Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

Yeah Lakers best lineup was AD at center and Bucks big change this year was that they were willing to go to a switch everything D to shake things up that effectively made Giannis the center even if it was nominally Portis. Those aren't necessarily small lineups since those are very large people but it's not playing with a traditional center either

This got me thinking, what players have, at some point in their career, had substantial time at both PG and center? Giannis is the only guy I can find that, by basketball-reference play-by-play stats, has had a season where more than 25% of his time was at PG and another season where at least 25% of his time was at center.

Other ones that come to mind:

Lebron: topped out at 9% center in a Miami season
Boris Diaw: wasn't listed as getting any PG minutes for the Suns, which surprised me
Magic Johnson: went to PF his comeback year, but play-play-play data doesn't exist and I doubt they were doing small-ball lineups then (other than that one game where he did the opening tip but I'm full qanon about that just being a gimmick)
Ben Simmons: ben simmons joke
Nikola Jokic: euphronius joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
most important thing of the offseason just dropped: CURIOUS MIKE EPISODE 1

I was hoping it would be funny and Just Asking Questions about 9/11 but it's 40 minutes about God with some dude from a venture capital firm :(

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Boonoo posted:

Dang. They worked out pretty well this year.

Maybe VPNs will work with league pass this coming season.

Huh? That’s how I used League Pass the entire year

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Chronicles posted:

I believe your choice of vpn location matters, I know they crack down on India because it’s much cheaper there. I use mexico which is only a little bit cheaper and it works fine for me.

I used NordVPN with India and it never gave me any issues, even if I disconnected from the VPN once I'd loaded the stream. (weirdly, it will let you do this, but then it'll show you ads, whereas from any foreign IP it shows the arena cam instead of ads.)

The web UI is pretty poo poo for getting into the actual stream, but once the stream loaded it was mostly fine.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Darko Saric? Cmon that has to be an nba fan inside joke right

Also I’m imagining Pek just going up to the top criminal bosses when he got back home and they’re just like “yep yep you’re in charge now okay yep yes okay bye la ter”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/SamSheehanNBA/status/1418594724693389312

Mods please ban any “fans” of the c*ltics

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
If your model for evaluating draft picks doesn’t have Anthony Bennett as the worst draft pick in the modern era, your model sucks.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
JaVale is there to help them with tech issues in case their phones don’t work overseas

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I don’t care how many NBA players are on the teams they’re losing to, team USA doing this badly is insanely funny. It’s like if the 2013 Heat had lost to the Bucks in the first round and people were justifying it with “well really, Monte Ellis is an all-star caliber scorer and Larry Sanders is one of the best defenders in the league, so it’s not too surprising.”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jota posted:

Woj doing his free agency special on ESPN and said just about every team in the league he's talked to has said they've been offered a combo of Kuz and KCP lol

Oh my god is their gm r/Lakers?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

three posted:

Undoubtedly one of the best defensive players of the modern era even with NBA rules... yet his team has won 3 total playoff series in 8 years and never made it past the 2nd round.

But when there are no NBA refs and rules to protect the offensive stars for entertainment value, his team beats a band of name-brand NBA offensive superstars while holding a potential GOAT shooter to 10 points (which Gobert had more points than, fwiw).

Why are you comparing a single game to a best of seven playoff series? Gobert’s team did very well during the regular season

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
They shot 31% from three so I suspect the reason they lost is “ball didn’t go in hoop”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

STRENGTHS: good shooting touch from distance… young (3 months) for its draft class… solid core… high motor… coachable, never complains…

WEAKNESSES: slow load on its shot… quiet- not a natural leader in the locker room… lacks a go-to move in the post… can be stiff and slow-footed…

COMPARISONS: bigger Steph Curry, shorter Gheorghe Mureșan, basketball Calvin Johnson

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

stump collector posted:

Mama, there goes that droid

…that LAN

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

who takes longer to shoot the robot or giannis at the foul line

crowd chanting ONE, TEN, ELEVEN,

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Jack, left actual Olympian Jerami Grant off your list.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Just thought of a new nickname for Enes Kanter: Lux Langley

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The only thing I like more than exclusive experiences is trading them outside the arena, on the blockchain

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
[Detroit scout frantically minimizing the Amouranth’s twitch stream as his boss walks into the room] yeah uhh still not 100% that it’s Cade yet. Can’t be too careful

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

It should be against NBA rules to name your G-League team after something more powerful than your NBA team

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Just looking at the Jonas for Kiwi part, seems like this is the good kind of trade that truly does help both teams?? Jonas has range to help floor spacing around Zion, and Adams can just clobber people down low for Ja.

I didn’t realize until I looked at Adams’s numbers for the Pels how little they were using him in the offense. Oof, that couldn’t have been a fun season for him.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

Is DJJ the worst player to ever win the dunk contest?

I think you should be disqualified from entering unless you are a starter/sixth man. Not interested in seeing 11th man on the roster do crazy dunks, we want to see NBA players do it. If I just wanted crazy dunks then I can watch YouTube clips of that guy who wears a spiderman costume.

How dare you. NBA rosters should have an extra slot just for Guy Who Dunks.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Simone Biles also struggles to dunk the basketball

…ok but how close would gymnasts be able to get to dunking? They’re tiny, but they go real high in the air in those routines. Could Simone Biles Dunk On Trae Young.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

If Simone Biles had an open view to the rim with only Trae Young as a threat would she

a) Pass it to a teammate on the perimeter
b) dunk it on his bitch rear end.

I looked up the rules and it turns out that unlike in gymnastics where moves are named after their inventor, in dunks it’s named after who you dunk on. eg the Mozgov, Knight, Weis, Lister, Bradley, Bradley II, Bradley III,

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
BREAKING NEWS WOJBOMB HOLY poo poo!!!

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420800607762456576

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Bill Simmons's shocked response to the Bennett pick was so good it justified, like, three of Bill's awful takes or two pages of his dreadful book.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I love that we’ve gone from Ainge’s “I almost made this trade” to Morey’s “I’m getting laughed out of the room for these trade proposals”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
they just signed him to a 3-year 25m deal last year and have to dump him??

he was their leader in assists last season

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Athanatos posted:

Cade needs weapons

They needed to dump their current primary playmaker so that Cade doesn't have to compete for the role with Plumlee

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Post only or pre ABA merger? Also I wonder how do you judge the greats of early basketball against modern players?

Just take the top 50 they did 25 years ago and add the best 25 players since then

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://mobile.twitter.com/AmNotEvan/status/1421092604825980928

Buuuuuuust

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
can we just get a separate Ben Simmons thread

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Bones is Markus Howard but 6’9” wingspan instead of 4’7” and instead of letting everyone know how he’s a dedicated servant of Jesus he worships Hot Sauce

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

I don't really get trading up all the way up into the first to get Aldama and JV to Adams is a pretty big downgrade to me, but maybe there's a cap reason for that or something idk

I think draft twitter liked Ziaire more than the mainstream so kinda but no if they did their normal thing they would have stayed put and taken Springer.
And cosmis is the only draft twitter person I know who had aldama even close to where they had him, I think everyone generally was confused by that..

What’s cosmis’s twitter now? @cosmis is suspended

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Jake Fischer sez Will Barton (the third) is gonna re-sign at 2 years 32m. Not bad even though I don’t think Barton is very good.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I know it was only two second round picks in both cases, but teams trading for Fournier and JaVale this last year made no sense

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1422360006457012226

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Melo would probably have a ring if he stayed in Denver,

Hang on what?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

Already so excited for Philly fans posting about Drummond in the playoffs

CAN'T WAIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dexo posted:

shout out to the NBA's best CIA asset.

[repeating my joke because everyone ignored it and I think it was because they just didn’t hear the first time] Luc Langley