Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bought the steam version of FF14 years ago and everything has worked out don’t listen to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Framboise posted:

Looking it up, looks like my service account expired, would I need to make a new one anyway?

No.

If you make a new account you wouldn’t have access to your older character. If you really don’t care about that then you could just get the steam version and it would be a lot less hassle.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Framboise posted:

Looking it up, looks like my service account expired, would I need to make a new one anyway?

You should just be fine buying more game time.

I just came back to FFXIV after 8 years off and all I had to do was buy more game time and immediately could use my character.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Veotax posted:

Don't buy the game again from Steam, the Steam version isn't compatible with the regular PC version and you would have to register it to a new service account and make a new character.

You should be able to install the Deck version of XIVLauncher and download and play the game that way. Someone posted a link to it a while back, I'd dig that up but I'm phone posting.

The Steam version runs fine for me through it, I imagine the regular PC version will too

FFXIV is my play every so often when I get an MMO itch game, but their account management system is such a loving hot mess.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AfricanBootyShine posted:

You can use a non-steam account with xivlauncher.

https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck.html

This worked just fine for me to play with my Square copy. It’s a little goofy having to download the FF14 trial on Steam but it’s just a launcher so you don’t have to lose a chunk of storage space.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

jokes posted:

I bought the steam version of FF14 years ago and everything has worked out don’t listen to them.
That's because you had the steam version. It literally does not work without issues if you have the PC version instead (Squareenix treats them as different licenses like the PC vs PS4, and will not allow you to have both steam and PC licenses.)

It's a mess, and you're wrong to just tell people that it just works IF they are in the situation the OP is in.

It does work great with XIVLauncher though, you need to have the free trial (steam version) installed for that to work but that's covered in the walkthrough on the site.

And as someone said: if you don't care about the account/characters (and the paid expansions you had) yeah you can just switch to a steam account for it.

nerox posted:

FFXIV is my play every so often when I get an MMO itch game, but their account management system is such a loving hot mess.
:yeah:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you already have a PC or a Steam version you can't cross that line by buying the separate license, which is annoying. However if you're starting over I'd recommend a Steam license.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

If you already have a PC or a Steam version you can't cross that line by buying the separate license, which is annoying. However if you're starting over I'd recommend a Steam license.

I agree with this.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Just got my steam deck and the battery is totally drained on this thing :(

I was gonna set it up and play with it a bit but I have to charge it first.

Edit: Ok it's normal. Just need to plug it in for a bit according to their website and it'll wake up.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 9, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Approximately how long does it take from when you click to buy a Deck till it shows up at your house? A week?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Cartoon Man posted:

Approximately how long does it take from when you click to buy a Deck till it shows up at your house? A week?

Roughly that, yea. I ordered mine last Thursday and got it today but for most people it's been around a week.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Cartoon Man posted:

Mine took 10 days. I've seen people say from 1 to 2 weeks usually.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
It’s a very cool piece of hardware, but be wary if you fill the pre-order expecting to resell it easily if you don’t feel the vibe for whatever reason. I’m in a relatively large tech-adjacent city and have a 512gb listed for the retail price and have been struggling to find a buyer for over a week. There’s another 512 at the same price point in the same position on all listing services.

On the bright side, none of the units being scalped for 1.5x to 2x price are moving.

The size of the pre-order queue should really not be used to assume market interest in the device, that’s for sure. I think it will be pretty easy to pick one of these up used for a 40% or more discount in a year or so, based on how hard it is to sell one at-cost while they are still a limited availability item.

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 9, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The courier network they used didn't have the pinpoint accuracy that amazon and other services provide, just to add to the frustration of knowing it was somewhere nearby.

At least the local mail depot was happy to let me collect on a Saturday despite their website saying never go try to collect from the mail depot, there are big dogs and sea monsters, so that was nice.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

jokes posted:

Yeah, you just need to know that the Steam version is sanctioned off account wise. If you buy the game on Steam, you have to buy the expansions on Steam, and for some reason Square always seems to put the Steam version on sale at a different time to elsewhere.

But I always buy the expansions as soon as they're available, so it doesn't really effect me. :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I ended up with two and the first one took 4 days and the second took like 9 days so YMMV a bit

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Chubby Henparty posted:

The courier network they used didn't have the pinpoint accuracy that amazon and other services provide, just to add to the frustration of knowing it was somewhere nearby.

Reading this in Die-Hardman's voice

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I ordered Saturday morning and have it in hand today. Super psyched to keep playing Divinity OS2 on my couch.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
This may be a little OT, but does anyone have recommendations for 2D top-down action-adventure games (basically A Link to the Past)? I have a surprisingly low amount of that type of game in my Steam library (only Chronicon, CrossCode and Cubetractor).

I'm also good with something that has a little more RPG (something like Crystalis).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

This may be a little OT, but does anyone have recommendations for 2D top-down action-adventure games (basically A Link to the Past)? I have a surprisingly low amount of that type of game in my Steam library (only Chronicon, CrossCode and Cubetractor).

I'm also good with something that has a little more RPG (something like Crystalis).

Tunic. Don’t be fooled by the cute art style. It’s an amazingly creative game and the soundtrack is top notch.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quixzlizx posted:

This may be a little OT, but does anyone have recommendations for 2D top-down action-adventure games (basically A Link to the Past)?
I had fun with Blossom Tales, which is definitely Zelda/LttP inspired. It leans more on dungeon puzzle side of things. You could do worse for $4.

It's sequel comes out next week too.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there a way to share steam deck specific settings? As in, in game graphics settings as well as battery optimizations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Cowman posted:

Is there a way to share steam deck specific settings? As in, in game graphics settings as well as battery optimizations.
You mean like https://sharedeck.games/?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NomNomNom posted:

I ordered Saturday morning and have it in hand today. Super psyched to keep playing Divinity OS2 on my couch.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is extremely good on the deck if you like CRPGs

Be aware, in order to use custom portraits you need to use Mouse+KB! I was spinning my wheel for hours until I figured this out!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Quixzlizx posted:

Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos i would recomend if you want something thats inspired by aLttP to a fault. It has a zelda like overworld to explore and procedually generated dungeons coupled with a roguelite upgrade system. Up to 4 player multiplayer too.

If you're interested in something a bit different check out Chicory: a Colourful tale, a top down adventure about ~being creative~ that limits combat to boss encounters. Genuinely one of my favorite games ever made, really charmingly written and authentic for a game about animal people named after foodstuffs.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

It’s extremely rough by modern game standards, but this was amazingly fun back in the day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Omen:_Legacy_of_Kain

They don’t sell it in the Steam store but if you emulate, the PS1 version should be fine, I would think.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

any other good websites like this?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I was hoping for one that's official like they do with controller configurations but this works for now, thanks!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

any other good websites like this?
OP's link and comments all seem great https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wk2o8d/psa_protondbcom_is_the_best_source_for_finding/

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Quixzlizx posted:

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion.

Death's Door and Tunic are isometric but both heavily inspired by LttP.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I haven't played Turnip Boy yet, but I'll mention that it's part of an IndieGala bundle right now (which I actually picked up for Blue Fire since the Switch version runs so poorly).

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Been wanting to play Catherine for years and it seems like a perfect Steam Deck game, getting mine tomorrow.

I hear the Steam version runs terribly – does anyone have experience on how to best play this game on Deck?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is Eastward your jam?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if anyone wants to play any of the Legacy of Kain games, don't bother playing the Steam versions, just emulate. they were made in a bygone age and run into tons of issues related to that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone tried emulating Xbox 360? I’d love to play that leaked goldeneye remake build but I don’t necessarily want to buy an x360 to hack for just one game.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for all of the recommendations, everyone. I think I'll pick up Blossom Tales immediately, since it's on sale, but I've wishlisted a bunch of others.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Is there any site that reviews the playability of a steam decks screen? The amount of tiny as f text in games that are verified is getting out of hand here. I'm looking at Disco Elysium specifically.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the aya neo air is getting pretty good reviews with one of the biggest features being the oled screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWA9IZNjmi4

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

shrike82 posted:

the aya neo air is getting pretty good reviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWA9IZNjmi4

It should be great if all you wanna play is 2D or low poly indie titles and older games. I’m jealous of the OLED screen… c’mon Valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I bet vampire survivors would look terrific on that thing