Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

Why Should I Watch?

Not only is it one of the marquee events of the Olympics, it is an incredibly challenging sport and the difficulty on display is at all-time highs. You will see the best gymnast of all time looking even better than she did in 2016, plus a slew of gymnasts pushing the sport forward in a variety of ways. We’ve got old gymnasts, young gymnasts, gymnasts that came back out of college, gymnasts with a good chance to win the first-ever medal for their country, gymnasts planning to perform the most difficult skills ever, and more. It’s an exciting time to get into the sport and I want to highlight why it’s so awesome.

When Can I Watch It?

All dates/times are in US Eastern. There will also be replays on stream.nbcolympics.com if you’re in the US and have some kind of TV subscription that carries NBC channels. If you hate NBC's coverage (and who can blame you?) check out the NBC sucks thread for alternatives.

Qualifications:
Session 1 – July 24 9 pm
Session 2 – July 24 10:50 pm
Session 3 – July 25 2:10 am
Session 4 – July 25 4:05 am
Session 5 – July 25 7:20 am

Team Final:
July 27 6:45 am

All-Around Final:
July 29 6:50 am

Vault Final:
August 1 4:55 am

Uneven Bars Final:
August 1 6:27 am

Floor Exercise Final:
August 2 5 am

Balance Beam Final:
August 3 4:48 am

Who Is Competing?

12 teams have qualified:
USA
Russia
China
Japan
Italy
Great Britain
France
Canada
Belgium
Germany
Netherlands
Spain

Plus a whole bunch of countries with gymnasts competing as individuals. You can see the full list of who is competing and what qualification session they are in here (under the Details tab). (In case you’re wondering why Romania is not listed here, for the second Olympics in a row they have not qualified a team, as their program has fallen off drastically in the last 10 years or so and they are sadly a far cry from their world-beating days of old. However, they do have two gymnasts competing as individuals; more on that later.)

Rules to Know

Team vs. individuals: For this Olympics, the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) came up with a weird and overly complex qualification system where countries could qualify a 4-person team to the Olympics as well as up to two gymnasts who can compete as individuals. This means that for some of the countries listed above, you will see 5 or 6 gymnasts competing in the qualification round, but only 4 of those gymnasts will be part of the team final if their country qualifies. The other gymnast(s) from that country will be able to compete in the all-around final and event finals if they qualify, just not the team final. The gymnasts who are not part of the 4-person team will be wearing different leotards in the qualifying round to differentiate them. (If you’re confused, don’t worry; even people who follow gymnastics extremely closely have been at times. So much so that FIG decided well in advance of the Olympics to scrap this system and go back to the normal 5-person team going into 2024. So if you don’t understand it too well at least you’ll never have to see it again.)

The 2-per-country rule: The rules stipulate that only the top two gymnasts from a country can qualify to a final, regardless of where they finish in the overall qualification ranking. So if you’re in the top 8 for an event final but two other gymnasts from your country qualified ahead of you, sucks to be you, you get skipped over for the ninth place qualifier from a different country. This controversial rule means that some very good gymnasts will be sitting out of some event finals because their teammates did just a little better.

Why aren’t the scores out of 10 anymore?: That’s been the case for 15 years, keep up! The final score is a combination of two separate scores. First is the difficulty (D) score: each skill is assigned a point value relative to its difficulty level, and the values of the top 8 most difficult skills in a routine are added together (except vault, which just has one big difficulty score since it’s basically just one skill). Then there is the execution (E) score, which starts at 10 and gets deducted from for errors. So a score might look like this: D 5.9 + E 8.666 = 14.566 final score.

Who to Watch on Each Event

Team Final:

USA: They are so far and away the best team here that anything less than gold is unthinkable and would be an embarrassment for the ages. If you pay attention to sports at all you probably know that the team is led by Simone Biles, the undisputed GOAT of women’s gymnastics. We will basically be basking in Team USA’s greatness during this whole final.

Russia vs. China: The real battle in team final will be for silver vs. bronze, as Russia and China are very close in scoring and it will come down to who has the better day. China has historically been weak on vault but has been trying to boost their difficulty on the event to help their scores, while consistency will be important for Russia in order to beat out China. Either way we should be seeing some nice (if cookie cutter) uneven bars routines from Russia and some super difficult balance beam routines from China.

Japan: They have a decent team and if Russia or China has a meltdown Japan could sneak in for the bronze. They are a team on the rise and it would be cool for them to get a medal as the home country’s team.

All-Around Final:

Simone Biles (USA): Like the US team as a whole, Simone is so far ahead of everyone else that she is basically unbeatable here. She’s never lost an all-around final in her career, and would be the first to repeat as Olympic all-around champion since 1968.

Sunisa Lee (USA): With the 2-per-country rule, only one other US gymnast can qualify to the all-around final, and I think she is the frontrunner for that spot. If she makes it, she will be the frontrunner for silver as well. However, if she has mistakes in qualifying, any of the other 4 US gymnasts is capable of edging her out for this spot.

Rebeca Andrade (BRA): A very talented gymnast who has had a terrible run of injuries (3 ACL tears in her career), she is strong on every event and is in amazing form right now. Hopefully her perseverance will pay off for her here. Look for her to make some event finals as well.

Angelina Melnikova (RUS): She is a second-time Olympian who is much improved from 2016. She will have some competition in qualifications from her teammates, but she bagged a bunch of medals at European Championships earlier this year so she is a strong contender for an all-around medal.

Mai Murakami (JPN): She is the anchor of Japan’s team and kicks rear end on floor, and has a World Championships all-around silver under her belt. She will be in the hunt for a bronze here.

Ellie Black (CAN): Considered Canada’s best-ever gymnast, she’s has a good amount of success, including a World Championships all-around silver in 2017. She’s a consistent and well-rounded gymnast who can make some noise in the all-around final.

Melanie de Jesus Dos Santos (FRA): She’s become France’s It Girl in gymnastics and is in the mix to make every event final. Has issues with inconsistency at times, but does a lot of exciting stuff.

Vault:

Simone Biles (USA): She dominates on this event, even without her newly famous, insanely hard double pike vault. (She has said that she will not do this vault in event finals because for some idiotic reason the gymnasts are not allowed to warm up on the apparatus in event finals, and she doesn’t feel comfortable doing it without a warmup.) Would be a major upset if she did not get gold here.

Jade Carey vs. MyKayla Skinner (USA): The 2-per-country rule rears its ugly head once again as both of them will be fighting for one spot. Both of them are in the individual spots mentioned above, so they will not be going home with the almost-guaranteed team gold, meaning that making event finals is that much more important for them. And THEN, complicating things further, they both do the same two vaults, so their difficulty scores are identical, and they are often very close in execution. It will come down to minute details as to who makes this final, and whoever does will be the frontrunner for silver.

Oksana Chusovitina (UZB): Gymnastics’ iron woman, she is 46 and competing in her eighth and final Olympics. She has long been a standout on vault, winning an Olympic silver at 33 which was already old as hell by gymnastics standards. The competition for bronze will be tough here, but I wouldn’t count her out.

Alexa Moreno (MEX): She earned a World Championships bronze in 2018 and missed the podium by a small margin in 2019, so she is definitely in the mix for bronze here too. I like watching her because she runs for the vault like she’s the T-1000.

Giulia Steingruber (SUI): She is the defending Olympic bronze medalist on vault, and I believe she was the first gymnast whose country did not qualify a team to the Olympics to win a medal. She’s maintained her form since then, so she’s another strong contender for bronze.

Yeo Seo-jeong (KOR): I’m shouting her out here because she has a vault named after her that I think is super cool to watch, and also happens to be one of the hardest in gymnastics. I think she is planning to compete it at the Olympics, which would put her in the running for a medal if all goes well.

Uneven Bars:

Nina Derwael (BEL): She has won gold on this event at the last two World Championships, so she’ll be looking to keep her streak going here. At 5’7”, she looks like a giant compared to most of the other shorty gymnasts, and her height gives her a unique style on bars.

Sunisa Lee (USA): She and Nina will be in a tough fight for gold vs. silver, as they are both extremely skilled on this event. Sunisa has shown a lot of difficulty in her routine this year, including some extremely hard connections that to my knowledge no one has done before. Getting all of those connections right will be key for her to beat out Nina.

Fan Yilin (CHN): One of China’s gymnasts who is competing as an individual, bars is her standout event. She is just below Nina and Sunisa in difficulty and could maybe even sneak in for silver if one of them has a bad day.

Basically all of the Russians: Retired Russian gymnast Aliya Mustafina won the last two Olympic golds in this event, and her legacy is that Russia has basically copied and pasted her routine for their current gymnasts. Angelina Melnikova, Viktoria Listunova, Vladislava Urazova, and Anastasia Iliankova are all capable of medaling here, it will just be a matter of who can top who in qualifications, as they all score nearly identically to each other.

Elisabeth Seitz (GER): A perennial contender on bars, she's consistent and does a lot of big release skills off the high bar. She's come close to an Olympic medal in the past and could maybe get bronze if she's on and others are off.

Balance Beam:

Simone Biles (USA): She is the favorite for gold here too, but unlike every other event final she is not unbeatable here. It was a bit of a shock when she faltered in Rio and dropped to bronze, so this is probably the gold she wants most of all this time around. She’s more consistent on beam than she was in 2016, so she can certainly pull out a gold, but balance beam is the most unpredictable event so anything can happen.

Basically all of the Chinese: China has a whopping five gymnasts with medal-worthy beam routines, but once again only two will make it to beam final. Ou Yushan and Guan Chenchen do have a slight edge over the other three (Lu Yufei, Zhang Yin, and Tang Xijing). However, the Chinese gymnasts’ routines rely heavily on connecting skills to increase their difficulty score, and when you’re on a 4-inch wide beam with the world watching you it’s easy to wobble and miss those connections, dropping your score way down. So consistency will be a factor in which two reach the final, and the two that do will be strong medal contenders.

Flavia Saraiva (BRA): She is known for her great combination of difficulty and execution on this event, with textbook-perfect ring leaps and very nice artistry. Her only issue is inconsistency, but when she’s on she is so nice to watch.

Sanne Wevers (NED): The defending Olympic gold medalist, Sanne surprised in Rio to earn the Netherlands' first individual medal in women's gymnastics. She does a much different routine than most of the field, focusing on difficult turns rather than a lot of acrobatic skills. Sanne hasn't been near her 2016 form recently so it's unlikely that she'll medal, but her routine will be interesting to watch nonetheless.

Larisa Iordache (ROU): She is probably the unluckiest gymnast in the history of the sport. She made the Olympics as part of the Romanian team in 2012 and picked up a team bronze, but an injury limited her in the individual events, where she was expected to contend for medals. After Romania failed to qualify a team in 2016, she missed out on the Olympics altogether when Romania opted to send Catalina Ponor in the one spot available to them. Then in 2017 she tore her Achilles at the World Championships; she needed three surgeries and was told that she only had a 50% chance of being able to do gymnastics again. She was able to return to training in 2019 and started preparing for Tokyo. She had a bout of COVID in late 2020 that interrupted her training, then had to compete while suffering from a kidney infection at the European Championships this year, as that was her last chance to qualify for the Olympics. Then last month her mother died of cancer. So after all that, she’s in Tokyo, only to announce that she will not be able to compete the all-around due to ankle pain and will only be doing beam. I don’t know who she pissed off in a past life because drat. She has a very nice beam routine with high difficulty and if she can keep it together there she might be able to medal, and I really hope she does.

Floor Exercise:

Simone Biles (USA): Another event where she dominates, even more so than vault due to the differences in scoring potential. If you want to understand why she’s the greatest of all time this event probably demonstrates it best: extremely difficult tumbling executed very well all the time. She tends to bounce out of bounds because she has too much power, but those minor deductions will not be an issue.

Jade Carey (USA): This is where things could get a little interesting IMO. Jade has spectacular tumbling passes, very hard stuff that she makes look easy. She has been teasing a new skill, a triple twisting double layout that if she is able to do will be the hardest skill in gymnastics period, even harder than anything Simone does. So, if she can do that skill (big if because it’s so hard that it’s actually kind of dangerous) and everything goes well with the rest of her routine, could she have enough difficulty to upset Simone for gold? The chances are small but it makes me wonder.

Mai Murakami (JPN): She’s won a World Championships gold and silver on this event in the last few years, so she will be right in the thick of it for a medal. Great tumbling, nice turn skills and a fun routine to watch.

Vanessa Ferrari (ITA): This is her fourth Olympics, and she finished in fourth place in the last two floor exercise finals, so she is determined to finally get a medal on her best event. At 30 years old she’s still bringing the goods.

Angelina Melnikova (RUS): She’s racked up a bunch of medals on floor in recent years, including the most recent World Championships bronze, and she looks to be in good form to continue that success here.

Eythora Thorsdottir (NED): She does not have the most difficult routine so it will be a challenge for her to make the finals, but if there was a medal for artistic expression she’d probably win it. She has unique and interesting choreography, and she even recorded the vocals for her own floor music.

Future Wax fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Thank you very much for this effort OP. I love women's gymnastics and have since I was a little girl during the 1996 Atlanta games, but I don't really follow it and just dive in every year not knowing much beyond the heavy hitters like Biles and, of course, the internal refrain of every American during the Olympics which is USA! USA! USA for three weeks straight.

Surprised to see The Netherlands up there in the team category, I hope they and USA do well cause my husband is Dutch and so rarely do the Dutch and Americans square off in international sports.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

are they allowed to wear pants?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Been really into gymnastics since Athens. Something I find pretty interesting is that this years US team is the oldest I can recall. It must be the oldest ever. In both 08 and 12 Nastia and Aly were the oldest on the team at just 18. But this year the youngest woman is 18. Simone is 24 and is likely gonna put on history’s greatest performance. I like that maybe the old philosophy of Womens gymnasts reaching their prime at 16 and some countries sneaking 13 year olds in and it being so painfully obvious might be obsolete.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 24, 2021

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

Frances Nurples posted:

are they allowed to wear pants?

They are, though it's not really been the done thing until recently. Germany has been trying to promote the option this year; here's what they wore at podium training:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Been really into gymnastics since Athens. Something I find pretty interesting is that this years US team is the oldest I can recall. It must be the oldest ever. In both 08 and 12 Nastia and Aly were the oldest on the team at just 18. But this year the youngest woman is 18. Simone is 24 and is likely gonna put on history’s greatest performance. I like that maybe the old philosophy of Womens gymnasts reaching their prime at 16 and some countries sneaking 13 year olds in and it being so painfully obvious might be obsolete.

I think the change to an open-ended scoring system was the best thing that ever happened to the sport, as it's allowed gymnasts of a variety of ages and body types to have success. That combined with a recent reckoning over how gymnasts are coached means that this is just the beginning of a trend of gymnasts having more longevity in the sport and not being pushed to retire when they reach drinking age.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Future Wax posted:

They are, though it's not really been the done thing until recently. Germany has been trying to promote the option this year; here's what they wore at podium training:

I think the change to an open-ended scoring system was the best thing that ever happened to the sport, as it's allowed gymnasts of a variety of ages and body types to have success. That combined with a recent reckoning over how gymnasts are coached means that this is just the beginning of a trend of gymnasts having more longevity in the sport and not being pushed to retire when they reach drinking age.

This is awesome because it SUCKED that forever women had one MAYBE two Olympic windows to compete in at an elite level depending if their birth years happened to coincide with the Olympic cycles so that you were 16/17 in the first and 20/21 in the second. While meanwhile men can compete at an elite level through their late teens and 20s and make 3 or 4 games. That was always unfair bullshit that I can only guess the reasons why as I’m not familiar with sports Physiology.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is awesome because it SUCKED that forever women had one MAYBE two Olympic windows to compete in at an elite level depending if their birth years happened to coincide with the Olympic cycles so that you were 16/17 in the first and 20/21 in the second. While meanwhile men can compete at an elite level through their late teens and 20s and make 3 or 4 games. That was always unfair bullshit that I can only guess the reasons why as I’m not familiar with sports Physiology.

A lot of it comes down to physics and the changes women undergo during puberty. Power-to-mass ratio matters a lot in gymnastics (and any other sport where you're launching yourself into the air, like figure skating), and women just naturally have a higher body fat % which messes with that. The ability to rotate tightly matters a lot in twisting moves as well, and that's generated with the shoulders so if you go through puberty and suddenly you have hips wider than your shoulders, oopsie guess that triple twisting layout/triple lutz/back scale pirouette 1 1/2 is gone! The ideal body for any kind of twisting is basically wide, powerful shoulders, triangular chest, and then everything tapering downward. For flipping, size and mass in general are what is important, and fat (including boobs) is basically dead mass that dudes don't have to contend with. Guys also scale better with height than women do, although of course for both sexes it's best to remain short and compact.

Some of this can be compensated for with the right body type and athletic ability, but TL;DR puberty only helps men, it's a mixed bag for women. There's also mental factors. A lot of people will need to relearn technique to fit their new bodies, or in some cases really learn any technique to speak of at all. That can be very discouraging and emotionally fraught, and very many gymnastics coaches are not particularly nice people. Plus the ability to pick up new skills in and of itself is a skill that probably also has some genetic traits in the mix; some people are just better at it than others. A lot of coaches will not really expend the effort to see what's possible for an athlete who has had those kind of setbacks, because they have an endless stream of up-and-coming juniors that they can just hope the next one to do well before puberty makes it through unscathed. Wins at a high level are big financial incentives for coaches in countries that don't subsidize their athletes, most coaches also own their gyms and use their big name athletes to lure in the much more lucrative end of the business, whether it's mommy-and-me classes or girls who are looking to make it to the NCAA and get scholarships.

Future Wax posted:

A thousand times this. Some of the skills we're seeing on floor just prove how absolutely lazy the coaches were all along, and it makes me so angry, especially the food stuff. Little girls starving themselves and not drinking water during meets for the sake of, like double pikes and paks and DTYs.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

You wouldn’t see a body like Simone or the rest of this years US womens olympic team competing in the Olympics decades ago and it’s hardly because that wasn’t physically possible. They’re far less traditionally feminine and petite and more comic book badasses. So if the prime age of women’s gymnasts can shift closer to 20 due to this I’m all for it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
theres no thread for the Mens Gymnastics so i'll ask here - how can you tell who looks good in the pommel horse? its really physically impressive but all routines look the same to a near identical degree and the apparatus itself doesn't lend itself to creativity

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Lid posted:

theres no thread for the Mens Gymnastics so i'll ask here - how can you tell who looks good in the pommel horse? its really physically impressive but all routines look the same to a near identical degree and the apparatus itself doesn't lend itself to creativity

Not a huge MAG fan, but from what I can tell just watching who gets scored well/who gets dinged:
- The same general "lines" you look for in any sport that has some of it's DNA in ballet and classical dance (ie, what separates tumbling in gymnastics from acrobatics or worse, cheer). Full extension of the limbs, ideally pointed through the toes. Legs locked together in non-straddle elements, moving as a unit with no separation.
- Quick pace and solid rhythm in the "swinging" parts, where they're just twirling themselves around.
- Smooth transfer of weight when they're switching from hand-to-hand.
- Efficient and controlled use of momentum, not just muscling everything through raw power. Like all those moves where they basically swing themselves up into and through a handstand, it's supposed to be one smooth motion that would make a nice linear graph if you mapped it out. For the ones where they stop, they're also supposed to come to a dead stop right as they hit the peak of the handstand. I've never quite understood why people compare it to beam except for that they both require mental focus; to me it seems a lot more like uneven bars.

Like gymnastics as a whole is basically "how to make your entire body the most elegant machine for defying the laws of physics possible". Power, but power under complete control. There's actually a lot of crazy Enlightenment-era philosophy if you trace everything backwards through it's historical development, a lot of Vitruvian Man poo poo.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Team USA gonna go toe to toe with the Chinese like Hockey against the Soviets during the Cold War

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

A former student of mine is on the US team this year and I’m ridiculously excited. :swoon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell yeah, gymnastics is always my fave part of the Olympics so in lieu of GB having any decent women I'll be watching Simone Biles in awe

And with no men's gymnastics thread I'll say a big drat oof at Kohei Uchimura's fall, that's absolutely gutting

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Biles is insanely good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rarity posted:

And with no men's gymnastics thread I'll say a big drat oof at Kohei Uchimura's fall, that's absolutely gutting

Yeah I watched that clip and couldn't finish it, watching him pull off those perfect moves and then.... fall. Jesus.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
King kohei fell on a pirouette

Nooooooooooooo

I'm so sad he is the loving best and I believed he could do it one last time. Last time I remember him loving up was on pommel at the end of all arounds in London where Japan had to challenge he made it to the handstand and could get the skill points

I guess I'll tune in to watch Michulak be a head case like always and see if the men's team finally figured out how to actually pick people who can medal

re: men's gymnastics scoring - the easier they make it look the better they're doing it. If you ever see anything bend they're losing their momentum transfer and making up for it with muscle, which you don't want to do since you'll be exhausted or straight up fail the skill.

One simple way to remember: they're resting when doing handstands on parallel bars. Normal people are fighting tooth and nail not to fall, elite gymnasts are so locked in they aren't even fighting to stay up

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 25, 2021

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is commentary usually better/more interesting on OBS streams or the NBC commentators?

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

So far the NBC stream commentators seem good, I think it's the primetime ones that will be annoying. I haven't tried any other sources yes.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Watching the first rotation of quals and wow, the difference in ability/difficulty between the top teams and the others is huge. Like watching the feed with Japan and Italy simultaneously it's pretty clear who is going to the finals.

also I am so spoiled by Biles that I'm watching women do vaults I could never even begin to do in my wildest dreams and I'm like "eh, seen better"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The change in scoring absolutely separated the haves and have nots, both in talent and coaching but especially in being able to have equipment to push the envelope without injuring everyone. Some friends of mine have trained in the gyms that Olympians use in the countries like Italy and it was awful equipment with 8 foot ceilings over the beam, landing on just a simple mat over a hard floor, crap like that

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

how can i watch? nbc is showing swimming rn, which i also love, but my two favorite olympics are currently in conflict...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Frances Nurples posted:

how can i watch? nbc is showing swimming rn, which i also love, but my two favorite olympics are currently in conflict...

NBC Olympics website has all the feeds, I'm watching the multi-apparatus feed https://stream.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics-womens-qualification-subdivision-1-apparatus-feed

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

NBC Olympics website has all the feeds, I'm watching the multi-apparatus feed https://stream.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics-womens-qualification-subdivision-1-apparatus-feed

huge thanks!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
nbcolympics has the full stream of gymnastics with no commentary

e: got distracted by skateboarding

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Simone Biles on session 3 gymnastics right now, and: okay, so that's what "the best gymnastics on Earth" looks like. Now I get it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Floor scores for USA are loooow wow

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Jade Carey almost certainly made the floor final. Good for her.

I hope Skinner gets through on vault.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Youth Decay posted:

Floor scores for USA are loooow wow

What sort of scores would we expect from them normally?

Edit: That second vault from Simone, jesus christ

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Kestral posted:

What sort of scores would we expect from them normally?

Edit: That second vault from Simone, jesus christ

and she looks kinda bored

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zoran posted:

I hope Skinner gets through on vault.

Well, Carey crushed it, so Skinner almost certainly goes home with no chance to compete for a medal. Really sucks for her.

e: it's also really funny that Skinner beat three of the actual team members in two events

e2: results after this subdivision make the US team selection look very foolish

Zoran fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 25, 2021

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Yeah we really need to go hard in team finals

now gonna stay up like the degenerate I am to watch Chusovitina's final bow

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
putting the fun in dysfunctional
Getting caught up (watching from Europe, should have set an alarm to get up earlier), what happened with the Qual team scores that put the US at number 2?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jaylynne posted:

Getting caught up (watching from Europe, should have set an alarm to get up earlier), what happened with the Qual team scores that put the US at number 2?

Simone Biles underperformed

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

jaylynne posted:

We kinda sucked. Jordan in particular had a really bad beam routine (11.500) that probably made the difference between 1st and 2nd.

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
Dang. Hope they got it out of their systems. Need to figure out how to catch a replay after the rest of the competition today is over.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

CHUSO TIME

(she's the last to go in vault this rotation)

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
Oksana ❤️ What an inspiration.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Sad that Chuso didn't get into the finals, but she hit both her vaults, just didn't quite have the difficulty of the top 8. Considering how far the sport has advanced in the past 35 years her continuing to excel at the highest level is truly extraordinary.

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
Germany’s unitards are awesome. Looks like Seitz is in the event finals for bars. Edit: MAYBE. This is tight!

jaylynne fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
BBC just caught up highlights of the first batch of today's gymnastics and Jessica Gadirova's floor routine was real fun :)

e: Wait there's two Gadirovas and they're identical twins this is very confusing