Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there a better way to regain your health other than walking all the way back to the nearest goal and sitting there for a while? I've used the fruits that spawn behind the goal but sometimes they're not there.

How many pokemon do you get to unlock with the initial new player bonuses? I've only played my first five or six games but I just realized that half the available pokemon have a timer over their heads and I don't actually own them and I think they're going away eventually? I've got the free Zerora, Slowpoke, Venusaur, and the Charmander (that I had to pick five minutes into the game when I'd never seen most of the others before :() and it looks like the coins are starting to come in tiny little amounts now, when the pokemon all cost 8k+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How do you actually interupt a goal score? I don't think that just a basic attack does it?

Any damage source will interrupt a dunk. There's one held item that gives you a protective shield while dunking though, and you have to break through that shield to interrupt them. Also, if Rotom/Zapdos break the shields of a dunk, all dunks become instant during that time frame, which is why if you ever get Zapdos you should just beeline the nearest net and let it rip. The shield held item is probably a nice security item if you also have the thing that increases your damage every time you dunk, but maybe unnecessary since you mostly wanna be doing small dunks. If you're doing a 30/40/50 hit, unless you're a tank with a massive HP pool, it'll be not too hard to break your shields in that time frame since it's %based on your max HP.

Phenotype posted:

Is there a better way to regain your health other than walking all the way back to the nearest goal and sitting there for a while? I've used the fruits that spawn behind the goal but sometimes they're not there.

How many pokemon do you get to unlock with the initial new player bonuses?

The berries are the best way to heal, but standing in a bubble will heal you pretty quickly early on too. You can also hit the down button to instaward back to base if things are REALLY bad and it would be faster than the bubble heal, and then jump pad or run back out.

Aside from the one Pokemon you got to chose at the beginning for free, you will also get Venusaur from the login bonuses on the first day. You can also check your mailbox for a free Zeraora on day 1. In the 14 Day Welcome Gift on the event page you get Ninetails, Cinderace, and Greninja all withing the first two weeks. Then, if you do the Beginner Challenges, on Day 7 you get Crustle. So you get like, a pretty good portion of the cast for free. You also get 950 coins for raising your player level every few levels. I'm level 15 and already bought Machamp and still have 7k coins left over. So yes, once you exhaust all of your early resources getting Pokemon slows down a lot, but after two weeks you've gotten half the cast for free, not counting the free rotation.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 23, 2021

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Phenotype posted:

You can push I believe down (or up?) on the D-Pad to teleport directly back to base, which will give you a pretty instant heal and you can head right back out. You're vulnerable while teleporting so hide in grass or just far enough away from the action to do it. Its almost always better to teleport back and regroup rather than push ahead alone when you're injured and don't have reliable healing nearby.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think Zapdos needs that instant dunk removed tbh, giving the team effectively is 130 points is cool and good, but make them actually score it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Boba Pearl posted:

I think Zapdos needs that instant dunk removed tbh, giving the team effectively is 130 points is cool and good, but make them actually score it.

Remember that in the final 2:00 all points are doubled so Zapdos is even worse!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh Jesus right, OK yeah some of that needs to be changed I think either that or laning is really just getting fed as fast as possible for the one important team fight.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah the final nail in the coffin is that in the final 2:00 death respawn timers are so high if you die in a Zapdos fight you're not gonna be back in time to stop them from dunking. That's what makes goaltending such a useful strategy though, just stalling out the game as long as possible because as long as you can nab Zapdos you can still squeak out a win.

Also I played two games since I made the post about goaltending and the thing I described where my entire team rotates bot for a fight and the enemy Zeraora scores a free 40-pointer top happened again

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I like this game and the fact that it heavily draws from my old squeeze LoL Dominion. However:

I thought Dominion's comeback mechanic needed to be tuned down and the first version of Infinite Crisis's meteor was wild, but this is loving dumb beyond comprehension

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The most insane thing is that it's something that I think relatively few people have noticed? Like it hits 2:20 and my team will still be farting around in the jungle and I'm losing my mind slamming the "I'm heading to the center!" button over and over

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I mean, I knew it was a swing, I just didn't know it was that kind of swing. It's not like the game breaks down any numbers for you anywhere.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I need a coach or something. I have been maining Venusaur and doing ok as long as I have a good defender in my lane I seem to do pretty ok. The problem is most games I don’t have a defender up top with me. Or anyone else for that matter and in these cases I don’t seem to be able to hold my own. Maybe it’s a case of pushing too hard and not focusing on the defence or something. I definitely think I need to learn to play a defender because the number of times I’ve been on all attacker/jungler teams in ranked is upsetting me but that won’t help if everyone just ignores top anyway! What strategy or whatever am I missing here that everyone else seems to get?

I do think some primers in general “moba strategy” would be good. I’ve played a tiny tiny bit of a few of them but never cared enough to really get stuck in.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I will say that learning how to play support decently well is the secret to crawling out of low ranks if you don't have friends that you can regularly play and communicate with. I don't win every match but I definitely feel like my team does better when we have a decent support.

One problem with support players right now: Eldegoss is the only free support and that's only if you picked it to start with. Mr. Mime and Wigglytuff aren't in the free rotation, so you have to actually go out of your way to purchase those, and I doubt there are too many kids who would rather buy them over things like Garchomp, Gengar, and Lucario.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Plasbad posted:

I will say that learning how to play support decently well is the secret to crawling out of low ranks if you don't have friends that you can regularly play and communicate with. I don't win every match but I definitely feel like my team does better when we have a decent support.

One problem with support players right now: Eldegoss is the only free support and that's only if you picked it to start with. Mr. Mime and Wigglytuff aren't in the free rotation, so you have to actually go out of your way to purchase those, and I doubt there are too many kids who would rather buy them over things like Garchomp, Gengar, and Lucario.

You can bet your rear end Wigglytuff was the first thing I paid coins to unlock and as long as you don't have a team of complete braindeads I can enable a dps character to absolutely wreck house.

Sadly I think 75% of my lobbies you'll get 3 dps going top row or sniping each other in jungle and a slowpoke that insists on following me around and we lose the bottom lane super hard.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So do the costumes for evolving pokemon only kick in at the final stage and you can't have Scorbunny in a pirate bandana for the 3 or 2 minutes of a normal match their around in? Seems lame, especially given all the effort they put into letting you dress your very irrelevant trainer.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Here's my general advice for the laning phase of the game, which is usually like the first 3-5 minutes of the game. I know this might not be what you're experiencing, but here is generally what I think playing the laning stage optimally looks like.

The main thing to understand is that every level is a massive power spike, and so every level counts. EXP is shared between all the Pokemon of the same team who hit a creep (any neutral Pokemon that is not a member of the enemy team), but if you're the one who deals the killing blow you get most of it. The big factors that are going to lead to early success are making sure the right Pokemon on your team are getting enough levels. But, keep in mind you're not just sharing resources with your team - you want to be fighting the enemy for their resources.

This leads into the first huge mistake I see, which is people trying to "help" the jungler. Imo this is a huge red flag for a few reasons. Generally, your jungler is going to be a character who benefits a LOT from an early power spike. If you're Bulbasaur, hitting level 5 is going to give you access to Sludge Bomb, which is nice, but it's not a game-changer. Letting your Zeraora get his triple-blink that will allow him to kill the enemies is a significant increase in his power. It's way more important for him to get off to a good start than it is for you. Don't try and stay back and hit the Ludicolo/Bouffalant with your jungler, you're going to cripple their game, and it's also going to significantly delay the time it takes you to get to lane.

You want to get to lane quickly, like I said, because you're fighting for resources. The little Aimpom on the way are freebies - once you actually get to lane, there's 3/5 Audinos waiting for you, and you want to fight over these. Like I said, every level is a huge advantage, so coming out ahead on creep kills when there's a very limited number of creeps on the entire map is very very good. I made a bad drawing to try to illustrate what you should be trying to do. This is specifically bot lane, but the same thing applies to top.

Since there's an odd number of creeps, one team is coming out of this lane ahead no matter what. So, your immediate priority is to get to lane as fast as you can and try and get that mid creep to make sure that it's your team with the EXP advantage. I'm able to get there uncontested in almost all of my games. If you do manage to get there uncontested, start looking to steal that fourth creep in blue. If the enemy is slow, you can easily poke at them with your long-range moves as Bulbasaur. Again, if you can manage to steal it, you're gonna be WAY up on experience and the lane is gonna be so goddamn easy, because then you'll be way stronger when it comes time to fight over Vespiqueen. All you need to do is get the last hit on it to steal the EXP - save up Razor Leaf and use it to steal the kill. This is why I said to not "help" your jungler, because if the enemy team decided to do this to you and your laning partner had to defend against this 1v2 your teams early game would be completely screwed. It might seem like I'm making a big deal out of something so silly, but imagine if you were 1v1 Ivysaur vs Ivysaur and one of you had Solar Beam and the other didn't. That's a massive advantage.

The remaining two Audinos on your side of the map will either be easy kills because the other team doesn't want to go that far into your territory. Or, they'll try and fight you, buuuuuut at this point, it will be late enough into the game that your jungler will (hopefully) be looking at the map and realize the enemy are so far away from their little safety bubble that they're easy kills. That's why you want to do the dangerous EXP stealing early - the enemy jungler will be busy doing the two big creeps at that point.

Once all the creeps are dead, the thing that I see bad players do is just wander off. REALLY bad players will go back and try and do Ludicolo and Bouffalant. Again, if your goal is only being defended by one person, your enemy will easily be able to push them back. You want to hang out in your bubble long enough to heal up and start posturing in the center near the Vepiqueen spawn. As Bulbasaur, hang out just outside of their range and harass them so they take continual chip damage, so if a fight breaks out you're up on health and the enemy can't contest. From there, it's mostly just a process of repeating this cycle. Again, the biggest advice I have is not to leave the lane unless you need to heal at base or something. Even if you have to just sit for like ten seconds or something, there's always new stuff spawning that you want to be at full health to contest. Wandering off puts you away from all the objectives like Rotom/Dreadnaw or at too low an HP amount to fight over them. If the enemy ever wanders off, push into their little bubble with your numbers advantage for a free score. Destroying the enemy bubble is a huge advantage because it means they get to lane significantly slower and they can't heal up with berries if they take too much damage in a fight. Similarly, these are the reasons you need to be ready to defend your bubble, and why just wandering off to hit jungle creeps for EXP and letting the enemy get free dunks isn't worth it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have never once seen a single Cramorant win unless there's one on both teams. I just don't know what this guy does other than nothing. Had one guy pick him two games in a row, once on my team and then once on the enemy team and he lost both games. I can think of a few Pokemon I think are better than the rest of the cast, but I can't think of any other ones I say "ugh god please no" other than Cramorant

Counterpoint:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So how P2W is this game?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

John Lee posted:

Counterpoint:

Yeah Cramorant owns but he’s super fragile and really needs a support buddy that knows what the gently caress they’re doing to keep him alive - with that he’ll eat the other team alive.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vegastar posted:

Yeah Cramorant owns but he’s super fragile and really needs a support buddy that knows what the gently caress they’re doing to keep him alive - with that he’ll eat the other team alive.

Any goons playing ? The discord has this right?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Cramorant is easily broken as hell if you play him right, between his self heal, whirlpool, and air slash

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

So how P2W is this game?
not at all

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Michaellaneous posted:

So how P2W is this game?

Worse than I initially thought due to the hidden mechanic where the game will let you purchase item upgrades with premium currency instead of tickets if you run out. There's nothing you can buy that you can't earn in-game, but item upgrades are a big grind at high levels. That being said, fully upgrading a held item costs forty dollars, so you'd have to spend a ton of money for an upgrade that...may or may not help you win. I watched a guy last night spend 300$ on held items and still only went 60/40 winrate at Great Ball rank 1. For refernece, I'm at Expert rank 1 (four ranks above him) and have a 70% winrate and haven't even leveled up items up using the earned currency the game's given me for free. Most of the kids/teens playing the game aren't going to be shelling out that kind of money on the game either, so unless you're looking to go pro at the game, you'll have fun without engaging with any of that stuff.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Phenotype posted:

How many pokemon do you get to unlock with the initial new player bonuses?

You get to pick one during the opening tutorial (Eldegoss, Snorlax, Pikachu, Charizard or Talonflame).

You get Zeraora from logging in during the launch window. Check your mail.

You get Slowbro and trainer level 2 and Venusaur at trainer level 5.

You get Ninetales on day 2, Scorbunny on 8, and Greninja on 14 as daily login rewards.

You can get Crustle as the day 7 challenge.

Pokemon moneys are front loaded so you'll have enough to buy a guy in no time.

Pokemons with a clock are in the weekly(?) free rotation.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Am I an idiot for dumping all my upgrades at the beginning into the Muscle Band? It seems like it would be universally useful with whoever I play

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Worse than I initially thought due to the hidden mechanic where the game will let you purchase item upgrades with premium currency instead of tickets if you run out. There's nothing you can buy that you can't earn in-game, but item upgrades are a big grind at high levels. That being said, fully upgrading a held item costs forty dollars, so you'd have to spend a ton of money for an upgrade that...may or may not help you win.
i didnt actually know this lol. that sucks rear end

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
scoreboard.jpg was by far the best part of league of legends threads 10 years ago

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Michaellaneous posted:

So how P2W is this game?

At the top levels, potentially pretty bad. The main culprit is being able to level up your held items to 30 which takes a lot of resources.

It's conjecture on how many people will actually bother thought and if you're just jamming unranked or aren't pushing for Master in ranked, I highly doubt it's going to be a problem at all.

E;F,B

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think I love this game.

It's the first moba in years since I quit dota 2 that I feel able to actually understand from the outset. Switching characters is super easy because they're so obvious. And this has the additional effect of what happened to you also being pretty obvious because the powerset is so limited.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

World Famous W posted:

Am I an idiot for dumping all my upgrades at the beginning into the Muscle Band? It seems like it would be universally useful with whoever I play

You're mostly right because every character's autoattack is based on their attack stat, so attack and attack speed are pretty solid upgrades on almost every character. It'll be less useful on someone like, Snorlax or Slowbro, but w/e it's a safe bet. I wanted to know which characters I liked the most before doing that but now that I'm set on Machamp I probably would have gone with that anyways

also, re: P2W. Getting the Muscle Band to level 20 costs 567 coins. Totally doable. Getting it to level 30 costs 2587. Not reasonable. But, level 20 gives you the max damage% buff, so the only thing level 30 gets you is 2.5% attack speed and 5 attack. Is 2.5% attack speed and 5 attack worth 40$? Not really? Like, that's nowhere near worth it and doesn't even really seem like that much of an advantage, honestly.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 24, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm not sure the difference between a level 10 item which still takes a fuckload of enhancers but is relatively achievable, and a fully upgraded item is that meaningful a difference though. Like probably enough to be an edge vs evenly matched players but I don't think you're going to be stomping people if you spend $120 for a full set and have 2% extra attack speed or whatever

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
they're just going to add shinies to the gacha when they want some more money

game is pretty fun though, edelgoss isn't particularly exciting but i've been doing work. being able to hover ominously over a teamfight is fun

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The gacha is craziest thing about the monetization in this game because, I don't think you can buy pulls?? You have to actually play the game to earn gacha energy but, you can pay to get more energy per game and also pay to break the limit on how many pulls you can earn a week. Idk that I've ever seen gacha implemented that way

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Edit: I think I confused myself

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Played some snorlax

I was a big DOTA player (1000 hours in DOTA 2 but more in HON and DOTA1 before that) and this is a nice little relaxing version of that for now, where I can also be snorlax

Not too keen about having permanent stat boosts that give players advantages though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm not buying it to find out but my understanding is, that doesn't give you 1000 energy straight up, but adds 1000 energy to the tank on the left that you still need to play to extract pulls from. You get 1400 energy in the tank for free a week

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
There's nothing particularly amazing in the gacha anyway beyond the holo. Only other item I wanted was the pink hoodie and that's come out for me too.

Most of the stuff in there is available for fashion tickets too

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The game's monetization is a weird combination of every possible method. Kind of expected of Tencent though, if you've played any other Chinese MOBA/BRs everything about the shop/UI will seem pretty familiar

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

homeless snail posted:

I'm not buying it to find out but my understanding is, that doesn't give you 1000 energy straight up, but adds 1000 energy to the tank on the left that you still need to play to extract pulls from. You get 1400 energy in the tank for free a week
Yeah, I think I misread things

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh poo poo I finally remembered, yeah, the game's main menu UI and shop and monetization poo poo is almost identical to the standalone Autochess client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The quick mode map today is wild, no lanes all jungle, and you get 2x points when you dunk immediately after anyone else dunks in a hoop so you really need perhaps a bit more coordination than you should expect from a moba for babies. You can tell pretty much within the first minute who's going to win, depending on whichever team is setting up dunks properly