Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What's up guys, gals, and NB pals. I don't keep the OP up to date anymore, but if you hate it, or want poo poo added to it, just PM me and I'll come back and try and spruce it up for you.

Also there's a discord, with goons who will carry you as you feed or w/e you do when not in solo queue

Shoegazing posted:

Would be helpful to add this to the OP if you could, thanks!

If you wanna play with goons, especially with voice, we have a group of regulars that play in the Nintengoons Discord in the #pokemon channel. All are welcome!

NintengoonSquad
#G1A5RQN

Send an invite to the squad above and post your Unite username either in the Discord or in this thread.

=========================================Pokemon Unite

Pokemon Unite is the pokemon Moba, it’s pretty fun and as of this writing, it’s not been “solved” yet so you can just jump in and destroy people until your MMR has been figured out. The gameplay is unique enough that it sets it aside from other Mobas.

=========================================How do I win?

You kill creeps to get points, then you literally dunk those points into the enemies goal whoever has the most points win! There are a few special large creeps that buff you, boss creeps that lower the enemies defenses, rune equivalents (but no bottle) and there’s a big legendary pokemon that shows up once every few games. The team fights are pretty good as well, you get a lot of free stuff, I’ve played for about 2 or 3 hours and got enough gold for a free Pokemon, and then got another 2 free from just playing. There’s also only 2 lanes with goals, because the “Jungler” called an all rounder is ready to roam at level 1

=========================================goals? You mean towers right? So it IS a MOBA!

Eh, sort of, the goals aren’t what you’re thinking. They don’t damage you, they just heal people who stand in them, and if you try to go behind the enemies active goal you end up being slowed down while that enemy is sped up. This is actually really fun, because goal diving is incredibly risky but not outright suicide. If the enemy catches up with you, you’re basically stuck, but you can rack up a lot of kills against an enemy who hasn’t learned to stay out of your skill range.

I’ve only played the 5v5 map, someone more knowledgeable will have to write / tell me about the other two or I’ll have to play them before I put them in the OP.

Here is the map by the way!

=========================================Alright, so tell me who the creeps are.

Aipom

Spawn Time: Beginning of the game

Aipom is your basic creep, they give you 2 points per kill, they’re basically there to give you your starting XP and to reward players who know their rotation by letting them get their XP and into lane faster.

Vespiqueen / Combees

Spawn Time: 1 minute
Respawn Time: 1 minute

These spawn in lane after a minute, and they’re basically your bread and butter point generator, you mostly farm these and corphish while roaming and looking for points to pick up after all the aipoms are dead. These and Corphish are your only regenerating XP for the first 3 minutes of the match.

Corphish

Points: 3 points for first 9 minutes, 4 points in last minute
Spawn Time: 15 seconds
Respawns: 1 minute

Corphish have two sets of spawns, the first one shows up after 3 points, you’ll find them in a u shape in mid, and next to the tier 1 goals on the top and bottom. The second set shows up in the jungle right next to the tier 2 goals, when that lane loses a goal.

Audino

Points: 5 points for first 9 minutes, 8 points in last minute
Spawn Time: After a Tier 1 goal in their lane is destroyed
Respawns: Never

Audino are both a comeback mechanic and a reward for taking a lane, just like corphish next to the tier 2 goals they start spawning when a tier 1 goal is destroyed. And just like the Corphish near the tier 2 goals, they spawn in the same lane that that the goal was destroyed in. Unlike Corphish, Audino does not respawn.

=========================================What are my Jungle Buffs? I want to roooam.

Your jungle buffs are located just outside of spawn in the midlane, just go forward and you’ll see them pretty quick. You’re looking for the pokemon that doesn’t look like anything else.

Bouffalant

Points: 5 points for the first 9 minutes, 7 points during the final stretch (The last 2 minutes of the game)
Spawn Time: 25 seconds
Respawn: 1 minute

Orange buff gives your attacks a slow, letting you slow down enemies you attack. It’s pretty good for catching people out of position.

Ludicolo

Purple buff gives you extra damage when pokemon are low, letting you farm creeps (and enemies) faster.

=========================================Yeah and Boss Mobs?

Rotom

Effect: When defeated walks to goal in lane and allows instant scoring for 15 seconds.
Spawn Time: 3 minutes
Respawn: 2 minutes, but despawns during final stretch (The last 2 minutes of the game)

Rotom is good because if it’s a close game, there’s going to be a team fight, so you’re going to get a bunch of points from your opponents if you win, and then you can quickly rush and take a tower. Spawns top.

Dreadnaw

Spawn Time: 3 minutes
Effect: Gives your team a bunch of XP and Shields
Respawn Time: 2 minutes

Great idea to take this instead of Rotom to be honest I’m not sure what the point of Rotom is because instant scoring only matters when you’re trying to push past the enemy to score points, which is pointless to do since you can just win a teamfight, and if you can’t win a teamfight you should be farming not pushing Rotom.

Zapdos

Spawn Time: 8 minutes (marking the beginning of the “Final Stretch” the last two minutes of the game)
Effect: 30 points to the team instantly, instant scoring for 25 seconds AND gives you 30 points if you last hit it.
Respawn Time: Never

I’m not sure what the average points per match is, but Zapdos always feels like a huge swing. A win at Zapdos can be game deciding. It can get you a massive comeback, or it can push you further in the lead. At 8 minutes going to Zapdos is generally a good idea.

=========================================What are the roles?

You’ve got Defenders, which are tanks they have zoning tools, walls, and stuns. 2 of the 3 tanks (Slowpoke and Snorlax) have a self heal. Defenders are great for stopping people from scoring due to interrupts, and can hold onto units until someone else gets there. Defenders have a ton of HP so you want them in a lane with a boss, and you should pair them up with Attackers

You’ve got Supporters, which are supports, they have pulls (anyone who attacks wigglytuff for the first time they have to approach her,) pushes, walls, shields, and heals.

You’ve got All Rounders, which generally can try to do any lane decently, you can roam a bit more with an All Rounder, and you’ll be fairly free. You’re pretty much always in front as an All Rounder, and you tend to have a support glued to your rear end. Kind of like a carry / roamer

Speedsters, do a ton of damage, normally have a blink and are squishy as hell. They’re good for farming, and you generally use them as a jungler / roamer, as they are particularly good at doing burst damage, and chasing down opponents, and do a ton of single target damage, letting you take down the high point mobs easier.

Attackers normally lane with defenders, the stuns and CC help them secure kills pretty quick, and because they’re ranged they can stand behind the defenders while still chasing people down. They also tend to have wider ranged moves, which helps with the Vespiqueen and Combee spawns that need lots of AOE to take everything out as quick as possible.

=========================================Lanes?

Top Lane has Rotom, and you generally send an All-Rounder or Defender with an Attacker or Supporter. Top lane has less wild pokemon spawns compared to bottom, so you’ll end up team fighting more for resources. You might find yourself in the enemy jungle more to try and take camps, and apply pressure, keeping them out of your space.

Mid Lane is where you send your high mobility, high damage pokemon. They get a lead in gaining experience, so you want pokemon that scale well, and have a high damage output, so Speedsters or All Rounders. Every Speedster can jungle effectively, but Machamp, Lucario, and Greninja can also do jungle stuff as well. They should also keep an eye on bottom lane which has more XP for them

Bottom Lane has more XP and pretty much anyone can go there, the boss is further away from the goals then top lane, and so it’s important to be mindful of positioning. Drednaw has a ton of HP so you kind of want a Defender there to soak up damage and provide stuns. Getting shields and the XP boost can be huge, but it’s a harder fight then Rotom.

Items? More specific stuff about the Pokemon?

I’m pretty tired of writing, and there are 20 held items, 8 battle items, and another 20 pokemon. There’s a good resource here: https://unite-db.com/items Which will give you everything your heart desires when it comes to specific information.

So yeah, that’s it, talk about the game, read the guide, don’t, throw stuff in there you want, I’ll put any good advice into the OP. I love this game, and I hope you like it too!

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I also love this game. I’m someone who has liked the idea of mobas since forever but never had the desire to get into them because of the length of a game so the 10 minute hard cap is a huge selling point. That and the fact that it is Pokémon. I’d been coasting along with Pikachu and doing ok. Always getting a medal (any way to see what those actually mean anywhere?) but in my last few games I switch to Venusaur because someone took Pika and I’ve got my first ever MVPs so I’m feeling strong and powerful. This is all in unranked right now. A bit scared of delving into the salt mines of tanked.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was playing slowbro for a while, but everytime I fill for dps I get destroyed.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

LeFishy posted:

I also love this game. I’m someone who has liked the idea of mobas since forever but never had the desire to get into them because of the length of a game so the 10 minute hard cap is a huge selling point. That and the fact that it is Pokémon. I’d been coasting along with Pikachu and doing ok. Always getting a medal (any way to see what those actually mean anywhere?) but in my last few games I switch to Venusaur because someone took Pika and I’ve got my first ever MVPs so I’m feeling strong and powerful. This is all in unranked right now. A bit scared of delving into the salt mines of tanked.

Don't be scared of ranked. It's pretty easy to grind out wins in ranked right now because no one knows what they're doing yet. If you have even a bit of competence you should be able to rack up a pretty good number of victories there.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ive never played a moba before and uh...i dont understand the op. it says things like "get into lane faster", which i assume means the 3 different linear areas, but like, why do you have to wait to do that? you cant just go straight to the HQ? or whatever you call zapdos? or wait, is rotom and the turtle pokemon the HQ? what the heck is a "jungle buff"

i wanted to try this since it seemed like a simplified moba and like LOL and stuff was way too much for me to keep up with, is it not that simple?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mandatory lesbian posted:

ive never played a moba before and uh...i dont understand the op. it says things like "get into lane faster", which i assume means the 3 different linear areas, but like, why do you have to wait to do that? you cant just go straight to the HQ? or whatever you call zapdos? or wait, is rotom and the turtle pokemon the HQ? what the heck is a "jungle buff"

i wanted to try this since it seemed like a simplified moba and like LOL and stuff was way too much for me to keep up with, is it not that simple?

Nah it’s pretty simple terms you just don’t get yet are being used yet.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 23, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its for five year olds, the op is just very bad

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Thats super fair, if someone does a better one I'll replace it or link their thread, I didn't consider it from the angle of never played a mobile before.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
ops are overrated, sorry op.

Lanes are where your goals are located. there is a top one and a bottom one. the game sometimes suggests you go to one or the other but I dont understand that yet.

middle area is called the jungle. it's full of wild pokemon and no goals. some of the pokemon you faint give you buffs. I think there's a tutorial that covers this.

dont know what an HQ is. the place you start I guess? I'd call it base, or if I was being a grognard, the fountain.

the ingame tutorial is p good because, as mentioned, it's a game for 5 year olds.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It still follows the basic structures of a MOBA. The game's got a tutorial that explains a lot of the questions you're asking, but there's still the basic strategy layer of a moba. There's a limited number of resources on the entire map that you need to share and distribute between your team, and the enemy team is going to fight you over those resources. Because every level up is such a big power upgrade, you want to take into account at what points every character on your team is going to be the most powerful and distribute resources accordingly. This might seem like a lot, but honestly just sort of following a guide/recommendation is enough to play. Even in Dota, a quote unquote "real" moba, people still just sort of do whatever is generally accepted. Running the hero Axe in the safelane and buying the item Manta style on him is right now the most-used hero strategy at the three most recent tournaments and I still get people who yell at me for doing it in games because "uhhhh Axe is supposed to go offlane" because that's just been the most common strategy for the last several years. Very few people are analyzing all these factors on their own, so just following advice of "run this hero here and do this" will absolutely be enough for you to have a fun time, even if you don't exactly understand all of the behind-the-scenes numbers.

My general overall piece of advice is that you need to be ready at the 2:00 mark to fight Zapdos. He gives every member of your team 20 points, which are doubled to 40 at the 2:00 mark or below, and makes it so for the next 20 seconds all dunks are instant, so whoever gets it can just run to the nearest goal for minimum 200 points. Plus, cooldowns go up exponentially at the 2:00 mark so generally my experience is that unless a game is an absolute blowout, whoever wins a fight at Zapdos just wins the game. Make absolutely sure you save your Unite move when it starts to get around that time, keeping in mind it using it also boosts all your stats afterward.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
A Pokemon MOBA? On Switch? Games are 10 minutes long tops? And I get to play Snorlax?
SOLD

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Where my 'mon Raichu at?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Airspace posted:

Where my 'mon Raichu at?

Forbidden!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Shouldn't pikachu start as pichu...

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Shouldn't pikachu start as pichu...

Theres a whole host of babymons that are ignored already: Baby Mime and Munchlax immediately come to mind.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Airspace posted:

Where my 'mon Raichu at?

Kind of glad he isn’t because I’d never play anything else.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Smogonbird is incredibly powerful but holy poo poo Alolan Ninetales is a massive killer. You just slow then freeze then push them into a wall and just work them like they're nothing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Counterpoint: Zeraora rushing in and doing whatever the gently caress it wants (killing me)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I'm coming to realize that stuns and slows are insanely good. The game has a lot of anime swordfighter characters that teleport behind you (Talonflame, Zeraora, Absol, etc) but being able to interrupt their combo totally shuts them down. I just did a lane with Snorlax and no one could get away from us

I'm at Great Ball Rank 4 and games are starting to get tough. Unfortunately, most games are decided by a snowball and I can usually tell what will end up happening within the first two minutes. It's 90% people who know how to play but the occasional person who still just doesn't understand how the game works, and so you'll occasionally see one person veer off to try and be the second jungler and you know the game's over immediately. The big thing is that almost every game has the exact same combination of characters so I'm practicing Machamp to see if I'm gonna buy him and take him to ranked because being able to shut down the jungler when he comes to your lane to nothing personnel kid your teammate seems to be incredibly important to making sure he doesnt get like thirty kills and instantly deletes Zapdos

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
CC (Crowd Control) in a video game like this is very good, especially Hard CC, which are effects that take away control from the enemy such as a stun a freeze or the like.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I have beaten the pets of many likely small children and savaged the local radiation from their bodies, a power that science was applied to craft a magnificent pair of cheap rear end flip flops.

Games fun. Kinda wish I knew what I was doing with Cinderace better, but I'll try and figure them out eventually. I'm annoyed by Flame charge because i feel I like I want to keep my distance and use it as an escape option and not like... turn around and getting into biting range of a Garchomp like it defaults too. The feint option only sometimes is offered.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Caidin posted:

I have beaten the pets of many likely small children and savaged the local radiation from their bodies, a power that science was applied to craft a magnificent pair of cheap rear end flip flops.

Games fun. Kinda wish I knew what I was doing with Cinderace better, but I'll try and figure them out eventually. I'm annoyed by Flame charge because i feel I like I want to keep my distance and use it as an escape option and not like... turn around and getting into biting range of a Garchomp like it defaults too. The feint option only sometimes is offered.

Don't forget that any move that is able to be aimed (which is pretty much everything that isn't an aoe centered on yourself) can be directed with the right control stick before releasing the trigger. I use it when I'm running away with Eldegoss to shoot a Leaf Tornado in the direction I'm running so I can almost always get away safely.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Caidin posted:

Before the game you can set a default build that you will auto-follow if you don't make a skill selection during the game. You're supposed to be asked about every skill every game, only thing I can think of is that you level up mid-fights and it skills up before you're able to make a selection because you're focusing on the fight. I agree that Flame Charge is a much better ability though, Cinderace is like a sniper you want to keep away from the fight and so Flame Tackle is best used as a disengage, unless there's only one enemy left and you know you can use it to chase without anyone retaliating

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm amazed that even in this game where matches last a max of ten minutes, there's still rage afks.

Like I had a game where a surrender vote failed, and then our Venusaur afked in the bush rather than play for another two minutes. The worst part was that they just sat there while a Zeraora scored a 100 point goal next to them... And we ended up losing by 80 points.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's crazy there's afk ragers when you don't even know the score lmao.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't think I've had any AFK ragers but I've had like five or so games where someone is just AFK from the start of the game. I've realized that if you queue into a match but then don't pick a Pokemon, the game randoms you one and you get put into the game anyways. Though, I did just report the last guy who never left base and it immediately hit me with a feedback saying they were punishing him, which is cool. I've been watching moistcritical play all night and he's had a reasonable number of AFKers, too, but again, never mid-match, just from the get go

In other news, I'm no meta slave or whatever but I gotta say, I can really see an internal tier list emerging in my brain. By which I mean, almost every hero is pretty good but I have never once seen a single Cramorant win unless there's one on both teams. I just don't know what this guy does other than nothing. Had one guy pick him two games in a row, once on my team and then once on the enemy team and he lost both games. I can think of a few Pokemon I think are better than the rest of the cast, but I can't think of any other ones I say "ugh god please no" other than Cramorant

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I started playing this yesterday thinking "eh, it's free" and now I've been playing it constantly in my free time. The real draw is the ten minute matches and not getting called a slur when you do literally anything. Alolan Ninetales is an absolute killer and I am like 70% sure Crustle is no good.

Do you have to buy multiple copies of Held Items for your loadouts? Cos I haven't got to upgrading any of them yet and this is going to make that annoying.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't think I've had any AFK ragers but I've had like five or so games where someone is just AFK from the start of the game. I've realized that if you queue into a match but then don't pick a Pokemon, the game randoms you one and you get put into the game anyways. Though, I did just report the last guy who never left base and it immediately hit me with a feedback saying they were punishing him, which is cool. I've been watching moistcritical play all night and he's had a reasonable number of AFKers, too, but again, never mid-match, just from the get go

In other news, I'm no meta slave or whatever but I gotta say, I can really see an internal tier list emerging in my brain. By which I mean, almost every hero is pretty good but I have never once seen a single Cramorant win unless there's one on both teams. I just don't know what this guy does other than nothing. Had one guy pick him two games in a row, once on my team and then once on the enemy team and he lost both games. I can think of a few Pokemon I think are better than the rest of the cast, but I can't think of any other ones I say "ugh god please no" other than Cramorant

Cramorant has really high damage potential, but it needs a team that knows how to protect it. In a game where a lot of crowd controllers and melee attackers have good movement options Cramorant is a bit of a sitting duck with its small backdash. Venusaur has the same problem but has the luxury of extremely long-range damage options.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Solar Beam seems way too good to even consider going Petal Dance.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SirSamVimes posted:

Solar Beam seems way too good to even consider going Petal Dance.

Absolutely, just sniping people from a mile off feels great.

There does seem like an obvious optimal build for most characters. I play Talonflame and was spamming Fly until I realised Brave Bird was Fly but doing a shitload more damage

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

mfcrocker posted:

Absolutely, just sniping people from a mile off feels great.

There does seem like an obvious optimal build for most characters. I play Talonflame and was spamming Fly until I realised Brave Bird was Fly but doing a shitload more damage

Same goes for Garchomp. Unless I'm missing something really obvious, Dig does slightly less damage than Dragon Rush but makes up for it tenfold by being cast instantly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What is the deal with attack vs sp. attack. Do different moves key off one or the other, or is it just like, auto attack damage vs skill damage

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Different pokemon use different ones for their skills.

quote:

Physical Attack Pokemon are:

Absol
Charizard
Lucario
Machamp
Talonflame
Crustle
Garchomp
Greninja
Snorlax
Cinderace

Special Attack Pokemon include:

Venusaur
Zerora
Gengar
Slowbro
Alolan Ninetails
Eldegoss
Pikachu
Wigglytuff
Cramorant

there's no hybrid characters, so all of gengar's are special attacks and all of cinderace's are physical attacks. note that even if you're a special attack character your autos still key off regular attack, tho

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So take my wise glasses off Talonflame, got it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm seeing rumbles that Zeraora might actually be physical, not special

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

This game is wild and I'm not even 100% sure how to actually gauge how well I am doing. One game I'll be MVP of like a 600 to 200 victory and the next game I'll be dead last in a 100 to 540 lose. I know teammates make a difference, but drat I guess I didn't accept how much so.

I want to be support but it is pretty thankless especially for a game that gives rewards for obtaining multiple MVP statuses. Also even when I do support a lot of my teammates don't seem to understand that bases heal you and that it is often better to retreat, farm and then go back into a battle rather than zerging every time.

IDK.

I'll just keep "jungling" as Zeraora, it seems to work out best for me.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

The Deleter posted:

I am like 70% sure Crustle is no good.

the most moba-pissed i've got at this game so far has been when one of my crustle teammates kept constantly walling me off from killing people, presumably accidentally, and letting them escape lol

im sure it has a use but that has informed my crustle opinion forever now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Walls are insanely good in MOBAs whenever there's a character that can make them, and Crustle can even lower theirs. However I would not trust a 5 year old child with this power.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mfcrocker posted:

I'm seeing rumbles that Zeraora might actually be physical, not special

Seeing more and more info suggesting that Zeraora is physical, so stick with physical items. I might go test it in a minute.

Also yeah, as a hardened DOTA support I'm having to come around to the fact that I'm going to need to play carry as someone with MOBA experience in a game played by a bunch of kids. At least early doors, you're going to need to be that person who can pro-actively get poo poo done, start engagements etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I wonder if and when Blastoise is implemented if they would be a defender or an all-rounder.