Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The hard drive of a dead PS3 is useless, right, because everything on it is encrypted? I wanted to transfer some old saves to pc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Because I am a weirdy weird I played through The Last of Us on PS3, beating it on Hard yesterday. I got all the collectibles (yes I know the Platinum is no longer attainable on PS3).

While it has more jank than the later PS4 version, I gotta say it holds up quite well on PS3. Framerate gets iffy when there's rain and spotlights but overall it's fairly solid. It's a bit weird because you need to get "money" to unlock concept art etc. (I think it's just all auto-unlocked on PS4) so there's an extra subset of achievements that don't necessarily match up with the game's trophies, mostly for hitting certain milestones in progress to collectibles and also killing enemies a certain way (e.g. I think killing a certain number of enemies with melee weapons). While it was the digital version (which took around 5 hours to download and install, fortunately without the double-space requirement of other games thanks to its own downloader/installer), I think there were data streaming issues at times that broke A.I. and things like that, possibly because my hard drive was extremely full and the data likely quite fragmented.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Can you even use the PS3 (actual) saves on PC (emulator?) I thought PCSX3 or whatever had a different save format than the PS3's?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Decided to pickup 40k Space Marine for ps3 since Space Marine 2 is supposed to come out some time this year. Game is still good af. Weirdly the parched version of the game has an inconsistent framerate and weird stuttering through cutscenes. I deleted the patch file and it seems to be working fine now. Just seems weird that the patch somehow makes the game run worse. I tried rebuilding the database and restoring files through safe mode and it did nothing to help the video issues. On a super slim if that matters somehow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are actually a small number of games with a reputation for having issues when patched but not unpatched. I think the XCOM game is another to look out for with this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Decided to pickup 40k Space Marine for ps3 since Space Marine 2 is supposed to come out some time this year. Game is still good af. Weirdly the parched version of the game has an inconsistent framerate and weird stuttering through cutscenes. I deleted the patch file and it seems to be working fine now. Just seems weird that the patch somehow makes the game run worse. I tried rebuilding the database and restoring files through safe mode and it did nothing to help the video issues. On a super slim if that matters somehow.

That’s good to know, I was playing it very recently patched and it ran really badly. Presumably you had to start again?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah. Thankfully I was just at the intro portion so it wasn't too big of a deal. I think the game will try to auto update overnight at some point. I should prob turn that feature off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Yeah. Thankfully I was just at the intro portion so it wasn't too big of a deal. I think the game will try to auto update overnight at some point. I should prob turn that feature off.

Yeah, they're not pushing a lot of PS3 patches in tyool 2023 so you don't need to monitor for them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Goddammit. The plat trophy requires multiplayer bullshit. That was way too common back in the ps3 days and just feels like a way to pad the trophy list

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Hey I got an old PAL PS3 fat which is inconveniently region locked on the PS1/2 side. I want to tear it down and make it like the ultimate PS3 or something with custom firmware.

Anybody got a cheatsheet on something like this?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I was digging through the ps+ premium service and decided, hey I should replay the Strong Bad games and finally finish up all their trophies.

Got four episodes down, will do the last tomorrow. I checked on it and it turns out it's been 12 years since I started playing them.

PS3 will never die, even if I can only do streaming with them. (I actually do have a ps3 still hooked up, this is just pretty convenient and I can play it on my ps4 which is in my office)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I making this year some kind of list of games to beat on PC, PS4 and Xbox and was thinking about giving a try some PS3 exclusives I have yet to play like Resistance 2 and 3, and Killzone 2 and 3. I liked Resistance 1 even with the jank, are the other two games better?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Killzone 2 is decent, I'm playing through it at the moment. It still looks amazing. Only downside is the input lag is pretty bad. 3 feels way better to play.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Which of those FPS had the good campaigns, again? I keep confusing them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I never liked the resistance games. they look awful

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Which of those FPS had the good campaigns, again? I keep confusing them.

Killzone 2 & 3 had pretty solid, if goody af campaigns. Resistance was pretty solid as well, but you're not shooting space nazis, so it's less fun imo.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any PS3 exclusive game that is better played unpatched? Thinking the Resistance and Killzone games. Darksiders II on PS3 patched looks like it caused a new wave of problems.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

One of the newer XCOMs, I think Enemy Within, is more stable on 1.00 than 1.01.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks! I read that they hosed up Killzone 3 in a patch but only multiplayer iirc. So I guess I'm fine as I don't think I'll play a X-Com game on an older console (I own the physical copy on Xbox360).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Killzone 3 won’t work patched if you’ve upgraded your PS3 hard drive, for ages I couldn’t figure out the issue until I googled it. Works fine straight from the disk

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Killzone 3 won’t work patched if you’ve upgraded your PS3 hard drive, for ages I couldn’t figure out the issue until I googled it. Works fine straight from the disk

Yeah I upgraded to a 1Tb drive before doing the whole CFW thing, if my ISO from my disk doesn't work (need to check if I patched the game or not) I'll just play from the physical disk then. I hope between this week and the next I can kick out Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 from my backlog.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Finally ps3 in hd.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1682437296405241857?t=PKt8txjwjy1BFYWgybinRA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I've been on the PS3 a bit recently after learning that a slim PS3 can use a custom firmware to inject PS2 disc images into the PS Classics launcher thing and run emulated versions that way. Some work and some don't.

I'm having a problem that I can't figure out. I have a PS3 eye camera which I've used with a head tracker on my PC. I plugged it into my PS3 and it's like the exposure is set super low. If I turn on the lights I get an incredibly dim picture that almost looks black and white. There's not a dial on the camera to adjust lighting and the options in the PS3 menu only change the capture frame rate from 50hz to 60hz. If I go into a game that calibrates a Move Controller it fails over and over. Any idea what I can do to get the camera working normally?

edit: Ahh, I think the ps eye camera that I got with the IR Tracker was modded so that it has an easier time only picking up the IR signals and not anything else in the room. That makes sense and I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 19, 2024