Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk the hoop stuff seems pretty impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

That's been a complaint of rhythm gymnastics and synchronized swimming since they were introduced in 1984.

I'm not going to weigh in on it, but I will say synchronized swimming is hard as gently caress and takes a lot of coordination and strength. But then again so does high level ballroom dancing and that's not an Olympic sport.

Ultimately, I don't care and I just don't watch them. If it lets someone somewhere fulfill a dream of going to the Olympics then what's the harm?

Synchronized swimming is nuts. I have no loving clue how they do it. One of things they make look simple as hell, swimming upside down with their legs in the air, is a mind-boggling feat.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Proteus Jones posted:

That's been a complaint of rhythm gymnastics and synchronized swimming since they were introduced in 1984.

I do think it's interesting that the two sports that get mocked the most are the same two sports that are women-only

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rarity posted:

I do think it's interesting that the two sports that get mocked the most are the same two sports that are women-only

Yeah, that hasn't escaped my attention either.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rarity posted:

Race walk and dressage?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bip Roberts posted:

Race walk and dressage?

Greco-Roman Hugging and 50k Stroll Cheating.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

PostNouveau posted:

Turned this team rythmic gymnastics on at halftime of the basketball game and what in the gently caress? Do these medals count the same as the rest of the Olympics? This is like street busker level crap. Like, not super entertaining buskers either.

if you had a time machine and brought gymnastics experts from 100 years ago to the modern day, they would probably tell you that our rhythmic gymnastics is cool and good, and our regular gymnastics has become a crass gimmick of who can flip and spin the most

https://youtu.be/IW4VTuAdsjA

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if you had a time machine and brought gymnastics experts from 100 years ago to the modern day, they would probably tell you that our rhythmic gymnastics is cool and good, and our regular gymnastics has become a crass gimmick of who can flip and spin the most

the vault is incredible

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The uneven bars is basically a completely different event, an interesting one tbh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

OK but they thought this was a good competition so why should I care what they think?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

are you really this dense

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

They'd also probably ask why all the brown people are allowed in the Olympics too. Don't really care what people from a hundred years ago think

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They'd also probably ask why all the brown people are allowed in the Olympics too. Don't really care what people from a hundred years ago think

if you can't appreciate how sports are political, and go through cycles where there are differences in opinion about what is considered fashionable enough or impressive enough to be included at the olympics, i really don't know what else to say other than "ok chud". i genuinely don't know what other word to use for someone who defends the goonsay-level outburst of "why is rhythmic gymnastics even in the olympics" by invoking the equally mouthbreather-level thesis of "i don't give a poo poo what people from 100 years ago would think"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if you can't appreciate how sports are political, and go through cycles where there are differences in opinion about what is considered fashionable enough or impressive enough to be included at the olympics, i really don't know what else to say other than "ok chud". i genuinely don't know what other word to use for someone who defends the goonsay-level outburst of "why is rhythmic gymnastics even in the olympics" by invoking the equally mouthbreather-level thesis of "i don't give a poo poo what people from 100 years ago would think"

Guess we're in the middle of a two hundred year cycle. Hopefully by 2100 people twirling ribbons and throwing rubber balls in the air will be considered among the pinnacle of human excellence again by the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They showed the winning team routine for the rhythmic gymnastics on BBC and it was ridiculous the things they were pulling off so I think anyone who says it doesn't belong in the Olympics need to prove they can also flawlessly juggle multiple hoops between enough people to form a pop band