Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Owl House is an animated show created by Dana Terrace, currently airing on Disney Channel (and on Disney Now and probably on Disney XD repeats and on Disney+ but with a bizarre schedule where they seem to be releasing 5 episode chunks on a monthly basis. wtf, D+ guys?) Terrace was an animator on recent animation darlings Gravity Falls and DuckTales 2017 but said she didn't feel fulfilled artistically on those shows so she went and made her own. It follows the story of Luz Noceda, a ordinary girl from Connecticut who wants to be a magical girl!... sorry, I phrased that wrong, not that kind of magical girl, she reads a lot of fantasy novels and wants to be a witch! Luckily she happens through a magic doorway into another dimension...

to the Boiling Isles, a land formed on the body of a fallen titan (stated by Terrace to be roughly the size of Vermont) that's full of witches and demons and all sorts of other fantasy poo poo. It's very funny with gorgeous animation, an actually pretty interesting running plot and *sigh* yeah a bunch of characters you can ship with each other if that's your thing.

From this point on, everything will be chock full of spoilers for the first season (but not the episodes that have aired thus far in season 2)

Characters

Luz Noceda (voiced by Sarah-Nicole Robles) is, as previously mentioned, our protagonist from Connecticut. She's into fantasy books (her favorite series being an in-world one called the Good Witch Azura) but also all sorts of other nerd junk. She recently figured out how to perform magic even without being born a witch via drawing magical glyphs. So far she's got light spells, ice magic, plant magic (which is generally just making big vines do stuff) and fireballs. After destroying her only way home at the end of last season, Luz is gonna have to find a new way there... while also learning more about magic and having hijinx at school and home. Fun fact, Luz is named after Terrace's real life roommate

Eda Clawthorne, a.k.a Eda the Owl Lady (voiced by Wendie Malick) is the most powerful witch on the Boiling Isles.... or at least she used to be. She was cursed by her sister Lilith at a young age which turns her over time into a big owl monster. After reconciling with Lilith, they now share the curse, which didn't cure it, but it's no longer the imminent threat it was last season and she can stave it off with some elixir. Unfortunately the act of sharing the curse has caused her to lose a lot of her mojo and now she's having to learn glyph magic from Luz to mix with the natural magic she has left. Also the destruction of the portal to Earth has destroyed her business of selling junk from the human realm. Also also she has one silver eye now but all of the good gifs of her are from season 1.

King, a.k.a (or at least he'd like you to know him as) THE KING OF DEMONS (voiced by Alex Hirsch) is a little demon who lives with Eda, and probably the biggest source of physical comedy and funny gifs on the show. He acts like a pet, but much like a small dog, wants everyone to know he's actually hot poo poo and really cool. He's become very enamored with Luz. Another fun behind the scenes fact: Terrace has stated in interviews that her original pitch for TOH was much darker and that originally King was basically a grown-rear end man with a deer skull for a head. So yeah, imagine that the next time King does something stupid.

Hooty (also voiced by Alex Hirsch) is the Owl House? I don't know, he lives in the front door, can stretch out and do a lot of other weird poo poo, and is actually surprising useful in a fight? Hooty's not really a main character but considering he is literally in the title kinda sorta I felt it's worth putting him here. Also because he's the best

Supporting characters

Gus Porter and Willow Park (voiced by Issac Ryan Brown and Tati Gabrielle, respectively) are two of Luz's first friends at Hogwarts Hexside School of Witchcraft and Demonics. Gus is specializing in illusion magic and has a fascination with Earth stuff, while Willow is specializing in plant magic. I listed them together here because the gif was funny and because unfortunately outside of their introduction episodes, the two have been woefully underdeveloped as characters. Oh, Willow has two dads, so that's neat.

Amity Blight (voiced by Mae Whitman) is another Hexside classmate who specializes in abomination magic (basically purple goopy golems). She was Willow's friend when she was younger but her rich rear end in a top hat parents forced her to sever their friendship because her family wasn't high class enough. Amity started as a stereotypical mean girl but over time has shifted to being Luz's friend... or maybe more? Amity has been shown to be developing a little bit of a crush on Luz and Luz is canonically bi so start your shipping engines.

Lilith Clawthorne (voiced by Cissy Jones) is Eda's older sister. She's a bookworm who was very talented but never seemed to surpass her younger sister, giving her a bit of an inferiority complex. So when the opportunity came for only her or Eda to get to join the prestigious Emperor's Coven, they were set to have a duel to decide who got the spot. She secretly placed a curse on her sister (thinking it would only rid of her power for a day not turn her into an owl monster) only for Eda to throw the match anyway, giving her a real guilt trip. Working for the emperor believing that he would eventually cure Eda, she... kind of became a bitch? Anyway eventually realizing that the Emperor had no intention of curing Eda, she quit in a dramatic manner, saving Eda from being petrified, and split Eda's curse. So now Lilith is also powerless and trying to learn glyph magic from Luz to get her groove back, also she's couchsurfing at the Owl House as she's kind of an outlaw now.

and finally...

somehow can't seem to find a funny gif of this guy :v:

Emperor Belos
(voiced by Matthew Rhys) is the main antagonist of the Owl House. Not much is known about him other than that he came to power only a really brief time before the start of the series (50 years) and ended "the Savage Ages", installing the coven system that forces witches to basically pick one type of magic and stick to it. He hoards magical items in his castle, and keeps his personal coven to act as his enforcers and his guards. But you don't get to be emperor for nothing, he's immensely powerful, though his magic also seems tied to his weird rear end staff. Anyway now he doesn't really seem interested in Eda's escape, he seems to have a new project, reassembling the door to the human world that Luz destroyed at the end of season 1. Who is he, what's he planning, what's up with that Dr. Doom rear end mask? Hopefully we'll get some answers to some of these pressing questions this season.

There's a lot of other characters but like, this post is long enough already and I think I got most of the big ones out.

So why should I watch this show?

Because it's it's funny, it's dark, it may or may not fill the Steven Universe shaped hole in your heart if you were obsessed with that show but really it's just plain good. But more importantly you should watch because it's been renewed for a third season already... but a third and final season only consisting of 3 44-minute specials instead of the 10-20 episodes they planned on, but Terrace has said that she is completely open to continuing the series in limited series form or a comic or whatever, so if you do like it you should yell at Disney to support something that isn't a goddamn superhero movie or a live action remake of an old cartoon you uncreative hacks... sorry got a little carried away there.

Anyway, uh...

edit: Oh, and if you like other Disney animated shows, specifically Amphibia (which has its own thread here btw), you may be interested to know that the casts of TOH and that show did a joint panel at Comic-Con 2021 and did a crossover episode!... albeit audio only so you'll just have to close your eyes and pretend there's animation. It starts here.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

*hoards

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All glory to Hoot Prime

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...Wait, Luz is from Connecticut?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cattail Prophet posted:

...Wait, Luz is from Connecticut?

She mentioned it in the latest episode.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So going by the intro scene to the new episode (spoilers for Star Vs) it seems like Belos' plan is to punt the Boiling Isles into the human world and merge the two? I'm going to laugh my rear end off if that turns out to be true and the main villain's evil plan is literally the ending to Star Vs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I've been really enjoying this season, hoot hoot

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh good someone made a thread

Anyway I love how much this show takes imagery from messed up renaissance paintings of hell and makes them cute and funny to look at.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i liked when the witches done kissed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let's talk about the principal's hair.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The principal has some extremely fabulous hair that magic can't explain.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's talk about the principal's hair.

He looks like Nathan Explosion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

I've been really enjoying this season, hoot hoot

Now there's a ship I can get behind

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hooty x Lilith for life

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Junpei Hyde posted:

Hootcifer x Lulu for life

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

also gonna be the first one to post this in the thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KNOT_4hc0k

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
One slight correction or two. On July 21, 2021 the first five episodes of The Owl House will come to Disney+. The next five episodes will drop on Disney+ on August 18, 2021.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Isn't the panel with that crossover table-read with Amphibia this week?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nephthys posted:

So going by the intro scene to the new episode (spoilers for Star Vs) it seems like Belos' plan is to punt the Boiling Isles into the human world and merge the two? I'm going to laugh my rear end off if that turns out to be true and the main villain's evil plan is literally the ending to Star Vs.

For his (and the Boiling Isles' sake I hope he's thwarted). If Belos is the guy from the 1600s his plan might end up going like this: https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't the panel with that crossover table-read with Amphibia this week?

This coming Saturday the 24.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 20, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The kids getting their palismen* was such an injection of serotonin, you have no idea.
*that spelling still feels weird to me; it clearly derives from "talisman", not "man", so why is the plural like that?

Also, I feel like that scene of Luz leaning over Hunter was put there specifically to mess with Lumity shippers, and the following slap was Dana going "nah, just kidding, I got you fam"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

The kids getting their palismen* was such an injection of serotonin, you have no idea.
*that spelling still feels weird to me; it clearly derives from "talisman", not "man", so why is the plural like that?

Also, I feel like that scene of Luz leaning over Hunter was put there specifically to mess with Lumity shippers, and the following slap was Dana going "nah, just kidding, I got you fam"

Whoever created that name is unfamiliar with English? Of course the rules of English are pretty much language Calvinball anyway.

I could see a version of the show where Luz/Hunter is a thing. They both have that "nerd magic" thing. They also both require unusual means to access magic.

Five'll get you ten that there's probably several fanfics featuring an Amity/Hunter/Luz "throuple."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'll be Hunter/Gus bonding over their shares desire of knowledge

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Only show like this I've ever really gotten into was Avatar, even something like Infinity Train didn't realllllly do it for me though I thought it was decent enough. Will I like this

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Everyone posted:

Whoever created that name is unfamiliar with English? Of course the rules of English are pretty much language Calvinball anyway.

Oddly enough, talismen has been used as a derivative nonstandard plural before in literature, probably from shaman->shamen or just man->men. The Boiling Isles probably would not have independently created a perfect mirror of modern English so a nonstandard plural makes sense if their language is bleedover from the human world.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, if there are barely any connections between the worlds, how are these Good Witch Azora books on both sides? I don't think Eda smuggled them over.
I want that to be a crucial plot point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cant cook creole bream posted:

So, if there are barely any connections between the worlds, how are these Good Witch Azora books on both sides? I don't think Eda smuggled them over.

Remember that Eda has been doing her thing for decades. It's entirely possible she smuggled them over.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I remembered seeing this which I'm pretty sure is how:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eda also gets her human swag from big slugs that eat the stuff and wash up dead on the beach, there's probably a thriving human curios trade beyond Eda's stand.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Only show like this I've ever really gotten into was Avatar, even something like Infinity Train didn't realllllly do it for me though I thought it was decent enough. Will I like this

Outlook hazy, ask again

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Eda also gets her human swag from big slugs that eat the stuff and wash up dead on the beach, there's probably a thriving human curios trade beyond Eda's stand.

Eda's big thing was that she could basically get what's typically a fixed supply at an unlimited rate rather than waiting for it to just drop. Now how those worms got that stuff is just as much of a mystery as anything else.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

None of them were onscreen for more than a few seconds, but there were some great character designs on display in the background while Luz and Hunter were walking along that seedy... uh, street? Alleyway? Whatever. I especially want to give a shoutout to the big muscley guy with a shellder for a face.

Fingerdragon was also appropriately unsettling.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The Walrus posted:

What did you like about avatar?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Cattail Prophet posted:

None of them were onscreen for more than a few seconds, but there were some great character designs on display in the background while Luz and Hunter were walking along that seedy... uh, street? Alleyway? Whatever. I especially want to give a shoutout to the big muscley guy with a shellder for a face.

Fingerdragon was also appropriately unsettling.

I was a fan of the quadrupededal person with the big lips myself.

I like that the Boiling Isles appear to be made up entirely of bad sides of town.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

I was a fan of the quadrupededal person with the big lips myself.

I like that the Boiling Isles appear to be made up entirely of bad sides of town.

Emperor Belos's real plan: Build a portal that will let him move to the Connecticut surburbs.

Edited to add:

Just confirmed that the first 5 episodes of S2 have now dropped onto Disney+.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 21, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

i liked when the witches done kissed

I am so looking forward to the next Luz/Amity encounter. Their relationship is so great because it's just so damned normal. Yes, this really is how teenagers act when they're in the hormone haze of love. It's just that now it's a couple of girls instead of a boy and a girl.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fractalairduct posted:

What did you like about avatar?

Solid Hero's Story journey with characters that are both heartwarming and hilarious. Strong doses of pathos when you least expect it. Great bad guys. Kick rear end fight scenes. Cute animals.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

The Walrus posted:

Solid Hero's Story journey with characters that are both heartwarming and hilarious. Strong doses of pathos when you least expect it. Great bad guys. Kick rear end fight scenes. Cute animals.

Solid Hero's Story- Ehh, probably not

characters that are both heartwarming and hilarious- Hell yes

Strong doses of pathos when you least expect it- Double hell yes

Great bad guys- Your definition may vary

Kick rear end fight scenes-https://i.imgur.com/aG9Ne6l.mp4

Cute animals- Too many to count

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xelkelvos posted:

It'll be Hunter/Gus bonding over their shares desire of knowledge

I'm on board with this.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

I'm on board with this.

I'm on board with this and want to set sail with it nowish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hunter does kinda seem to be set up as a foil to Luz in classic cartoon style. His relationship with Belos is clearly a reflection of Luz's to Eda, an implicitly adopted family relationship with the older one being vulnerable and reliant to an extent on the younger, and both learning magic styles that don't require inherent power.