Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kinda liked MAG..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jak and Daxter Collection (Feb 7 2012) :hmmyes: check's out

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

imagine having to play video games after the fall of civilisation. fighting those tanky blue assholes and not having a message board to complain on :negative:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

imagine having to play video games after the fall of civilisation. fighting those tanky blue assholes and not having a message board to complain on :negative:

did the world end before bioshock infinite was released?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

In the post-apocalypse someone’s going to come across my skeleton surrounded by supplies and a note that says ‘they never should have reduced the titty size of that dark haired chick from bioshock goddamn’

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

In the post-apocalypse someone’s going to come across my skeleton surrounded by supplies and a note that says ‘they never should have reduced the titty size of that dark haired chick from bioshock goddamn’

the quality of immersive storytelling Bethesda could only dream of

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

[decapitated corpse sinking into the terrain bringing the frame rate to single digits] never should have come here

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Vikar Jerome posted:

tlou2 crosses the loving line. i mean seeing a ps3, with plugged in dualshock 3's in some seattles dudes flat. does no one at ND actually know that the dualshock 3 is wireless without the need for constant charging? its battery lasts like, forever, compared to the one you are playing the game with, looking at the forever long lasting battery charges in digital form. i mean... just what where they thinking with this poo poo? 1/10. cannot believe i paid for this poo poo. oh and the loving state of the dude ramming his phat, probably launch, ps3, with full bc with ps1 and ps2; rare collectors dream worth shitloads on ebay in 2037, into such a tiny, cramped entertainment center with no room to breath!? is just loving disgusting. i almost do not want to continue.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

holy poo poo...what if that's not a 60gb model at all...but actually... a 20gb model!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Renegade Ops ruled.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Since I have this 250Gb SSD laying around unused (not even as external storage)... Should I just replace my PS3's 60Gb one with it? I know that the SSD isn't going to make a big difference but right now the 60Gb one is going to be small for the incoming purchases.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Since I have this 250Gb SSD laying around unused (not even as external storage)... Should I just replace my PS3's 60Gb one with it? I know that the SSD isn't going to make a big difference but right now the 60Gb one is going to be small for the incoming purchases.

May as well. 250Gb is still pretty small if you intend to download anything from the store. Some games (GT6) have some pretty big installs. If I recall, you need to use a USB drive formatted to FAT32 or something to install a new drive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I put a 500Gb in recently and it’s nowhere near full. You’d have to own a lot of digital games to fill a 200gb, most PS3 games aren’t that big tbh.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

dog nougat posted:

May as well. 250Gb is still pretty small if you intend to download anything from the store. Some games (GT6) have some pretty big installs. If I recall, you need to use a USB drive formatted to FAT32 or something to install a new drive.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with HDD replacements with my PS4 (1TB SSD) and reinstalling the OS via USB drive. What's the size limitation for internal drives on PS3? Might check for a cheap 500gb or something (toshiba ones usually go for under 30€).

The only digital purchase I have is Demon's Souls and I'll basically just play some physical games I'm getting off Ebay that will be a one and done. Demon's Souls is the only "keeper" as I can uninstall the rest if needed. I think I have a bunch of PS+ games but none of them really interesting.

My Xbox360 has a 320gb HDD (old arcade model with a custom HDD on the awful HDD case they used) and considering that I have dozens of digital games I still have free space.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 28, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Unless you’re running CFW or buying a ton of digital games, you won’t fill a 500Gb so it’s a good size. I’ve installed like every game I own and I still have 200gb left.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not running CFW yet and I want to talk about that but I don't know if this thread is the right place or I should just try on the PS Goon discord instead.

Edit: Just found out that I have MGS4 (November 2020, no idea if PS+ or purchase) just when my physical copy of MGS4 arrived :laffo: Gonna need to check what I have on my download list...

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 28, 2021

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Some deets on PS3 hardware, models and hard drives

Only the "fat" PS3 models will do PS2 backwards compatibility for physical games, and even then only some.

Models CECHA and CECHB have an entire PS2 in them and are 99% compatible. These models are North America and Japan only I believe.
CECHC and CECHE don't have the PS2's emotion chip in them, and are about 85% compatible. So some games don't work or are really glitchy, especially ones that use that chip heavily.
All other models of fat PS3, as well as the slim and super-slim, do not run PS2 disc games at all.

Note that ALL PS3s will do PS1 physical and digital games, and ALL PS3s will do digital PS2 games (with the same compatibility on all of them, they're always forcing software emulation). Also, ALL PS3s will let you load songs in the PS3 version of Singstar from a PS2 version's disc, including the units that won't normally run PS2 disc games.

Regardless of how you do it, physical PS1 and PS2 games respect region locking, unless you specifically get a "test" dev PS3. For digital games there is no enforced region locking so you can do what you want on any PS3, but may need a PAL-compatible TV for PAL games especially if hooked up with analog cables.

All PS3s have dogshit Wi-Fi, avoid if at all possible. It will only connect to 2.4 GHz networks.

PS3 video output is a bit weird because the console doesn't support resolution scaling. Instead, you have to specify in settings which resolutions your display is capable of, and then any game loaded will run at the best resolution you have checked off. For almost all games, the best resolution is 720p and they won't natively do 1080i or 1080p (although some will), so if you have a really old HDTV that will do 480p and 1080i but not 720p most games will look bad, and will look/run better on 360 which can do 720p->1080i upscaling in the console itself.

The PS3 SKU with the smallest hard drive is 12 gigabytes, which will run the disc version of any game except for Destiny. Funnily enough, Activision was mandated to provide some sort of exchange option for Destiny 1 players who mainly played with this SKU due to an expansion blowing past the original required size, although I'm not sure what they did (shipped a hard drive to users, maybe?) The largest hard drive officially sold is 500 gigs. 750 gigs is generally the "maximum" size which still works with the PS3's native backup option, but if you forego that it'll support hard drives up to 1.5tb (2tb drives will still work but only 1.5tb will be recognized). Some games will get minor benefits from faster drives like 7200rpm drives or SSDs, particularly with things like texture streaming and pop-in, but this may increase heat stress on your console so you might not want to bother. For SSDs the PS3 OS doesn't support TRIM so the SSD will eventually get problematic, although it will still work well medium-term if you really want. The benefits from an SSD are minimal, though, because the PS3's encryption slows things way down and the connection speed is therefore severely bottlenecked even on stock 5400rpm drives.

Online gaming

GTA Online on PS3 and 360 is shutting down in December. Note that you're locked out of the platinum as-is because bounties were disabled on the PS3/360 versions (unless you already got this trophy, then you can still waste far too much time getting the plat if you want).

I believe Destiny 1, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, and most if not all Call of Duty games still have working online, but expect this to be short-lived. Other games are a sea of shut down servers, there are probably still a handful that work though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Does the PS3 have a backup option like the PS4 before I do a HDD swap? Just so I can install the new HDD, install the OS via USB, and then plug an external with my backup and restore everything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Does the PS3 have a backup option like the PS4 before I do a HDD swap? Just so I can install the new HDD, install the OS via USB, and then plug an external with my backup and restore everything.

Yes! Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility>Back Up.

I think the drive has to be FAT32. It is extremely slow, I left it running overnight last time I did it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cool ty, I have a bunch of old HDDs I can use for that and I'll only backup Demon's Souls and my settings. Don't mind leaving the thing on some hours.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Guillermus posted:

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5XZRtL3mEg

nice

I wish CFW let you disable HDCP, I keep forgetting to buy a HDCP-stripper so I can use my capture card with the PS3.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 29, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cheers thank you!

Edit: looks like I'll be better just using a LAN cable and re-download Demon's Souls after the HDD swap since it doesn't back up games.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 29, 2021

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I was all set to play Dead Space next on the PS3 but I guess I should wait. I stopped my Mass Effect 1 play through because the remaster was coming and now I have no interest in getting that.

I thought I had Max Payne 3 but I don’t see it anywhere so maybe I need to prof it up and grab that and Mercenaries 2 and maybe Singularity and Wet that I kinda wish I had in the collection

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Space is a reboot by a different dev so there is no reason to avoid playing it imo. It's not going to be the same game. Personally I'd rather play the real game and then check out the cover album afterwards.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think PS3 is the the least optimal way to play the original Dead Space tbh, it worked great on my absolute piece-of-rubbish laptop well over a decade ago and the original trilogy are all backwards compatible on the Xbox. The first two are still excellent

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think PS3 is the the least optimal way to play the original Dead Space tbh, it worked great on my absolute piece-of-rubbish laptop well over a decade ago and the original trilogy are all backwards compatible on the Xbox. The first two are still excellent

PC's probably the best way to play the Dead Space trilogy nowadays, as they just rolled in all the old preorder/special edition DLC for free now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought the Dead Space trilogy on steam to play on my baller gaming laptop with a 144hz monitor and the whole stupid loving thing is locked at 30fps and looks 0% better than the PS3 version without screwing around with mods. It's ridiculous.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I bought the Dead Space trilogy on steam to play on my baller gaming laptop with a 144hz monitor and the whole stupid loving thing is locked at 30fps and looks 0% better than the PS3 version without screwing around with mods. It's ridiculous.

Mouse aiming is going to get hosed if you don't do a few tweaks:

-First off, disable in-game v-sync. Force it through nvidia control panel (or ATI one) so you can play at locked 60fps.

-Mouse fix https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/840-dead-space-mouse-fix/ easy and fast to install. If you are going to play it with a controller on PC you don't need it at all.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Space For some more tweaks if you want.

Dead Space 2 and 3 on PC are good ports and you don't need to change a thing. Maybe tweaking the FoV but if you liked the default one on console, then keep it as it is. 2 and 3 are way better on PC than on consoles (PS360) because of proper 1080p (or higher) resolutions, faster load times and of course mouse aiming.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I wish I liked Dead Space 3 better. I liked the intro iirc

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gun crafting was nuts but drags late on. Dead Space 1 is amazing but some of the QoL and new stuff from 2 put the sequel a bit over the rest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Space 3 would have been good if it hadn't shoe horned basing the whole thing around Co-op. The whole Ice planet thing was good but the game blows to play solo and who the hell wanted DS to be a co-op shooter goddamn.

DS2 is king. Great game. DS1 is decent and 3 sucks but DS2 is an all timer.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played Dead Space 3 co-op with a goon and there were some legit great mind-fucks created for co-op like monsters that only show up for one of the players and so. Co-op is drat fun but yeah, it takes away from 1/2 more horror oriented feel. 2 has the best gameplay of all three.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gonna buy and play all 3 dead space games on the sony playstation 3.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I gave my copy away to one of the homies when he had to quarantine back in April 2020 and haven’t seen it since

:911:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Vikar Jerome posted:

gonna buy and play all 3 dead space games on the sony playstation 3.

You basically need a co-op partner for the third one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

You basically need a co-op partner for the third one.

Yeah, I replayed 3 last year and it is far worse alone than with a partner.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played it solo the first time and some parts are hard as hell and the game feels weirdly empty. After that I played it with a friend. It plays way better with 2 but it also makes the game not spooky and it's hard to pay attention to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just about to set up with CFW and now that I'm actually playing some games, I think I loving hate this controller. The triggers and sticks are dogshit. It is an official DS3.

I’m usually not someone to complain about old controllers since I still use NES/SNES ones. I wish there was a quality 3rd party option that also had the analog buttons.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 7, 2021