Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All glory to Hoot Prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The principal has some extremely fabulous hair that magic can't explain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'll be Hunter/Gus bonding over their shares desire of knowledge

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Eda also gets her human swag from big slugs that eat the stuff and wash up dead on the beach, there's probably a thriving human curios trade beyond Eda's stand.

Eda's big thing was that she could basically get what's typically a fixed supply at an unlimited rate rather than waiting for it to just drop. Now how those worms got that stuff is just as much of a mystery as anything else.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Okay, so from the most recent episode we can all agree apple blood is just apple juice and it gets Eda drunk because witch anatomy

It's S&P approved alternative to wine/liquor/alcohol. The juice box is just the continuation of that depiction.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
End of the episode: drat it Hooty.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New episode was cute. Also "She has a name!?"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hooty operates like a horrifying hermit crab with the house as its shell

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Apple Blood is both wine or juice as appropriate to the context of its container and drinker just as wings in Regular Show is sometimes literally wings, but also beer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

As an aside, I heard there was an Evangelion reference in this episode but I must have missed it. What was it out of curiosity?

Lance of Longinus when Luz and Hooty were handling weapons.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

*That would also explain how Eda was so powerful, she's getting a double dose by hanging out with King.

Eda's power was always explained as her just being naturally talented and a quick study, even in flashbacks it was clear that Eva, despite being a giant trouble maker, was exceptionally skilled alongside her sister

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Everyone posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Gus "out-illusioning" the head of the Illusion Coven. One thing I've like thus far is that the Coven heads have clearly been coven heads for good reasons. Willow's awesome at Plant magic, but she'd clearly be heavily out-matched against Terra Snapdragon. Ditto Amity against Darius. And that's as it should be. I wish that instead of "out-powering" Graye, Gus had "out-realited" him instead, supplementing his own illusions with Glyph magic he's learned from Luz. And he actually did that at one point in the episode when he drew the fire glyph.

One thing is that Gus is full on a prodigy. Amity and Willow are clearly not slouches either, but Gus is clearly a once in a hundred years sort of prodigy in a form of magic that's commonly considered weak that could be the main character of his own epic as he rose to prominence instead of Luz. I don't think it's that big a suspension that he could out illusion the head of a coven.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

god, yes, please

Beware the mother's chinela

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I imagine Season 3 was planned to have more Human world segments like an episode with Amity and Luz going on a date that's instead a family outing with Luz's mom (with Amity venting her own frustrations of her own mother) while Gus and the rest engage in hijinks in the Human world; maybe a human world side lore episode with Hunter learning more about the previous Golden Guards and so on. Instead, most of this will be cut or compressed to reach the end in 6 episodes worth of run time and the rest left to side content or fan stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Which is insane because Anime is pretty much ONLY serialized stories and it has only gotten more popular over the past 20 years--in the past two years alone sales of manga have exploded! I'm just kind of at a loss; if that's the direction they want to go, that's fine, I guess, but they say this like there's no money period in long-form stories

It's either the gay thing or this is their way of pushing back against the New Deal 4 Animation.

Anime is produced and funded very differently than animation in the west though. To start, funding is done by committee so the costs are distributed between the animation studio, maybe a network if it has that kind of deal, the manga publisher or video game studio if it's an adaptation, any number of other sponsors, and anyone involved in merchandising. Anime rarely exists as a standalone project and is created to push some other, more profitable thing from the outset such as a manga, a video game, toys, or idols. The marketed property comes first though but still exists within the bounds of their own demographics and market. It's very apples to oranges when comparing production of animation in the US and production of animation in Japan just because of how different their media markets are, how funding works, and who the typical target demos are. Of note, even though anime has slowly become a little more mainstream, the major demographics continue to be very siloed and any market for adults in anime tends to focus specifically on weird nerds not any sort of broad mainstream.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

It’d take significantly less effort than awkwardly editing around it at least.

As I said, only a select few countries actually bother cutting it out though (I know the Japanese dub leaves it alone at the very least).

I assume probably Latin America at least. Maybe SE Asia? Do they do MENA? Idk what other big markets for programming Disney has.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Actually, it'll be a Hunter/Gus/Willow throuple as per the fan art by Dana

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I would've liked an episode involving the head of the beastkeeping coven. Probably with King, Eda or Lilith, and Hooty.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madurai posted:

And I still have no idea what the gently caress "based" means.

That's pretty cringe

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/NicoleMay316/status/1578965303995772928

https://twitter.com/duolingo/status/1581437961979056128

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of I’m curious how exactly they’re going to actually kill Belos now since the last time he got splattered he eventually managed to reconstruct himself from a single blob of goo

liberal use of fire/acid/boiling venom I presume.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They're the real victims of this abridged s3

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WaffleZombie posted:

One thing that caught my eye was the topper on the vial of Titan's blood. That was clearly owlbert, so was that put there by Eda? If so, how did she get Titan's blood? Why did she leave it there?

Those time pools are gonna be relevant again I bet

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Iruma-kun/The Owl House crossover.

Iruma would probably get along best with Hooty. Eda would try and manipulate him and find out about his conditioned reflex in say "yes" to people and feel guilty. Luz would ask him if he missed the Human World and Iruma would basically have a Vietnam style flashback and then just innocently say that he enjoys his new life.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm sure if we got a spinoff comic like AtLA did we'd probably get the background on the other coven heads that basically got skipped over in the rush to rejigger things. Likely set between the finale and the epilogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looks like Hooty got a job with the US Government

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1647069281207681027