Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Also make sure you always have your chocobo out when 6.0 drops. It's bound to jump a couple levels just from doing all the normal expansion-launch stuff and clearing out sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

The Gil wealth required in this game is attainable. Highest tier Gil bought set in the game only costs like 600k to build. The explicit vanity Gil sink mount is 25 mil, but all the high end unlocks are only about 6 digits big.

Income is a steady stream maintained through participation in many rituals. One ritual I do is I take my tomestones to idylshire to convert them into UnIdentified Ores, then take that on over to the next lady to turn it into Grade 3 Thanalan dirt, that can be tossed onto the market board. Supposedly they are used to grow onions that over level your chocobo and my brain falls out exploring the rest of the supply chain.

If you have a house and a botanist at 60 or so, the rest of the supply chain isn't bad, since it's only HW items and back, and onion prices are fairly stable due to a couple RNG layers in the gardening.

Bonus for having a miner retainer at 50 to keep a steady stream of your own thanalan soil for ventures.

The market might crash, though, between farm islands presumably giving non-homeowners access to gardening mechanics, and the vague possibility that you can harvest Thavnairian Onion seeds in Thavnair itself when 6.0 rolls around.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 20, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Sometimes the other adventurers canonically don't exist for a fight, sometimes they very much canonically do. There are some future story duties that make it clear that WoL could, in terms of narrative, solo most primals.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I'm going to say that in the long term you'll make all your money back on crafting, but that you can also do so in the short term by timing it well. I had 25m on me from saving up without crafters, blew most of it getting them up to speed in 5.3 while the market was at its low point, and made all of that back and more from starter sets in 5.4 launch.

Crafting also severely cuts down on your repair bills, and completely removes any cost for getting the starter raid gear, something you'll be doing three times an expansion at most (less if not always current, but even if you don't raid you'll probably find yourself wanting a piece here and there).

The big money sink is also in gearing them when they're max level, leveling them itself is primarily just a time sink.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 29, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Nothing is going to really come together as a job until 50, if not 60. 14's APM ultimately ends up a little higher than WoW's, I believe, but it takes a long time to ramp to that point because 1-50 is meant to introduce people to a hotbar MMO from the perspective of a turn based RPG.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

So if my friend and I can't level through the MSQ what can we do to level? And how can we unlock the stuff that is gated behind it without spending hours doing it alone?

FF14 considers itself a Final Fantasy game before it’s a MMO - all the side content extends out from the story established in the MSQ, and exists both to keep the story going and to be game content. Leveling outside of MSQ is going to leave you with almost nothing to do because everything unlocks through it, afraid to say.

In my opinion the best way to play with friends at first is to go through the story at your own pace and treat it like a book club thing with a small group or a community or something.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

That honestly sounds terrible.

Ah. I was led to believe this was roughly analogous to WoW, I guess I was misinformed. It should probably mention in the 'switching from WoW' part of OP that this is a completely different genre of game and not to bother though.

It's extremely analogous to WoW once you've unlocked all the content, it's just that all the content exists both for the purpose of being content and for developing the story

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

On some level, it being a final fantasy is part of its business model. Before Blizzard got increasingly on fire, the way FF14 stayed competitive in the MMO market where WoW towered over everything was by being a FF game and drawing in that fanbase.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

acumen posted:

You could theoretically just level to 80 running the first dungeons over and over again if you really wanted to (and are insane probably?) but the point of FFXIV isn't getting to max level, it's to play through the story.

i mean, this could be disputable. when i first signed up my goal was to raid, and that remains my primary activity, but paying attention to the story and doing side content HAS kept me engaged with the game at points where i otherwise might have quit.

so rather what i'd say is that it's totally valid to have whatever goal in the MMO so long as you accept that the story is a component of anything you want to do. with that in mind it's a little more open, in the sense that the theme park that is ff14 has a LOT more rides open at one time than the theme park that is wow, but the lines are longer, except the lines also have story bits in them like a lot of rides now do but some people would just rather without

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 1, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

To be honest I just don't feel like FF's combat has that. It's not bad, it just lacks that polish and fluidity that makes it really click. Maybe that will change when I get access to more abilities and complete rotations, but I feel like its something so elemental that I would have felt it by now, it's hard to put into words I guess.

I would say 14 has this but it’ll never be present in the bear-asses portion of the game. There’s a reason that 14 raids are only the boss arena and no trash at all; it’s that’s because bosses are way longer and way more coordinated with player toolkits.

This is an interesting talk to have in this thread, in any case, because it is hard to give a full picture of the game experience without a lot of detail on what people are interested in.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

A Moose posted:

its actually kind of wild, compared with WoW where interrupting caster enemies to force them to melee attack for a few seconds so you can reposition them is actually important and commonplace.

it would be cool if FF copied the death knight's deathgrip. Just being able to move something directly in front of you from wherever it was would be so nice, especially in that last level 80 4-man dungeon

It was important once upon a time in 14 as well but they phased out effects like that

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Character settings -> UI settings -> HUD -> uncheck "display Pop-up text"

Damage is keyed to certain points in an animation but as long as you hit the button the damage will go off. The “disconnect” is an irrecoverable artifact of 1.0 being weird and the whole system of animations.

Flanks and rear are a mechanic for melee dps only. Flanks are indeed bigger than that drawing indicates, the hitbox is divided into quarters.

You’ll probably outlevel dungeons unless you keep multiple jobs up during your main story experience, but the gear progression at each former level cap is intact, so while you’re going through the level 50 patch content you’ll be working through 2.x gear progression until you break into heavensward, even if you hit 60 before being done with that patch content. No future expansion has such a wide level and ilevel range as 2.x though, so generally once you’re going 50-60 then 60-70 and so on gear will gradually upgrade.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 3, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

Wait so is this true for ALL raids outside of the most recent one? Or just like old content from previous expansions? I thought one of the big things about FF was that all the old raid content was still relevant and actively run, is that just purely for cosmetics or can you get relevant gear / character power upgrades from them too?

E: Well just saw a bunch of people have answered that for me while I was typing. That kinda sucks, that doesn't really sound much different from wow tbh :( I have zero interest in cosmetics.

Correct, this is true for everything outside the most recent. FF14 still works on justice/valor points, and valor will always get you gear that's 10 ilevels behind the current raid--and even then that's just at endgame. Anything from a previous tier or expansion's max ilevel will be trivially obtainable.

The FF14 raider mindset is generally that doing things for the challenge is its own reward, which is why the highest possible achievements for a raider come from content that is permanently synced to the ilevel when it came out, and only ever rewards titles and cosmetics.

I will say, for the wow players worried about no M+ - honestly ff14 HAS challenging small group content, it's called raiding. 8 people on a team is a way different dynamic than 20 or even 10.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

that's actually a great point and I'm not at all sure why they're so adamant about that style when they could just add more interesting stuff to 1-50. For the record, what you're running into is something established in HW onward, where the 1-50 experience is free game to have skills rearranged and taken out from, but after that point, every class mechanic and ability that was introduced in an expansion, has to stay in that expansion, at the level where you originally got it.

This makes a little more sense starting from Stormblood on, in my opinion, because Stormblood is where Ultimate difficulty started, and they have to at minimum keep everyone's toolkits roughly equivalent to where it actually was at level 70 if they want that content to continue to make sense, since Ultimate is supposed to both be the hardest content possible and it has to always be pegged to the item level that was current for its patch. The Heavensward dark knight problem, however, is a lore issue, but one they have trouble fixing, since it stems from the decision to tie the job story of dark knight itself into where the plot is at the point it becomes accessible, and to a place that you can't access earlier on, for separate lore reasons. There's no real lore reason why you can't have things like blood of the dragon in 1-50 however, for non-expansion jobs.

As much as it hurts to suggest spending money, for everyone like that friend stuck outside of their ideal job, there is a way around this - you can buy a level skip for a job that you don't have access to yet, and it will work. Cold comfort, though.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 6, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Going back to the example of Dragoon even, you have 18 abilities (not counting role skills) spread across 60 levels. Currently, this is one every 5 levels from 1-50, and every 2 levels from 51-60. It really does make me wonder what the hard part is of changing this to a straight one every 3 levels, at all. Job quests don't necessarily need to be evenly paced now that you have the little alert when they're available.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

For the record since squadrons are adjacent to it, I made a big effortpost in the cousin thread to this one in the WoW forum about the history of ff14 dungeon design that might be relevant to players hitting each expansion in order

Mister Olympus posted:

The arc of what a dungeon 'is' in FF14

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Pug Rodeo posted:

Thanks to the many who suggested pugilist for those coming from WoW who thought combat was a little slow. Coming from many years of enhancement shaman and then havoc demon hunter, this is much more in line with my play style than the lancer/dragoon path I had been following.

conversely, i went from ret paladin in wow into dragoon in 14 and everything made total sense, just only at the level 60 range (in 2016, granted)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah if they ever do that, it'll be in the same siloed-off limited job space as Blue Mage is. Jobs you can do current content on are all very tightly tuned in relation to each other, which has the upside of there being practically no anti-meta stigma on playing something, but the downside of not remotely having the weird tools and unique flavor of any given WoW spec.

That said, it is quite likely that Beastmaster will be the next limited job so if you're interested in doing old content in a weird new way, hey

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Tanks in this game have a similar problem as healers, in that dungeon gameplay, raid gameplay, and difficult raid gameplay are all three completely different games that need some adjusting to.

In a dungeon, you pull big and put up defensive cooldowns two or so at a time in order to mitigate the constant stream of damage.

In a normal raid, that constant stream doesn't exist. Instead you have occasional large chunks of damage that need mitigating, but those often aren't relevant enough to bother that much with after a certain gear level.

In savage and ultimate, cooldowns are used on a rotation similar to DPS abilities, since boss autos will start mattering again (to varying degrees), and the big tank-specific chunk damage has to be respected.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

(though finding the NPCs you need to talk to among the 50,000 other names floating on the screen is kind of annoying)

there is a keybind for this! (in, of course, the keybinds menu)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the glamour dresser is fixed in size, but when they figure out some sort of code optimization generally they pay dividends by increasing either inventory or dresser space

when hovering over an item's tooltip, look at the name for a second. the name will change between what the item actually is and what it is glamoured to

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

So is there just a long dry stretch with the main story EXP-wise after you finish the original campaign? ‘Cause I’m only getting 4K exp per each step of the MSQ right now.

yep! this was all content created when level 50 was the cap and there was no exp reward associated. unless you do a lot of roulettes, your level won't move until it should be moving again at heavensward.

e: with this in mind, and the interesting series of posts in the main thread, i wonder if an effortpost on the history of how ff14 content patches has gone is warranted. it's an interesting paradigm because even from the very beginning, the ethos of a constant three-month content cycle, with certain fixed features that will always be in a corresponding-numbered patch, was where their design intent was from the beginning. but so much has changed within that structure!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

something you have to keep in mind from a wow perspective is that everything in ff14 is tied to its physical animation. you can't start up a new global until the ogcd has finished its animation. this means that, for something where the total time of (castbar+animation lock) is greater than the gcd, you've clipped and the gcd isn't constantly spinning.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

gcd animations can be cancelled by ogcds, and there is a skill buffering window, so you'll most often find players hammering keys to make sure everything is queued asap. this is also why macros are bad - they ignore queueing and wait for the entire animation to move on to the next thing in sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFTY54h7-E

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

-good mixture of evergreen content and new challenges; the attitude towards raiding isn't anything mandatory and doesn't try to be an esport, just a skill challenge

-the layers and layers of story all connecting to each other and paying off in unexpected ways

-no fomo content

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Chocogno

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

nordichammer posted:

What is the short ranking for complexity from most complex to least complex jobs?

in general:

caster
melee
ranged
healer
tank

in specific:

black mage
ninja
summoner
monk
samurai
dragoon
red mage
machinist
bard
dancer
astrologian
scholar
white mage
gunbreaker
dark knight
paladin
warrior

everything can flip a couple places up or down depending on what specifically is hard for your brain to get around, and what level of content you're doing (healers get harder as the game gets harder), but i think this is about right

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I’m kind of wondering that myself.

Like, I dig Samurai starting out, but my impression from looking at the ability list is that you basically have to be using two hotbars simultaneously to manage both resource gauges.

jobs in this game fit within 3 hotbars, no more. sometimes less, but the exceptions are primarily ranged. a couple have a little TOO much space such that you can't hotbar mounts and potions and poo poo but that depends on if you have an mmo mouse

e: new page quoting myself on job difficulty-

Mister Olympus posted:

in general:

caster
melee
ranged
healer
tank

in specific:

black mage
ninja
summoner
monk
samurai
dragoon
red mage
machinist
bard
dancer
astrologian
scholar
white mage
gunbreaker
dark knight
paladin
warrior

everything can flip a couple places up or down depending on what specifically is hard for your brain to get around, and what level of content you're doing (healers get harder as the game gets harder), but i think this is about right

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 18, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Piell posted:

Dancer and Machinist should be much lower on the list, they are pretty easy

i would be inclined to agree with you because i hate cast bars, but i'm being very general and taking a broad view of difficulty, i.e. machinist is the 'hardest' ranged because it has periods of extremely high APM and a stricter rotation, and dps are categorically 'harder' than healers because of how little actual healing healers will have to do in story content.

tankbusters are a good example; they might as well not exist for 90% of all content in this game because normal-mode tankbusters are tuned such that they expect you to be able to take them raw.

you would have to make a completely different list per-fight when you get into savage or ultimate.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

But at the same time, it’s much harder TO gently caress something up as a tank/healer because so very little is asked of them in story content. I’m not taking tanxiety into account because it’s a phenomenon people either can get over or they just never play tanks.

Honestly you might make a separate list for dungeons, then speedrunning dungeons, then normal raids, then alliance raids, then any of the alternate difficulties

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 18, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Piell posted:

Nothing is asked of DPS either generally in story content.

At the same time, optimizing a dps can be done to a much greater extent than optimizing a tank or healer in story content, as most of those toolkits for optimization are simply overkill, whereas there is no such thing as “overkill” for dps where you can absolutely overheal or overmitigate.

This is a good demonstration of how subjective these lists can be but I’m definitely thinking from a standpoint of what buttons at which time. If you aren’t taking that into account you could say all jobs are the same because they all have the same success in story content from hitting only their combo starter or only their aoe heal.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Do you guys think it would be better if Third Eye / Seigan / Merciful Eyes weren't in the game and Samurai got a bigger mitigation on a longer cooldown like Shade Shift instead? I know using Seigan is better than using Shinten if you have unavoidable damage coming but it does seem like a finicky optimization and I don't have the Savage experience to know how often you actually survive something as a SAM because of 10% DR.

Yes, i would gladly flex to samurai for savage if this was the case and I have a feeling that’s coming in endwalker

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

shoc77 posted:

Is there any way to avoid these kind of spoilers other than completely abstaining from looking up FF14 stuff which would mean I would have to finish up to SB before even daring to do another search like that again?

probably for the best, yeah

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Not just 1.0 but different, earlier visions for the game in 2.x. At some point, cross-class skills were considered a selling point and something that would be developed with future jobs starting from the existing classes like arcanist.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the inn room sleeping animations were a specific 1.0 thing that got used for prophetic dalamud dreams iirc

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Tortolia posted:

The above is an excellent recap of why Zenith is easy and worth doing for glams and titles, and maybe not touching anything beyond that!

it's super inconvenient for glams though because the replica vendor doesn't actually unlock until you've done at least one zeta, so you have to separately manually apply that when you get every new weapon, and remember to keep it around

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Cure III does feel like something that should be scrapped or retooled even if it isn't as technically useless as, say, Undraw.

This is kind of a problem with healers in general. They get no concrete benefit from using all their kits to the fullest for the vast majority of content, where tanks and dps do, then for a slim amount of time in early prog savage and if you break into ultimate, suddenly you DO need to use everything to the max.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I still think the change to new classes post-Heavensward is a bad thing because it means classes' opening quests can no longer be tied to the story of new areas the way that DRK, AST and MCH are to Ishgard.

samurai is still pretty tied to the story of kugane

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Find friends who need an injection of poetics and do it unsynced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

there's a catboy dating a potatoess in the culinarian quests, give it time (?)