Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Congrats Bucks, but now it's time for weekly regional food chat, weird hypotheticals, and a dozen or so posters to rehash the same arguments we've been having for over a decade it's the best time of year, it's the:

NBA OFFSEASON THREAD

Some Key Dates:

June 21-27: NBA draft combine
June 22: NBA draft lottery
July 23 to Aug. 8: Toyko Olympics (Houston players who could be involved include John Wall, Eric Gordon, and Christian Wood for the United States, and Kelly Olynyk for Canada.)
July 29: 2021 NBA draft
Aug. 2: Free agency negotiations can begin at 5 p.m. Central
Aug. 3: Official start of 2021-22 league year; brief moratorium period begins on transactions
Aug 3rd: California Classic (4 team summer league thing)
Aug. 6: Moratorium period ends at 11:01 a.m. Central, allowing free agents to be signed and trades to be executed
Aug. 8-17: NBA Summer League in Las Vegas
Sept. 28: Training camps open
Oct. 3rd-15: NBA Preseason games
Oct. 19: Regular season begins

April 16, 2022: 2021-22 playoffs start
June 2, 2022: NBA Finals Game 1
June 19, 2022: NBA Finals Game 7
June 23, 2022: 2022 NBA draft

Player Opt-Out Calendar:

quote:

July 25:
Isaiah Hartenstein ($1,762,796)

July 26:
JaMychal Green ($7,559,748)

July 28:
Bryn Forbes ($2,454,002)
Kris Dunn ($5,005,350)
Derrick Jones ($9,720,900)

July 31:
Montrezl Harrell ($9,720,900)

August 1:
Bobby Portis ($3,804,150)
Serge Ibaka ($9,720,900)
Josh Richardson ($11,615,328)
Kawhi Leonard ($36,016,200)
Chris Paul ($44,211,146)

And remember, every team goes into this season with the belief that anything is possible:

Lockback fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

Midrange jumpers are back in vogue and people will stop at nothing to complain about how it’s a bad shot

Midrange and jumbo-sized lineups.

Bucks and Lakers winning the last 2 championships going anti-small is a thing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

Is it really anti-small or just having an absolute freak of a human that play the 4 and 5 on both ends of the court?

I mean yes, but in basketball there's lots of freaks. I think going jumbo is a side-effect but it does show that "The future of the league is going small" is probably overblown, not that going big is the next thing or anything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hifi posted:

yeah inserting giannis is not going jumbo in any basketball sense. same with kd, ad, anyone else 7 feet tall that doesnt run like banjo kazooie.

That just seems like "No True Scotsman". Of course you play skilled players. Bucks played heavy minutes from Lopez, PJ Tucker, and Portis in addition to big guys like Giannis and or Middleton heavy minutes as the 2 guard, where he is pretty big for the role.

It's not just "playing Giannis" it's "Playing Giannis with a rotation where Lopez, Tucker and Portis are getting 80 minutes combined"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

PJ Tucker is like 6'5" and his entire offensive game is standing in the corner. Him getting minutes at center is like the exact thing people are talking about when they say the league is moving away from traditional bigs.

He wasn't getting minutes at center though, he played almost always with Lopez or Portis (sometime both), he was at PF and SF. Playing him at center WOULD be playing small but they didn't do that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

excuse me why is the California Classic not listed in the key dates

Added just for you

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

going back a few pages in the old thread, but rodman: hooper or player? i think i can go either way there?

He's an Other

I'd call him a Player-Athlete though if I had to use the superior job system.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Dallas Mavericks will sign Kawhi Leonard and win 2 (two) NBA championships in the next four years.

Kawhi would be perfect on that team (as he would be for most teams) but if I were him I'd look at what the Clippers looked like and wouldn't think too much about moving.

I dunno what the deal is with his issues with the medical staff or w/e.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Over 1/10th of Milwaukee’s population being in the deer district last night during a pandemic was one of the most irresponsible things I’ve ever seen on tv. I saw 0 masks, Delta is about to mutate to the Deer District strain. That crowd would have been a cool thing in non pandemic times. Americans deciding the pandemic was basically over this summer is going to look bad by the winter.

Giannis working on the tzatziki variant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU9fDDfTK-c

Seriously, do not ask thousands of people to needlessly go to an airport or all places.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OzFactor posted:

N: https://twitter.com/AROD/status/1417912345683120128?s=20

V: Congratulations to lifelong Minnesotan Alex Rodriguez

His dream as a kid in New York, the Dominican and Miami was to own the Timberwolves, a team that was created when he was 14 years old.

Azathoth posted:

That rear end in a top hat is definitely looking to move the team, even odds if he can actually make it happen, but I just know he is champing at the bit to do it.

Right now owners would make a lot more money on expansion instead. Which if Arod/Lore really wanted a team in Seattle would have seemed easier just to try to get that. But I'm not super confident in them staying either.

hifi posted:

player option opt out calendar:

Putting in OP

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ammanas posted:

i mean they still have to pay their bills
unless the whole thing is big flip operation and theyre gonna sell 4 years after moving

If you suddenly have an asset worth a ton more you can get loans on it pretty easy.

But that asset being worth a ton more is all the more reason other owners would rather just sell a new franchise than charge a cheaper relocation fee.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

The league’s only moved one team in the last 20 years and that was such a black eye for them that I think they’ve mostly lost their taste for it

Kings almost got moved. But I think if Seattle gets taken off the table due to expansion there isn't an obvious place to move. Not that OKC was such an obvious place I guess.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vegas has a weird vibe of a lot of people from out-of-state and such. Seattle seems like such a huge #1 to me.

KC/St Louis is another interesting one. By themselves they aren't that big but they aren't all that far from each other. There was a plan floating around a while ago with a split-home location where half the games would be in KC, the other have it StL.

Ammanas posted:

In another decade the complete absence of potable water across the western United States will turn Vegas into a ghost town

And MN will be a bastion of us water-wealthy folks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ayton still had a good series, he just wasn't as dominant. He was 14.7/12 on 53% FG% and 90+% FT (almost 60% TS). With 1.5 steals AND blocks per game. He had a positive +/- per game too.

I mean undress Perk but the Ayton slander is getting to me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lonzo should go to a team than needs a SG who is a secondary ball handler, wants to run more, and is ok with most of the offense from the 2 guard to be spot-ups. Bulls are a bad choice, they have too many guys who should be secondary ball handlers.

Dallas would be a great place for Lonzo, though they probably need more help than he can provide.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

hehestreams is dead

:rip:

Crud. They were awesome for me. That sucks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hmm. I wonder if Zion's window and Lillard would line up but yeah that's interesting.

Ingram and some of those Bucks/Lakers picks would be a good haul for Portland.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Think Less posted:

There are enough high-quality free streams out there that I didn't miss a single game I wanted to see

It's worth money to me to not have to hunt, and being able to chromecast without jumping through hoops is also really important.

If League Pass would let me pay for a "no blackouts" I'd probably just do that, but they literally won't let me use their product.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Russ's whole game is predicated on being the primary facilitator, and I don't know how well that meshes with the facilitator aspects of LeBron's game. Maybe I've got a warped view of Russ, but it seems like you'd lose a big chunk of what makes LeBron so good to have everything flow through Russ. Or the reverse, if LeBron retains much of his facilitation, is Russ gonna be able to be as good being a secondary ball handler.

I think Lebron probably would be best if someone can take over primary duties while he sits or just chills on some offensive possessions now and then. Russ + AD seems absolutely killer to me and when you get into the playoffs I think you just count on wearing down teams trying to guard both those guys (few teams have people who can guard both over a whole series without gassing their offense).

And in that hypothetical they aren't giving up anything besides Schroeder who is basically the same archetype just not as disruptive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I've literally seen people saying Russ would be better for the Lakers than CP3 and at this point I feel like I'm being gaslit about Russ

For the record Russ is amazing at what he does but c'mon now. Also CP3 is staying in Phoenix and even if he doesn't, ain't no way the Lakers can afford him so it's dumb Lakers hype anyway but jeez.

Sure, I think CP3 would be better but the path to getting CP3 involves the Suns willingly setting up their Western Conference rival.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

I think people (including Kings fans) are making too much of this. Monte is basically open to any and every option and is just shopping around to see what he could get.

There's also a couple all-star type guys who might get traded. Its a good draft but #8 shouldn't be considered untouchable or anything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Right now a lot of FO are taking vacations and whatnot too though, so usually stuff is kinda quiet beyond some rumors.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, Pek was crazy. There were a bunch of stories of him being hired muscle for Montenegro street gangs (which is terrifying) and at one point I think Love said something like Pek was the scariest guy in the NBA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Also I’m imagining Pek just going up to the top criminal bosses when he got back home and they’re just like “yep yep you’re in charge now okay yep yes okay bye la ter”

Being able to consistently beat up the double dragon brothers makes you a top level boss. Second to last or last boss even.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://streamable.com/l8ilvu

Announcer complaining Australia had two women carry the flag. Kate Campbell and Patty Mills. It should be gender equal! :bahgawd:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

Do they not know the difference between Austria and Australia?

I think they come out alphabetically and they were talking about the last group, the joke is they thought Patty Mills was a woman.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It doesn't feel right making fun of the Celtics since Ainge stepped down. Trading for Horford might be really funny but Brad Stevens needs to call Garden Edwards untouchable or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They should still do more testing if they have the capacity/infrastructure to do it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Is this where we go to talk about fast food chains

It's the offseason thread. Fast food chat, terrible Simmons trade chat, and an over representation of Timberwolves fans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

aBagorn posted:

i've become very enamored with the idea of swapping tobias harris for andrew wiggins please someone talk me down.

much like a hypothetical tobias for mccollum swap i think it's a trade of reasonably similar talent level with better fit on each side.

Wiggins would be better at creating shots in the half-court, but Tobias is a better shooter, more efficient in general, and honestly probably a better fit. Wiggins is more of a 2/3, Golden State had him playing wing with bigger Oubre or more defensive minded Bazemore a lot. That was the secret of Wiggins "Defensive Improvement", he played with better defenders and didn't have to do nearly as much as with the Wolves. So in that trade you have a big hole next to Embiid.

I don't really understand the Sixers' fans desire to jettison Harris when he is doing exactly what you want him to do and been a pretty effective player.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

aBagorn posted:

See i don't think he is. The offense was at its best (before the all star break) when he was shooting more spot up threes. Once he went back to being a back down, turn around congested twos player the offense got stagnant.

I'm still higher on Simmons that pretty much anyone I know, which colors this argument. I think the clearest path to success has always been Ben+Joel+3 willing movement shooters

"I want someone who won't default to inefficient ISO plays, so let's go get Wiggins"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

anakha posted:

The Finals showed you need at least two guys who are capable of getting buckets without help on your team. Harris is better at that than Wiggins without a doubt.

ISOs may not be the most efficient, but they definitely have a place, especially in the playoffs when defenses are adjusted and geared towards stopping your usual play actions.

Harris and Wiggins are pretty equivalent in creating a shot, and in fact I think Wiggins is better at doing that from the perimeter, Harris is better down low but that's easier to defend.

That's sorta The Thing with Wiggins, he'll break down the defense and create space all over. His problem is he ends up creating that space and then taking the mid-range shot.

And Wiggins has always let it fly but shooting a bunch mroe 3s isn't better by itself.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don’t remember if this is real or something that I just imagined, but I feel like there was a stretch for the heat were So injured that zoran was getting a lot of playing time and he was actually decent for like two weeks. That was the highlight of his NBA career, being a zero minutes per game guy usually. Zach lowe may have even written about it at some point.

I think it was literally one game at the end of the season:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dragizo01/gamelog/2015

But then he never played in the NBA again

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I Before E posted:

Drafting Wiggins got you Kevin Love without having to play Wiggins, which seems like a win.

Yeah, I wish this adjusted for guys who played their first minute with the team vs who happened to hold the draft pick. The former is far more relavent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JackBandit posted:

They also had KAT as being the 3rd or 4th “best” draft pick, which doesn’t make any sense.

The idea there is KAT was way better than the guys following him, so the Wolves get value for not loving up. It makes sense on one level (#8 in one year will have a different expected value than another) but it needs to be baselined against, like, Hollinger's draft board or something because it definitely gives a lot of credit when the pick was obvious (the model obviously doesn't know that).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Timberwolves are losing Evan turners $28 million. It looks like they have a lot of Space, anyone know what they are likely to do, what would you like to see them do?

They really don't have much. 131 in guaranteed contracts oh a cap of 112 and a tax of 136. They probably won't do anything beyond minimum fill ins unless they make some trades, and I'm guessing they do some trades. They won't go into the tax unless it's a solid playoff team though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I am really bad at reading sporTrac

Sucks to be capped up with such a bad team, but I guess we need to see what happens with potentially healthy Carl talents, D’Angelo, ant

Last year was a beast on them too. I think they'll be in play for the play-in (which isn't what you want when your capped out either), Beasley looked really solid too. They have talent but they are really guard heavy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"Trade includes Kuzma" is the 14 years later version of Theo Ratliff's Expiring Contract

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Durant was basically built in a lab to dominate FIBA rules but it must be his entitlement rather than playing a condensed season and deep playoff run after an injury that is frequently career ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sinteres posted:

He was playing out of his loving mind at the end of that playoff run, so I don't really buy that he's suddenly incapable of playing basketball due to that either tbh.

This guy just ran a marathon why can't he immediately turn around and be just as good at running a marathon? Playing out of his mind after the injury and this season probably took more out of him than anything he's done prior. Honestly anyone who made the playoffs should have been out. Its asking way too much.