Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is awesome because it SUCKED that forever women had one MAYBE two Olympic windows to compete in at an elite level depending if their birth years happened to coincide with the Olympic cycles so that you were 16/17 in the first and 20/21 in the second. While meanwhile men can compete at an elite level through their late teens and 20s and make 3 or 4 games. That was always unfair bullshit that I can only guess the reasons why as I’m not familiar with sports Physiology.

A lot of it comes down to physics and the changes women undergo during puberty. Power-to-mass ratio matters a lot in gymnastics (and any other sport where you're launching yourself into the air, like figure skating), and women just naturally have a higher body fat % which messes with that. The ability to rotate tightly matters a lot in twisting moves as well, and that's generated with the shoulders so if you go through puberty and suddenly you have hips wider than your shoulders, oopsie guess that triple twisting layout/triple lutz/back scale pirouette 1 1/2 is gone! The ideal body for any kind of twisting is basically wide, powerful shoulders, triangular chest, and then everything tapering downward. For flipping, size and mass in general are what is important, and fat (including boobs) is basically dead mass that dudes don't have to contend with. Guys also scale better with height than women do, although of course for both sexes it's best to remain short and compact.

Some of this can be compensated for with the right body type and athletic ability, but TL;DR puberty only helps men, it's a mixed bag for women. There's also mental factors. A lot of people will need to relearn technique to fit their new bodies, or in some cases really learn any technique to speak of at all. That can be very discouraging and emotionally fraught, and very many gymnastics coaches are not particularly nice people. Plus the ability to pick up new skills in and of itself is a skill that probably also has some genetic traits in the mix; some people are just better at it than others. A lot of coaches will not really expend the effort to see what's possible for an athlete who has had those kind of setbacks, because they have an endless stream of up-and-coming juniors that they can just hope the next one to do well before puberty makes it through unscathed. Wins at a high level are big financial incentives for coaches in countries that don't subsidize their athletes, most coaches also own their gyms and use their big name athletes to lure in the much more lucrative end of the business, whether it's mommy-and-me classes or girls who are looking to make it to the NCAA and get scholarships.

Future Wax posted:

I think the change to an open-ended scoring system was the best thing that ever happened to the sport, as it's allowed gymnasts of a variety of ages and body types to have success. That combined with a recent reckoning over how gymnasts are coached means that this is just the beginning of a trend of gymnasts having more longevity in the sport and not being pushed to retire when they reach drinking age.

A thousand times this. Some of the skills we're seeing on floor just prove how absolutely lazy the coaches were all along, and it makes me so angry, especially the food stuff. Little girls starving themselves and not drinking water during meets for the sake of, like double pikes and paks and DTYs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Lid posted:

theres no thread for the Mens Gymnastics so i'll ask here - how can you tell who looks good in the pommel horse? its really physically impressive but all routines look the same to a near identical degree and the apparatus itself doesn't lend itself to creativity

Not a huge MAG fan, but from what I can tell just watching who gets scored well/who gets dinged:
- The same general "lines" you look for in any sport that has some of it's DNA in ballet and classical dance (ie, what separates tumbling in gymnastics from acrobatics or worse, cheer). Full extension of the limbs, ideally pointed through the toes. Legs locked together in non-straddle elements, moving as a unit with no separation.
- Quick pace and solid rhythm in the "swinging" parts, where they're just twirling themselves around.
- Smooth transfer of weight when they're switching from hand-to-hand.
- Efficient and controlled use of momentum, not just muscling everything through raw power. Like all those moves where they basically swing themselves up into and through a handstand, it's supposed to be one smooth motion that would make a nice linear graph if you mapped it out. For the ones where they stop, they're also supposed to come to a dead stop right as they hit the peak of the handstand. I've never quite understood why people compare it to beam except for that they both require mental focus; to me it seems a lot more like uneven bars.

Like gymnastics as a whole is basically "how to make your entire body the most elegant machine for defying the laws of physics possible". Power, but power under complete control. There's actually a lot of crazy Enlightenment-era philosophy if you trace everything backwards through it's historical development, a lot of Vitruvian Man poo poo.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
They used to do that with Khorkina too. It was like 50% "so long such lines so Russian so toe point S T U N N I N G", 50% "zomg she's so tall even with the bars set at max distance she still whacks her toes".

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
It was a double tie-breaker, apparently? The commenters were saying they tied on execution, and then moved to difficulty which you'd think would be the same if they actually got the same score.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
I really like Olsen's leo, but I like bc it's basically an ice dance costume.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 1, 2021

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
7.0 difficulty dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
I didn't see the start, am I correct in assuming from the score Jade didn't do the layout triple-double she'd been teasing?