Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Personally I quite like standard movement compared to legacy so maybe make a note of it as being an option you can switch to if you're not feeling standard movement as opposed to a recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arcanist can also upgrade into Scholar, a shield healer. It's the only class that can upgrade into two jobs, it's weird like that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

fadam posted:

Is there a good write up for the requirements for each tier?

Here are some very good reddit writeups for each of the past expansions's relics that I found very helpful and follow myself:

ARR: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b4zoqf/the_way_to_zeta_in_45/
(A couple of other supplementary links that have useful data for ARR relics that aren't mentioned in that guide: https://i.redd.it/4u0zwem2vz451.png, https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/bi81w9/reliczodiac_weapon_books_visual_guide/)

HW: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/e3exi0/the_way_to_anima_in_51/

SB: https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/hed93l/the_way_to_eureka_in_52/

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

If I tend to solo, are any of the beginning classes particularly applicable for that?

All of them are decent soloers, even if you roll a healer. Maybe a tank if you want a decent balance between durability and damage dealing so that you don't have to constantly keep an eye on your HP but also don't have to take ages to kill a mob? You also eventually unlock a chocobo buddy who will help you out on the overworld and it can do all 3 roles depending on how you spec it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

I once had a Paladin get mad at me for constantly leaving him below half health because Spirit's Within scales with health. Sorry dude, your extra 100 single target potency is not worth me losing Holy casts on mobs.

What a baby. If you've never popped Hallowed Ground just to keep your HP up as you hit Spirits Within I dunno if you can really call yourself a PLD.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

shoc77 posted:

I notice at the start and end of dungeons that the group parties usually start with a friendly quip which looks like a generic quote which you select from somewhere?

I usually just type in a personal greeting myself but as I'm currently on Tonberry, I'm worried that my party members could comprise of mainly Japanese players and won't be able to understand what I'm saying. :(

Hello fellow JP server player! As others have mentioned, auto-translate can be accessed by pressing Tab after typing the start of a stock phrase. The generic greet on JP servers is {Let's do it!} and the usual ender is {Good game!}.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

I was browsing this thread because I’ve played on and off with the idea of giving FFXIV another shot.

But the things that put me off about it were pretty much in line with what a couple folks have already complained about here. Grouping with someone not actively at your level is way more obnoxious and unfriendly than it needs to be, there’s faaaaaaar too much bloat generally, and I additionally have some issues that effect only me surrounding visual accessibility of the interface that really put me off, though some of those could be eliminated by allowing people to group through all content, not just dungeons/raids/whathaveyou.

I’m not knocking folks for liking what they like, but newcomers do arrive with a fresh perspective, and I hear on repeat the same aphorisms about the game, “It gets better,” “The story is the point,” “You can do dungeons together so why would you want to group elsewhere?” etc. etc.

I’m not trying to pick a fight, but as WoW declines—rightfully so—maybe SE and long term players alike would do well to consider a wider range of viewpoints. I think most people that repeat these aphorisms aren’t doing so to be jerks, but they do have the benefit of long-term play and have been able to build up a tolerance to some of the rough spots because they find the experience of the game overall great. But it feels kinda alienating when someone brings up a notable weak point of the design and vets collectively shrug those complaints off.

One thing I think the otherwise lovely ESO did wonderfully was to implement universal scaling. When you pick that game up, you can play with anyone, anywhere, for any reason, in any sort of content. That design decision came with some drawbacks—notably trivializing the challenge of overworld content—but for a game like FFXIV, whose main draw is the story anyway, I could see the value in both opeing up more main quest content to groups and to scale/allow higher level players to join lower level players on the road to the end. I’d be more forgiving of the slow and draggy bits if I could experience all of them with a friend.

On a personal note, I’m loving irritated that the dialog text boxes are sepia with no means to change them. The low contrast makes it brutally hard for me to visually read, ditto for the map. Honestly, for as flexible as the interface is to customize, not being able to fix those two things has made the game nearly impossible for me to play solo. Doesn’t matter if the interface can be moved and enlarged if the two biggest things necessary to completing and enjoying the game—knowing where you need to go and reading the dialog—are problematic for someone with limited vision. All they’d need to do is include color customization for those two interface elements and I’d probably put up with more bullshit in a design sense. Though as a disabled person, I’m kinda used to being brushed off. SE has been pretty solid in that department, I’ve noticed, so having one big issue like that really galls.

Have you tried the classic FF layout with blue textboxes and white text? Might be better for high contrast.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You can just return to your home server to do them if it turns out that you can't do anything while visiting another server anyway.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In JP datacenters usually the tank for group B gets to MT.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you do decide to do ARR relics, note that if you want replicas of the various stages for glam purposes you must either have the actual relic in your inventory or have handed it in to an NPC in Mor Dhona called Syndony. For expac relics after ARR you can dump the actual relic and still get the replicas whenever you want because they added achievement tracking of the various steps for each relic in Heavensward, but ARR is just built different so you will not be able to pick up replicas without the actual relic or having handed it in.

Do not be like me and dump your ARR relics thinking they work like other relics and that you can just get the replicas whenever. I dumped two and managed to get one reinstated to me via GM but I'll need to redo the other and it's a pain.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

We still sharing control / HUD layouts?

So I use RTx2 and RT+LT together, and I've set up my HUD so that I can see all three sets of hotbars easy, it requires a little finagling when I add a new ability, but I'm really happy with this layout.

where's the terminator and owen wilson "wow!" addon?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's been a few where I was waiting for a good half-hour or so still. Annoyingly they were usually up when I was in the area for another fate in another book.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Awesome! posted:

the things for anima weapons? 4 each of king cake, titanium alloy mirror, adamantite francesca and dispelling arrow. 80k seals total

There is also one part of the Zeta weapons that needs 4 bombard cores for 20k each, 80k total. Same vendor.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I found that I could do one book per day at the most for the sweet spot of "I'm getting this done but not at a pace where I want to burn out of it".

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

They used to be different, but they normalised them all somewhere around late SB/early ShB so they're all the same now which is nice.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If there's one really good bit of advice I got for playing mahjong in general, it's that as a newbie, never ever ever call someone's discarded tile until you really know what you're doing, unless it is the winning tile obviously. Resist the urge. A fully hidden hand is always a valid scoring hand.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Genji set from the first set of Omega raids.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I do trust runs for the initial run through the dungeon to see the dialogue but after that it's real people for me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Yes, use Arm's Length on as many trash packs as possible. It applies Slow to everything that hits you, which is amazing mitigation against 5-6 mobs.

I think it's important to point out that in XIV Slow is an attack speed debuff, Heavy is the movement slow debuff. I know I got confused by it a lot when I started.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, FF11 goons are still reasonably active and answer questions well in their Discord.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also do your daily roulettes, Learning DR especially.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Huh, I would have thought that they had rebalanced the later ARR xp curve to not have the 47-49 gap any more. But yeah, LDR then run the highest dungeon like others have said.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's like 0 point in speedpulling early dungeons anyway most jobs don't have aoe at that point.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I usually do two groups or so in low level stuff if we don't have any aoe DPS because that's probably what my tank aoe alone can handle. If we have aoe DPS then well let's go ham for a bit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

No, all expacs are sequential. You have to finish base ARR main story (+ patches) to play Heavensward (+ patches) etc etc up to Endwalker.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endwalker builds on a lot of stuff that was established in prior expansions, including Heavensward and Stormblood, so if you did skip them to get to Endwalker faster you might just not get what the hype was about when you get there.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

They sure did, check out pug/monk

MNK still has 2 positionals.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

No other expansion's x.1-x.5 is as long as the one between ARR to HW, so you should be fine.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Better to be overlevelled than under, IMO.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, I tried to do that every expac and usually gave up a few zones in. I did manage to stick through with it for Endwalker though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

Well thats dumb cos clearly most cant pull it off. I had another duty there while i was getting dragoon to 50, and the tank ended up quiting after he kept loving up and the healer begging him to stop mass pulling, had two more after that and the tanks just... fought what came to them in the room and moved on to the next group and everyone worked toegether and it was fun and fast? Like, this "player strat" of mass pulling is easily one of the dumbest loving mmo dumb things i have ever seen in this game. You are not saving any amount of time at all and while you look big and hard trying to do it, 9 times out of 10 they always get everyone wiped. The game is loving easy until a dumb tank starts doing this dumb poo poo

It's pretty dumb to mass pull in ARR dungeons but HW upwards when A) both tanks and healers get more tools, B) DPS get more AOE options and C) dungeon design becomes a lot more linear mass pulls is normal assuming both the tank and healer are decently geared.

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

I just came back from a few years off of the game. I’m level 68, and the next msq unlocks at 69. I’m totally unsure of how to play whm on a controller but I don’t want to start a new class from the ground up to learn it because that will take forever to level. Any suggestions? Mostly just on how to transition after a long break from playing on pc to using a controller on ps5..

Find a training dummy somewhere to get used to your new buttons, maybe ask a friend to party up with you so that you can practice healing with a controller. After that try a low level dungeon or two to get used to it in a live environment.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tortolia posted:

I would simply say that you should wait and see the actual evolution in dungeon design before you decide you don't like the direction they take it.

I feel like this is the most salient point. Don't knock it until you try it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think the important difference is that unless it is literally the only video game you have on hand you're not expected to run their dungeons multiple times a day, not even factoring in other real life people.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

doubtful, you're still waiting for people to look. at least with duty finder i can see the party forming, but its always getting 1 slot left and then someone drops out and it all starts again. timer is currently on 222 lol

The difference is that if you unsync it you can get 2-3 level 90s to carry you through the whole thing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also Coils is a step up in difficulty compared to EX trials, they're Savage level raids, and ones with a lot of ARR jank at that. More power to you if you want to beat them legit, but just note that it's going to take you forever doing it trying to queue for it in DF rather than making a party in PF to find other people who also want to beat them legit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There will also be a similar marker that looks like that crossed with a stack marker, that's a shared tankbuster. Both tanks need to stand together to take it (or one just cheats with invul).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Most tankbusters have a small aoe attached so it's usually not a good idea to stand too close to the main tank when you don't have to.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

As a JP DC player I would add on that this is mainly for current EX/Savage content, old stuff usually still needs a dedicated PF group search rather than going through DF.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SCH has a lot of utility tricks like Expedient. God I love having a SCH in the party just for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yep, come back when login servers aren't dying.