Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it wasn't advertised at all. this is entirely on squeenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I was afraid of that, after the game's position in the Famitsu sale charts on its release week was very poor. :(

It just seems like the game wasn't marketed...anywhere. I get that NEO wasn't going to have much appeal to people who weren't already familiar with the original, but they could've at least tried...

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

This literally falls entire on Square Enix. They did not advertise this game whatsoever. I saw actual TWEWY fans who didn't even know a sequel had been announced- about a month before it was actually released.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Amazon cancelled my preorder on the Mr. Mew plush, and the Square Enix store wants $21 shipping for a $25 doll. This sucks.

serefin99 posted:

This literally falls entire on Square Enix. They did not advertise this game whatsoever. I saw actual TWEWY fans who didn't even know a sequel had been announced- about a month before it was actually released.
It's crazy how many times I've seen Neo be advertised on twitter by Wario64, and then the replies say poo poo like "this port has bad controls, play DS instead." From people apparently familiar with the game, looking at the PS4 boxart, and somehow still unable to process that a sequel exists.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lmao Twitter anime av people never change

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

oh yeah the chuds are all in on this being the REAL reason neo failed
the loving libturds ruin everything!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My favorite part about chuds complaining about the "is this cultural appropriation?" line is that it's being caused by noise and the answer is "no it's fine and good"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i didn't get a screencap but in the replies someone linked a fan mod in the works to 'fix' the translation and it simply looked blander
some people truly don't understand what localization is

was the original even a chud favourite or do these people just only know that screenshot

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 27, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Somehow I’ve gotten this far without running into any anime chuds but then again I guess 4chan radicalized a lot of people. I guess I’ve just been lucky so far!

Anyway that joke about cultural appropriation was funny so

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Killingyouguy! posted:

was the original even a chud favourite or do these people just only know that screenshot

The original had the 'welcome to capitalism' line so no, it wasn't. I'd wager that the vast majority of people complaining about Neo's translation never even played the original.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

serefin99 posted:

The original had the 'welcome to capitalism' line so no, it wasn't. I'd wager that the vast majority of people complaining about Neo's translation never even played the original.

The biggest evidence of this is with the way they tried to use the way Beat speaks as their "evidence" which... was like that in the original game as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

The biggest evidence of this is with the way they tried to use the way Beat speaks as their "evidence" which... was like that in the original game as well.

For that matter, doesn’t Beat use some kind of similar dialect in the Japanese version of the series as well?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
On the marketing for Neo twewy,

Extremely confusing title to begin with. If you have to google if it’s a sequel or not to the original game, you got an issue on your hands. Also released in a low key way in between big releases but don’t forget they made a whole rear end anime adaptation of the first game.

It sucks but oh well. Lessons for next time. But also don’t discount that maybe there really just wasn’t that much interest in a sequel too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TWEWY was incredibly niche and had a cult following. They definitely could have pushed the Final Remix of the first game more in the lead up to the sequel and maybe picked a title that was less confusing. I highly doubt they will continue the series at this point, hell I was shocked they even made Neo TWEWY but we’re lucky they did because it owns.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, TWEWY was my #1 "I would like a sequel to this game and I will Literally Never Get One".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

Don't know about a chud favorite, specifically, but TWEWY was a /v/ darling for a decade

marumaru
May 20, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, TWEWY was my #1 "I would like a sequel to this game and I will Literally Never Get One".

Same, and what was more surprising to me was that it actually turned out to be very fun

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don't know about a chud favorite, specifically, but TWEWY was a /v/ darling for a decade

So yes, seeing as /v/ is chud central now

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

marumaru posted:

Same, and what was more surprising to me was that it actually turned out to be very fun

Yeah, I didn’t feel like a sequel was literally impossible but I expected it to be a hollow attempt at capturing the original rather than an arguably better successor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Comparatively speaking, how did the first game do in terms of sales and promotion when it was initially released on the DS out of curiosity?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

Comparatively speaking, how did the first game do in terms of sales and promotion when it was initially released on the DS out of curiosity?

It looks like it sold around 350k copies worldwide in the first year. Which doesn't seem bad at all for a non-DQ, non-FF JRPG, especially one with a portable system budget. But I guess Squenix thought that wasn't successful considering how long it took to get a sequel.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I didn’t feel like a sequel was literally impossible but I expected it to be a hollow attempt at capturing the original rather than an arguably better successor.

i think TWEWY was a better game for the time when it came out than NEO was when it came out. that said, i had more fun with NEO than i think i would replaying TWEWY. (and i haven't even beaten NEO yet. unlike at the time of TWEWY's launch, i'm old and have very little free time now)
NEO really owns and i'm really really grateful that it exists

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

It looks like it sold around 350k copies worldwide in the first year. Which doesn't seem bad at all for a non-DQ, non-FF JRPG, especially one with a portable system budget. But I guess Squenix thought that wasn't successful considering how long it took to get a sequel.

Since they did the anime I think they expected it would do much better

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Breaking Free (Acoustic Ver.) preview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTg0wHb1mSI

Personally, i'm cry

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

Breaking Free (Acoustic Ver.) preview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTg0wHb1mSI

Personally, i'm cry

that was so good, dang

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, the dub of the TWEWY anime finally finished today. Despite only one member of the original voice cast coming back for whatever reason I have to say they did manage to pick some decent soundalikes at least

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So I saw that recently ALI started reuploading some of their songs (Lost In Paradise, specifically, the Jujutsu Kaisen ED) after the whole thing with their drummer blew over/got resolved (not sure tho) and it made me wonder if we have or are going to get an official version of Teenage City Riot

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I picked this up after a while to see if I could finish my pin collection. I got to lv 100 and am trying to get gold on the Another Day dive and it seems impossible. My damage output seems very low, I think I wasn’t vigilant enough about eating food as often as possible to raise my characters’ stats because they seem kinda weak now. Everybody’s attack is in the 400-500 range except Rindo who has that crazy sword accessory so his attack is like 600. Is that way too low? Should I just be eating a shitload of ramen bowls to boost everyone’s attack?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I picked this up after a while to see if I could finish my pin collection. I got to lv 100 and am trying to get gold on the Another Day dive and it seems impossible. My damage output seems very low, I think I wasn’t vigilant enough about eating food as often as possible to raise my characters’ stats because they seem kinda weak now. Everybody’s attack is in the 400-500 range except Rindo who has that crazy sword accessory so his attack is like 600. Is that way too low? Should I just be eating a shitload of ramen bowls to boost everyone’s attack?

Eating certainly couldn't hurt. I think the most efficient Attack boosting food is actually the coffee at Hachiko Cafe, since it's +1 Attack for only 80 calories. This gives you +12 Attack for each character without going above your capacity, or +13 if you decide you want to go a little over. And since you'll be eating so many times, this also gives you a chance for a bunch of Tasty bonuses to increase your other stats as well.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Are you using the ATK Boost IV equipment? Neku, Beat, and Minamimoto each have one, and while the exact values vary, they're still fairly significant boosts, ranging from 35% to 50%.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rea posted:

Are you using the ATK Boost IV equipment? Neku, Beat, and Minamimoto each have one, and while the exact values vary, they're still fairly significant boosts, ranging from 35% to 50%.

Yes, although it’s kind of weird. I gave Neku a Def Boost IV item and his Defense stat increased and turned green. Same thing when I give a HP boost item to anyone. But when I give him ATK Boost IV which is supposed to increase it 50% but the stat doesn’t change nor does it turn green. It certainly doesn’t seem like he is doing significantly more damage. Same with those other two characters. Really confusing and annoying.

I might try the coffee thing. Everybody has nearly maxed HP and pretty high defense but I also spent a lot of my food money on cans of air to boost style earlier on.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yes, although it’s kind of weird. I gave Neku a Def Boost IV item and his Defense stat increased and turned green. Same thing when I give a HP boost item to anyone. But when I give him ATK Boost IV which is supposed to increase it 50% but the stat doesn’t change nor does it turn green. It certainly doesn’t seem like he is doing significantly more damage. Same with those other two characters. Really confusing and annoying.

I might try the coffee thing. Everybody has nearly maxed HP and pretty high defense but I also spent a lot of my food money on cans of air to boost style earlier on.

Does he have enough Style?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The ATK Boost ability is less 'Attack Boost' and more 'Damage Boost'. It actually applies its multiplier after everything else that increases your damage, which is why it doesn't reflect that change in your stats. Or at least, that's the explanation I heard way long ago.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WrightOfWay posted:

Does he have enough Style?

I didn’t check…? I think so, everybody has pretty much max style

serefin99 posted:

The ATK Boost ability is less 'Attack Boost' and more 'Damage Boost'. It actually applies its multiplier after everything else that increases your damage, which is why it doesn't reflect that change in your stats. Or at least, that's the explanation I heard way long ago.

Okay that was what I would have guessed. Wait, I just realized that I am playing on Ultimate and could drop the difficulty to Normal, couldn’t I? But not easy, right? gently caress why didn’t I think of that?!

Edit: I set the difficulty to Normal and demolished the Dive. Feeling real stupid rn, oh well at least it’s done and I finished the social network and can grind pins from bosses.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 13, 2022

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Decided to pick up the game again after dropping it on the second Scramble. Good plan, except that I still have to do the Scramble.

Do I need top place for anything?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There are unique prizes for getting the max point goal on each scramble but they aren't necessary for anything. If you want you can come back later in the game while way overpowered and get them much easier.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ultimate difficulty also gives you a nutso score bonus during them, utterly trivializing them. You can come back after unlocking that to grab the top prizes if you really want them.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Fat Samurai posted:

Decided to pick up the game again after dropping it on the second Scramble. Good plan, except that I still have to do the Scramble.

Do I need top place for anything?

Define 'need'. If you care about trophies or completion, then each Scramble Slam rewards a unique pin for first place. If you just care about progressing the story, you don't even have to place I don't think.

Like Regy said though, you can just come back during the post game and get them easily if you care about them. Like, from experience, I went in with the game's 'ultimate' pin set and with the mindset of just trying to breeze through battles as quick as I could and still ended up getting like the 2nd place prize. If I had tried even a little, I could have easily gotten first place.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks. Knowing myself, trying to get first prize will make me drop the game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1551945491809591296?t=9lumkAvtxL9Rtx0G4r4DAw&s=19