Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The Walrus posted:

Solid Hero's Story journey with characters that are both heartwarming and hilarious. Strong doses of pathos when you least expect it. Great bad guys. Kick rear end fight scenes. Cute animals.

Agreeing with Darkly then - it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but definitely worth giving a try

I might also recommend Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, based off of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

Solid Hero's Story journey with characters that are both heartwarming and hilarious. Strong doses of pathos when you least expect it. Great bad guys. Kick rear end fight scenes. Cute animals.

TOH definitely skews more toward comedy than story but I think you might find what you're looking for here. Give it a shot at least.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Abomination Coven guy needs a spinoff show with Beast Coven thing.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I love how in an episode all about Eda learning to accept her position as Luz and King's foster mom it takes the resistance less than a minute to start calling her "Mama"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Luz has a powerful friendship aura, Eda's mom aura has grown stronger with contact with her over time, and should not be underestimated.

Speaking of, King taking up the Clawthorne name was adorable.

Man, Darius was so fun to hate. I love that he thinks Alador's an hack. I bet he only likes artisanal hand-crafted abomination. His scary genie form was cool though, really sold the idea that these coven leaders are not to be messed with.

The small goblin head coven was fun. I didn't quite catch his name though.

Eda ugly crying was fantastic.

Bard magic sure is pretty. It also seems to be incredibly flexible! It can levitate things, control people (it makes people dance, it makes them fall asleep...) and once guy even used his trombone to create a smoke cloud. It seems to be more about how you do things than what you do with it, unlike illusions or abominations.

Rain was okay. They didn't really capture me but it was neat to see some opposition to Belos' rule coming from the inside, so to speak. Was it just a fandom rumor, that they're nonbinary, or something that Master Terrace* herself confirmed?

*since I am tired of the whole Ms/Mrs thing, and since whether someone is married shouldn't influence how you refer to her anyway, I am using Master in the old timey sense to describe her as a master of her craft.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, Darius was so fun to hate. I love that he thinks Alador's an hack. I bet he only likes artisanal hand-crafted abomination. His scary genie form was cool though, really sold the idea that these coven leaders are not to be messed with.

That man's name is Evil Gilmore and no I will not take criticism

EDIT:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Rain was okay. They didn't really capture me but it was neat to see some opposition to Belos' rule coming from the inside, so to speak. Was it just a fandom rumor, that they're nonbinary, or something that Master Terrace* herself confirmed?

And Eda calls Rain "They" a couple times, so nonbinary

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 24, 2021

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

keston john my beloved :3:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wendie Malick really pulling out the stops for this one.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wonder if that's Darius' real body.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

sliami posted:

keston john my beloved :3:
Glory be to Darius Prime.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Walrus posted:

Yeah, speaking of heartwarming, hilarious and strong doses of pathos, this episode definitely brought all of that.

I will say that it might have been a touch more effective if we'd heard of Raine Whispers even once before all this. I get story structure/abbreviated story time, but this episode gave more flashbacks to those 80s-90s shows with "Hi, I'm the main character's best friend/soulmate/lifelong love who's never been mentioned before and after I tragically die in this, my introductory episode, I'll never be mentioned again." That won't be the case here, but still.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Luz has a powerful friendship aura, Eda's mom aura has grown stronger with contact with her over time, and should not be underestimated.

Some of how Luz has been presented doesn't fully gel for me. Here's part of a review I did of the 2010 movie, Killers with Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Hiegl:

quote:

Heigl plays the Katherine Heigl character, a blond, pretty and likable young woman who for no discernible reason is unable to maintain a relationship with a man.

Luz is nice, kind, likeable, fun and friendly. She was presumably all of those things back on Earth as well. She should have had friends on Earth, probably multiple "best" friends on Earth. And yet that doesn't seem to be the case at all. So far the only person from Earth she seems to miss even a little bit is her mother and her biggest reason for wanting to return to Earth seems to be "that's how these kinds of books work."

I think I'd almost like Luz a little better if she was a little more selfish about it, like, "Why would I want to go back to Earth? To embarrass my mother some more? Everything good in my life is here on the Boiling Isles. My magic is here. My friends (including a probable girlfriend) are here. A mom, Eda, who actually supports what I want to do is here. There's nothing for me on Earth except boredom and balancing checkbooks."

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of, King taking up the Clawthorne name was adorable.[quote]

It was and I'll admit that I did not see that coming.

[quote="paradoxGentleman" post="516459835"]

Alador makes Abominations for other people to buy and use not just as self-expression/art. Meanwhile, Alador seems like another one like Principal Bump - someone who is really dangerous if you genuinely mess with what they care about. I am very much looking forward to Bump dropping a Scholastic Shithammer on some imperial toadies who try to gently caress with Hexside students (like Luz, Gus and Willow)

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think they said it but I missed. That characters was probably the head of the Beast-keeping coven. Also, they seemed to be interested in and sympathetic with King. They might end up switching sides to Team Eda eventually

paradoxGentleman posted:

Eda ugly crying was fantastic.

Wendie Malick was strong with the ugly-cry force.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 25, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paradoxGentleman posted:

Her name is Eberwolf apparently.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Give me a full length Owl House/Amphibia crossover with animation thanks in advance

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Luz is nice, kind, likeable, fun and friendly. She was presumably all of those things back on Earth as well. She should have had friends on Earth, probably multiple "best" friends on Earth. And yet that doesn't seem to be the case at all. So far the only person from Earth she seems to miss even a little bit is her mother and her biggest reason for wanting to return to Earth seems to be "that's how these kinds of books work."

I think I'd almost like Luz a little better if she was a little more selfish about it, like, "Why would I want to go back to Earth? To embarrass my mother some more? Everything good in my life is here on the Boiling Isles. My magic is here. My friends (including a probable girlfriend) are here. A mom, Eda, who actually supports what I want to do is here. There's nothing for me on Earth except boredom and balancing checkbooks."

Normally I'd be right there with you, agreeing that the whole "that kid is so weird, of course they don't have any friends"; kids and young teens tend to at least find moderately weird kids to be interesting, and coupled with Luz's kindness she should at least be popular with the nerdier kids that probably are right there reading the Good Witch Azura books with her.
But you have to keep in mind that in Luz's introduction she was unleashing snakes and spiders on her classmates, and that probably doesn't help with her popularity. We are asked to believe that this is because she has trouble distinguishing fantasy with reality, and... I guess that's possible? Especially given her unerring belief in gryphons vomiting spiders? But it seems more like a creative and active child that hasn't been given a proper outlet for her energy to me.

That first episode is honestly kind of weird, in retrospect, although I suppose they mostly wanted to get the human stuff out of the way to get straight to the fun of the Boiling Isles.

quote:

Alador makes Abominations for other people to buy and use not just as self-expression/art. Meanwhile, Alador seems like another one like Principal Bump - someone who is really dangerous if you genuinely mess with what they care about. I am very much looking forward to Bump dropping a Scholastic Shithammer on some imperial toadies who try to gently caress with Hexside students (like Luz, Gus and Willow)

The impression I get from Bump (and it might be too generous, since I see a lot of a younger myself in him) is that he's a guy who believes that the rules and regulations set in place, by and large, work and are there for a reason. This often makes him butt heads with chaotic spirits like Eda or Luz, but he's willing to amend his views when presented with evidence that his methods need revision, as we've seen in the multi-track/basilisk episode, which saves him from being a straight up villain.

Speaking of, man did I love the revelation that the imp on his head is actually his palisman, helping him see, and that palismans can even do that, and that he has actually long, luxurious raven hair. Tha palisman episode rocked.

And speaking of that , I loved how smug he looked when Luz was ahead in the race. Also one of his colleagues' palisman was a mini giraffe, which is wild.

I have been liveblogging this show for my girlfriend and this causes my thoughts on it to assume a kind of stream of consciosness shape. I hope it's not a bother.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

Normally I'd be right there with you, agreeing that the whole "that kid is so weird, of course they don't have any friends"; kids and young teens tend to at least find moderately weird kids to be interesting, and coupled with Luz's kindness she should at least be popular with the nerdier kids that probably are right there reading the Good Witch Azura books with her.
But you have to keep in mind that in Luz's introduction she was unleashing snakes and spiders on her classmates, and that probably doesn't help with her popularity. We are asked to believe that this is because she has trouble distinguishing fantasy with reality, and... I guess that's possible? Especially given her unerring belief in gryphons vomiting spiders? But it seems more like a creative and active child that hasn't been given a proper outlet for her energy to me.

That first episode is honestly kind of weird, in retrospect, although I suppose they mostly wanted to get the human stuff out of the way to get straight to the fun of the Boiling Isles.

I get that part to some degree. It's just that it puts me in the mind of FOX News during the Obama years.

Fox: Obama's a crooked, naive, atheist Muslim pushover weakling tyrant!
Me: Uh, guys, you realize that not all of those things can be true at the same time, right?

Luz is a confident, outgoing, friendly, kind friendless weirdo loner.

I think I'm just comparing the character-building for Luz somewhat unfavorably to the character-building for Anne Boonchuy from Amphibia. Anne is also brave, friendly, outgoing and kind. But she's also (sometimes) lazy, selfish, moody and disrespectful.

Anne talks about her best friends, but at the lake, she pushes Sprig to swim with that "...if your friend wants a pencilbox, you get it for them. If they want you to steal a music box even though you don't want to, you do it because if you don't, they might not want to be your friend anymore."

Whatever positive qualities Anne has, she's also got some deeply hosed-up toxic ideas about friendship that she needs to unlearn.

Anne Boonchuy seems like a real person. A real kid with flaws and real problems. Luz sometimes seems like more of an idea/approximation of a real person. Maybe as the season goes on they'll deal with that stuff better.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The impression I get from Bump (and it might be too generous, since I see a lot of a younger myself in him) is that he's a guy who believes that the rules and regulations set in place, by and large, work and are there for a reason. This often makes him butt heads with chaotic spirits like Eda or Luz, but he's willing to amend his views when presented with evidence that his methods need revision, as we've seen in the multi-track/basilisk episode, which saves him from being a straight up villain.

Speaking of, man did I love the revelation that the imp on his head is actually his palisman, helping him see, and that palismans can even do that, and that he has actually long, luxurious raven hair. Tha palisman episode rocked.

And speaking of that , I loved how smug he looked when Luz was ahead in the race. Also one of his colleagues' palisman was a mini giraffe, which is wild.

I have been liveblogging this show for my girlfriend and this causes my thoughts on it to assume a kind of stream of consciosness shape. I hope it's not a bother.

Bump is a guy who has lived long enough to recall how many rules were made because "Hey, remember that horrible poo poo? Let's make sure that never happens again." He respects the rules because he recalls the horrible stuff that happened because they weren't in place. If a couple of the Emperor's coven come to him with an arrest warrant for Luz complete with proof of wrong-doing (sedition against the Emperor, etc) then Bump would reluctantly allow them to take her into custody.

But if couple-three of them come to Hexside with the attitude of "Hey, let's grab Eda's pet human girl while she's at school and Eda's not around to protect her. Belos will love to have some leverage like that." then Bump is going to "kid's show friendly" gently caress them to death with a rusty jackhammer.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What do you mean "things were horrible before the rules were put in place"? Surely you're not refering to the obvious Emperor-sponsored propaganda about how terrible things were before he institued the coven system and banned wild magic, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

paradoxGentleman posted:

What do you mean "things were horrible before the rules were put in place"? Surely you're not refering to the obvious Emperor-sponsored propaganda about how terrible things were before he institued the coven system and banned wild magic, right?

Given even the unauthorised history talks about how the savage ages were so bad people willingly followed Belos, it might not all have been propaganda…

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And given life in the Boiling Isles now even in the posh bits is still a social darwinist nightmare, I imagine without any central authority it was even worse.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I have zero expectations that the show will actually go into it, but I don't think we should dismiss the possibility that good old fashioned bigotry was a contributing factor towards Luz's lack of friends.

Also, re: Bump and the rules, there's a thought I've had that maybe the idea of "tracks" at school actually predates the coven system, only instead of "this is the one kind of magic you'll be allowed to do for the rest of your life" it's more "okay, you're young and still learning, so here's something to focus on before you start branching out." It'd explain why Bump is willing to uphold the current status quo yet also so quick to bend it when needed; it's not that different from how he's always done things (assuming he's been teaching for significantly longer than Belos has been around, which seems likely from what we know about him.)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cattail Prophet posted:

I have zero expectations that the show will actually go into it, but I don't think we should dismiss the possibility that good old fashioned bigotry was a contributing factor towards Luz's lack of friends.

A quick Googling told that that as of 2019, Connecticut was 15% Hispanic with not quite 601,000 (of which around 26,000 were Dominican-American like Luz and her mother). Though bigotry might still be a factor and not only in a "white people are evil" way. I wonder if perhaps some Hispanics might parse nationality/area of origin in the same way that some earlier generations of African-Americans came to parse skin tone in terms of "quadroon" Octoroon and "high yeller" with the idea that the lighter the shade (and thus the closer to White) the better.

But beyond rear end in a top hat bigotry, there's other factors. We've seen no indication that Luz's father is still in the picture. So Luz's mom is a single mother, which means a single-income home with a not-especially large income. Luz isn't starving or dressed in rags, but she probably doesn't wear anything close to the latest trends or fashions and what she does wear likely leans toward cheap but durable instead of cute and cool. Her phone isn't the latest model. Even worse from her peers' perspectives, Luz doesn't care all that much about that. She's much more interested in the type of cloak the Good Witch Azora wears than why Rowen Blanchard is trending on TikTok.

And she sometimes infests her classrooms with snakes and spiders.

Figure that "reality camp" (which does seem to come a little bit uncomfortably close to a kind of "conversion" therapy) probably wasn't cheap in terms of Luz's mother's budget, but she paid anyway because she's probably a little scared for Luz. She wants Luz to focus on and become part of the real world before that real world eats her alive.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Also, re: Bump and the rules, there's a thought I've had that maybe the idea of "tracks" at school actually predates the coven system, only instead of "this is the one kind of magic you'll be allowed to do for the rest of your life" it's more "okay, you're young and still learning, so here's something to focus on before you start branching out." It'd explain why Bump is willing to uphold the current status quo yet also so quick to bend it when needed; it's not that different from how he's always done things (assuming he's been teaching for significantly longer than Belos has been around, which seems likely from what we know about him.)

Also, figure Bump has already figured out that "sealing" Luz is useless. Unlike other "natural" witches, she doesn't channel magic through herself because she's human and lacks the necessary bile organ. Even if somebody did "seal" Luz to a coven she could still use the glyphs to do any magic she could figure out how to use them to do - and so could any other witch.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

sliami posted:

if luz earring is a black circle, and amity's earring is a black triangle.... whomst earring is a black square #secrets #conspiracies

:tinfoil:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
it was a cute episode, but I felt like Eda's voice was off for whatever reason. Still good!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Black rectangle, does not fit the holy trinity, heresy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know it wasn't the point of the episode (and that there were other things going on) but I'm kind of surprised that Eda never came to a big revelation that she can effectively weaponize her curse. Maybe she'll figure out a way to do that with other magic as well. Making a big anti-magic/pure destruction abomination would be neat.

Also surprised we got to see King's dad (at least I can only assume that was him) just walking around. Really figured that he would be discovered in a dungeon at Belos' place or something.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Okay, so from the most recent episode we can all agree apple blood is just apple juice and it gets Eda drunk because witch anatomy

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

paradoxGentleman posted:

We are asked to believe that this is because she has trouble distinguishing fantasy with reality, and... I guess that's possible? Especially given her unerring belief in gryphons vomiting spiders? But it seems more like a creative and active child that hasn't been given a proper outlet for her energy to me.

congrats u found out what "trouble distinguishing fantasy and reality" is code for

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Okay, so from the most recent episode we can all agree apple blood is just apple juice and it gets Eda drunk because witch anatomy

It's S&P approved alternative to wine/liquor/alcohol. The juice box is just the continuation of that depiction.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can get wine in big boxes here in the human world. They've just streamlined it to make it individual sized in the magic world.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

It's S&P approved alternative to wine/liquor/alcohol. The juice box is just the continuation of that depiction.

I just assumed that apple blood was hard apple cider.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They get apple blood juice boxes at Hexside, so clearly in Boiling Isles culture it's acceptable to get kids on the booze early.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

They get apple blood juice boxes at Hexside, so clearly in Boiling Isles culture it's acceptable to get kids on the booze early.

The peoples of the Boiling Isle aren't human. Even the human(ish) Witchlings have different internal organs. A Screwdriver to them would be like a Kickstarter Orange to us. Which opens the door to a plot where Luz accidentally gets wasted on Apple Blood and she has to piece together her previous day ala The Hangover.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Given even the unauthorised history talks about how the savage ages were so bad people willingly followed Belos, it might not all have been propaganda…

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And given life in the Boiling Isles now even in the posh bits is still a social darwinist nightmare, I imagine without any central authority it was even worse.

That's... not at all the vibe I got from that book.

quote:

[Episode opens with King reading from a book focused on the history of the Boiling Isles]

King: The Boiling Isles, born from the flesh and bones of a fallen Titan. This original magic was so potent, all life on the Isles evolved to wield magic too. For years, we explored those power freely. Until, a mysterious witch appeared who declared that he, and he alone, could speak to the island. He said that we were using magic all wrong. His teachings took hold, his strength grew, and he became... Emperor Belos. Belos said that mixing magic was wrong, that only he had that right. So he created the coven system. And there, our knowledge was restricted, and our potential sealed away. Those who resist are called wild witches, and they face harsh punishment. Emperor Belos has since retreated into his castle. There are whispers that say he's planning something big.
Maybe I'm missing something but tbis doesn't seem to imply that things were lawless and savage before Belos brought order. I even double checked that the transcript was correct.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

paradoxGentleman posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but tbis doesn't seem to imply that things were lawless and savage before Belos brought order. I even double checked that the transcript was correct.

That’s what he reads out but if you look at the pages shown on screen there’s more there.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

Two points.

First, that's a book owned by Eda (possibly written by Eda?), who already hates the coven system.

Second, there had to be some reasons Belos was able to get the large majority of the Boiling Isles to go along with his ideas and go along with them to the point that they presumably made him Emperor because of them. Otherwise Belos wouldn't be Emperor of the Boiling Isles so much as "Emperor" of the Boiling Isles version of the Flat Earth Society.

I mean, inertia isn't just a physical law. Most people don't like to make changes, especially big changes, to the way they do things unless there's either a clear advantage to doing so or a clear disadvantage to not doing so.

Hell we've seen that play out with climate change and COVID. Look out much a lot of people bitched about wearing masks (and often refused to do so) when the presented alternative was "get a lethal disease and/or spread that disease to other people."

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 26, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

sliami posted:

congrats u found out what "trouble distinguishing fantasy and reality" is code for

I'm not familiar with what you're referencing, but Luz actually DOES have trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality, it's just not really made clear in that particular episode. It's made explicit in the wizard/puppeteer demon episode back in season 1, but even in season 2 she's not ever this: in the palisman episode she was like "characters in these stories always return home after", and she even got called out by Willow for it in the sports episode: "Not everything can be solved with a good attitude and a dope music soundtrack"

(This is all made somewhat muddy by the fact that Luz actually is a fictional character and perhaps is right in being somewhat genre savvy, but no theory can be all-encompassing)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Second, there had to be some reasons Belos was able to get the large majority of the Boiling Isles to go along with his ideas and go along with them to the point that they presumably made him Emperor because of them. Otherwise Belos wouldn't be Emperor of the Boiling Isles so much as "Emperor" of the Boiling Isles version of the Flat Earth Society.

I mean, inertia isn't just a physical law. Most people don't like to make changes, especially big changes, to the way they do things unless there's either a clear advantage to doing so or a clear disadvantage to not doing so.

Hell we've seen that play out with climate change and COVID. Look out much a lot of people bitched about wearing masks (and often refused to do so) when the presented alternative was "get a lethal disease and/or spread that disease to other people."

This is a good point. I'm curious to see how exactly the Emperor asserted his rule, myself.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Don't worry, when the mirror universe invades, we'll find out how the United Empire would have gone.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I found a screenshot of the page about the Savage Ages:

I guess King was just summarising rather than reading directly off the page.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hooty definitely leaves big rear end gross owl pellets all around, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I Am Fowl posted:

Hooty definitely leaves big rear end gross owl pellets all around, right?

It's what the house is made of