Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The Australian boxer Skye Nicolson has an interesting story, she's through to women's featherweight QF, her older brother competed in boxing at the 1992 Olympics but both of her brothers died in a traffic accident on the way to boxing training before she was born, so even though she never met them she wants to make them proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

for the second straight day a country wins it's first gold ever

bermuda's flora duffy won the women's triathlon

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Won it with a very impressive lead. Crossed the line alone and still had time to collapse, stand up, and walk around before the rest started coming in.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh poo poo she THOUGHT she won the gold? lol ok that's funny.

Someone posted the video of her asking her coach why the clock said that she was +1:35, and her coach just slowly shaking his head. https://streamable.com/8o2qwv .

I do slightly feel sorry for her, since this was posted in the fuckups thread:

Friend posted:

Just found out the woman who thought she won gold but actually got silver was also the woman who crashed at Rio and fractured her spine

https://youtu.be/ktKTiEALGx4

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 27, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I just saw that wipe out from that post. Holy poo poo. She smashed he spine on that curb. :(

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh boy Osaka just kinda imploded

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The women's triathlon was awesome. First time gold for Bermuda and the silver medallist had to overcome a punctured tyre.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Simone Biles just pulled out of the team final after one round

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Little bit of subversiveness in dressage - Portugal's Rodrigo Torres riding to Pink Floyd's "Money" in his freestyle. For context the Portuguese team are riding their national breed, the Lusitano, which is less commonly seen in competitive dressage in favor of European warmbloods, the latter of which are bought and sold for 6-7 figures. The Portuguese were very much the underdogs and lack the same funding as the top teams. Does anyone care that Torres used "Money"? Probably not, but it was funny.
Also Torres riding the lines facing the judges with one hand on the reins - doesn't earn any extra technical points, but looks cool and says "I am a great rider, who cares about my short chonk horse".

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I find the dressage fascinating due to the products of acute multi-generational inbreeding on show. The horses are fun to watch as well.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Chas McGill posted:

I find the dressage fascinating due to the products of acute multi-generational inbreeding on show. The horses are fun to watch as well.

:hmmyes:

Still want to see Austria bust out an all-Lipizzaner team some day...or would Slovenia be more appropriate?

Probably Slovenia, they could be all like "gently caress yo medals, we gonna bust out some real pro moves."

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
San Marino got there first ever medal, taking bronze in the women's trap. The same shooter almost got a medal in 2012 when three people were tied for 2nd, but she was the first to miss a shot in the shoot off back then so she came fourth.

https://twitter.com/JamesAALongman/status/1420614969205329921?s=20

Centusin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 29, 2021

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

And not just "sing" like other athletes sing, they even sing well!
I still think they rugby union should be olympic as well, but rugby 7s has been really great in 2016 and 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

cebrail posted:

And not just "sing" like other athletes sing, they even sing well!
I still think they rugby union should be olympic as well, but rugby 7s has been really great in 2016 and 2021.

nah, I don't think the Olympics needs to be the world championships for some of these sports -- soccer is already U23 so not on the same level, basketball honestly should be the same as well so that the FIBA World Cup can become the proper major event. And rugby union doesn't have a quick enough turnaround between games to allow for a tournament in the time span of the Olympics, the World Cup last year ran almost 6 full weeks.

Rugby sevens is easier to learn and introduce into non-traditional rugby countries, the tournaments are much shorter, and I'd prefer to see that tournament grow to 16 or 24 teams per competition than to also add in 15s.