Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I Am Fowl posted:

Camila is a capable adult, a nurse, and a single parent of two kids, what with Vee now.

She probably stole the identity of some dead kid from the hospital.

She's a veterinarian, which is how she could support all those kids on a single income. That and extreme couponing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know people like to group and compare Owl House, Amphibia, and Gravity Falls a lot, but not many throw Star Vs in the mix.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Amphibia did didn't squat for me ngl.

Star had a rough start too, but it eventually settled into a good groove (and then mostly lost that after Tofee died).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I actually sort of liked the back half of Star Vs for the most part though I still feel that they got rid of Toffee a bit too soon

Amphibia gets better after the first season in my opinion but despite getting cut short a bit I feel like TOH has the better ending overall

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I give you, Owl House The Movie (aka all of Season 3 compiled together into one video):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2i4vqSFxM

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 13, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some alternate designs for post timeskip Amity:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they went with what they did, but if it had to be different then I'd choose the all-brown last one. I mean it really ties in to the original reason she changed hairstyle in the first place, which is to say not forcing herself to look like her siblings/her mom.

Plus later it would have additional significance after her dad is revealed to be an actual decent guy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while I love the sky pirate look they did go with I’ve always kind of been partial to Amity’s natural brown hair color to be honest

Anyway, here’s the source of the above image along with more finale related design sketches:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrBY1wcqoSi/

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They should've gone with the half-and-half hair for Lilith.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Watched the finale yesterday. And I don't know exactly what to think.

Of the three specials, the fist one was easily the best. The second existed. And the actual finale... so I don't know what exactly I expected, but titan-powered Luz was not one of them and I don't know if I fully liked that. I think I would have preferred for Luz's participation in the final battle against Belos to be together with her "team" of Amity, Willow, Gus, and Hunter. And Luz's palisman just... didn't feel like it ever did anything, after all that buildup. It felt more like a prop. Should absolutely have hatched already back in season 2. But I wouldn't call any of the S3 episodes bad, as such.

Obviously it's the fault of that they didn't get a full third season, but the pacing of season 3 didn't feel great. I really have to wonder if, for said pacing reasons, it would actually have been better to have them not go to the human world. And I don't say that lightly, because like I said that episode was my favourite of the three and Camila's a great character (if criminally underused in the actual finale). But still.

I wouldn't call the ending a complete disappointment or anything, but I'm still left feeling that they didn't completely manage to stick the landing, but I can't elucidate why exactly. All in all, The Owl House was definitely a better show than Amphibia, but there is no question in my mind that Amphibia's conclusion felt more satisfying.

I'll probably have to sit on this a bit. Scroll through Thanks to Them and For the Future. Maybe it would have worked better if the three specials had come out closer to each other.

And some of it might just be me being bitter about what we should have gotten as our concluding third season.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 15, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looks like Hooty got a job with the US Government

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1647069281207681027

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Looks like Hooty got a job with the US Government

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1647069281207681027

I mean, it's good he's getting work still...

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Now that the show's over, anyone got any good fanfic recommendations?

Any length, any subject, any rating. Open to all suggestions.

Except gore-fests.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CidGregor posted:

Now that the show's over, anyone got any good fanfic recommendations?

Any length, any subject, any rating. Open to all suggestions.

Except gore-fests.

It's come up in the thread before, but https://moringmark.tumblr.com/archive
They've really got a handle on the characters. Tons of little what-ifs from a variety of stepping-off points, many of which are now obsolete because they were made well before the finale, but still entertaining.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Madurai posted:

It's come up in the thread before, but https://moringmark.tumblr.com/archive
They've really got a handle on the characters. Tons of little what-ifs from a variety of stepping-off points, many of which are now obsolete because they were made well before the finale, but still entertaining.

Was looking for something a little more on the narrative/prose side of things, but hey, MoringMark's always a good suggestion for anyone unfamiliar! I am a big fan of this artist and check in with them regularly, very solid stuff all around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A little post series Q&A video with some of the cast and crew:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rO1IscHLfss

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Genre \ fantasy story writing 101:

The heroes win because of their personality \ character development arc. Even if its an external artifact \ weapon, it has to be something they wouldn't have gotten their hands on if they weren't brave, kind, driven etc.

The villain loses because of some inherent flaw of their character \ philosophy.

Amphibia's "everyone you've helped over the course of three seasons joins together to fight the ultimate bad guys, who don't value the diversity of blah blah blah" may have been cliche as hell and fairly fanservice heavy, but it worked, damnit.

A literal deus ex machina doesn't work at all. The entire squad being technically present at the final confrontation but only the main trio playing a meaningful part in the conclusion is... just lame. The entire confrontation with Belos was utterly unengaging - unearned and utterly tension free.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
My main problem with Owl House vs Amphibia (quite liking both shows a whole lot!) is that I give a poo poo about pretty much all of Amphibia's supporting cast by the end.

Whereas like Gus and Willow and even more tertiary characters are ... there also.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Genre \ fantasy story writing 101:

The heroes win because of their personality \ character development arc. Even if its an external artifact \ weapon, it has to be something they wouldn't have gotten their hands on if they weren't brave, kind, driven etc.

The villain loses because of some inherent flaw of their character \ philosophy.

Amphibia's "everyone you've helped over the course of three seasons joins together to fight the ultimate bad guys, who don't value the diversity of blah blah blah" may have been cliche as hell and fairly fanservice heavy, but it worked, damnit.

A literal deus ex machina doesn't work at all. The entire squad being technically present at the final confrontation but only the main trio playing a meaningful part in the conclusion is... just lame. The entire confrontation with Belos was utterly unengaging - unearned and utterly tension free.

I feel like most of this could have been solved by having a full season's worth of episodes to do it in.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Just watched this show with the gf the last week and a bit. Definitely sucks that they didn't get a chance to flesh out season 3 a bit more. Or have more seasons in general.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I liked Season 3 for the most part and thought the show ended about as well as it could have given the circumstances but it’d be interesting to know what the show would have been like had it not gotten cut short (though some elements were clearly part of the show from the beginning like Hunter, Vee, Phillip, and possibly the Collector though he’d have likely been very different from the one we actually got)

I do hope they release some kind of book for the series eventually along the lines of Journal #3 from Gravity Falls, The Book or Spells from Star Vs, and Marcy’s Journal from Amphibia though

Apparently one of the writers does have a new show in the works called Neon Galaxy but nothing official’s been released regarding it yet

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 6, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think more time in the human realm could have been fun, they said they were there for months and we got a couple episodes worth of stuff.

I got pretty invested in the show, probably more than any other I’ve seen so we’ll watch Amphibia next and hope that it fills the hole left behind.

Actually what I really wanted was a Kipo/Owl House crossover, they’d never make it but I can dream

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kipo's first two seasons are so good.

The third season has its moments.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kipo was good and I still kind of wish they’d do a sequel, but it’s probably not happening at this point

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just finished this. drat what a good show.

My older niece just cosplayed as Power Luz at DragonCon (where they did a mass reenactment of the "byeee!" group shot at the end), and since you don't see that character design until the very last episode she really made me work for the reference, cramming from then till now. But boy it was worth it

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
That sounds awesome! Wouldn't mind seeing a picture, if you don't mind sharing? :shobon:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(removed)
(will remove after a bit probably)

And here's the group photo:
https://i.imgur.com/sBEtoJB.mp4

"There were so many hooties" she said

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 18, 2023

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Pretty sweet costume! Glad you two had fun!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh I wasn't even there, this was entirely her. Though now she is aware that I've been going to cons like this since the 90s, so we've suddenly got things in common no matter how embarrassing it is lol

As to the show, I particularly enjoyed the protracted JRPG style "let's say goodbye to all the characters one by one" credits sequence. I hope her dad is introducing her to Final Fantasy/Secret of Mana/all the other OG games that are the source of that kind of thing. And it's very satisfying that pretty much every surviving character ends up sympathetic, even the Collector. That's a really nice and positive consequence of the influence of stuff like Miyazaki I think. She's enough of an animation nerd she'll probably already have come to the same conclusion.

I'll handle showing her the "cool S" that Luz grafitti's all over everything, if she somehow hasn't encountered it yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Oh I wasn't even there, this was entirely her. Though now she is aware that I've been going to cons like this since the 90s, so we've suddenly got things in common no matter how embarrassing it is lol

As to the show, I particularly enjoyed the protracted JRPG style "let's say goodbye to all the characters one by one" credits sequence. I hope her dad is introducing her to Final Fantasy/Secret of Mana/all the other OG games that are the source of that kind of thing. And it's very satisfying that pretty much every surviving character ends up sympathetic, even the Collector. That's a really nice and positive consequence of the influence of stuff like Miyazaki I think. She's enough of an animation nerd she'll probably already have come to the same conclusion.

I'll handle showing her the "cool S" that Luz grafitti's all over everything, if she somehow hasn't encountered it yet

Except Amity’s mom who remained a bitch to the very end

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which I did notice she wasn't in the group shot, but dad was lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Which I did notice she wasn't in the group shot, but dad was lol

Even Tibbles was there for some reason

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Just finished this. drat what a good show.

My older niece just cosplayed as Power Luz at DragonCon (where they did a mass reenactment of the "byeee!" group shot at the end), and since you don't see that character design until the very last episode she really made me work for the reference, cramming from then till now. But boy it was worth it

NGL, when you first mentioned this in... whichever other thread it was, and described her cosplay as an obscure character from a later season, I was expecting, like, one of the coven heads that doesn't get any screentime or something, not literally the protagonist of the show. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know! and that's what I was expecting, one of the coven heads seemed like a valid guess; but as S3 got started and Luz was in her Azura costume (which has elements that digivolve into the Titan style), I could pretty much see what was coming. But up till that point I wasn't sure if the character in the photo was Luz or just someone who sort of looks like her, like a mirror-universe doppelganger with fangs and yellow eyes and so on.

It was fun seeing that reveal bearing down on me like a freight train :v:

e: I could always have just asked but all I had to go on was the photo and her mom telling me "it's from the Owl House" and I went radio silent until I could watch the whole thing without any further communication, for maximum prank impact

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 18, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Yo, she looks awesome!! :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Larryb posted:

Even Tibbles was there for some reason

Well, if it wasn’t for Tibbles, Amity would have never gotten her Azura books. So maybe they decided to call it even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

Well, if it wasn’t for Tibbles, Amity would have never gotten her Azura books. So maybe they decided to call it even.

Either that or he’s there as emergency rations for the party