Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Chillgamesh posted:

Jesus, Conrad, tie yer gently caress'n laces.

Both games are so endless quoteable:

"Sure, we'll hide this... Giant gun"
"Poke 'em in the eyes, lads!"
"What. Do. You. Need. Sir?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the devs have changed the way detachments worked from the beta. Honestly this change sounds pretty good, and I'm encouraged that they listed to the feedback from players.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1546887657795510275

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So it looks like they're adding a North Africa campaign. That's pretty cool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Popete posted:

So it looks like they're adding a North Africa campaign. That's pretty cool.
It'll be linear rather than strategic like the Italian one. Nov 17 release date.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And the Deutsches Afrikakorps will be a faction in the game, so you have Germany, DAK, UK, and USA as the four factions on launch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It seems very weird that a game centered around Italy does not have Italy as a faction. I get that by the time the Allies were invading Italy it was basically Germany doing all the fighting but if they are expanding into North Africa there were plenty of Italian forces there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Italy's not a full faction but they've said there will be Italian units throughout. In fact, I think they might have said each army gets some sort of Italian doctrine to choose from.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the field kitchen spaghetti battalion

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I loved the multiplayer in CoH1. I really hope they can something as strong as the sniper/heavy MG/mortar gameplay to be the base of this game.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The alpha mission is neat but short and easy. Tanks seem a bit more fragile than in CoH2

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Played the mission. Seems pretty cool, standard stuff really. Soulless voice acting, unfortunately. Italian units are there too, got some light tanks and some infantry that you can't play with but you do get a call-in of Italian combat engineers with some sick looking gas masks and uniforms.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

A lot of the voice acting sounded like Canadians/Americans doing a very half-assed German accent, so I thought maybe those were placeholders

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

A lot of the voice acting sounded like Canadians/Americans doing a very half-assed German accent, so I thought maybe those were placeholders

I really hope so.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cognac McCarthy posted:

*checks release date*

lol no those are likely final

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I really doubt that. There's a ton of missing audio still and recycled lines.

My one gripe so far is that the infantry movement feels a little, I dunno, floaty? Hard to explain what I mean, but it sort of feels like they sort of glide over the terrain versus how they move in 2.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's not just a CoH issue but I really dislike it when games put coloured stripes/outlines on units as identifiers. You put all this effort into making nice looking models and then there are these big blue racing stripes all over it. I get that it's for players to more easily differentiate sides but I think it's already clear enough by the unit icons overhead icon. I hope you can disable that.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Duck_King posted:

I really doubt that. There's a ton of missing audio still and recycled lines.

My one gripe so far is that the infantry movement feels a little, I dunno, floaty? Hard to explain what I mean, but it sort of feels like they sort of glide over the terrain versus how they move in 2.

lol yeah, at least when I played if I put infantry on a tank the dude on the right side of the tank would sit in the air like 5 feet away and higher than the tank. They definitely have some work to get everything meshed and feeling natural. Praying the MP is half as good as CoH1 and I'll be happy.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The demo runs really well on my machine - they've optimized the hell out of it since the last alpha build. Game looks great.

I'm not as much a fan of the way tanks move. As another posted noted w/ infantry, they sort of just glide around like hover tanks. There's not much weight to them, which is weird. Also there doesn't seem to be much in the way of active abilities or skill shots, but that may just be a limitation of the demo.

I'm psyched for release. The game is already in a much better state than CoH2 was on release.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just want suppressed units to have their unit cards flash red in a bright icons again, I can't see it well with the new UI and it gives poor feedback for when your units need to get the gently caress out, as well as making you suppressing the enemy not feel as good.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
How is artillery feeling this time around?

In the first game the artillery felt real threatening, detonating with a real oomph and being truly menacing.

In the second game artillery felt a lot more “floaty” and not very impactful. Like, clearly it did damage based on hit points and all that jazz but there was always a disconnect with the visuals I feel.

What I’m saying is let’s make a game for us artillery spammers pls.

No. 4 gun! Open barrage! 16 degrees, FIRE!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Judging from the demo, arty is still pretty effective. There are a lot more terrain features for the maps (hills, ravines, etc) so indirect fire should be more useful as a result. I've definitely taken out a whole squad of enemies with one hit.

E: infantry needs some balancing against tanks IMO. As is, a group of 3 medium tanks is pretty much invulnerable to infantry if micro'd somewhat competently. Infantry take too much damage in general, and seem to die super easy even when in cover.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 19, 2022

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

A couple of the developers were interviewed on a recent episode of Three Moves Ahead. The host asks some interesting design and philosophy questions and they're a little wishy washy in their answers sometimes but it's still worth a listen

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/company-of-heroes-3-north-africa-interview

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Pretty cool new video going into the different story beats and choices players can make in the Italian overland campaign. Sounds pretty awesome that they are injecting some historical decision-making into the narrative. They also address the concerns many people have of an Axis campaign. Good to know they are positioning themselves to not be "both sides" about it.

Another new one on special missions like infiltration and assassination. Sounds pretty rad.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 8, 2022

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Game is delayed until February.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I wonder if the development has been troubled from some behind the scenes stuff. They have been super cagey about when it's coming out for 80% of the development, and now a delay.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not worried about it. The bit I've played of it was good so unless they manage to undo that it's probably just extra polish.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From the article my guess is a fairly comprehensive reskin along with the usual polishing and bug fixes. I don't personally care that much, but I've seen complaints that the units look "cartoony."

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

From the article my guess is a fairly comprehensive reskin along with the usual polishing and bug fixes. I don't personally care that much, but I've seen complaints that the units look "cartoony."

One of my gripes is when games paint the units with coloured outlines for easier identification, it looks very odd to me. I wish it was at least an option to turn it off.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mordja posted:

From my initial alpha play a while ago I would agree with that kinda. It felt more like CoH2 than 1 which is definitely an aesthetic change I wasn't a fan of.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
But yeah, I enjoyed both the SP and MP playtests, hope they do another of the latter pre-launch.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They're doing a USF showcase right now and I *think* they've already desaturated the skins a little.
https://twitch.tv/relicentertainment

E:They confirmed the game will launch with three battlegroups per faction, for US it's Armored, Airforce, and Special Operations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Console version inbound, it seems:

https://www.eurogamer.net/company-of-heroes-3-has-been-rated-on-console

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My god, guys, we've tried the "console RTS" before. It doesn't work! Stop doing it!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Especially CoH which can be fairly micro intensive at times.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I mean, modern consoles support mice and keyboards, don't see why not

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How many people actually do that though?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Popete posted:

How many people actually do that though?

Of the actual genres you'd expect, given its been a hardware standard since ps4? Exactly Warthunder and call of duty. Civilization, Stellaris, countless others? Nope.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The single player should be doable on consoles because you can pause, right? Can't see how multiplayer could be anything other than a mess, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OxMan posted:

Of the actual genres you'd expect, given its been a hardware standard since ps4? Exactly Warthunder and call of duty. Civilization, Stellaris, countless others? Nope.

I was thinking about how many players actually bother to plug in a keyboard/mouse but I didn't even think of developers supporting it.