Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Isn't the panel with that crossover table-read with Amphibia this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

paradoxGentleman posted:

What do you mean "things were horrible before the rules were put in place"? Surely you're not refering to the obvious Emperor-sponsored propaganda about how terrible things were before he institued the coven system and banned wild magic, right?

Given even the unauthorised history talks about how the savage ages were so bad people willingly followed Belos, it might not all have been propaganda…

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

paradoxGentleman posted:

That's... not at all the vibe I got from that book.

Maybe I'm missing something but tbis doesn't seem to imply that things were lawless and savage before Belos brought order. I even double checked that the transcript was correct.

That’s what he reads out but if you look at the pages shown on screen there’s more there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I found a screenshot of the page about the Savage Ages:

I guess King was just summarising rather than reading directly off the page.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DarklyDreaming posted:

He accomplished everything he set out to do, just nowhere near how he planned it :allears:

Hey now, the Tunnel of Love would have worked exactly as intended if Luz had actually gone along with it and not wound up sending Amity the mother of all mixed messages!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nodosaur posted:

I think the point of all that was that King actually ISN'T a demon.

I'm personally betting King and his dad are of the same race as the Titan.

Didn't the skeleton seen as the terrain in the Owl-beast's flashback have vaguely King-like features rather than being the Titan?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Have we actually seen Amity at Hexside since Escaping Expulsion? She's traded in her pink for red in her casual outfit, and she was matching her Coven track previously, so maybe it's foreshadowing she might wind up multiclassing into Bard Magic?

HelleSpud posted:

So far the episode title secret messages are:

First season A WITCH LOSES A TRUE WAY
Second season SEEK THE KEY

And the key word hidden in episode messages are:

First season TWO WITCHES TORN APART, NOW ALONE; TWO HEARTS OF STONE. A CURSE OF FEATHERS AND MUD, A BETRAYAL OF BLOOD
Second season SEETHING SEAS AND PUPPET STRINGS, HE NO LONGER DREAMS

I figure the next two words are OF HOMECOMINGS, although what that would actually portend is up in the air.

Maybe Belos is a Grimwalker of Phillip he made as a companion that got left behind and went rogue, if not Phillip himself. He's not trying to get 'home' anymore, he's doing this Day of Unity now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well that was sure as heck an episode!

Vee was great, Camilla was great, the Curator was not great (in a love to hate him way, not that he was a bad character). Man, curators seem to be getting a bad rap in cartoons lately, between Amphibia and now this.

It seems like they left a whole roomful of evidence behind, but I guess they're banking on the Curator keeping his trap shut on threat of facing criminal charges/just appearing like a kook.

And it seems Belos is either one of the Wittebane brothers (likely the non-Phillip one who happened to have a Cardinal) or a descendant thereof. I wonder if that's the case for Luz's dad too, since his face was obscured but he appeared to have a similar skintone to Belos & Hunter.

Or maybe Phillip's 'brother' was a Basilisk who came to Earth & took his form, hence explaining how his descendants might have magic (although not the same level of inherent magic as regular witches). I wonder if the witch who brought them to the Isles might have been The Collector...

And Camilla's reactions were very believable, although I'm sure she might be willing to change her mind about the Isles by the end of the series.

Interestingly Eda was using the alias Marilyn on Earth, which is also the name of Stan Pines' ex-wife, who (going by his descriptions of her in the Gravity Falls DVD commentaries) sounds suspiciously like Eda...

Also Eda went Owl Beast on Earth at least once.

Moving from discussing the current episode to general theorising, I was suddenly struck by the fact that maybe the reason the Isles has been running out of Palistrom wood is because Belos has been getting a lot of it. Because he's not making another body for himself, he's going to make a Grimwalker of The Titan.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

It does seem like at least not all of the coven leaders are fully on board with Belos’ plans at any rate (and we learned last episode that apparently the utopia he’s planning on building on the Day of Unity isn’t going to be too friendly to magic users in general).

Also apparently Terra was always a sociopath and Raine’s gotten his memories back (though the ending implies that he never lost them to begin with and was just playing possum this whole time)

Speaking of Belos, I’m curious how Phillip went from his original state to the more witch like form he currently has (I’m guessing a side effect of huffing palisman energy for years on end) and where his own particular curse came from since we saw it affecting him even back when he was still human

Raine is nonbinary, I beleive they/them are the appropiate pronoun.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

As I mentioned, V would probably still need to keep up her human disguise if she wants to go out of the house (and it’s likely she’s been going to school for Luz as well) so she’d need a magic supply on hand if only in case of emergencies

Speaking of, if Luz does come home I wonder how they’d explain to people why Camila suddenly has a pair of twin daughters

I'd guess Vee would adopt a new form and be Luz's 'cousin'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I Am Fowl posted:

I just want to note that if you stay through the credits, the Belos-goo shuts the door to the abandoned house.

So...what are the odds him and the curator become a witch-hunting Venom?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

A shame really, that sounds kind of fun and I hope they at least manage to slip a bit of that into the episodes we will be getting

Luz: “Hey mom, turns out I’m bi and this is my girlfriend Amity. Anyway, now that we got the easy part out of the way it all started when a tiny owl stole my book…”

Also, the news article at the end kind of makes me curious how the girls would have faired if the situation was reversed and Luz wound up in Amphibia while the Calamity Trio were instead transported to the Boiling Isles

Speaking of, someone actually did an interesting video on the former:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mt2xvkLR7Jg

I'm pretty sure Camila already knew Luz was bi, wasn't there some pride fridge magnets in the Noceda house or something to that effect? Also Luz did explain the whole backstory back in Yesterday's Lie.

Covok posted:

Frankly, the serialized thing is probably just a cover. Owl House has queer rep that is super hard to edit out overseas and it's third season got the axe. Amphibia had queer rep but its easier to cut out and it got the full season. Bob Chapek is a homophobe.
OTOH, wasn't there talk of how they also wanted to cut Amphibia short on 'no more serialization' grounds but it was already well into production on season 3 and so it didn't make economic sense to do so?

Of course it's Disney, so it's entirely possible it's both or some kind of chicken & egg situation.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rappaport posted:

I can't remember all the lore :smith:, has the show established whether there's ever been magic of some kind on Earth? If the beastly bros were witch hunters by profession, could they have been 'banished' by some actual witches?

Clearly the magic of the... Eye ball portal that Eda used works both ways, so to speak, so some magic seems to be permissible in our realm too.

We did see magic cast on Earth in the season 1 finale, Lilith could cast spells on Earth, but Luz's glyphs just fizzled out. So BI witches can cast spells (presumably due to their bile sac), but glyph magic doesn't work (since they're explicitly tied to the isles, that makes sense). Whether that means there is some kind of native earth magic is unclear.

I think it makes far more sense that Phillip was only hunting 'witches' on Earth in the sense of various innocent people who didn't have magic powers. When he came to the isles and realised what real witches were like, I think he kind of quadrupled down on his work rather than admit that he might have persecuted innocent people.

Edit: beaten.

Also I know he lied a lot in his journal, but didn't Phillip say he got pulled into earth via a lake or something (so presumably Titan's blood)?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I wonder if there’s eventually going to be some sort of supplementary book released for the series ala Journal 3 from Gravity Falls, The Book of Spells from Star VS, and the upcoming Marcy’s Journal from Amphibia. If so, something like Phillip’s Dairy could be neat.

I know there were plans to make an actual Azura novel at some point but I believe they fell through on account of the publisher screwing them over or something along those lines

Given we know Phillip was an unreliable narrator, (plus it was explicitly destroyed), I don’t think that Phillip’s journal is the one to go for. Amity’s journal, the other hand…

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Same, mostly due to the fact that there’s been a bi pride magnet on the Noceda family fridge since Yesterday’s Lie. Also the show had pretty much normalized that kind of stuff up until now so I didn’t feel like there was any need to explicitly spell it out, doing it this way still works however

Assuming Vee was part of the original plan it’s possible the Day of Unity could have initially involved the basilisks Belos had been cultivating.

She does say the basilisks were brought back to study how they drained magic, so I just figured that was as a part of the draining spell.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Beachcomber posted:

I would like to meet the idiot who decided they should make less of this and more of the sadsack ghost show or whatever.

Hey I’m mad at the series getting cut short too, but there’s no need to drag The Ghost and Molly McGee through the mud! This is the second time that’s happened!

Also the episode was great but obviously you can tell the plan was for a multi episode arc on Earth before they returned to the Isles. I’m kind of sad Vee’s not coming back to the isles and probably not playing much role in the story, but she deserves to happy dating Masha.

Also was it me or did some of the people in Camila’s flashbacks resemble Sasha and Marcy? Obviously they weren’t meant to be then but they had similar haircuts. Also I kind of wish they’d snuck in a Marcy cameo proper. But I’m sure the mouse forbade it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Only in so much as how much do you believe any other conspiracy theory. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
:agreed:
It’s not even the first time iTunes released an episode of a Disney+ show prematurely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Also the finale will be up on D+ the day after it airs:

In the US. What about the rest of us? Are they going to put it up on Youtube like they did with the Amphibia finale? (please say yes).