Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

bagrada posted:

Is there a good way to level your chocobo? Mine is at 8/10 1/10 1/10 and I'm 2 expansions in using it quite a bit.

Bring them along while leveling BLU, because chocobo XP is based on your XP, and BLU gets massive amounts of XP from overworld mobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
BTW you should maybe add to the descriptions for SAM, RDM, GNB, DNC, reaper, and sage that you unlock them in Ul'dah, Ul'dah, Gridania, Limsa, Ul'dah, and Limsa respectively. Also, instead of FULL GAME I'd probably specify you need Shadowbringers or complete.

petcarcharodon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 15, 2021

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought they changed that awhile back to make it so that Chocobos get normal XP for your level even if you're leveling as BLU?

Oh my mistake I thought they just reduced it on BLU but actually they increased it on every other job

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Yeah mine was capped before it was fixed so I wasn't entirely sure how they fixed it

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
iirc they've mentioned before that the way they designed dungeons they'd have a lot of leftover ideas and those ended up recycled into hard mode dungeons. Now they've streamlined development a bit and they don't really have those leftover ideas anymore. There isn't really any staffing or budget problems with the game, you can see the credits getting longer each expac and every patch has had more actual assets than they used to.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
PVP is largely an artifact of PVP being linked to your grand company I think. there isn't any other requirements to it besides being level 30 and being in one

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Yeah I just mean stuff like your PVP rank that doesn't matter anymore but used to be important and your Frontline allegiance used to depend on your GC. Dunno how much work it'd be to entirely disentangle them.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
In my experience the majority of the new people I've met playing recently don't think it's an insurmountable grind and also didn't pay to skip it. It can definitely be a turn-off to people but a lot of people genuinely enjoy it (yes, even ARR). It seems strange to specifically blame the paid skips when they didn't exist for most of the game's life and I think most people have never bought one. And all the improvements to ARR only happened after they were on sale.

Brasseye posted:

Hello all, I'm buying this today to start with a friend. If I don't buy the shadowbringers expansion today, will I be missing out on a lot? or am I alright to buy it when I reach the level cap? I'm ok with missing cosmetic stuff or whatever but don't want to miss anything too cool gameplay wise

Literally nothing except the ability to play a bunny/catman except some jobs you can't unlock yet at your level anyways

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
You'll be locked out of RDM and SAM at level 50 too, those came with the Stormblood expansion that's now included in Shadowbringers and I don't think you can even buy it separately anymore unless you really go out of your way

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Basically free trial is all content up to 60 besides aforementioned things, ARR and Heavensward. Starter Edition is free trial, but without free trial restrictions. Shadowbringers is all Shadowbringers and Stormblood content, but does not include Starter Edition, which you need first. Complete includes both Starter Edition and Shadowbringers/Stormblood. Endwalker will include everything in Shadowbringers/Stormblood, but not until it's actually released. It's entirely possible Stormblood might eventually be part of free trial and starter edition someday like Heavensward is, but they haven't indicated such yet.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Selachian posted:

So some jobs (e.g., scholar, paladin) give you one set of level-50 blue gear at level 50 and then a box containing a complete set of level-90 blue gear, with a warning that the second set doesn't work in dungeons and other instanced content. What's the point of this? Do I have to maintain two gear sets and then switch to the lower one before I start a dungeon?

on top of what other people said the ilevel 50 gear is what those quests gave way back in 2.0 and they added the ilevel 90 set later so you have some okay gear as soon as you're level 50

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
doing a couple fates the first time you reach a shadowbringers zone to buy the mount speed map is worthwhile imo. unfortunately you can't do that for two of the first zones till you come back later

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
yeah after the next expansion they throw in some free gear to the previous expac's msq (and job quest capstones though they only really needed to do that for arr and hw)

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Mainwaring posted:

I think melee lb1 might even be an overall DPS loss at certain levels due to the long cast time and animation

maybe if you're in a burst window but generally you shouldn't lb during that anyways

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
quest for chocobo companions is level 30, it's pretty early

edit: beaten so i'll also point out the msq guide points out the quest so you won't miss it

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
i def recommend doing a bit of crystal tower now instead of all at once when they force you to go do it

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
every server is slammed right now and that'll probably only get worse next month i incredibly doubt there'll be any preferred worlds

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
crafted X4 gear is the first one that's an ilvl upgrade (you'll get some from quests, don't bother buying any from vendors because nq gear is garbage and worse than what you have)

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
literal only thing i can think of that changes on true launch is if you bought collector's edition you don't get the stuff from it till then

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
a friend of mine got hurled some abuse in shout chat for "cutting the line", good times

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
all of the above but mostly just afking

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
coil is weird and you can just skip to the last fight each tier and continue if you want

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
you're missing ogcds in your shroud, a big finisher to your shroud, and (imo the most important one) a thing that lets you always shroud when you use arcane circle so you can actually use it in your opener

edit: oh and i guess soulsow/harvest moon is there i guess

petcarcharodon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 13, 2021

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
when companies or even entire nations that are orders of magnitude larger than se are having trouble getting servers i think i can believe the problem they have

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
they don't offer the weapon upgrade in the alliance raid right away but yeah it's worthwhile to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
i regularly see far worse than that every single day but then i'm also on balmung