Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The kids getting their palismen* was such an injection of serotonin, you have no idea.
*that spelling still feels weird to me; it clearly derives from "talisman", not "man", so why is the plural like that?

Also, I feel like that scene of Luz leaning over Hunter was put there specifically to mess with Lumity shippers, and the following slap was Dana going "nah, just kidding, I got you fam"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

None of them were onscreen for more than a few seconds, but there were some great character designs on display in the background while Luz and Hunter were walking along that seedy... uh, street? Alleyway? Whatever. I especially want to give a shoutout to the big muscley guy with a shellder for a face.

Fingerdragon was also appropriately unsettling.

I was a fan of the quadrupededal person with the big lips myself.

I like that the Boiling Isles appear to be made up entirely of bad sides of town.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Luz has a powerful friendship aura, Eda's mom aura has grown stronger with contact with her over time, and should not be underestimated.

Speaking of, King taking up the Clawthorne name was adorable.

Man, Darius was so fun to hate. I love that he thinks Alador's an hack. I bet he only likes artisanal hand-crafted abomination. His scary genie form was cool though, really sold the idea that these coven leaders are not to be messed with.

The small goblin head coven was fun. I didn't quite catch his name though.

Eda ugly crying was fantastic.

Bard magic sure is pretty. It also seems to be incredibly flexible! It can levitate things, control people (it makes people dance, it makes them fall asleep...) and once guy even used his trombone to create a smoke cloud. It seems to be more about how you do things than what you do with it, unlike illusions or abominations.

Rain was okay. They didn't really capture me but it was neat to see some opposition to Belos' rule coming from the inside, so to speak. Was it just a fandom rumor, that they're nonbinary, or something that Master Terrace* herself confirmed?

*since I am tired of the whole Ms/Mrs thing, and since whether someone is married shouldn't influence how you refer to her anyway, I am using Master in the old timey sense to describe her as a master of her craft.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Luz is nice, kind, likeable, fun and friendly. She was presumably all of those things back on Earth as well. She should have had friends on Earth, probably multiple "best" friends on Earth. And yet that doesn't seem to be the case at all. So far the only person from Earth she seems to miss even a little bit is her mother and her biggest reason for wanting to return to Earth seems to be "that's how these kinds of books work."

I think I'd almost like Luz a little better if she was a little more selfish about it, like, "Why would I want to go back to Earth? To embarrass my mother some more? Everything good in my life is here on the Boiling Isles. My magic is here. My friends (including a probable girlfriend) are here. A mom, Eda, who actually supports what I want to do is here. There's nothing for me on Earth except boredom and balancing checkbooks."

Normally I'd be right there with you, agreeing that the whole "that kid is so weird, of course they don't have any friends"; kids and young teens tend to at least find moderately weird kids to be interesting, and coupled with Luz's kindness she should at least be popular with the nerdier kids that probably are right there reading the Good Witch Azura books with her.
But you have to keep in mind that in Luz's introduction she was unleashing snakes and spiders on her classmates, and that probably doesn't help with her popularity. We are asked to believe that this is because she has trouble distinguishing fantasy with reality, and... I guess that's possible? Especially given her unerring belief in gryphons vomiting spiders? But it seems more like a creative and active child that hasn't been given a proper outlet for her energy to me.

That first episode is honestly kind of weird, in retrospect, although I suppose they mostly wanted to get the human stuff out of the way to get straight to the fun of the Boiling Isles.

quote:

Alador makes Abominations for other people to buy and use not just as self-expression/art. Meanwhile, Alador seems like another one like Principal Bump - someone who is really dangerous if you genuinely mess with what they care about. I am very much looking forward to Bump dropping a Scholastic Shithammer on some imperial toadies who try to gently caress with Hexside students (like Luz, Gus and Willow)

The impression I get from Bump (and it might be too generous, since I see a lot of a younger myself in him) is that he's a guy who believes that the rules and regulations set in place, by and large, work and are there for a reason. This often makes him butt heads with chaotic spirits like Eda or Luz, but he's willing to amend his views when presented with evidence that his methods need revision, as we've seen in the multi-track/basilisk episode, which saves him from being a straight up villain.

Speaking of, man did I love the revelation that the imp on his head is actually his palisman, helping him see, and that palismans can even do that, and that he has actually long, luxurious raven hair. Tha palisman episode rocked.

And speaking of that , I loved how smug he looked when Luz was ahead in the race. Also one of his colleagues' palisman was a mini giraffe, which is wild.

I have been liveblogging this show for my girlfriend and this causes my thoughts on it to assume a kind of stream of consciosness shape. I hope it's not a bother.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What do you mean "things were horrible before the rules were put in place"? Surely you're not refering to the obvious Emperor-sponsored propaganda about how terrible things were before he institued the coven system and banned wild magic, right?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Given even the unauthorised history talks about how the savage ages were so bad people willingly followed Belos, it might not all have been propaganda…

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And given life in the Boiling Isles now even in the posh bits is still a social darwinist nightmare, I imagine without any central authority it was even worse.

That's... not at all the vibe I got from that book.

quote:

[Episode opens with King reading from a book focused on the history of the Boiling Isles]

King: The Boiling Isles, born from the flesh and bones of a fallen Titan. This original magic was so potent, all life on the Isles evolved to wield magic too. For years, we explored those power freely. Until, a mysterious witch appeared who declared that he, and he alone, could speak to the island. He said that we were using magic all wrong. His teachings took hold, his strength grew, and he became... Emperor Belos. Belos said that mixing magic was wrong, that only he had that right. So he created the coven system. And there, our knowledge was restricted, and our potential sealed away. Those who resist are called wild witches, and they face harsh punishment. Emperor Belos has since retreated into his castle. There are whispers that say he's planning something big.
Maybe I'm missing something but tbis doesn't seem to imply that things were lawless and savage before Belos brought order. I even double checked that the transcript was correct.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

sliami posted:

congrats u found out what "trouble distinguishing fantasy and reality" is code for

I'm not familiar with what you're referencing, but Luz actually DOES have trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality, it's just not really made clear in that particular episode. It's made explicit in the wizard/puppeteer demon episode back in season 1, but even in season 2 she's not ever this: in the palisman episode she was like "characters in these stories always return home after", and she even got called out by Willow for it in the sports episode: "Not everything can be solved with a good attitude and a dope music soundtrack"

(This is all made somewhat muddy by the fact that Luz actually is a fictional character and perhaps is right in being somewhat genre savvy, but no theory can be all-encompassing)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Second, there had to be some reasons Belos was able to get the large majority of the Boiling Isles to go along with his ideas and go along with them to the point that they presumably made him Emperor because of them. Otherwise Belos wouldn't be Emperor of the Boiling Isles so much as "Emperor" of the Boiling Isles version of the Flat Earth Society.

I mean, inertia isn't just a physical law. Most people don't like to make changes, especially big changes, to the way they do things unless there's either a clear advantage to doing so or a clear disadvantage to not doing so.

Hell we've seen that play out with climate change and COVID. Look out much a lot of people bitched about wearing masks (and often refused to do so) when the presented alternative was "get a lethal disease and/or spread that disease to other people."

This is a good point. I'm curious to see how exactly the Emperor asserted his rule, myself.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Man, can you imagine how much the tunnel of love ride must have sucked for Amity?
"oh. so Luz is so opposed to us being a couple that she's destroying this romantic thing that Hooty set up for us. cool. that's cool."

TwoPair posted:

Precisely everything he set out to do. And not one bit more, like delivering King's dad's message.

Truly the best/worst. (I really expected the stinger scene to be that Lilith's letters were actually going to Belos/one of Belos' guys as a way to spy on Eda & co.)

Hey, they made him promise never to help anyone ever again! That's on them!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Well, sure, but think about it - especially from Luz's modern Earth perspective. Setting up an elaborate "Tunnel of Love" thing for somebody you haven't even asked out comes across less as "lovely romantic gesture" and more "crazy stalker person who will eventually cut my heart out and put it in a jar in the fridge next to those of her other victims."

Plus we know that on Earth Luz was "not quite a social butterfly." Given the snakes and spiders, there's every chance that when Luz did crush on somebody she'd do some big dramatic, cheesy thing that scared them off, or, worse, ended with them mocking her humiliation. Luz really likes Amity and she pretty sure that Amity like her, so she's just desperate for things to not blow up in her face and spoil things.

Oh no I totally get it! I'm not saying it doesn't make sense or it's badly written or anything. But like, from Amity's point of view, between the kiss on the cheek and the "Stay away from MY LUZ!" she made her intentions pretty clear. This must look like a pretty solid rejection to her. She looks so disconsolate as Luz goes on a rampage on the (admittedly somewhat creepy) animatronics.

Incidentally, Hooty sure went through a lot of effort for this helping missiong of his, between gathering demons to assist with King's lessons and setting up the tunnel of love (did he build it? Did he grow it inside himself?)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Also, in case people missed it:

Willow built a little bed for her palisman.
It is fantastic.
Willow is fantastic.
That is all.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are you sure about that? Sure, Amitiy placed a playful kiss on her cheek, but is there any conclusive evidence that either of these girls like each other? I think we should wait for some definitive proof, before we assume anything. Sure feels weird that the newest episode was so short. They could have added a third story besides Eda's and King's.

I'm joking, but I do kinda wonder, what Disney plans to do with this show wrt to international release. That stuff wont fly in Russia.

I've seen YouTube comments mentioning how in their home country (which I have no idea what it is, I didn't check) Willow's dads were blurred out and they expected this episode to straight up not be shown.

It's hardly proof of anything but there you go.

e: here's some more about it https://twitter.com/owlphibia/status/1306943172417904640

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 1, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, just gotta say I love the “curse = dealing with mental illness” symbolism in the latest ep. Really great message.

Could you elaborate on this? I got the curse=mental illness parallel in the past (the elixir as a metaphor for meds wasn't subtle) but I didn't pick up anything in particular from this. If anything painting the curse as another entity inside of Eda confused it a bit.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Maybe the idea of reaching some level of tolerance/acceptance of your atypical mental nature is better than exhausting yourself trying to be "completely normal" in all ways at all times?

Hm. That kind of came across during the Raine scene, but I never got the feeling that Eda was putting up much of a front for other people before this episode, so it didn't click much. Thanks for pointing that out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

"Bad but sad boy" is a spot on description for Hunter.

It was very cute how Amity kept going on and on about how she was Luz's girlfriend, and that as her girlfriend it was her duty to do this, and did she mention that she and Luz were girlfriends by the way?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh, we're posting Lumity? I got some Lumity from Knock Knock Knockin' on Hooty's Door.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Poor Luz. That promise, man. That promise.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Is there a reason your link starts like three minutes in?

I'm not going to watch it because I haven't touched Amphibia yet (I thiiink I made it as far as episode two before deciding 'yeah this isn't grabbing me', maybe I should give it another chance?) but like I can tell by the link. Is there another thing three minutes before that or...?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 16, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

'Cause that's where I was in my watch and that's how 'Copy Link' grabbed it?

Oh weird. I have to press a specific thing to copy a video at one particular minute. Maybe it's because you did it with a watch.

Sorry if I came off as hostile, it wasn't my intention.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I feel like in the eyes of Disney execs, which aren't exactly notorious for taking risks, courting controversy by having good representation was probably a strike against TOH.

E: here's the reddit thread itself: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOwlHouse/comments/q1x1uh/ama_except_by_anything_i_mean_these_questions_only/

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 8, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Dana herself says she doesn't think it was the queer rep.

I don't think she can get away with saying "yep, the people who host my show are a bunch of homophobes" to her fans, or even that they care more about branding then representation.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Reminder that Disney is the same company that pulls this poo poo:

quote:

Kaiser: One of the issues around the show was representation/diversity, and there were a lot of rumors about what Disney would/wouldn’t allow—the little old ladies falling in love in “The Love God” is probably the most famous example. Any comment?

Hirsch: Definitely. If you’ve been following me for a while you’ll know I’ve never been shy about discussing my frustrations with Disney’s censors and this was one of the most frustrating incidents of all. Back on “Love God” there was a scene in the script that described a few random couples in a diner falling in love in through the power of cupid’s magic.

When one of our storyboard artists presented the scene to me, she’d made one of the couples two lovable old ladies. It was sweet and casual and I knew INSTANTLY that it was going to turn into a huge fight with Disney. So naturally I left it in. The note came back immediately “The scene of the two old ladies kissing in the diner is not appropriate for our audience. Please revise.” I responded with a one word answer: “Why?”

This basically broke the censors. The couldn’t think of a single way to phrase an answer to that question so they made me talk on the phone so there would be no paper trail. They were terrified of sounding like bigots—but I honestly don’t think they were bigots, I think they were cowards. They basically admitted that there was no good reason why I should change it, but that they get complaints about this stuff from various homophobic parents and would rather avoid the headache, and couldn’t I just drop it?

I said that if we did that we were basically just being held hostage by bigots and screw that, lets rise above this crap and just pull the trigger. The worst thing that can happen is that we get some letters. Who cares? Disney’s a giant company, we can survive some letters from some cranks. I don’t think they necessarily disagreed—but there’s no incentive in their job to say yes to things. But I kept going back to them.

We probably had 6 or so conversations about it. It’s one of the only times I had a face to face meeting with the censors. I didn’t want to go back to my board artist and tell her that I lost this fight. I wanted to win, and I wanted to set a precedent, and I argued that little things like this could mean the world to people and that anyone who was pissed off deserved to be pissed off. But despite my greatest efforts it finally came down to “change the scene or we’ll cut it out of the episode ourselves.”

I felt awful reporting to the artist that I’d lost this one. But I didn’t stop trying. In the last episode, I had the two police offers, Blubs and Durland, flat out say they loved each other, and I didn’t get a single note. I think the censors were finally less scared of complaining parents than they were of having to deal with how annoying I am again.

Since then, times have thankfully changed. I hear that Disney has allowed same-sex couples in Star Vs the Forces of Evil, and the Nickelodeon has done the same in Loud House. Both studios are way behind CN and what they’ve done with Steven Universe, but progress, slowly but surely, is being made. I would love to see a new Disney animated show have the guts to show a proper same-sex kiss on air. One of these networks is going to do it—I encourage Disney to keep growing and be the first.

Like, he sugarcoats it at the end, but you've seen Alex Hirsch go for Disney's throat on Twitter. You've seen them pull this poo poo.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 10, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

You know, i was expecting Dana to to full Alex Hirsch and start tearing into Disney the moment she wasn't getting a paycheck from them anymore (for understandable professionalism/"I'd like to not have the pull plugged on my show or get blacklisted") reasons.

Is she not even going to wait that long?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh it's even worse than that. This bill make it so that if a teacher finds out that a kid is LGBTQ+, they are to report it to their parents. You can imagine what this can mean for kids with less than understanding families.

(I believe it does also forbid the mention of such topics in school, which is why it's called DontSayGay, but this is what Dana was referring to when she was talkimg about putting kids in danger)

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 9, 2022

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Tristesse posted:

Disney's corporate "culture" is very firmly conservative and they have very little interest in changing that. They change policies for the theme parks and whatnot when it will financially benefit them. If coincidentally something can be read as being pro gay community that's fine, they're just hoping that no one looks up all of the lawsuits they fought about kicking people out for dancing together. People get confused because of the content of the media they produce but as far as Disney corporate is concerned they mentally divorce themselves from the meaning of the content and consider it a "successful product" if they can make money off it. I worked tech support for them a while back and a week of our training was all about the corporate culture and what's expected. They are downright puritanical internally and will fire a women for wearing a skirt that sits above her knee, or literally anyone for saying a single cuss word. I'm actually surprised they've let Owl House air as long as they have but I'm also not surprised at all that they're killing it early and doing absolutely nothing whatsoever to promote the show. They'll only ever "care" when it means making more money than not caring.

Thanks a bunch for this. It's really emblematic of the sort of people we are dealing with here. ended up quoting it in the animation thread because it felt relevant. I hope it's okay.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

And Disney, so the morality of that is suspect tbh.

Speaking of that
https://twitter.com/WilliamBibbiani/status/1503788103714021376?t=1Mb0iwCP4IqumllB7O2AKg&s=19
https://twitter.com/DisneyWalkout/status/1503476096431366145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I've seen rumors floating about that the leak was engineered to damage viewership of TOH and make Disney look smart for ending it early. Is there any substance to this?