic weapon and three Thavnairian Mists to the Furnace in Hrystmill in North Shroud, and you'll get an upgraded glowing version. Thavnairian Mists can be purchased for tomestones of poetics, and it's generally worth it to just grab them when you get the other item you needed to finish off the previous stage.

Atma
This is where it starts to get grindy. For this step, you need to acquire 12 Atmas, one for each sign of the Zodiac. These drop from FATEs in 12 specific ARR zones - Outer, Upper, Middle, Western and Lower La Noscea; Eastern, Central, Western, and Southern Thanalan; and North, East, and Central Shroud. The Atmas can drop from any FATE in the zone, regardless of level. You don't need to have your weapon equipped to get the drops from the FATEs, but you do at least need to have it in either your inventory or your armory chest; your chocobo saddlebag does not count. The drop rate is estimated somewhere around 25% per FATE, from what I've read online. Sometimes you'll go into a zone, do a single FATE, and get the drop immediately; sometimes you'll spend around an hour grinding FATEs with nothing to show for it (at which point you might want to double check to make sure you're in the correct zone to get a drop). It's time-consuming, but overall not egregiously onerous to do this step.

Animus
AKA "the book step." Hell begins here. For this step, there are a series of nine books that have a series of tasks for you to complete to power up your weapon. While the specifics vary from book to book, each book follows the same basic format - kill three each of 10 specific mobs out in the world; run three specific dungeons; complete three specific combat levequests; and complete three specific FATEs. Each book costs 100 tomestones of poetics to purchase, and you can only have one book at a time, meaning you have to finish your current book before you can move on to a different one. Note that a few of the FATEs required by some of the books will have a prerequiste FATE that needs to be successfully completed before they'll spawn. This is where most people tend to lose steam if they started their relic back when they finished the ARR MSQ, and it's all right to just put it on the back burner and come back when you're level 80 and can stomp a mudhole in all the content needed for it.

Novus
AKA "the materia scroll step." Still with us? I admire your conviction! The first part of this stage requires creating a special scroll, using items purchased for poetics. Once that's done, you'll need to start infusing the scroll with materia of grades I through IV. This is a bit onerous because there's no vendors in the game who sell or trade grade I, II, III or IV combat materia. Meaning your only real options for acquiring it is to either buy it off the market board or make it yourself through spiritbinding low level gear. Also, you can't just skip straight to grade IV materia; you HAVE to go in order from I to II to III to IV for any given type of materia. So how much materia will you need? At least 75 pieces. I say "at least" because it's possible for the infusion to fail and the materia to be destroyed as you imbue more and more of a given type and grade into the scroll.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! In order to even imbue the materia into the scroll, you need a special material called Alexandrite. This material can be acquired in three different ways. It has an EXTREMELY LOW drop rate from FATEs in ARR zones. It is absolutely not worth grinding for this way. The second method is to purchase it from the Hunt Billmaster in your Grand Company's HQ. One piece of Alexandrite costs 50 Allied Seals, which are acquired from killing Hunt marks, or from participating in Blue Mage content at levels 50 and up. The final method for acquiring Alexandrite is through Mysterious Maps. These are similar to normal treasure maps in that you'll need to track down a hidden coffer somewhere in the world, dig for it, then defeat a bunch of mobs that spawn when you attempt to open it. This is the best method, because each coffer has 5 pieces of Alexandrite in it. Mysterious Maps can be acquired once per day for free from a daily quest in Mor Dhona that requires you to run the Level 50/60/70 Dungeon Roulette; you can also buy them for Tomestones of poetics. You can carry up to three maps on your person at one time; one in your inventory, one in your saddlebag, and one deciphered in your key items. You'll need a total of 75 pieces of Alexandrite to compete this step, one per successfully infused materia; thankfully, failing to infuse a materia into the scroll only consumes the materia and not the Alexandrite.

Nexus
AKA "the light grind step." If you're still with us, congratulations, there's only three steps left! This next step is mostly just time-consuming. You'll need to infuse souls into your weapon by, in theory, running a wide variety of ARR content. I say "in theory" because the most efficient way to do this step is to either run Syrcus Tower over and over again, or run Sastasha/Tam-Tara/Aurum Vale unsynched over and over again. Those give the most light per time invested ratio out of any of the other possible content you could be doing for this step. Syrcus Tower gives either 96 or 128 points of light per run, which Sastasha/Tam-Tara/Aurum Vale give 48 or 96 points per run. If you're also working on a ShB Relic that is at a stage where you can run Syrcus tower for that, it's probably best to do that grind so you can knock out both at once; otherwise, Sastasha/Tam-Tara/Aurum Vale will probably be faster overall, especially if you're running them solo at level 80 since you can knock Sastasha or Tam-Tara out in under 5 minutes per run, or Aurum Vale in around 2 minutes per run. You'll need to infuse a minimum of 2000 points of light into the weapon to complete this step. Don't worry, it'll be extremely obvious when you hit that threshhold, so you'll know when you can stop.

Zodiac
AKA "the worst step." Okay, this is the point where the kid gloves officially come off. Personally, this is the stage that I feel to be the most hellish of them all due to what it entails, but your mileage and brain worms may vary. Not only is this stage time-consuming, it's also resource intensive. You're going to be spending a LOT to complete this step. This stage requires you to complete four different quests. Each quest has more or less the same objectives, it just has you complete them in a different order for each quest. But for each quest, you will need the following:
  • a vendor item purchased for 100,000 gil
  • a bombard core, which can be purchased from your Grand Company quartermaster for 20,000 GC seals. You will need to be at least Second Lieutenant Rank in your Grand Company to purchase these. Hope you've been keeping on top of that.
  • a bottle of sacred spring water, purchased for 200 tomestones of poetics
  • four key items acquired from running four specific dugeons. These are automatic drops that you get upon exiting the dungeon, so don't fret about running around trying to actually find them in the dugeon or in the treasure coffers. Oh, and one of the dungeons you need to run for this stage isn't available until about halfway through the patch 2.4 MSQ, just in case you were for some strange reason waiting to progress the MSQ until after you've completed your relic weapon (please for the love of all that is holy do not do this if you value your time and/or sanity).
  • two specific high quality crafted items.
Those crafted items are the worst part of this stage. To begin with, they require you to have access to the Master Recipes I book for each of their respective crafting classes (and yes, you'll need one item from each of the eight crafting classes). Further compounding this, each item requires a special material that can only be acquired by desynthesizing specific vendor items that are available for 3000 gil each from the Silver Bazaar in Western Thanalan. These special materials are not a guaranteed drop from desynthesizing the items. It is possible to burn through thousands upon thousands of gil trying to get these drat things to drop. It's the worst part of this entire stage, especially if you've made no effort to engage with the crafting system before this point, because it means you'll either need to have a friend or FC mate handle it for you, or hope to the Twelve that you can find them for cheap on your Data Center's market boards (they will not be cheap; whether they'll be cheaper than trying and failing to get the desynthesis drops on your own is an exercise I leave to the reader to solve).

So to recap, that's a total of at least 400,000 gil, 800 poetics, 80,000 GC seals, 16 dungeon runs, and 8 HQ crafted items that will cost you at least 24,000 gil and probably way, way more than that.

gently caress this stage.

Zeta
AKA "the victory lap." Congratulations, the end is in sight! You're almost finished, you just have a wee bit more light grinding to do, and then it's over. For this stage, you will be attaching twelve Mahatmas, one for each sign of the Zodiac, to your weapon and imbuing them with light, similar to the Nexus step. Thankfully, this grind takes nowhere near as long to complete. Each Mahatma costs 50 poetics to purchase, and requires 40 points of light to fully charge. Running Sastasha or Tam-Tara will give you 24 points of light, or occasionally 48 points per run, and Syrucus Tower or the World of Darkness are guaranteed to get you a minimum of 48 points per run.

Once you've finished the Zeta stage, you're officially done with the weapon. The weapon itself can't be stored in your glamour dresser unfortunately, but take heart! Once you've completed the weapon, a vendor in North Shroud will sell you Replica versions of the weapon and all of its previous stages (including the unfinished version of the base relic if you wish) that have no stats, but can be stored in the glamour dresser and used to set up glamour plates.

And that's all there is to know about ARR Relic weapons! :unsmigghh:

TL; DR - do the base stage and the Zenith stage to get a title and a cool glowing weapon for glam purposes, then skip the rest until you hit end game levels and can ruthlessly crush the remaining steps under your godlike heel.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 8, 2021

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Alxprit posted:

wait so how do I get the level III materia using skybuilders scrips?

According to Garland Tools, Skybuilders Scrips can be traded for Brass Sky Pirate Spoils, which is an old, deprecated currency from the previous version of the Diadem before it got reworked for the Ishgardian Restoration. And according to Garland Tools, Brass Sky Pirate Spoils can be traded for combat materia of grades III, IV and V, but I can't for the life of me find out who makes that particular exchange, so it's probably no longer in the game.

I've updated the guide to mention that you can only get grades I-IV either by spiritbonding it yourself or buying it off the marketboard, since as far as I can tell there's no way to trade for it like I thought there was. This will teach me to be more thorough in my research if I ever do a write-up like this again.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 8, 2021

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Algid posted:

The sky pirate NPCs are still in housing districs and next to the Ishgard airport I think?

Yeah, but I checked, and those NPCs only seem to trade for crafting materials, no option for materia.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, the Zodiac stage isn't bad. You should have enough tomestones and seals to buy everything just from playing the game to that point, and the goon guilds are all full of crafters who can poo poo out the crafted item without too much trouble. It's really a pretty easy step, imo.

Tomestones aren't the problem for that step. Seals are problematic depending on how much time and effort you've put into ranking up in your Grand Company. If you're already Second or First Lieutenant when you start this step, you shouldn't have any issues. If you haven't bothered with your GC since unlocking it in the ARR MSQ, you're in for another long grind to get caught up on it. Assuming you're starting from Private, it's 27,000 seals just to get to the point where you can turn in dungeon drops for GC seals, then another 27,000 seals to get to the point where you can actually buy the bombard cores, and then the cores themselves are another 80,000 seals.

As for the goon FCs being full of crafters who can knock the HQ crafted items, that's great for the goons who are on Excalibur and the Primal data center. For those of us on Crystal, Aether or one of the EU/JP centers without a centralized goon FC, not so much.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pobrecito posted:

So when I said earlier I got my ARR relic and the grind wasn't that bad I lied. I only had the first step where you get the actual relic. I'm now grinding books. This is pain.

As I said:

W.T. Fits posted:

Animus
AKA "the book step." Hell begins here.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

As someone who came to FFXIV from WoW, learning that all I had to do to fly in any given expansion zone was track down and right-click on 10 swirly-dos and then do 5 quests (at least one of which is usually part of the MSQ) was nothing short of mind-blowing for how little it asks of you compared to the bullshit WoW forces you to go through to unlock flight in each expansion.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Frida Call Me posted:

:yeah:

If you never get any aether currents you can get every single current and do every sidequest for currents in two evenings, max. Shortest amount of time to fly in WoW is like a month-long reputation grind with minimum 2 hours of dailies.

Two month-long grind. ActiBlizzard very deliberately designs the flight rep grinds in such a way that no matter what, it'll take you more than a single month to complete them so that you're forced to stay subscribed longer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

McCloud posted:

How does the Fashion report in gold saucer work?

I understand that the clues get posted on a tuesday, and the judging begins on friday? Do you have from friday to tuesday to be judged on your outfit then?

Correct, you have until the reset on Tuesday morning of the next week to present yourself for judging, and you can try up to four times.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hoboskins posted:

I started playing this (my partners suggestion) as something to do during lockdown I am noticing that without trying I am massively out levelling the MSQ without really doing any sidequests or extra content unless it unlocks something important ( I am getting road to 70, ring bonus and the odd bit of rest xp). I know level sync happens during story events do dungeons do this too?

Yes, dungeons will scale you down to the appropriate level so that you're not grossly overpowered for them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Algid posted:

Teleport tickets are still the most superior form of travel and the best use of allied seals. I use them on anything over 150g.

Which is why those are getting nerfed when the gil cap on teleporting is removed. They said they're going to limit how far you can teleport for free via tickets.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I was doing Qarn a couple days ago as a tank (leveling up my Warrior, my lowest level remaining job) and died at one point and the healer was like "what happened" and I wasn't sure how to respond since the healer just wasn't healing enough (but I don't pay enough attention to what other players are doing to know exactly why his healing output was so low; he was an Astrologian). Actually had a few other close calls where I only survived due to cooldowns (which are significantly easier to use ever since I started playing with controller and no longer have to press awkward things like "shift + 7" or whatever; I actually regularly use all of them now).

So I just said "don't know." I gave them a commendation at the end just because, by making a mistake, they made me notice them. Kinda wish I had noticed what exactly they were doing wrong so I could point it out, but my gameplay will probably never be at the level where I can keep track of what other players are doing (beyond the most obvious stuff like a tank not getting aggro on something).

Was it during a trash pull immediately before or after the first boss? If so, you probably got hit by one of the bee mobs casting Final Sting. Always prioritize killing those things first if you see them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of Qarn: I know it doesn’t matter in the long run, but what do you put on the scales to unlock the bonus chamber right before the final boss?

fLame on the Left, fRuit on the Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Algid posted:

does that room even give anything anymore? I think all damaged -> vintage crafting components got dumped into that vendor in bronze lake.

Yeah, there's still some normal loot in there now in place of the old damaged stuff that used to be in there.