Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
A few general notes:

1) Controller play is 100% viable at all levels of game, up to and including the highest end raid content. If you're intrigued by it, give it a shot - folks can help guide you on this. Controller has extremely easy movement, access to 48 hotbar slots without having to do anything more than tap/hold the triggers on the controller, very good targeting options, and the ability to control the game while the window isn't focused (while, say, fishing). Part of the reason FFXIV is so popular is because console players can and do play the game using controllers and don't have to spend money on some sort of custom setup.

2) Unlike many MMOs, this is not a game that lives or dies based on some sort of class meta. All jobs can and have cleared all levels of content. World first groups have used "unpopular" classes because the players in the group preferred playing them. Much like picking what race/gender you want, feel free to choose your main jobs based on what you find fun/aesthetically pleasing and not because it's going to prevent you from doing what you want to do otherwise.

3) The FFXIV community loves newbies. Absolutely adores them! Let folks know if this is your first run of some content. Ask questions if something's unclear, ask for advice, just feel free to chat because people probably will respond! If you join a goon FC (highly recommended), feel free to look for folks to run content with or join their roulettes. FFXIV not only provides significant community and social tools, players get some fairly significant mechanical incentives to help folks clear content their first time, so it's not even remotely an imposition to ask for party members when you're about to wander into X dungeon.

4) Take your time with the game and go at your own pace. Lots of folks like to say that the Heavensward and Shadowbringers expansions are amazing. They are! This doesn't mean that ARR is bad and should be rushed through. This doesn't mean you should only do the MSQ, or only level one job, or ignore crafters/gatherers. Work on the MSQ, but unlock content with those blue colored + quests. Do side dungeons, go ocean fishing, hit up the Gold Saucer, try Palace of the Dead, try crafting stuff. The rest of the game isn't going anywhere.

Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AngusPodgorny posted:

As someone that occasionally tanks despite never remembering fights, my advice for faking knowing what you're doing:

Trash: Two packs is a good default. Adjust from there if it seems too easy or too much effort. There are a few dungeons that are notoriously hard (e.g., Stone Vigil, Bardam's Mettle), so you might overpull and wipe, but veterans are going to know what happened and not care.

Tankbusters: The game likes throwing a tankbuster attack early in the fight so you can identify it. If you see a cast without a visible marker, it's probably either a tankbuster or an aoe, so hit a defensive cooldown. If only your health drops, just remember that name the rest of the fight and hit a defensive cooldown when you see it.

Positioning: Wherever it spawns is usually a good spot. If you're in a raid and adds spawn, grab the one to the left/middle/right of the entrance depending whether you're A/B/C as already mentioned. In a raid, if you notice a tether connecting your add to another one, drag yours away until the tether disappears.

Main tank/off-tank: In 8-man content, if I'm not the main tank, I'll do a combo without tank stance, then turn it on for the rest of the fight. I'll shirk if I'm in danger of overtaking the main tank. That way I'm easily second on the aggro list, so if the main tank diesit goes straight to me. I'll also keep it the rest of the fight unless the main tank taunts it back off me, in which case I'll shirk them rather than fighting about it because I don't really care.

This is all great advice. To add on:

1) If you're not yet comfortable pulling multiple packs (this is generally out of concerns about your durability/gear or targeting mobs), do not feel like you have to overdo it. You'll get there when you get there. If you are multi-pulling, be sure to stagger your defensive cooldowns. Note as well that Arm's Length is a role skill that all physical jobs get access to - while its main purpose is to prevent you from being knocked backwards by some mechanics, it also puts a fairly substantial Slow debuff on anything that hits you which is a massive reduction in damage you take during trash pulls. Your healer will notice that you're a tank using Arm's Length and adore you for it, it's kind of the secret signal for "this tank knows what they're doing" even if you don't have a single clue what you are doing.

2) While it's not the case on every boss, Square likes to have bosses use both their designated tankbuster and their designated party/raidwide attack within their first 2-3 casts. This is their way of teaching you "This attack is good to use party mitigation on, this attack is for personal mitigation". Until you know what's what, just pop a cooldown for the first one and you're covered in either case (if it was an AOE, everyone's going to be at full health anyway so it's no big deal).

3) The MT/OT approach above is also good as there are some bosses that will auto-attack the top two people on the enmity list, not just the main tank. Keep in mind as you're doing this that each tank has a ranged skill intended for pulling enemies (ex. shield lob for PLD) that applies extra enmity above and beyond the damage it does, so be careful to keep an eye on if you're about to make the boss mad at you when trying to do damage as you move.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 16, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think folks have covered the "what to do that unlocked after 2.0" question pretty well. Absolutely go at your own pace with it; that said, now that you've completed 2.0, there's a few new daily roulettes you've unlocked or will very soon:

Main Story Duty Roulette (MSQDR) - this only includes the two 8 man cutscene-heavy dungeons that you cleared to finish 2.0. The rewards on this are extreme (tons of Tomestones of Poetics for gear purchases, lots of exp), but as you probably noted when you did them the first time, there are a lot of cutscenes that can't be skipped. Consider doing it if you want a chunk of EXP or Poetics and have some time to kill.

Trials Duty Roulette (TDR) - this will unlock when you've cleared some of the hard mode trials at level 50 and includes only those 8-man fights. Rewards aren't huge but generally speaking these are fairly fast fights to clear.

50/60/70 Duty Roulette (567DR)- you've probably noticed that there's a ton of level 50 dungeons you can now unlock. This roulette includes those dungeons, and later the level 60 and 70 equivalents from Heavensward and Stormblood; these are mutually exclusive to the dungeons you've had access to below level 50 via leveling duty roulette. Some of these will be mandatory for MSQ as you go along; there's a large number that are optional. EXP is not great but you get a decent chunk of Poetics.

Alliance Duty Roulette (ADR) - this will unlock when you've completed several parts of the Crystal Tower 24-man raid series. ADR only includes 24-man raids. Due to these runs needing a disproportionately large number of DPS jobs needed, it's actually one of the faster queuing roulettes for leveling DPS jobs past 50.

Due to the fact that they're no longer needed for gearing purposes, a lot of folks skip the optional level 50 dungeons. This is entirely reasonable, but a lot of them have some very cool design and encounters to them. I like to suggest folks go unlock them as convenient, then to break up the MSQ quest grind, queue for 567DR now and then; it'll route you into those dungeons so you can see them as you go along.

Also, if you are on a paid version of the game, you've now got access to unlock the Stormblood level 50 jobs (Samurai, Red Mage). Feel free to check those out if you're interested.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yellow fat chocobo is upgrading to the collector's edition of A Realm Reborn. White fat choco is a legacy promotion that isn't available. Black fat chocobo is available right now via a special promotion on Twitch.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mage_Boy posted:

For all you new players afraid of healing: don't be. I wouldn't do it for so long (80 RDM, NIN and 75 MCH) but then the friendly free company chat have me the push to give it a try. I'm now level 30 CNJ, about to unlock WHM and I think I am at like 1/3 of the commendations I got up to this point. Play some guildhests if you worry about groups until you feel comfortable and you can always run Sastasha a few times to get your feel down for it.

This goes for any role/job type, to be honest. Tankxiety and healing are the bigger sticking points for folks because they're afraid they're going to cause wipes and piss everyone off, but the onramp for pretty much any role/job is pretty shallow especially if you hit up POTD or a low level dungeon rather than immediately plow into the highest level content available. Just ask for company the first few runs so you're not possibly getting some impatient rando in your group, and take your time with it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All classes/jobs can solo just fine for MSQ questing and the like. Down the road you might want specific jobs for doing more gimmicky/esoteric soloing purposes (ex. doing a solo Palace of the Dead dive, soloing unsynched raids/trials, etc), but for just playing the story through the end, go with whatever you find fun.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you're still on the trial and hitting gil caps, you can also just buy up to 999 of various consumables that will be useful longterm - gyshal greens, grade 7 dark matter (if you get into crafting you can use that to self repair gear), crafting/gathering food, dyes, etc.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Onean posted:

I can't recommend any particular video to watch since I don't have any I've seen, but there is a New Game+ system in FFXIV now, under the Duty section. You can replay the old expansions through that instead of doing a whole new character if you prefer.

Yeah, New Game + is basically perfect for these situations. It doesn't preclude you from continuing to do other content in the game, roulettes, etc, but it will let you replay pretty much any part of the MSQ and a lot of side quest storylines over again to refresh where you were at. Just note this is for the story, mainly; you don't re-earn quest rewards or quest exp doing this.

The feature unlocks at the Wistful Whitebeard in Western Thanalan (X:12.0 Y:14.0).

I'd say just start doing NG+ at the points you want to refresh yourself on and do some low impact quests/instances on the side. You'll get back up to speed soon enough. And (re)join a goon FC if you're able.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I love POTD in general but spamming it purely for job exp is kind of weirdly grindy. Take advantage of daily roulette bonuses, the hunt logs for each class, beast tribe dailies and the weekly challenge log, it all adds up. Mix in POTD if you want but I can't recommend running floors 51-60 for hours on end either.

And as many folks have mentioned, Archer/bard is unfortunately weirdly notable for having a distinct feeling desync between animations, sounds, and damage. It's a job I want to love because at its core it's exactly the type of dps job I gravitate to in MMOs but i just have a hard time getting past that.

One thing that new players can't really appreciate at first is that Square really learns the lessons from flawed design decisions and fixes or avoids repeating them in future. They can't always fix the original problem but they learn and try to compensate.

HW jobs locked behind MSQ progression? Definitely a bummer. They don't do that for future expansion jobs.
Massive cutscenes in the final 2.0 instances breaking up the flow of the content? Not done again. Cutscenes made mandatory for the new players to see the big finale; older players incentivized to run it by disproportionately good daily roulette bonuses.
ARR questing too bogged down with fetch quests and boring travel? Revamped to pare down the number of quests and steps, give Waking Sands teleport tickets, took huge pains to rebuild zones to make them flight compatible and give it to you for free to speed up the 2.1-2.3 lull.
Fights are hard to "sightread" (extremes, Coils of Bahamut raids, etc)? Work in early HW to begin defining and using a consistent visual language in encounters going forward to the point where I as a tank main run everything but savage/extremes blind and can actually do a solid job from pull 1.

I could go on, but while veterans gush about and encourage folks to push on to Heavensward because of the storytelling, a less appreciated aspect is because that's the expansion where they caught their breath and began solving some of the issues inherent in core design they couldn't do in the sheer madcap rush to fix and relaunch the game. Things only get better from there. We know ARR can be clunky and believe me, we want to help all of you get over that hump.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Even if you don't go for the 80 point fashion report threshold on a given week, enter anyway; you get 10k MGP just for showing up.

Reddit usually puts together fashion report infographics to help you get 80 points (the threshold for an extra 50k MGP) or 100 points (where you get a few achiements and a title; you only ever need to do this once since the MGP reward is the same as 80 points). Some weeks the 80 point items are literally less than 500 gil of vendor gear and dyes. If you're in Discord then Kupobot has a command to post that week's infographic for convenience.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zurtilik posted:

Did they really enhance the speed of the Disciples of Land leveling? Up until level 19 I had kept at or ahead of pace just by doing the class quests. Even still, after the level 15 quests I am only a half a level away from 20. I feel like it used to take a lot more.

Also, does the bonus for having a higher level class transfer to the DoL/DoH? Is it still the case that your DoL/DoH classes can't exceed your highest DoW/DoM classes?

Yeah, DoH/DoL got a big exp buff and mining/botany got a bit of an overhaul in 5.1 or 5.2 to go along with the Ishgard restoration content. They're both much faster to level outright, plus the Ishgard restoration content is extremely rapid leveling (and fishing also gets ocean fishing, which is the second fastest way to level a job in the entire game outside of a Blue Mage getting powerlevelled).

No, the armory bonus does not apply to non-combat jobs. And I don't think your DoH/DoL levels are restricted to your combat cap unless I've missed something but I could be wrong there; the big impediment in the past was "I'm not high enough level to get to the areas that have the materials I need to keep making new things", but you can just go do Ishgard stuff instead if you really want.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Plot allusions and details snipped

Spoilers and details aside, they're not going to go back and change the pacing of patch MSQ content because outside of what they trimmed out of ARR it's all still pretty pertinent. They've gotten better about streamlining MSQ in general, but the balance of "Go do some possibly simple quests and oh here's a duty or a long cutscene" is how it rolls. Since all the plot stuff builds on top of each other they're not just going to keep ripping and replacing it. Some of the patch MSQs are actually very short because they convey what they need and move on. There's always the cutscene book or NG+ if you need a refresher on what happened with the plot, especially if you took a break.

For new folks, each expansion cycle breaks down as follows (ARR is a bit less rigid this way since they were basically winging it until about 2.4):
X.0 patch - base expansion, tells a story, big fight, credits
X.1-X.3 - followup from the base expansion, resolution of the main expansion theme and plot
X.4-X.5 - setup for next expansion, another credits sequence at the end

So when you hit the X.4 patch it might seem a bit disconnected or out of theme from the expansion itself (or even a letdown - we had this big climax, what the hell is going on now?), but it's groundwork for what's coming next. Endwalker is going to change this up by basically rolling the X.1-X.3 content into the base expansion, so when you finish the launch Endwalker content, that's basically the end of the "main" story they're going for there - 6.1 and beyond will be them doing a major shift into whatever overarching plot is next.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 5, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Saxophone posted:

Huh. Just noticed I have a Fantasia sitting in my inventory. Which begs the question: thread? What should I Fantasia to?

Hang onto it until you decide that something else looks cool and you want to try playing that race instead; they don't expire.

(I am heavily biased towards Roegadames.)

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I do understand their argument for not having shortened the MSQ grind.
But to be uncharitable and realistic they are also financially incentivised to keep the grind as long as possible via both subs and the paid story skip.

It does mean I cant ever recommend the game to any of my mmo friends which sucks.
Its OK for me coming in at 60 but I remember how bad that grind was coming in during HW

I'd only ever recommend it with a story skip and that would make getting started a lot more expensive.

Given there's a free trial I don't see any particular harm if you think they'd enjoy the gameplay to actually give it a shot. The storytelling and pacing speaks more to some folks than others. And the ARR/pre-HW grind and MSQ got overhauled within the last year.

I personally don't feel like "they're just keeping this MSQ long to make more money" gels with "we have zero actual restrictions on free trial playtime to the point where folks have been on the trial for a year now and still haven't given us a dime" and "Our director has flat out encouraged folks to unsub and take breaks from the game and play other titles if they need to." It's a Final Fantasy title with a shitload of story focus, that's their goal.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 5, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
ARR content isn't as complex as the fights that come later but still can be quite involved especially if you sync your gear down, as many streamers have discovered.

I don't know how WoW handles their leveling experience anymore but short of just including the story and level skips and sticking folks at the starting line of 5.0, I'm not sure how leveling your character through current expansion content alone would function. The issue with that is there are a ton of mechanics for encounters that build up over time and if you just skip to the end it's going to be a very bumpy ride engaging in current expansion trials and dungeons (also as some streamers have discovered).

FFXIV is not a "nothing matters beyond the current expansion" game. The journey is a very crucial part of the experience, not blasting 70-80 and trying to immediately engage with endgame content. Many jobs do start getting their broader toolkits when they get their job stones at 30 and build from there rather than be incomplete until 70+. Some of people's favorite content moments come from dungeons and raids that are available right at level 50.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 5, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chillgamesh posted:

Honestly unless you have a whole pack of people to raid with as soon as you hit 90 in Endwalker there's no rush to get current at all. Just turn off shout chat and avoid hanging out in cities so you don't get spoilers and play through the MSQ at your own pace.

Echoing this point, the previous expansion content isn't going anywhere and roulettes are still going to be pushing people into older content so it's not a "be 80 or else by November 19th." situation at all.

Plus if you want to play Reaper or Sage you just need to be 70 when EW drops, not fully caught up on MSQ.

Edit: the final main story quest of every base expansion release (3.0/4.0/5.0) has the same name as the expansion itself.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've seen a lot of min ilevel groups in party finder recently, I think the streamers giving the content a spin that way has gotten folks interested in seeing things as close to their original form as possible.

So yeah, there's a MSQ push until you clear 2.0 at level 50, then a ton of content opens up, including 8 and 24 man raids and optional extreme difficulty trials. Then you keep pushing into HW, and when you finish 3.0 you unlock more raid and trial chains, etc. It's not "I have no difficult group content options until I have cleared 5.0/5.3 and are level 80." Ignoring the old raid and trial content because it was released between 2015 and mid-2019 is a big mistake.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The way FF14 approaches gearing from older expansions is that they make it effectively trivial to buy gear that was in the 95th or so percentile of power for that expansion with tokens you get by just doing content. They don't want people to have to stop doing the MSQ to spend weeks grinding old content for legacy gear upgrades just to keep moving forward.

Running older raid/trial/etc content is for the associated storylines and a variety of fun/cosmetic rewards (glamour gear/weapons, unique mounts, unique bardings, music rolls, etc).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's also worth noting in this that hitting the current expansion doesn't mean that it's some giant arduous process to get modern gear either! Right now someone who hasn't played the game since 5.0 could log in, hit the market board or bug some friendly crafters, and get a full set of crafted i510 gear that they could fairly easily upgrade to i520 (for reference, the highest ilevel set you can put together right now would be i530). That gear would let you queue into pretty much any current endgame raid/trial.

Square doesn't want it to be an ordeal to get caught up on the gear treadmill to play current content.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Old content is still run because it's fun, and roulettes are happy to put people back into it, and new fashion grindables (relic werapons) require stuff from old content, and people are always leveling new classes so poetics are useful, and because it's fun.

This is also key - outside of Binding Coils of Bahamut (the 8 man raid chain from ARR/2.x), every single normal difficulty 8 man fight, 8 man trial, and 24 man raid is in a roulette to funnel people into it. Extreme/savage/ultimate content can be queued for directly but on NA/EU servers is coordinated via party finder.

If you heard that old content in FF remains relevant, it's because the game is constantly dumping people into older fights and continually adding new incentives for folks to go back in. As Bruceski mentions, the current expansion relic weapon chain has tokens required that can be gotten from every single HW/SB/SHB 8 man raid fight or 24 man raid, along with level 70 dungeons, Palace of the Dead, Heaven on High, etc.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ouroboros, do you mind listing out in spoiler tags what instances/duties you have access to or what the current main story quest you are in is? I'm just curious where you are because it almost sounds like you're bogged down in sidequests or something. The MSQ provides more exp than you need to stay at level with it but unless you're doing tons of dungeons it seems like your forward progress has stagnated if you haven't gotten mounts yet.

I'm in agreement with some of the folks in this thread that the game probably isn't going to end up being your thing, but if you're spending that much time outside of instances or combat right now either you're right on the cusp of making some big forward steps here or there's something else going on.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

tl;dr blizzard sucks and all my friends are quitting warcraft for ffxiv. already over the drama; any goon FC on Adamantoise?

The goon FCs are on Excalibur (NA, literally three full or near full FCs), Omega (EU) and Kujata (JP).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

shoc77 posted:

I notice at the start and end of dungeons that the group parties usually start with a friendly quip which looks like a generic quote which you select from somewhere?

I usually just type in a personal greeting myself but as I'm currently on Tonberry, I'm worried that my party members could comprise of mainly Japanese players and won't be able to understand what I'm saying. :(

Is it text flanked in red and green brackets? If so that's a phrase from the auto translation list and if you did the same they absolutely would understand since the game would display it in their client language.

Start typing something in chat then hit tab to pull up the phrase list. The options range from "hello" and "thank you" to instance names, minions, and even situational phrases like "I seem to have misplaced my keyboard."

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think folks just need to reframe their mindset coming to FF from other MMOs, especially those games that only care about endgame or numbers going up. In games like that, questing is purely a means to an end, a way to make the numbers go up faster and to do some extremely basic prepwork to throw you into endgame once you've done X number of hours of grind.

That's not how Square does it. Thinking about the MSQ as a "grind" is the wrong mindset. The MSQ, first and foremost, is to tell a story; of Eorzea, of the nation states, of the Empire, and most importantly, of the Warrior of Light. FF actually has your protagonist be a big loving deal in the world, rather than some nameless grunt who has a story NPC kill-steal in a cutscene after you wear down the Big Bad of the patch. Since you as the player are a big deal in the setting, Square actually has to lay the groundwork for why this is the case, and why these story NPCs would even give you the time of day. 2.0 ARR in particular focuses on you building these relationships and having folks realize that they can rely on you, which is why the first 20 levels or so are the Obligatory Bear rear end Quests; you're originally just some rando adventurer who came to town. It changes fairly rapidly around the time you get your mount, which is really not that far in.

Viewing MSQ purely as a means to an end - to unlock features - to hit endgame and play with friends (who if nothing else should be happy to help you out as you go along even if they're past where you are) - to raid; this isn't wrong, but puts the focus on MSQ as a utilitarian construct rather than a journey and a story that Square is trying to tell. And that's the main difference. MSQ gets you access to new content; it gives you substantial exp, it gives you gear and outfits and minions, but those are included as appropriate rewards as you go along, and not because Square is sitting there going "OK, now make the player do 100 quests before they hit something fun".

FFXIV is about the journey. There's bumps, it's maybe slow at times, but counting how many quests you have until you reach X milestone is perhaps not the proper mindset to fully enjoy the game. Doing nothing but MSQ and ignoring the side content and events that opens up as you go is often a recipe for burnout. There have been a number of super long time WoW players/streamers who are loving what ARR does right from the start. They acknowledge the slow spots in the plot, but they're engaged and immersed from day one. Hopefully newbies in this thread have a similar process of enjoyment, but it's OK to say "This isn't clicking for me".

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zurtilik posted:

There are only a few dungeons and features that even REALLY tie back to the main quest. I don't need to do 16 levels worth of back story to enjoy whatever is going on in Copperbell, for example. It's one thing for the primals or those super heavy story dungeons like The Praetorium. Those can make sense to be locked behind the MSQ. But nothing about the main story makes the PvP in this game make any more or less sense... So why lock it behind the main story?

As the game goes along more and more dungeons are main plot track, actually, it's only really in ARR and HW where there's a huge surplus of side dungeons with no particular main plot relevance. And dungeons have their own stories tied to their respective zones, so given their framework I'm not sure letting you into Copperbell at level 5 would work if you started in Gridania.

PVP is basically set up with the framework of "The grand companies are doing wargames", letting you onto the battlefield before you're even familiar with them or involved with them wouldn't really fit either.

Many side features either unlock at level 15 when you have airship access, 30 (battle chocobo or PVP) or when you've cleared 2.0. Side features and content beyond there are tied to zones you haven't even reached yet. They pulled a lot of stuff back to the level 15 mark; glamours used to be level 50.

Could they pull some extra stuff back a bit sooner? Possibly, but we also have to keep in mind that FF14 was designed to be perfectly viable as a MMO for a RPG player who had never touched a MMO before. Kinda makes for a slow start for those of us who have been dealing with this nonsense for decades, but they're trying to keep the onramp shallow.

Zurtilik posted:

Yes but if I am remembering correctly you have to play the Main Quest to a point to even get into the free company. Then you go into PvP and you randomly get assigned a free company anyway so it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Frontline freelancer (get placed on a random side) was a later patch addition, because frontlines queues were jacked up due to player count disparities for each GC; doesn't help if you've got 50 Flames and Maelstrom folks queued and only 4 Adders are ready. You can actually toggle that off when you queue if you only want to rep your GC.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A lot of these questions and topics have come up in QA panels and live letters before and we're conveying the answers we have been given, and we're also noting when and how they have made changes in the past because things weren't in a good spot for the playerbase.

If folks want to be cynical and make claims like "they're gatekeeping features so folks get bored and pay to skip" that's their right but it doesn't match with the actions and statements of the dev team over the years.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The complete edition is on sale and only $4 more than the starter edition right now. Just buy that.

This is the way to go if you're spending money on the game right now.

When Endwalker goes live it will add Stormblood and Shadowbringers licenses to your account if you don't already have them, since Square operates under a "buying the most recent expansion is all you need to be fully caught up" model. The Endwalker pre-order will not unlock prior expansions before it launches.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Theris posted:

Cool, but I've leveled 45 or so times getting better gear all the while and it's gone up maybe a couple points. GP seems to have gone up more but also not much. Am I missing something or is there a huge boost that happens somewhere between 45 and 60?

If you're not adverse to the idea you can buy or have the HQ turnins made for you by other players.

Gear is a big part of it, but the main turning point for HQ crafting is when you hit level 50 and learn Byregot's Blessing. Prior to that skill you just do the best you can with materials and procs.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That is absolutely the easiest 80 pointer I can recall. The 100 pointer is also very inexpensive and easy if you have completed 2.0 since you can use literally any of the i130 poetics chests. Good week to get the title.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Square likes to keep the general number of skills/buttons on a job consistent between expansions even as the level cap goes up, which includes pruning some skills, moving some to lower levels, and making traits modify how earlier skills work at later levels. Paladins having offensive magic wasn't even in the toolkit until Stormblood, so it wasn't a core part of the class identity for a good long while. You see other examples of this with jobs developing new gauges and ability phases starting in the HW levels. But in Shadowbringers they started giving melee jobs much more AOE damage in the sub 50 ranges as they adjusted things. Prior to Stormblood they still used cross-class skills as a way to flesh out the kits so they've been working to internalize things since.

So, it's not at all out of the question that they continue to reduce or break down the "pre-HW" and "post-HW" job kit walls. We will find out more in September during the big expansion live letter and media day. Continue to expect jobs to play differently at different parts of their level range, though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I'd argue that they hosed up with the HW jobs or the 50-60 job quests (which required HW zone access to varying degrees). They wanted to do storyline for the jobs that directly tied into the fact that each one is very core to the HW setting. It wasn't until after launch that they found a non-trivial number of folks were unhappy they couldn't get DRK while playing through 2.x patch content. It was a good idea with some detrimental side effects to a non trivial portion of players, and the work to change what was done would be substantial and protentially very detrimental to the job stories.

So, rather than continue to do that in future expansions, they just wrote future jobs in a way where they logically can be picked up in the base zones for people to play with more immediately.

It's like the issues with the final 2.0 instances. They have big problems that weren't anticipated prior to going live and the work to change it would potentially be major and disruptive, so they just learned from it moving forward. Or the infamous solo duty very early in SB that caused a huge roadblock when the expansion launched and the instance servers crapped out; they didn't put something comparable in early SHB.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Squadrons actually bring me a non trivial amount of crafting/gathering scrip and other goodies, so it's not the worst idea to send your lackeys out on missions for you.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BurningBeard posted:

Yeah, I thought about this, but it’s a hard sell without community support, I think. There’s a misconception that people with visual impairments don’t play games in the first place, so I find and have experienced from that perspective that we tend to be the last ones accounted for in development. If SE didn’t have a track record of responsiveness, I’d not try at all. But because they do, I’ll consider it.

Arguing for interface adjustments, while more useful for me individually, probably has less utility for the player base at large and so is, I imagine, a harder sell.

I absolutely would bring it up, it can't hurt. Just last week they posted about changing the Sage job icon because the original one was causing distress to players with trypophobia. There's colorblind and visualizer options already in game, plus all the HUD tweaks you can do with the different themes and UI scaling.

I hope you're able to find something workable for you.

Edit: also thinking about it, if you're looking at the "flag coordinates/positions" route as a workaround, free trial players *can* also join linkshells as a chat channel that isn't group or FC restricted.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 6, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zet posted:

Any advice is welcome as I've never tanked in an mmo before. I think I'm too concerned about doing the damage but I think that's because I want to maintain that aggro. But that leads me to not always seeing new adds as I'm staring at my icons on gcd...

Some great new tanking advice has been given to you here already and props to you for giving it a go as you learn the game. Tanking in 14 is a lot of fun once you get past any tanxiety you might feel.

SHB basically made the threat multiplier on tank stance so astronomically large that hitting targets one or two times should get them mad at you, so beyond that it's just getting awareness that your healer seems to be losing HP or there's something on the enemy list that doesn't have the red circle. If you look at the party list you can see little bars under their job icons that show how much threat every party member has on your current target. Next time you fight a boss look to see how far ahead your bar is after just 10 or 15 seconds; you'll see just how little it takes to make things stick to you like glue.

Non-tank folks, if something is chewing on you that shouldn't be, don't panic, just go drag it over to the tank so they can snag it from you.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's some pretty good circumstantial evidence based on more recent content that Beastmaster may be coming at some point in the future, but based on previous dev interviews it's also likely that if they do add it in they would make it a "limited" job like Blue Mage; something cool and over the top but not balanced for or intended for normal instance use.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zet posted:

I've been popping my defensive skills at starts of fights/when they're on cooldown. Sounds like they're more emergency buttons then?

During trash pulls just cycle through them and you can have defensive cooldowns up a fairly substantial amount of the time (obviously don't use them when there's like one mob left in a pack). Arm's Length counts as a trash specific cooldown for this purpose since putting Slow on a bunch of mobs is a massive damage reduction.

During bosses you want to save them for casts/named special abilities. You should have enough at pretty much any point along with emergency buttons. At first you might not know which abilities are tankbusters, which are group attacks, which you can just dodge, etc, but you'll get the hang of it and it's going to be a long time before you hit any content where less regimented cooldown use might cause problems.

You're too early in for this to matter yet either, but tank invulnerability cooldowns can and should see use in both trash and boss fights; don't treat them as "I'll only ever use this in an emergency" buttons since they will be available multiple times per instance and reset in the event the group wipes anyway.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well, the alternative is to just think of every expansion + patch MSQ set as a 40-60 hour JRPG.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
POTD is a lot of fun. When you get into Stormblood you can also do Heaven on High, which is a level 61-70 version with some neat tweaks to the pomanders and consumables available.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The exceptions people are mentioning here is that some bosses have attacks that don't telegraph their effects with AOE markers, you have to actually look at what they're doing (ex. pulling their arm back to ready a swing at you). They use this to good effect in the Rathalos crossover fight since he acts just like he does in Monster Hunter. The cyclops in Aurum Vale actually acted like this until just a few patches ago and killed a lot of people as a result (he has markers now).

Just something to keep in mind - if you get hit by attacks that aren't just normal single target attacks and have no AOE displayed, it's an indication that either the boss itself is telegraphing via animation or there's something in or around the arena doing it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

this is cowardice.

I use full/full/none myself; I just got used to 8 man fights being a giant fireworks show and it'd feel weird without it now. I'm fine actually being able to see the bosses in 24+ man content or hunt trains at some point, though, so I just keep it limited to me and my 7 closest/randomly selected friends.

It's a good example though of how the UI is generally customizable for pretty much anyone's specific needs, so if you're getting overwhelmed by a huge amount of attack and spell effects, by all means turn it down, at least until you're more comfortable with things.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you've heard horror stories about DRG complexity then that might be legacy from the HW era, where it was a god awful mess of a job. These days it's actually a super straightforward rotation that just repeats and cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's fine as you learn a healer to focus more on healing or even overhealing as you get comfortable. You don't yet know your tools, early on you don't have the off-GCD heals that form a large part of later healer kit backbones, and there's that intrinsic pressure of "I'm the healer and I don't want people to get upset if they die because I screwed up". There's also a few dungeons mixed in that have disproportionate damage or healer checks, so if you're not sure how a particular fight goes yet, it's fine to play it safe.

As you do instances on a healer you'll start to realize comparatively how little time you need to be spending casting heals, and that's when you shift into "I'm going to start doing DPS between heals" and not "Everyone's alive so I'm going to overheal every GCD or sit around doing nothing".

Don't let memes or jokes about Honest Healers get you down while you're getting your bearings, but you'll probably get to a point sooner than you think where you're comfortable at least tossing out DoTs or a nuke or two on each pack and bosses.