Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

It might be worth including that the quest "My Feisty Little Chocobo" becomes available at Level 30 MSQ and completing that quest will allow you to summon your chocobo to fight alongside you, and you get to have it learn various healer, tank, and damage abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Since you can't use the market board as a free trialer, but you can level up crafting & gathering, you might become interested in crafting gear for yourself.

If so, you can check out http://ffxivteamcraft.com/leveling-equipment and then you can see what gear for your job you can use at each level and how to craft that gear.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

The Gil wealth required in this game is attainable. Highest tier Gil bought set in the game only costs like 600k to build. The explicit vanity Gil sink mount is 25 mil, but all the high end unlocks are only about 6 digits big.

Income is a steady stream maintained through participation in many rituals. One ritual I do is I take my tomestones to idylshire to convert them into UnIdentified Ores, then take that on over to the next lady to turn it into Grade 3 Thanalan dirt, that can be tossed onto the market board. Supposedly they are used to grow onions that over level your chocobo and my brain falls out exploring the rest of the supply chain.

ffxiv teamcraft has a tool that will look at your server's marketboard data (provided by the universalis website, which aggregates player-provided marketboard data) and look up what you can get with a selected currency and how much you might be able to sell it for https://ffxivteamcraft.com/currency-spending

While this might give you an idea of what you could earn, remember 1. the data is player provided so its possible to be manipulated, so it's good to check the market board yourself and 2. check the sale history to get an idea of when/if your stock will sell at a given sale price

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Found on reddit this infographic on the various XP bonuses

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just watched someone win the Slice is Right while spending the entire final round disconnected lol

GS Event effects will only affect you if you enter the event the effects are part of. That means if you get on the main event stage, manage to stay on and don't leave the platform, nothing further will affect you. You also won't win anything for "surviving" these events because you didn't enter them.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

If the person interested in crystals is on free trial then they don't have access to owning housing or free companies, but if they have a friend who owns a house they could be a tenant and work the garden

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

If I were to enter this PvP Frontline thing for the levels could I AFK and enjoy the XP or would I get banned or something.

:chloe:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Saxophone posted:

For example, squadrons looked like a super neat system, but when I asked about getting them going I got a lot of "lol squadrons" as feedback. I'm still going to mess with it later, but it would have been nice to know it wasn't particularly useful to me at the moment.

Personally I think squadrons are worth the effort because you can get into dungeons up to level 60 as dps without waiting in queue. You can buff them to do about 50% more damage than players while doing these dungeons, and you can also send them out to get consumables that buff your MGP gains.

But I understand I have more completionist tendencies than most :kiddo:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Pug Rodeo posted:

Thanks to the many who suggested pugilist for those coming from WoW who thought combat was a little slow. Coming from many years of enhancement shaman and then havoc demon hunter, this is much more in line with my play style than the lancer/dragoon path I had been following.

now you can be Pugilist Rodeo :pram:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

It is always funny though when you get players who didn't get the message and gripe at you for doing DPS instead of overhealing. My favorite was a red mage who, after I ignored them, took to vercuring the tank every time they dipped below 80%.

they sure owned you by letting you do more dps that'll teach you :newlol:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Speaking of healer questions... healer peeps, when is a good time for a dancer to pop theirs so it won't be wasting your work/wasted by your work?

If you're dealing with trash mobs or "ordinary" boss situations just use it (it's an aoe heal, right?) as soon as you can find 1 or 2 other people who would benefit. Against bosses that do occasional partywide damage, you can delay doing it until just after the partywide damage hits.

When in doubt you could just hit it every time you're hurt enough for it to not overheal and its available and you'd be more helpful to us healers than 99% of dps

ninjaedit: yes if you're fighting a boss that sets hp to 1 or requires a full heal definitely save it for that lol

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

My free trial buddy found out that he can't play in PVP while on the free trial. This was news to me and apparently there's a "temporary" restriction preventing it that has been in place since February. I don't think I've seen that posted anywhere so it might be good to add to the OP.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Mainwaring posted:

I was nervous about PvP because I saw there were loads of different skills and I was nervous about fitting them on my crowded hotbars. But are you saying that the hotbars are completely separate so that's no issue?

Yes, when you spawn into PVP areas, your hotbars are replaced with PVP specific hotbars. That's why I recommend going over to the wolves den to get your hotbar situated before you queue up for frontline.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

I don't think I was even aware you could name your chocobo...

Don't you have to name your chocobo in order to use the whistle?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Choco bar but I'm gonna rename him at some point, dunno what yet

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Genovera posted:

The main part of mana management is to just make sure you use your lucid dreaming early enough. It restores over a 21s duration so you can use it pretty early to get the cooldown going.

I want to emphasize this - for those who haven't tried it, hitting it as soon as you dip below 3/4 is far, far, far more effective than waiting until you hit 1/4 for example.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Aurum vale is secretly the best dungeon because you can let the babies hatch and get enormous gobs of xp for zero additional effort.

Shame about that first room though.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

sailormoon posted:

I was a dummy and bought the story + level skip a long while back but want to view the story now. Should I reroll or just watch some YouTube videos?

I've never done new game plus mode but it's meant to allow people to enjoy the story over again. have you tried that yet?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Here's an infographic about all the different sources of XP bonuses:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

In terms of post-game SHB progress, if everyone just made it back to the Source,, how much more game is there?

Also as a WHM I think my biggest guilty pleasure is popping enormous full-party Cure IIIs. It's useless 99% of the time but occasionally after a stack marker or if the whole group is melee you can get everyone in its radius and heal tens of thousands of HP in one go :shepface:

a similar feeling for AST is when you have a bomb about to bust and you get a stack marker that you can lure everyone into it with :science:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

for me, comets are things u hide behind, meteors are the radiating aoe markers. this is coming from playing mh:w before playing ffxiv seriously

and the circles that blow up if nobody's standing in them are towers (even if no tower is visible)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

not mine

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Most aoes in savage raids (at least the ones ive done) are untelegraphed or have a sub-one-second telegraph duration

edit: and by telegraph i mean floor telegraph - there is often (though not always) an animation or cast bar text that you can infer your role in the mechanic resolution from

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 22, 2021

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

the level 60 dungeon ARF is also good if you dont have access to eureka. "ARF til you barf"

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Howard Beale posted:

I've just done Castrum Meridianum and the Praetorium for the first time and all I'm going to say is even though the battles are a stupid breeze I really hope they don't come up on roulette

There's an entire separate roulette called Main Scenario for just those two with big rewards for having to sit through the many cutscenes. It has nicknames like "youtubes" and "netflix" for obvious reasons

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Picayune posted:

I'm trying to do all the command missions with my AI squadmates and I've hit a wall that I'm not sure how to break down. In The Wanderer's Palace (Hard), the first boss throws these fire spears onto the ground, and I just can't figure out how to get my little squaddies to switch focus to them fast enough. Since I'm a tank, I can't really beat them down quickly enough on my own; eventually there are three or four spears inflicting burns on us and we all go down.

I tried looking at some videos to see if I was missing a tactic and I didn't see anything. Do I have any options here besides 'run the dungeon as a DPS, do all the beatdowns personally'? (Well, okay, and 'run the dungeon with other players, give up on the squaddies'?)

I also had this problem and eventually gave up on this particular one.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

parasyte posted:

The annoying bit is that unlike some other consecutive solo duties, you have to do the whole drat thing over again if you lose in the last half. Almost every other solo duty instance will save your spot.

my friend died at the end of the the instance duty required to unlock the bozjan southern front and had to do the whole thing over again :nutshot:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I know at 90 it's best to infuriate and consume the nascent chaos outside of the inner release window, in order to increase the # of attacks that are guaranteed direct crits all other factors being the same.

I think that's still the case at 80 as well.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Thats why I do "/a hey, adventurers, do the chains" to make sure I call out the whole whole group to ensure that someone does it

serious post: if you're resolved to tell someone specific to do it, you might as well narrow it down to the 6 healers, or the 2 healers in C if you're really particular, as nobody has anything to do but do DPS while waiting for the chains to resolve. The healers will be grateful for an excuse to take a break from malefic/stone/whatever spamming.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 10, 2022

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

derra posted:

Drag the Xande clone to one of the sides so DPS notices at least one set of portals.

If you are targetted by an Atomos, jump off voluntarily to dodge the vacuum and stun.

oh I like these

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've seen chain failures when someone's trying to be cute and hold onto the chain for the maximum amount of time before Cerberus recovers. And then the chain resets and they lose it as he wakes up.

This is the only way I have seen chain failures, and it happens frustratingly often.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

a generous main tank in p3s will hold the boss north and turn it diagonally so that a border between flank and rear is within melee range from the very center of the arena, for the times where the party can/should stack up there. Reduces the likelihood of bizarre tether wrangling anyway.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I got the souped up AOE and single target Ninjutsu for NIN, but I keep wasting Kassatsu on Raiton because they upgraded the mudra combo I never used. :argh:

It's cool that there's finally a reason to use ten jin/chi jin but yeah it definitely takes some muscle memory retraining :shobon:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I'm expecting real stack mark indicators on the final fight of syrcus tower.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Frontlines has evolved to the point where half of each team is now Summoners and expect to have three Bahamuts dropped on your head at any given time.

If you ever wondered what its like to be a primal on new catbook day, frontline is the place to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I like "from the first"