Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
We're about to get into camp and I want to know how you see your team BEFORE your favorite player blows his Achilles day one of camp. You can go into as much or as little detail as you like, but what I personally find the most interesting is:
  • Where do you see your team finishing?
  • Who should non-fans pay attention to?
  • What does the team have to fix or change to hit their ceiling?

Since I'm me I wrote a page and a half, but you shouldn't feel the need to keep to this format at all. I just wanna know where you're at.

:siren: Predictions and initial impressions: 2021 Bengals :siren:

What looks promising:

Burrow is good at spreading the ball around and he’s gonna have a lot of talented targets. The offense has the potential to be as good as any Cinci has fielded since 2015 or 2005. It’s going to be hard to reliably defend the Bengals 11 personnel. On defense a couple key players are coming back and seeing what players like Bates - who took a leap despite a depleted supporting cast- can do with a more complete defense will be exciting.

What looks ominous:

Coaching. The team went into last year thinking they had addressed key weaknesses, but they failed spectacularly. I haven't seen any reason to believe in the offensive or defensive playcallers. The line has a new coach in Pollack, but I expect it will still be a liability. The question is how much of a liability. They need to surpass a basic threshold of competency where it’s possible to scheme around the lack of talent on the line and not have a limited playbook. On defense they are working to move to an off-zone scheme and I don’t see a reliable pass rush. The defense is highly paid but doesn’t have many established difference makers -I would say the only two are Reader and Bates.

Keys to the season:

Guard play: They need to find a mediocre or better combination from Spain, Sua-Filo, and Carman. The offense has the potential to be special if they hit on Carman, but if they have another year with Michael Jordan level guard play it’ll be a long one. Tackle should be more or less fine and Hopkins is an OK center when healthy.

finding or scheming a pass rush: The defensive line rotation has a couple guys who MAY have promise but there’s no one who is obviously a plus pass rusher. The secondary has a couple good players but they aren’t capable enough to cover people down the field for several seconds. This defense has the potential to be AWFUL if no one gets to the QB

Edge defense: running between the tackles should be difficult, but the Bengals don’t really have a plus second level run defender to stop runs towards the sidelines.

Guys to watch:

Jackson Carman: slated to play right guard and probably the most important rookie on the roster, if they hit on Jackson the line should be improved significantly from last year.

Logan Wilson: Had a pretty solid rookie year at linebacker. There isn’t really anyone else on the roster who has plus potential at linebacker.

Mike Hilton: This free agent slot corner is a very effective blitzer, seeing if he’s given those opportunities will be a good way to evaluate the coaches. If they just utilize him in coverage it's a wasted signing.

Chase/Higgins: The Bengals need one of these guys to be a true #1 WR. By the end of the year one of these guys has to be earning double-teams considering the resources that went into them.

Realistic best case scenario:

If the line meshes I could see this team having a winning record. I would be shocked with 10 wins or more, but it’s not impossible. I don’t see them getting 3 wins out of the division and that limits the season.

Realistic worst case scenario:

I could see the team at 4-5 wins if the coaching continues to struggle and the team gives up quick pressure to 3-4 man rushes.

My prediction:

7 wins.

I see a team that can’t stop an above average offense. I think the games will be fun to watch - as long as they have any luck with injuries- but I see them losing fun. I hope 7 wins would get Taylor fired, but Mike and Joe love him so my guess is they keep Zac and fire the DC.

Accolades

#9-15 scoring offense

#24-32 scoring defense

Burrow is on short list for CBPOTY

Chase is in the mix for ROTY but loses out to a QB

Bates makes the ProBowl, the team sends fewer than 3 players, largely because they aren't winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Brevin Jordan is going to be good, even on the Texans.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

I see a team that can’t stop an above average offense. I think the games will be fun to watch - as long as they have any luck with injuries- but I see them losing fun. I hope 7 wins would get Taylor fired, but Mike and Joe love him so my guess is they keep Zac and fire the DC.

Judging by initial reports on training camp I'm either really wrong about this defense or really really wrong about this offense. Hooo boy. I know which seems more likely to me.