Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...Wait, Luz is from Connecticut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

None of them were onscreen for more than a few seconds, but there were some great character designs on display in the background while Luz and Hunter were walking along that seedy... uh, street? Alleyway? Whatever. I especially want to give a shoutout to the big muscley guy with a shellder for a face.

Fingerdragon was also appropriately unsettling.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I have zero expectations that the show will actually go into it, but I don't think we should dismiss the possibility that good old fashioned bigotry was a contributing factor towards Luz's lack of friends.

Also, re: Bump and the rules, there's a thought I've had that maybe the idea of "tracks" at school actually predates the coven system, only instead of "this is the one kind of magic you'll be allowed to do for the rest of your life" it's more "okay, you're young and still learning, so here's something to focus on before you start branching out." It'd explain why Bump is willing to uphold the current status quo yet also so quick to bend it when needed; it's not that different from how he's always done things (assuming he's been teaching for significantly longer than Belos has been around, which seems likely from what we know about him.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm just happy we got to see food shipping girl again. She even has a name now!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I found it really amusing how the first segment was just Alex Hirsch talking to himself a bunch, and also Dana was there.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was at how easily Hunter's flimsy rear end BS got to Amity. It was a stark reminder that for as far as she's come, her self worth is still incredibly fragile.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Everyone posted:

Marvel's What If? drops this Wednesdays. In that spirit let's took a look into Universe B. In Universe B there's also a show called The Owl House. That show is about a Latinx boy named Luis who's into fantasy stuff. Basically everything that happens in that Owl House is the same as in ours except that instead of a bi-sexual girl named Luz, the main character is a straight boy named Luis.

Universe B Amity is still gay in this scenario, so I think that's going to lead to some significant changes.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

jassa posted:

Not exactly new, but I stumbled across this work of art today and keep rewatching it because Amity being a useless sapphic is pretty much my favourite thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ_w8SE6jNw

I've seen this one before, but just noticed this time that it almost completely skips over Understanding Willow, which is a grievous injustice.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Iirc one of Dana's AMAs has more details on palisman lore than what the show itself has gone into so far, if anyone's curious.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Random thought: Luz and Amity have both kind of experienced their Grom fears for real now.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

At least the bomb format seems like it's mostly dead now. (outside of streaming originals dropping whole seasons at once, which I don't really consider the same thing)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Well poo poo, I was watching Ep 8 on Disney+ and one of the thems from the Raine breakup scene sounds ambiguous enough that the subtitle generator rendered it as a him. I actually had to double check that they didn't alter the VA for some stupid reason, but I think it still sounds the same? The good news is I don't think this was Disney's fuckup, but I'd have to watch again on a different device to be sure.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

In retrospect it's kinda messed up that becoming a bestselling author apparently wasn't enough to get King's dad to reach out. Just one more reason to ignore that episode for the sake of broader continuity, I guess.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

They couldn't even be bothered to use the updated intro, that's just sloppy.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Eda's grudgby jacket? Wonder what that's about.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

What does the bill actually do, anyway? This is the first I'm hearing about it.

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know, i was expecting Dana to to full Alex Hirsch and start tearing into Disney the moment she wasn't getting a paycheck from them anymore (for understandable professionalism/"I'd like to not have the pull plugged on my show or get blacklisted") reasons.

Is she not even going to wait that long?

tbf the plug's already pulled, and with how long the animation pipeline is, a lot of the writing and planning for the specials is probably finished already. She might not have all that much left to do other than sign off on other people's work.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh it's even worse than that. This bill make it so that if a teacher finds out that a kid is LGBTQ+, they are to report it to their parents. You can imagine what this can mean for kids with less than understanding families.

Oh hey, this part I actually had heard about before. Didn't realize it was the same bill.

gently caress.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm glad they didn't try to drag out Luz keeping the events of Yesterday's Lie to herself.

It was also nice to get glimpses of Gus attempting to give human dating advice and Amity and Willow reconnecting.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I Am Fowl posted:

It was a fun reveal that the Twins have been using glamours this whole time to jazz up their looks. Who wouldn't?

I didn't get the sense that it was necessarily an all the time thing, just for when they don't feel like going to all the trouble. Not sure why Edric would bother trying to lie about having it on today if they have them on every day.

Anyway, rip Luz's dad.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Paladin posted:

Eda had a monstrous form, eventually drained her of the ability to use magic, but she held it together for years because of apple blood — and with what we learned an episode back probably has nothing to do with it being apple blood

Uhhh what? Apple blood never had anything to do with the curse, it and the elixir are different things.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I wonder if Gus's voicework in the flashback at the start was leftover stuff that they had recorded from season 1, or if they had to do some shenanigans in post to get his voice back up to that register (or just had the VA force it for those couple lines I guess).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Madurai posted:

I didn't look at the credits, I just assumed they'd brought in someone else.

edit: also every appearance of Viney is a precious treasure

Oh lol, I didn't look at them either, so for all I know maybe they did.

E: It was cute to see that Mattholomule dual-tracked into illusions.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 7, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The animation for the kiss scene looked so fuckin' good, holy poo poo. I'm glad they gave it the extra care and budget it deserved.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm glad there didn't seem to actually be a traitor in the resistance and Kikimora's taunting was just a matter of the baddies making reasonable assumptions about what the heroes would do even if they didn't necessarily have all the details. IMO there wasn't really an option for who it could have been that would have been narratively satisfying and also made sense in universe given what we've seen so far.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Now I want to see Knock Knock Knockin’ On Hooty’s Door (Homophobic Cut)

"Dress Up And Travel Together" (please ignore that that still sounds super gay)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I can't remember if I've seen it for Owl House specifically before, but fyi this isn't really a new thing, it's been a trend in fandom spaces for a while now.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Random thought that occured to me the other day: It's kind of been taken for granted (at least by me) that glyph magic would work as a way to circumvent a witch's sigil restrictions, and I'm sure that's still probably correct, but unless I'm forgetting something we don't actually have any hard evidence that it's the case. Everyone we've ever seen activate a glyph has had either an Emperor's Coven sigil or no sigil at all.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, friends.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

NGL, I'd generally been operating under the assumption that Luz was already out to her mom, mostly because I didn't trust Disney to let through a coming out scene that's fleshed out enough to feel genuine, but making it a brief part of a montage and letting the audience fill in the gaps themselves is a clever way to get around that.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

CidGregor posted:

Sure did.

HOLLER KNIGHT

...Why is the icon for the recording software Bill Cipher's eye? :tinfoil:

There were also some interesting books in Camila's bedroom. I saw:

Vampire Diet (makes sense, since she was trying to figure out Boiling Isles food)
Life Ain't Binary (could just be reading up on queer theory in general, but uh, did anyone catch any pronouns being used for Vee?)
Halloween Treats (probably a magazine, by the looks of it)
Feeding Your Manatee (???)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tossing some red meat to the Duo/Hooty shippers might have been my favorite gag of the episode.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBF, she's said before that children's animation has never been what she ideally wants to spend her whole career doing. Though yeah, I'm sure the way things ended didn't help matters.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Chicken Butt posted:

Hooty (and Sprig)

And Domino 2! :colbert:

Also now I'm worried that this is going to draw enough attention to it that it gets hit with a C&D from "doesn't let hospitals display images of their characters in children's wards" Disney.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

NGL when Eda's Requiem kicked in at the beginning I genuinely thought she was about to fuckin' die.

As for the rest of the episode... ehhh, it was alright, but I think Thanks To Them was much stronger overall. It felt like a lot of the runtime here was dedicated to showing all the side characters one last time, but without giving most of them anything to actually do. Clearly something that would have worked better with a full third season and more time to breathe.

LOL @ them calling out every single fan theory for Luz's palisman and then saying yes to all of them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Just finished this. drat what a good show.

My older niece just cosplayed as Power Luz at DragonCon (where they did a mass reenactment of the "byeee!" group shot at the end), and since you don't see that character design until the very last episode she really made me work for the reference, cramming from then till now. But boy it was worth it

NGL, when you first mentioned this in... whichever other thread it was, and described her cosplay as an obscure character from a later season, I was expecting, like, one of the coven heads that doesn't get any screentime or something, not literally the protagonist of the show. :v: