Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Awesome OP.

This site has been my go-to since the game's launch for answering "How/When/Where do I unlock X system?"

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

There are a number of (optional unlock) things that are easy to miss, like non MSQ dungeons, Desynthesis, Dyeing/Glamour, etc. I've always made sure new friends have this page handy so they don't miss any cool unlockables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

cams posted:

makes sense. i was planning on waiting for the next sale on the complete edition to buy in, but their strategy of having the servers so flooded that free trial players straight up cannot even queue up to join is effective at making me want to buy it now.

I don't want to sound pessimistic here, but you just missed the sale on this from a couple weeks ago, and it's unlikely to come back until next year (after the new expansion has launched). They typically do it every 6ish months. https://isthereanydeal.com/game/finalfantasyxivonlinecompleteedition/history/.

That said, if you do wait till next year it'll probably be updated to include the new expansion in the pack as well at some point (vs needing to pay another $40 for it).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

cams posted:

this person tried to trick me into buying the game at full price! the complete edition is currently on sale for 60% off! everyone should buy it!

i'm not gonna redeem my code until i hit 60 or the end of main story content, but i immediately bought it in case they "sell out" again

Yep, I got completely dunked on by Square. I even figured with the population boom they wouldn't dare to put it on sale right now! Shows what I know.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think im about to reach stormblood because im going full psycho mode on the story quests but those are some good suggestions. I keep seeing people talk about relic weapons and raids i dont know about and stuff like that so i always wonder if theres anything worthwhile im missing

"Relic Weapons" are the intense grinds of every expansion; while they do give high-level weapons, their grinds are extremely long, in return for something that's only barely higher ilvl than regular weapons you get elsewhere.

That said, relic weapons look loving Awesome, and as you upgrade them further they look cooler and cooler, so it's typically something folks work on in their off-time when they have nothing urgent to progress towards. The later expansions add entire new zones with new mechanics that you go to in order to work on your relic weapons...I'm not a huge fan of it but I usually poke my head in when I've got nothing better to do.

Typically they'll 'nerf' the grind a bit for older expansions so that people can go get their sweet cosmetics more easily, but they're still pretty time-intensive to take one from start to finish.

Then again...they look loving sweet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOAUemiJ2Ic&t=222s.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Then this may not be the game for you. The story is a huge draw of FF14. Not the only draw but a very big part of it.

And continues to be with every expansion. On launch me and my friends usually split off to do story solo and then group up for each dungeon before moving on. Generally you plan to "meet up at endgame" each expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

It's such a bizarre choice. Why on earth make a game an MMO if you're going to do this? Single player games can do this so much better, making an MMO is a trade off where you knowingly sacrifice certain aspects of play so the game can fit around the always online world constraints. Why impose those constraints on your game then not take advantage of any of the potential of the medium? I mean I know some people play WoW basically exclusively solo, but I've never understood why or what they could be getting out of it. I'm utterly baffled that the game is set up like this, I'd never even considered it could be a possibility that I wouldn't be able to level with friends in an MMO.

Didn't huge sections of Legion require you to leave your group to do your class story? Doesn't Shadowlands do something similar with the faction choices?

Yes, FF leans much harder into it because it's a Final Fantasy game, but let's not pretend WoW allows 100% pure group experiences just for the sake of winning your argument.

I'm very sorry this isn't the intro experience you wanted; I really do think if you can push through it to the endgame you'll experience some of the absolute best group content in any MMO.