Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

DC Murderverse posted:

Now I just have to decide which items. It makes sense to focus on the ones that have the widest use among the Pokemon I play, so probably the Buddy Barrier and the Score Shield, then maybe Focus Band? And then after those three I can upgrade the Muscle Band and Wise Glasses? Ugh choices.

Buddy Barrier and Focus Band are both really strong, but most of that strength is from their active effects (that max out at level 20) so its kind of an interesting decision: marginal value from upgrading those two from 20 to 30, but on items you should be running on nearly every pokemon vs upgrades to a more niche item that you run on fewer mons. Personally, I'm gonna probably gonna bump buddy barrier, wise glasses and muscle band up. I may hold on to see if the new items are worth running -- the hidden cool downs on held item effects makes it surprisingly hard to evaluate those items from their descriptions.

DC Murderverse posted:

Edit2: MOTHER FUCKER TJEY RUINED CHARIZARD’S UNITE MOVE

Disagree here -- I think they made it more consistently powerful while also giving more room for counter plays for the enemy team to stop cheese plays. Before there was a trade off between getting full value out of your AOE damage flying rampage mode and getting your stun off because the move ended when you used the stun. It is worse at securing a kill by using the stun for the last bit of someone's healh.

Phenotype posted:

I would hold off on these for a bit until they shake out how well the new items perform, but I think your initial choices are probably way off. The special effect on the items maxes out at level 20, so going from 20-30 just gives you that tiny bit of extra stats that items get with each level. So maxing Focus Band just gives you +30 defense instead of +20, and the numbers in this game are so high that those extra stats are a tiny part of your total. Score Shield and Buddy Barrier give you an extra +150HP and +200HP which may be significant for the early game, I guess?

It is true the value of those items at 30 vs 20 is pretty marginal at higher levels, but around the level of first skirmishes (4-5) it represents about 5-10% more HP, or about 20% more defense for many Pokémon.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Kyrosiris posted:

Next auto after using an ability is boosted, and if you're melee, it also applies a move slow.

This works pretty well with extreme speed Lucario.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If nothing else, it balances the playing field between FTP and whales, so I'm very grateful for that. (Game's miserable to play on phones, though, or maybe my fingers are just too fat.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just got the mobile version of this. How do I get Gengar

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

mastershakeman posted:

Just got the mobile version of this. How do I get Gengar

Solution A: Grind enough ingame coins to buy the license from the shop
Solution B: Using real :10bux: to buy gems to buy the license
Solution C: Play as Gengar during the free character rotations for casual matchmaking

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Lol what’s the point of a squad if you can’t send invites through it. You still have to friend everyone

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jaytan posted:

Buddy Barrier and Focus Band are both really strong, but most of that strength is from their active effects (that max out at level 20) so its kind of an interesting decision: marginal value from upgrading those two from 20 to 30, but on items you should be running on nearly every pokemon vs upgrades to a more niche item that you run on fewer mons. Personally, I'm gonna probably gonna bump buddy barrier, wise glasses and muscle band up. I may hold on to see if the new items are worth running -- the hidden cool downs on held item effects makes it surprisingly hard to evaluate those items from their descriptions.
It is true the value of those items at 30 vs 20 is pretty marginal at higher levels, but around the level of first skirmishes (4-5) it represents about 5-10% more HP, or about 20% more defense for many Pokémon.

Yeah, I've had some thoughts along these lines since I posted earlier, and I looked up the actual stats on unite-db and was kinda surprised at how much of a bump 200HP or 10 defense is early on. I thought they'd determined the base stats going from 20 to 30 was pretty marginal, but I don't think I'd ever looked at the numbers before now. I would take a look at the special attack formulas on the Pokemon you play before upgrading wise glasses, though -- that information was figured out about a week ago, and it turns out a lot of Pokemon don't really get much benefit from extra Sp Atk even if you'd think it would fit them perfectly. The extra +13 Sp Atk you get from upgrading Wise Glasses to 30 at best ends up translating to like 8 extra damage on your abilities.

Anyone play much Eldegoss pre-patch? They said Leaf Tornado was changed but I don't know what's different about it. I only had time to play a couple matches earlier, though. Not a big fan of the phone controls, just feels really mushy (although this is always an issue for me with touchscreen controls) and I missed quite a few kills because I wasn't attack-moving nearly as well as I could on Switch. I also definitely prefer playing in my easy chair and my big screen TV haha.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

If it helps, one of the top players just did this on stream when it comes to which items to upgrade first

The Harrowing
May 3, 2021

mfcrocker posted:

If it helps, one of the top players just did this on stream when it comes to which items to upgrade first

3 of the top 4 of that list are incredible on Blissey btw.

Do we have a discord for pokemon unite?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

The Harrowing posted:

3 of the top 4 of that list are incredible on Blissey btw.

You can't really go wrong with 3 of the top 4 on any mon

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I feel like razor claw + scope lens on absol is going to be brutal as hell

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I've been running Buddy, Focus and Score on my Crustle build and consistently been scoring a ton.

As to what to upgrade to 30, I watched a video that indicated that the increase from 20 to 30 on some of those.items, might not be as worth it, as using it on an item that has % increase, like scope lens.

I use Stealth Rock on Crustle and the extra Crit damage from Scope seems like it could be good. Going to do a week with the free upgrade on Scope to see how I'd do. And since I'm solo queue, might use it over buddy barrier.

As well, I'm very curious how Razor will be with Lucario as the extreme speed, basic attack, extreme speed basic attack combo seems like it could be deadly.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Boywunda posted:

As well, I'm very curious how Razor will be with Lucario as the extreme speed, basic attack, extreme speed basic attack combo seems like it could be deadly.

It is. I one shot a full HP Zezora(?) with extreme speed. The trick is getting the ExSpd basic attack consistently. It's hard to manually aim and get the boosted attack.
It's going to get nerfed. It has to.

I'm curious to see if Weakness Policy works with Garchomp.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I'm really coming around to using Fluffy Tail on Blissey and I'm starting to wonder if I should carry it on any other Pokemon.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
My first match after coming back from a few days was inexplicably a bot match, and it looks like they've considerably bumped up the AI in those matches. Your allies don't spam retreat as much and the enemy are actually able to evolve and take objectives. I actually only barely won and couldn't just mindlessly mash attacks like every bot match before.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

The Harrowing posted:

A bunch of us hang out in the #pokemon channel in the Nintengoon Discord. We had four of us playing a bunch of tense games last night.

Reminder for anyone looking for a squad!
#G1A5RQNY

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Shoegazing posted:

A bunch of us hang out in the #pokemon channel in the Nintengoon Discord. We had four of us playing a bunch of tense games last night.

#G1A5RQNY

Request to join sent! I play nearly every day simply to do the daily missions. Now I need friends to actually complete them.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shoegazing posted:

#G1A5RQNY

Just sent a join request as Quirnus R18TRCF

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

I’ve added everyone to the squad. Make sure to friend me and everyone else in the squad so you can send and receive party invites from everyone. There’s quite a few of us now!

We’ve had some awesome games lately. Five of us had a great win streak in ranked after finding a composition that really worked for us.

We coordinate in the discord a lot for matches as well as voice chat. Be sure to join us there, even if you don’t wanna do voice.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What discord are you guys in? I accidentally canceled an invite tonight and couldn't figure out how to try to link up with you guys again.

Looks like they fixed the Lucario and Crustle bugs tonight, too. Now that it's safe, I want to hook up with someone this week to take a run at Masters (or at least Ultra) before the end of the season. I think there's a ton of mission tickets behind doing ranked games with friends, too. I'm Expert 3 now, but 60%+ win rates with Greninja, Eldegoss, Snorlax, Blastoise, Ninetails.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Phenotype posted:

What discord are you guys in? I accidentally canceled an invite tonight and couldn't figure out how to try to link up with you guys again.

We hang out in the #pokemon channel in the Nintengoons Discord.

We got a whole bunch of new members today, so much so that I’m not positive they are all goons, so if you are it really helps me keep track if you join the discord and say hi, or at least post in here (or heck PM me). I want to make sure if I have to start cutting members that I’m not choosing a goon over a pubbie.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm trevorrrznik and gonna send friend requests today. I'm not too good at the game but am getting better with Gengar. Shadow ball and dream eater seem to be the way to go for me plus the speed item to run away

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mastershakeman posted:

I'm trevorrrznik and gonna send friend requests today. I'm not too good at the game but am getting better with Gengar. Shadow ball and dream eater seem to be the way to go for me plus the speed item to run away

Most Gengars run with Hex since if you shadow ball first and hit with hex the cool down resets. This means you can get three Hex off, four if you are good, and get quick picks. They did nerf him and make it so you are no longer invulnerable when it hexing, so Gengar has dropped off the meta these days.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Most Gengars run with Hex since if you shadow ball first and hit with hex the cool down resets. This means you can get three Hex off, four if you are good, and get quick picks. They did nerf him and make it so you are no longer invulnerable when it hexing, so Gengar has dropped off the meta these days.

Weird. I ran hex for a while but found it led to me getting killed super easily and also making it difficult to chase things down. I was running it with sludge bomb originally but shadow ball duration isn't that much longer is it?

Dream eater is also nice as an escape tool where you just use it once and leave

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Makes sense, I used to main Gengar until I discovered my crabby boi, but I think there's a couple reasons people used sludge bomb instead of shadow ball. I believe that the tool tip for Hex says that the cool down resets if you use on someone with a status effect, but I think it only actually works for poison, so shadow ball doesn't help. Also the nerf to hex is causing what you say I think where hex is just a suicide move.

So I played a bit last night and had some good games, we had a 50% win rate, which isn't bad given most of us weren't on voice.

Just a few things I wanted to get in thread:

1) scoring gives you a decent amount of health. I run score shield on crustle, so I dunk 5 or 10 points a bunch during the early game, and steal their berries. I hide in bushes until I have just enough time left on Shell Smash to get to their goal, and dunk, and then Shell Smash is off cool down just as I finish the dunk and I can snatch the berries and run off, rinse and repeat. It keeps their top laners busy with a fools errand while the other top can farm or rotate bottom for Dread. This tested system usually means you can get 50 points, deny their berries, and sustain for days.

2) rushing T2 is always a problem unless you are really far ahead, and if you do, remember to score on the extreme furthest edge of the goal since if they superjump in it won't get you.

3) and most important (I think this one of the main things separates lower ranks from master) if you are in the lead, defend but don't kill Zapdos. The last hit on Zap is always a 50/50 since it's easy to steal, so don't get Zap to that point, just defend and never kill him. Even if you get 3 or 4 of them, just sit on zap, don't be the guy that lets the remaining Eldegoss ult in and snatch him.'

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I’ve been rolling solo but managed to get to masters through sheer repetition and I’ve found the biggest changes are A) noticeable lack of the gible players who absolutely suck rear end and are having a terrible time but it’s fun to watch them struggle and B) the enemy team is almost always a group.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Lucario's Extreme Speed got fixed and is no longer one shoting mobs and opponents. Still a blue blur. Still dangerous. Just much less broken.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Lucario has always seemed broken to me even without that bug. He's gotta be the only Pokemon that can chase you down even through the negative speed zone behind your goal. It is aggravating as hell having to back further and further off the goal because he just won't stop coming.

I finally bought him last night. :( I've played him a few times before, but that playstyle just doesn't click with me, I don't like having to keep track of my positioning through a bunch of dashes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Makes sense, I used to main Gengar until I discovered my crabby boi, but I think there's a couple reasons people used sludge bomb instead of shadow ball. I believe that the tool tip for Hex says that the cool down resets if you use on someone with a status effect, but I think it only actually works for poison, so shadow ball doesn't help. Also the nerf to hex is causing what you say I think where hex is just a suicide move.

So I played a bit last night and had some good games, we had a 50% win rate, which isn't bad given most of us weren't on voice.

Just a few things I wanted to get in thread:

1) scoring gives you a decent amount of health. I run score shield on crustle, so I dunk 5 or 10 points a bunch during the early game, and steal their berries. I hide in bushes until I have just enough time left on Shell Smash to get to their goal, and dunk, and then Shell Smash is off cool down just as I finish the dunk and I can snatch the berries and run off, rinse and repeat. It keeps their top laners busy with a fools errand while the other top can farm or rotate bottom for Dread. This tested system usually means you can get 50 points, deny their berries, and sustain for days.

2) rushing T2 is always a problem unless you are really far ahead, and if you do, remember to score on the extreme furthest edge of the goal since if they superjump in it won't get you.

3) and most important (I think this one of the main things separates lower ranks from master) if you are in the lead, defend but don't kill Zapdos. The last hit on Zap is always a 50/50 since it's easy to steal, so don't get Zap to that point, just defend and never kill him. Even if you get 3 or 4 of them, just sit on zap, don't be the guy that lets the remaining Eldegoss ult in and snatch him.'

Oh and to add to this, if you do take Zap and dunk mad hundos, go back to your base! If you let your opponents have their way with your goals while you fart around in the wild you wind up losing by 4 points.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Quick reminder: if you are sending an invite to the squad you gotta let me know somewhere you’re a goon. I got 9 requests today in two hours and I have no idea if any of them are SA users.

We have very few open slots left so I’m gonna be exercising those restrictions from now on.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phenotype posted:

Lucario has always seemed broken to me even without that bug. He's gotta be the only Pokemon that can chase you down even through the negative speed zone behind your goal. It is aggravating as hell having to back further and further off the goal because he just won't stop coming.

I finally bought him last night. :( I've played him a few times before, but that playstyle just doesn't click with me, I don't like having to keep track of my positioning through a bunch of dashes.

I feel like the yellow lightning melee guy , za something is similar, and so is absol. I don't see Machamp at all (buying him next) and Gengar can't chase worth a poo poo and is even worse at running away

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think Talonflame is just about fine but the amount that Zeraora and Lucario can jump around is pretty frustrating. As for Machamp, he is a truly solid mon to have around. He can lane, gank, farm, the whole thing. He’s best as a roamer but he’s never truly bad.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Shoegazing posted:

Quick reminder: if you are sending an invite to the squad you gotta let me know somewhere you’re a goon. I got 9 requests today in two hours and I have no idea if any of them are SA users.

We have very few open slots left so I’m gonna be exercising those restrictions from now on.

I'm on mobile and I joined the discord, can I get in on the goon group action?

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

PleasantDirge posted:

I'm on mobile and I joined the discord, can I get in on the goon group action?

Send an invite to the squad #G1A5RQNY and let me know your unite username

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Shoegazing posted:

I sent an invite. My username is Crasherson. I'm good with Snorlax, Lucario, Mr.Mime, and Garchomp.

Pro-tip, Garchomp does better in top lane. He can maintain rage longer.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 28, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shoegazing posted:

Request sent, account is WFW

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Shoegazing posted:

Applied as Haschel47.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Shoegazing posted:

Requested as PokeBaller69

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Played a little Mamoswine last night. He caught me by surprise, actually -- I thought he was gonna be released on the weekend for some reason, and I was playing around 7:30 last night, and after a couple games I guess the day rolled over and he started showing up on my teams! He seems strong but not nearly as OP as Blastoise did on release, I think his damage is lower and being a melee Pokemon he's not as oppressive to lane against.

I'm not sure how much I like his kit. First impressions from a couple games was that his moves felt really clunky. High Horsepower is a dash move, but then at the end of the dash you're locked in place for a second as Mamo does a stomp. Earthquake, the alternative, makes you pause briefly before you start jumping. Ice Fang, too, has a weird delay on it -- I suppose it's necessary to control the move, but it makes him feel really choppy since you lift the enemy Pokemon up, pause for a split-second, then put him down. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth as most of the other Pokemon do, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I played against a good chunk of Mamos last night and I don't know if Talonflame's just that good now but it felt way easier to 1v1 than expected? I guess it could be a while before players figure out what he does best but it's kinda refreshing they didn't throw another hopelessly busted pokémon on the pile.