Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

/in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

'whoops unable to accept invite'

hmm! i am not good at discord and might be doing something wrong

e; got it. googled and i had to use private chrome mode for whatever reason some cookies poo poo

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Kia ora! Oh gxd its 3:28am here :o

can't wait to pump up the jam with you all

beetles and stars

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

##vote The Ninth Layer

Bringing The Ninth Layer and myself into the mix.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There is a part of me that just feels the whole turbo-kufuffle is just hot air and shittalking but like, what else is there to do right? Forum mafia is about talking enough poo poo to get enough traction to actually have proper reads. It's just jump starting a motor. Hell, even this sentiment has probably been expressed on forum games of mafia for the last fifteen years. Time is a flat circle and all. Can we ever escape what has been preordained?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

##vote Maerlyn because i like your avatar

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

who are we turboin
a friend

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Please clarify your query!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah agreeeddd
I'm just saying things. I don't know if there is much to read into, with those posts. Page 4 joke postin'!

I will say Voodoofly is blowing my mind with the idea of doing things for optics. Is this true, Grandicap?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

I don’t know how you arrived on maerlyn after making that first post and also whether your maerlyn vote is real or a joke vote.
joke post

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Grandicap posted:

Do not like this post. Read either straight or dripping with sarcasm, I do not like it.
Definitely not dripping with sarcasm. I apologise to everybody for my posting and my posting style, I'm doing my best.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

##unvote

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ObamaAkbar. posted:

If you hate flavour arguments here comes the meta argument.

Grandi acts like he’s caught scum in mae because they backed off of the turbo, an argument I’m not buying UNLESS binus is also scum. Since then he’s picked apart every post they’ve made and doubled down on this read. This is something I’ve 100% seen him do as scum.

Outside of meta grandi somehow declared a town read on binus super early based on what exactly? Also if binus is town I honestly can’t fathom why scum would care about being involved in a turbo mislunch enough to draw attention to themselves. It feels more like awkward newbie to me. Grandi cares enough to check votefinder to dispel the newbie myth however their last game outside of steaks ongoing one was 8 years ago…

This is scum clinging to the first easy case they see and burrowing in.
##vote Grandicap
Not for OMGUS reasons, but more so that this makes sense to me. I also have a slight crack-ping on ObamaAkbar too. Because of Grandicap is town, ObamaAkbar is jumping on with an energy I feel warrants a small suspicion. At the moment I think its either Grandicap or Grandicap AND ObamaAkbar or ObamaAkbar as scummos but who knows

who knows

But I appreciate the explanation Grandicap and others, truly! :)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lotus Aura posted:

Leaves ##vote OA as the other real pick for me right now.
anything in particular or just general scumvibes?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm sensing a lot of suspicion in this game, but so far, only this post speaks to me

Voodoofly posted:

So are we playing in the real world or in your fantasy one where you have seen the future and are coming back to enlighten everyone?

1. I want to vote Grand. I am voting Grand. I think everyone else should vote Grand. Grand's posts are scummy and I don't believe his reasoning re: asking minus to explain more. You seem to agree on that.
2. I am fine voting Maer. I have no idea if she is town. I didn't think she was scummy but it's day 1 I am wrong all the time. But she provides a lot of info. Most of the people in this game have taken a stance on her, and it gives us a lot to analyze other players on. It also would have avoided dealing with a replacement and would also have avoided having to make any sort of game reliance on her exit post or whether a town or scum would make that post, which I'm happy to avoid dealing with.
3. Saying amni and grand have a point was sarcastic, considering I am voting grand right now.

So, where is my position where I'm voting her, knowing she is town, and jumping off grand and going home?
i think grand is scummy too and this post turned to me to. i am voting grandicap
(already voting them) and my reas

Grandicap posted:

I don't think it's you Voodoo, but it's definitely not me.
based on this post that feels a bit like it doesn't add anything or need to be said. i will admit i'm grasping at straws here because i'm not sure how to extract much more of a read out of anybody so i'm like 4% sure grandicap is scum and 1% sure anybody else is scum.
day 1 friends!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

checking in, honour bounding myself to effort posting, going to reread entire thread while its still short enough for me to bother!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ah ok read the thread while listening to early 2000s trance unce unce
(currently listening to: Kay Cee - Escape (DJ Icey Mix)
(mood: apathetic)

I see jen x as laid back scum, left the turbo on b-minus after retrofuturist and maerlyn did aka got cold feet but this wasn't talked of, and has stayed out of the limelight.

Maerlyn posted:

The whole build up feels weird in retrospect, I'm questioning Amni's intentions and the Amni/Grandicap/Retro Futurist triumvirate is worth watching.
yeah grandicap and retrofuturist strike me as possible scum pair, with retro on the turbo and grandicap taking the other side.

i was pinging maerlyn & grandicap as scumpair taking opposing sides but my read on bif is not as scummy so maybe not!

grandicap was curious on OA, me, and Maerlyn and lightly on somb earlier on day 1. somb+OA are confirmed town, maerlyn strikes me as town now so-
##vote grandicap

I thought voodoo not minding to vote town was a little murky so going to throw some light sprinkling of 'maybescum' that way but not too much - mild butter chicken.

I think The Ninth Layer was a lurker kill by scum. I feel I was just as much a lurker day 1 but peeps be sussing me so it makes sense for scum to lurker vote The Ninth Layer over me. I understand the votes towards me (and possible eventual execution) might be a nice play by scum with the seeds starting day 1 by grandicap.

that's all folks!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Leaving a turbo after two other people have already bailed seems more like a "moving on now that it's not happening" than a "got cold feet" though?
absolutely a correct read. i'm noting it, and it wasn't discussed yet as the centre of discussion has not pointed gen x's way. i wouldn't be surprised if it was grandicap, gen x and ????

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

it was as in
it is*
as in
scum

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

What is absolutely a correct read? My read, that totally disagrees with yours?
yes. maybe the word can be misconstrued, i should say 'fair' or 'i see how you may have that read'

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Ok fair enough. But anyway, are you trying to say that Jen leaving the turbo (after Maerlyn and RF already did) was scummy of her, and people really should have been making a bigger deal out of how scummy this was?
yes. but not that people should have been making a big deal of it. i wrote that it wasn't talk of, not that it should have been. i was noting what others haven't - providing an angle that maybe i caught that others didn't because i'm different eyes

i'm those d. eyes

those dee eyes
those dee ice
because i'm sliding around these defenders like the court was ice
and taking risky shots like i'm rolling some dice

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

yes. i feel like i made it clear that i did notice she left the turbo after other when i wrote she left the turbo after others in the post you quoted. maybe i missed it was Amni too but yeah, i had her as the last to unvote b-minus. i feel you have issue with my read or my logic and i'm here to say, i don't feel confortable discarding my read to fit whatever meta of what reads are valid and what reads aren't according to the older/experienced players when i feel it mine still makes sense. i mean, if this was a useless read and you are pointing that out to me, sure, but gen x did vote on the turbo, gen x did leave the turbo - which i not only think isn't just neutral nothing standard noise but actually significant and should be noted, which you seem to disagree with.

which is fine but i think there is a difference between disagreeing with a read and disagreeing with somebody even bringing up their read. screw never doing that.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Not only is staying on the turbo kinda silly when literally everyone else has left it (it's no longer happening), I'm also not sure why continuing to try for the turbo is supposed to be more towny to begin with.

There was a whole serious case by then revolving around Maerlyn, actual gameplay to get to as opposed to a turbo which is more of a jokephase kickstart icebreaker activity.

So yeah, this feels like an extremely fake case on Jen, and I hope I've said enough now for peeps to see what I'm on about voting Lamp, so I don't have to go on full murder squad round-up duty
not extremely fake. i'm voting grandicap anyway, not jen. i feel its not silly to stay on the turbo because its literally not a turbo if everybody has left it. gen x strikes me as more likely scum by association for being on the turbo and then leaving it then anything else, but tbh grandicap strikes me as much more scum than jen so eh. i was sort of formulating jen x/maerlyn as scum as per nonassociation/being on the other side of the turbo situation than grandicap - which would be a scum play. to have an 'issue' day 1 and be on other sides of it.

how many scum are probable in this game? do experienced players have a clue? i'm imaging 3 but it could be 2 i guess!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

btw I am very very glad actually that you brought up your read, so I have more stuff to point to haha

Trying to paint this as me "disagreeing with somebody even bringing up their read" is one more thing to point at actually. Nice bit of misdirection there.
no intentional misdirection. i could be wrong here but
quote="Bifauxnen" post="516487982"]
Ok fair enough. But anyway, are you trying to say that Jen leaving the turbo (after Maerlyn and RF already did) was scummy of her, and people really should have been making a bigger deal out of how scummy this was?
[/quote]
when you say 'people really should have be making a bigger deal'.. this seems to imply to me that you were questioning that i'm not only sharing my own organic read of a situation but saying, by virtue of bringing it up, that others should have done it earlier and that they didn't is either scummy or a mistake. i don't think bringing up a read that others haven't had nessitates that and asking me/implying that that is also what i'm saying strikes me as saying my post has more weight then i've written it as having - and thus should have only brought up my read if i was going to stand by that secondary claim that
quote="Bifauxnen" post="516487982"]
people really should have been making a bigger deal out of how scummy this was?
[/quote]
it just feels to me like you are saying 'oh, you are saying gen x is scummy and we all missed that/didn't make a big deal of it? so what are you implying?' which is to say 'your read is valid if and only if it includes the opinion that 'people really should have been making a bigger deal of how scummy this was?' otherwise, it isn't enough to post. like, so what you're saying is x because without x then your post is below the bar of substance. especially when followed up by:

Bifauxnen posted:

Ok did you also notice that Amni and Grand had also pretty blatantly left the turbo as well (to case Maerlyn for it) so by the time Jen left the turbo she was literally the only vote left on binus
[which is basically saying, did you notice this thing that happened - happened - and part of that thing is that jen was the only vote left on binus. which a) i did and b) my post literally said jen was the last/left on turbo so its like saying 'hey your read, did you even notice the basic facts of what your read is about? just checking??' which implies you seem to disagree with me even posting an organic read if it doesn't fit your meta/idea of what is good play or not based on the current sa meta whatever that is i have no idea.

so yeah. definitely not intentional misdirection on my part.wawaaaaa

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Grandicap posted:

Lamp is doubling down in the face of nothing here, keeping up their bad Jen read.

##vote Lampsacus
nooooooo
i am doubling down on the fact i can post bad reads, not that they can't be called bad or whatever.
my 'bad jen read' is literally that, as it stands as of this post:
jen x is on the other side of the turbo situation to grandicap
jen x has been out of the limelight in a way the others on the other side of the turbo situation to grandicap haven't
lets note that fact for the thread as it hasn't been noted yet, to my knowledge.

i absolutely stand by that read and its place as a minor note for the thread.

wupwup!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

i reckon its
bif/gen x
grandicap
???? i'm not sure if theres a third scum or not. with 15 players i guess it could be 2 or 3

come on and sla
and welcome to the ja

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Maybe I was wrong.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Amnistar posted:

Does scum lampsacus back down on a bad case...
there seems to be a wide circle for what is called a case.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

general reads:
Toalpaz: like they saw gen as whatever and sus of grandicap. i guess this is just confirmation bias but it does feel yay to see somebody else slamming in a similar patter - this clouds my judgement.
Amnistar: attentive player, i like their succent playstyle. goes with the gut, reads town to me.
b-minus1: i feel they are going to do well in the later game, but are in the wings for now. reads town to me although this post egh

b-minus1 posted:

Agreed. Grandi is pretty much confirmed town imo
Retro Futurist: reads neutral to me, no scum or town vibes really at the moment. i do like this guard block though:

Retro Futurist posted:

Town are wrong pretty often. If anything scum can be less wrong because they can be totally sure in their convictions in a way town can't. Plus you're assuming observers are inherently on the towns side

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Again, I wouldn't caterorize what I was saying about gen as a case. I vaguely had/has a case against grandicap, and gen did something which I thought was of note to the thread - but nowhere near what I would consider a case. I do find it interesting that a few peeps in the thread have got real stuck on the notion I have a 'case against gen' which I have literally protested since it started:

Lampsacus posted:

there seems to be a wide circle for what is called a case.

Lampsacus posted:

[...] its place as a minor note for the thread.[...]
OK and I don't even know where to start on Lotus Aura's post on me but two things here:

Lotus Aura posted:

I'm pretty okay with my vote staying on Lamp for the rest of today, too. His argument before was real bad and after rereading it to check if I wasn't just misreading it while half-awake, he comes off as incredibly insincere. I'm sure he'd probably handwave that away like when Grandi thought he was being sarcastic on D1, but in this instance it's more about what was being said than how. His case on Jen being manufactured was pretty well covered by Bif already, and I don't wanna just repeat what she already said but worse. But also, he voted for Grandi for.. being wrong about OA, and Somber to a lesser degree? And not because of anything actually scummy? I suppose that is consistent with his D1 when he voted for Grandi but still thought Grandi was almost definitely town, so it's basically the worst kinda consistent.
I'm sorry I've come across as incredibly insincere. I'm genuinely doing my best and being as sincere as possible. I'm being honest and open with my reads, I posted some misc. ones at the bottom of page 12. And handwave away? Doesn't handwave imply not putting much effort into explaining oneself? What leads you to think I'd 'handwave' this away? I"m happy to post as much as possible about my thought process and how I feel about any post. It's a little disengenius to say I'd 'handwave' it away when I literally wrote a number of posts explaining myself already. And again, the fact that you, and others, have decided I somehow have a 'case on gen' strikes me as odd and not sincere when I have said multiple times it's not really a case, more of an observation of note that I am not 100% going to stand and die on a hill on. I mean, I literally posted:

Lampsacus posted:

Maybe I was wrong.
when Lotus Aura pushed a point I saw as reasonable against the gen x thing being actually anything interesting. I repeat, I wrote:

Lampsacus posted:

Maybe I was wrong.
My feelings were/and still are/that grandicap is most likely scum. I mean, I now have other scummish reads based on the latest posts but, again, the idea that I had this 'case on gen' and keep triplying down on it is disingenuous at this point. Lotus Aura, why would you write this?

Lotus Aura posted:

Oh, I suppose the thing about Lamp that makes his case feel fake to me that hasn't been mentioned is that if it was dumb but sincere, once pretty basic fundamental issues with it had been pointed out, the obvious thing to do is admit as such and move on. Instead, he doubled and even tripled down on it like he was grasping for literally anything to use to declare someone scummy with seemingly minimal care about the who or the why.
When I replied to your post with:

Lampsacus posted:

Maybe I was wrong.
???? And then moved on to reads of other players? This strikes me as incredibly disingenuous.

I mean, I could go on but I feel it'll be more fodder for scum to somehow contort the idea that I have been doubling down on a manifested case against gen and also am being incredibly insincere. Which, you know, I feel I have been one of the emotive players so... insincerity? Hm.

Lastly, folk seem to be having trouble with this post so I've created some line breaks and fixed the quotes. You can click through it to compare it with the original:

Lampsacus posted:

no intentional misdirection. i could be wrong here but

Bifauxnen posted:

when you say 'people really should have be making a bigger deal'.. this seems to imply to me that you were questioning that i'm not only sharing my own organic read of a situation but saying, by virtue of bringing it up, that others should have done it earlier and that they didn't is either scummy or a mistake. i don't think bringing up a read that others haven't had nessitates that and asking me/implying that that is also what i'm saying strikes me as saying my post has more weight then i've written it as having - and thus should have only brought up my read if i was going to stand by that secondary claim that

Bifauxnen posted:

people really should have been making a bigger deal out of how scummy this was?

it just feels to me like you are saying 'oh, you are saying gen x is scummy and we all missed that/didn't make a big deal of it?

so what are you implying?' which is to say 'your read is valid if and only if it includes the opinion that 'people really should have been making a bigger deal of how scummy this was?' otherwise, it isn't enough to post. like, so what you're saying is x because without x then your post is below the bar of substance. especially when followed up by:

which is basically saying, did you notice this thing that happened - happened - and part of that thing is that jen was the only vote left on binus. which a) i did and b) my post literally said jen was the last/left on turbo so its like saying 'hey your read, did you even notice the basic facts of what your read is about? just checking??'

which implies you seem to disagree with me even posting an organic read if it doesn't fit your meta/idea of what is good play or not based on the current sa meta whatever that is i have no idea.

so yeah. definitely not intentional misdirection on my part.wawaaaaa

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Also, I will say the conflation with 'isn't how i'd do it' with 'dumb' is one of some of the experienced players biggest blindspots and errors so far.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

I agree that Lamp has made more of a minor observation than a case on Jen. But I don't think the distinction is important at all.

My own perception of the initial post was that it was either an attempt to build up into a full fake case later, or to make Jen look scummy without sticking his neck out to "make a case", so someone else could do the real pushing later. Or so he could just look like he was posting something when he didn't actually have much to contribute.

I believe this because the observation was so tilted, to suggest Jen was scummy for doing something completely unremarkable. I do have to say it almost does seem too scummy to be scum, to overlook how much the vote had moved on, with Amni and Grandi openly calling out Maerlyn as scummy, and ending the turbo they began to point the finger at her.

But when I poked at it to get more reactions from Lamp, instead of being like "oh whoops I didn't realise the turbo was already that completely over", or something to suggest he'd made an odd observation by mere accident, or saw Jen's particular vote change as unusual for some special reason... he seemed more concerned with how I perceived him, for making the observation.

He fixated on technicalities to try and prove that what he was saying was technically true and so it shouldn't be scummy for him to say it, rather than worry about whether the point was fair or not. "oh but I did mention that others had left the turbo before Jen!" (he'd only mentioned one or two other names instead of the fact that literally everyone but Jen had already moved on) or that angle where he was all, "well if you just don't want me to point out things I noticed, I can't agree with that..." (I was saying nothing of the sort)

The main thing that would help convince me Lamp is town is if he actually continued giving more observations than this one little teensy one (that we all need to know is definitely not a case or nothing), and if that new content and new opinions felt more genuine. But he has not done this yet.
Will reply later, busy now but good post and gives me stuff to think on, thanks. I will say what would have convince me you are town is if you continue to give me more observations that aren't about me or this one little teensy one (because I'm really not fixating on it, I'm replying to others fixating on it - hell, look at the top post of this page). But this thread has not done this yet. Again, I really feel I'm not fixating on it, I'm replying to others fixating on it. I mean, I could quote all the posts again if you want.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Grandicap posted:

I'll give you a hint as to why.
It's because Lamp is scum.
also lol that i'm the player apparently handwaving, being incredibly insincere and not explaining themselves when other peeps are literally posting this and its fine apparently????

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

one last thought, i have repeatedly reiterated that my main annoyance is people claiming i keep holding to it and harping on about this gen x thing when i literally said 'i might have been wrong', moved on, and then was told i am apparently still holding onto it it, can't let it go and oh my goodness so much else i can't be bothered dreding up again. it screams to me scum jumping on a mistake like flies to a carcass. jesus christ.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Eh that kinda post is just typical maf posturing, means nothing
to you. it means something to me when i've been told I'm not putting in the right effort or posting right and then people can just post that and it's all fine and dandy i mean perhaps there might be something going on there?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Not really lol
again, i said might be wrong. i moved on. i was told i hadn't admitted i was wrong, i was told i hadn't moved on. that's what annoyed me and was a bit hosed up for the thread to keep insinuating. and you don't want me to show this (again) through quoting posts is ????

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

Like to be fair, ever since I noticed a bit ago that Lamp wasn't some returning ancient vet like I first assumed, and only has a few actual games on their VF profile, I have started worrying that this is a case of flustered newb false positive.

But I still think that Lamp post I pointed out on D1 was also strange, and it looks like evidence of Lamp maybe having a hard time trying to come up with content as scum. So I'm not ready to drop it just yet.
not flustered, although i do feel perhaps you and others have been a bit flustered trying the push the whole 'lamp made a fabricated case on gen' vibes

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Not I, said the tortoise.
Not I, said the dove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel i have spent my quota of mental energy on this game for today answering posts who seem stuck on a fallacious meme that i am holding onto a insincere, fabricated case against gen x. I moved on, many posts from multiple people said i hadn't and cast suspicion and votes based on this. I am town and dont want to be executed so did what they did and went back to dredge up an old discourse because certain posters don't seem to acknowlege i said i was wrong and it was never 'a case' from thr start. If you want fresh takes, maybe poke a lurker or ask somebody else who hasn't been told he is the one who hasn't moved on when literally other posters, as of either this page or last, are still saying i haven't backed down from it and i am weirdly still trying to defend a bad, scummy, fake case. I am not. I said from the start it wasn't a case and i am not but that doesn't seem to matter.