Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Connected my iPhone to my Deck via Bluetooth, and now I can listen to podcasts while playing Vampire Survivor. Good poo poo.

John DiFool posted:

Are GuliKits available anywhere other than Amazon currently? I'm not sure I trust Amazon to deliver the real deal.

This is where I got mine from, but its sold out.
https://topgamegear.com/products/gulikit-hall-sensing-joystick-module-kit-replacement-for-steam-deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah Amazon has a hosed up inventory system that occasionally means you buy counterfeits but, I don't think anyone is making fake GuliKits at the moment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Definitely recommend this

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1556028087371956239?s=21&t=DFX58FrFdFlQrO-0D-cXPw

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Anyone messed with Shadow of Mordor on the deck? For me it's displaying keyboard and mouse controls rather than controller prompts. Also the map function doesn't work controller-wise. Any tips on resolving this?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've been playing it and it works fine, you're using the default input map? Not that it matters because it seems fairly well behaved when it comes to input mixing, I set it up for bow aiming with trackpad/gyro as mouse and it works great.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Weird, yeah, defaults... Wondering if maybe it's because I'm at work with no wifi and that confused the setup somehow, it did pop up a warning about playing offline. I'll fiddle with it more when I get home tonight.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
How often are y’all using community layouts compared to just rolling whatever default pops up? I fired up Prey and it had a wild default. It had me using like R5 to pick up objects.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I generally use the default layout, with maybe a couple of tweaks to change things to my taste. For example I'm currently playing the first Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster on it and I've set the left analog stick's capacitive touch feature to automatically press the B button when I'm touching it so whenever I'm using the thumb stick I'm always running.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Disappointing Pie posted:

How often are y’all using community layouts compared to just rolling whatever default pops up? I fired up Prey and it had a wild default. It had me using like R5 to pick up objects.

Prey had native Steam Controller support in the really early days of Steam Input. It had onscreen button prompts for the SC and it would change the layout based on if you were in game or in the menu and maybe a third layer.

I haven't checked Prey myself, but maybe it's just pulling the original Steam Controller configuration, which should still work ok.

That type of support for the Steam Controller and the Steam was always very rare and obviously never caught on. I hope that the Deck brings back devs putting in button prompts and hooks for different configuration layers.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

How often are y’all using community layouts compared to just rolling whatever default pops up?
I've generally been using the default (official or recommend) with modifications to the back grip buttons.

There's not much uniformity to face button mapping in 3D games except A for jump (except when it isn't) and I think even less for back grips.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve found some official layouts that seem absolutely dumb as poo poo. I usually just change them myself instead of trying to find someone else’s.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Idiot's step-by-step for vanilla or modded Java Minecraft on Deck

Anyone know how to get bedrock edition (either Windows or Android) working? It looks like there was a community supported edition but the guy stopped maintaining it..

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there a storefront for layouts? Someone said I should find one for StarCraft but when I open it and go to "community layouts" it just says it can't find any. Does it have to be for Steam specific games or are they sideloaded?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

For non-Steam games it’s based on whatever you title it. “GZDoom” will pull up different configs than “Doom,” for instance.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

caldrax posted:

Weird, yeah, defaults... Wondering if maybe it's because I'm at work with no wifi and that confused the setup somehow, it did pop up a warning about playing offline. I'll fiddle with it more when I get home tonight.

Yeah, got home and tried it on wifi and it worked. I hope it was just a one time thing and I'll be able to play offline in the future.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've been having some weird problems with mine in offline mode. Like if I try to put it in offline mode without an active wifi connection it completely bugs out and goes into a sort of "half-offline" mode that doesn't actually get recognized as offline mode (and can't be reset to online mode) until I full reboot the Deck. In this quasi-offline mode launching games becomes a complete crapshoot as to whether they'll work out not (probably because Steam doesn't actually know if it's online or not). Fortunately my job does have a wifi network and the Deck can sign on to it (unlike the Switch, but that doesn't really care if it's online or not like the Deck does).

I'll have to try putting it in offline mode before I go somewhere at some point, but I usually forget because I'm not used to thinking about that with my devices.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Being off network hasn't really been an issue with me much so far, most games just go "oh I can't go online" and then go about their merry way, the Shadow of Mordor thing was the first problem I've had. But I haven't tried many games that check in with servers. Metal Gear Solid has been flawless without a net connection, except for one time when the cloud save didn't sync and I accidentally loaded the wrong one and lost one side mission's worth of progress.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Has anyone here played Noita on this thing? I've wanted to try it out (haven't bought it yet), but I'm not in the mood for KB+M games. How does it play with the controller only?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
When I first got a Switch I was Seriously Concerned with games working in offline mode. But with the Deck? Meh, anywhere I'd use it either has WiFi or hotspot, and anywhere that doesn't (airplanes) I wouldn't be taking it in the first place.

(This isn't to excuse offline functionality from not working, I'd just probably never notice.)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

My deck comes in Tuesday! :D

Cowman fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 7, 2022

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Chinook posted:

Has anyone here played Noita on this thing? I've wanted to try it out (haven't bought it yet), but I'm not in the mood for KB+M games. How does it play with the controller only?

I felt equally bad at the game. It runs very well though! The precision of a mouse might be preferable, but I think it's still a perfectly acceptable controller game.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Cowman posted:

My deck comes in Tuesday! :D

I hope it does! If it’s FedEx, though, maybe temper your expectations.

The Postman posted:

I felt equally bad at the game. It runs very well though! The precision of a mouse might be preferable, but I think it's still a perfectly acceptable controller game.

Thank you. I will pick it up.

I’ve been playing a weird old game called Dark Scavenger (probably a bundle game from a decade ago) because it is Steam Deck verified or whatever. It’s very fun, although it’s very fiddly with the trackpad mouse. I don’t think it has any kind of controller support unfortunately. But it is kind of like a game book (Sorcery, etc), and I love that sort of thing. Maybe check it out if it’s buried in your backlog.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

How do the DOSBox offerings work on the Deck, like say if I wanted to play Hexen? Any tweaks or shenanigans needed to get them to launch, or do they work out of the box, or not at all?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the 3d realms anthology uses dosbox and none of it worked for me. probably because it was the windows version of dosbox. i assume if you used linux dosbox it'd be fine, or w/e comes with emudeck

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

FYI Hexen itself is on Steam, but I assume that was just an example and you really care about Dosbox in general

e: I just realised that it uses dosbox under the hood too. Ignore me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GZDoom has a flat pack install from the Discover store so I’d just follow a setup guide for that

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xalidur posted:

How do the DOSBox offerings work on the Deck, like say if I wanted to play Hexen?
I'd be curious of the version of Chocolate DOOM on Flathub supports Hexen. If you could install that, run the setup program from the terminal, and then add it as a non-Steam game.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
You guys were right about Vampire Survivors.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Boneraiser Minions is also good on the deck. It might even suit it better since it doesn't seem to get quite as apocalyptically crazy as VS...so far.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Xalidur posted:

How do the DOSBox offerings work on the Deck, like say if I wanted to play Hexen? Any tweaks or shenanigans needed to get them to launch, or do they work out of the box, or not at all?

You can install DosBox-X natively in desktop mode linux and just open it and run games via game mode.

There are multiple ways of doing that via some frontend like Heroic Launcher I'm sure. Or Steam ROM manager that gets installed with emudeck. Dosbox works perfectly as such.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

god I loved that game. Some of the best shotgun noises to ever cross my subwoofer. How does it run on the deck?

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

god I loved that game. Some of the best shotgun noises to ever cross my subwoofer. How does it run on the deck?

Perfectly stable 60 fps with everything on the highest settings.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

I installed it thanks to his link. Played for about 15 minutes and it was a locked 60fps on default settings. But consumes over 20w. I lowered the screen fresh down to 45 and that feels smooth and runs at 15w, giving you an extra hour of battery life.

I tend to not play my games over an hour, so I’ll probably go back to 60.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SpacePope posted:

Animal posted:

I installed it thanks to his link. Played for about 15 minutes and it was a locked 60fps on default settings. But consumes over 20w. I lowered the screen fresh down to 45 and that feels smooth and runs at 15w, giving you an extra hour of battery life.

I tend to not play my games over an hour, so I’ll probably go back to 60.

That’s the magic number I was hoping for! :getin:

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

revtoiletduck posted:

You guys were right about Vampire Survivors.

It's so good, just started playing today. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's very addictive.

I'm also really enjoying Heat Signature which is a great top-down spaceship roguery game. Runs great on the Deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SpacePope posted:

Kind of insane. Yes the resolution is lower, but this was a 30fps console game (I guess because Jaguars weren't very good).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Is there any customization or alternate options for the desktop mode onscreen keyboard? Can’t seem to find anything.

I’d like to have like ctrl keys and that sort of thing, would make messing around with the command line a bit easier. I just don’t want to be bothered with using a real keyboard.

I’d also like it to treat the shift bumper like an actual shift key instead of the weird toggle poo poo it does. When I type a capital with it it defaults to holding down the shift for the next key.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Eeyo posted:

Is there any customization or alternate options for the desktop mode onscreen keyboard?
If you open the Steam (desktop) settings and go to Controller you can modify what the buttons/inputs do in desktop mode.

You probably want to export the default configuration first though since it's not actually a preset you can reload later otherwise. Also when in the Steam settings if you're not using a real keyboard/mouse you have to hold down the Steam button to make the trackpad work. Otherwise you can probably setup a button toggle Ctrl or whatever.

That said, none of that affects things when the keyboard overlay is actually up. So all I did was map the dpad to up/down arrows to make running stuff from history easier, and set RT to "enter" so it works the same when the keyboard is open or closed.

Really though if you're doing anything moderately complex on the command line just start sshd and login from a computer with an actual keyboard.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The trackpad keyboard is great imo, I can type insanely quickly with it, although I guess I have a lot of practice from the Steam Controller. You definitely need cursor key binds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Chinook posted:

It's... okay. Aiming is kind of a pain in the rear end.