Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
I couldn't transfer MGS1 from my PS3 to my Vita without disabling 2FA and the device password earlier this year so I hope this doesn't impose any weird restrictions like that.

Edit: Was forced to reinstate the Device Password to sign in on my PS3 but the process was made simple with the PS3 displaying a QR code that brought me directly to the correct page to create one.

HONKER24 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Wait, you cant make new ps3 psns!?!?!

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wait, you cant make new ps3 psns!?!?!

No, you're limited to making new PSN accounts on a PS4, PS5 and web browser. A PSN account is Sony system agnostic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This sounds like a pain but I guess I should try to get this update on my ps3. My vita has no need for internet access and is using a custom firmware so I will leave that alone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HONKER24 posted:

No, you're limited to making new PSN accounts on a PS4, PS5 and web browser. A PSN account is Sony system agnostic.

I'm guessing that, seeing as just locking the PS3 out of Sony's network like they wanted to is off the table for the forseeable future, they're locking the console down to a point of not being able to do anything through the hardware beyond playing, downloading, and buying games. That way there's as few means as possible to abuse whatever legacy method it uses to access PSN. (Buying purchases doesn't actually count, because it'll be a payload like "I request to add game id ABCD001 to account licenses" and the rest touching your PSN balance occurs server-side.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bad news bears: Metal Gear Solid 4 is no longer available on PS Now. It may reappear on the rebooted PS+ Premium, but for now this means it's a true PS3 exclusive again. The other Metal Gears are also gone from PS Now, but it stings particularly badly for 4.

On a personal note I've gotten through the first 19 missions in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain on PS3. Game holds up incredibly well on that platform, framerate is usually in the high 20s. There are a few angles you can look at on the various game maps that tank the framerate but they're surprisingly rare. Of course it's one of those games where the shoulder buttons are swapped so L1 and R1 are the aim/fire buttons because the PS3 triggers are so dogshit for that.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
I'm also playing MGS:V due to the server shut down (on mission 14) and even having played it to completion on a PS4 Pro, the Fox Engine holds up amazingly well on the PS3.

Now I just have to stop getting distracted by side missions and hunting to get this nuke built...

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I really should plug my PS3 back in and do another playthrough of MGS4.

And also finally play The Saboteur.

And Binary Domain (been meaning to play this for years now).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

I really should plug my PS3 back in and do another playthrough of MGS4.

And also finally play The Saboteur.

And Binary Domain (been meaning to play this for years now).

You really should; it's a 3-act 80's Action movie in game form, with big exploding robots and it's goofy as poo poo in the best way possible :allears:. I also recommend getting the Dan Marshal Pack DLC if possible, because the alternate secondary-fire mode it gives your assault rifle is way more usable than the default version.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh whoops, I thought mission 21 was enough to be able to build a nuke but it's actually mission 31, so there's more to do and anyone who wants to do this needs to seriously haul rear end if they haven't started yet.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is building the nuke the only trophy for mp? i thought you didnt need to be in the mp bit to build one?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
A forced 2fa? Nah I think I won’t update.

Unless they patch out the cmos time bomb? Did they do that?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

A forced 2fa? Nah I think I won’t update.

Unless they patch out the cmos time bomb? Did they do that?

yeah, at least they did on ps4.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

is building the nuke the only trophy for mp? i thought you didnt need to be in the mp bit to build one?

There are three online trophies in all:

The first is to start a FOB invasion. You can do this after finishing mission 21. You just need to start one, you don't have to win or finish.

The other two relate to nukes, which you can't develop until after you finish mission 31. I believe developing them does have to at least finish online, they aren't an item that has any function without being online, and the nuke will stay at 1 minute remaining indefinitely when you build one until you connect online.

Developing them requires an absurd amount of resources which is further complicated by the fact that the quantities you need of fuel and minor metals more or less require you to farm containers of unprocessed materials, and then you have to wait a certain amount of time for the materials to process like it's a mobile game (which I think also requires you to grind out more materials than the actual total required because only a percentage of your holdings get processed). There is also a separation between resources you have online and resources you have offline, it MIGHT be better to grind materials offline (you can disconnect from the game's menu) but I'm not 100% sure about that. You need all your materials in one pot or the other, you can't share materials between online and offline storage.

Once you have enough materials in either online or offline developing the nuke takes time based on your base's development, I think it's 24-36 hours (this is realtime if you use online materials, in-game time if using offline materials). You also lose 50k Heroism but in the grand scheme of things this isn't that hard to bounce back from.

Once you have the nuke I think you have to be connected online for the trophy to pop. Once it does then you have to dismantle the nuke for the third and final online-only trophy.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It's much, much faster with online materials.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Its still hosed the chapter 2 ending is locked outside of errors or hacking. I got it to play on pc when there were so many nukes it caused a buffer overflow that triggered the ending and you getting the monument at base. That ending is good too, with venom coming to terms with his situation (at least until mg1) just feels good to end the game on, a weird hopefullness to it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

welcome posted:

It's much, much faster with online materials.

I'm not sure if it is, actually, unless there's something I'm fundamentally missing.

Right now the big issue I have is minor metals. I have plenty unprocessed but I don't think the game will actually process them in time before the server shut down.

Last night I had 15k processed minor metals in my inventory with 63k unprocessed, booted it today and the overnight online processing only yielded an extra 2.5k processed metals (and I need 50k minor metals for the nuke).

While it's more of a pain because you have to be actively playing, I think you can get your offline base to process offline minor metals faster than that.

Can you steal processed metals from people's FOBs? Even if you could I don't know if there is enough activity on the PS3 servers for this to work, I can't find online FOBs with any supplies you can steal.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The DF Retro video on Motorstorm got me to try out the series again. I played much more DriveClub than these games, but I really appreciate how many different vehicle types they have at the same time and the crazy number of different cross-crossing routes on each track. It’s like a good version of Sonic R.

I also played Noby Noby Boy again. It’s still a lot of fun. Somehow I remembered exactly how the unconventional controls worked.

I beat Demon’s Souls too, but on RPCS3. What an incredible game, and I’ll get to play the remake next month through the new PS5 subscription. For games like this, you need to play both versions, ideally the original first. There’s even a fully-functional private server that works on PS3 and RPCS3 that’s pretty easy to set up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ah OK I think I figured it out now. So here's how to do it:

- Select FOB missions
- Go to the "security challenge" tab (shield icon, 2nd from the right)
- Scroll through the list and find the big-point-and-rank people. What you want is one that offers a lot of rewards with most if not all platforms completed, and, most importantly, has their security set to 1, which means no soldiers defending it but might still be bots that are easy to avoid or dispatch. Apparently people do this by getting insurance (or since the servers are about to go offline, no longer caring) and being a resource farm for people.
- You want to spawn on specific platforms to get a bonus to one particular type of material (it will tell you what the bonus is).

Then it should largely just be a case of running to the marker, should take like 90ish seconds to 2 minutes.

Repeat until nuke ready. The main advantage is that this will give you mats which are already processed and it's by far the fastest way to accomplish this.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 23, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

I beat Demon’s Souls too, but on RPCS3. What an incredible game

I play it every few months on PS3 for a few hours, it’s incredible. I have a serious urge to play the remake now that I’ve finished Elden Ring

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I play it every few months on PS3 for a few hours, it’s incredible. I have a serious urge to play the remake now that I’ve finished Elden Ring

I just want a PS5 to play Demon's Souls. But at least I can play it on PS3 on all its messy glory.

For me it's the system seller like Bloodborne was for PS4.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

univbee posted:

MGS:V resource gathering tips.

Thanks so much for writing this up! Having played through the story on PS4, I now realize that I didn't fully understand how resource gathering, processing and online/offline banking fully worked in this game until now.

I would've totally been screwed out of making a nuke before the server shut down doing things with my incorrect understanding, but it is thankfully now in development using your guidance.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Playing Puppeteer for the first time, and this game just oozes charm! It's so delightful and fun to play.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:patriot:

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Woke up this morning and am $1.9M in debt on MGS:V due to the server shut down.

This means I used all available online-only funds before shutdown and still got hit with anything that was still in an unusable "processing" state.

Such a weird online hook to have.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://delistedgames.com/mays-firmware-updates-made-ps3-vita-and-psp-games-harder-to-get-and-some-inaccessible/

May’s firmware updates made PS3, Vita, and PSP games harder to get (and some inaccessible)

:argh:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

https://delistedgames.com/mays-firmware-updates-made-ps3-vita-and-psp-games-harder-to-get-and-some-inaccessible/

May’s firmware updates made PS3, Vita, and PSP games harder to get (and some inaccessible)

:argh:

Are you loving kidding me? I literally just last year spend a zillion hours downloading everything and transferring them between my ps3/vita to use my ps3 as basically a big Vita game storage space.

So de-listed psp games you already bought are effectively just gone now. Cool. Can’t wait for this all digital future everyone is excited about

Edit: wait I’m successfully copying psp games to my vita right now what on earth?

Edit2: lol nope it looks like it’s copying just fine and then gives an error. Awesome.

More weird, it’s letting me copy my Vita games from PS3 to Vita but not PSP or PS1 to Vita. I wonder if the difference is my vita games were previously transferred to Vita and then back, while the psp/1 games weren’t, and their installers are just chilling on my PS3 Home Screen?

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 5, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hack that vita

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
sony doesn't want your money just hack it and make your life easier.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

sony doesn't want your money just hack it and make your life easier.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

hows them ps1 games, playstation 3ers?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Are they free????

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Are they free????

only on vita!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Are they free????

They are if you CFW'd it. How else could they be free?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vikar Jerome posted:

pretty cool. i can play MGS and Final Fantasy 7 and VibRibbon and SOTN which is simply beyond the capabilities of the PS5's processing power

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 13, 2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So the list of streamable PS3 games is a slightly-trimmed list of what was on PS Now before. Most of what got removed was just cruft or something like the PS4 version is now on PS+, but a few key titles got removed like the Sly Cooper games and Killzones, and Heavenly Sword. Nothing new got added as far as I can tell.

I have a hunch they're stashing some games to relaunch in the coming months to make the service appear active.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

what did everyone think of the sony press confrence this week? the ps3 is real. :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lapf4UpnYA

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Vikar Jerome posted:

what did everyone think of the sony press confrence this week? the ps3 is real. :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lapf4UpnYA

I had to check the time stamp on this post to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

pretty cool. i can play MGS and Final Fantasy 7 and VibRibbon and SOTN which is simply beyond the capabilities of the PS5's processing power

works on my machine OP (Xbox series X, PS3, PSVita)