Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
We all get to listen to Bach’s over length speech again inshallah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Japan with the covid model drone performance

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO they made all those people get haircuts like Toad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The drones are very cool

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm always shocked when something mainstream busts out "Imagine"

Stateless atheistic anarchy for all

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I think it starts getting better after this. What I think is japans IOC speech is short, go do any sort of errand during Bach’s and then it all finishes really strong.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Are they going to play this whole thing, you'd think now that they know it is long and boring they'd just do highlights.

Edit: spoke too soon

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I guess they cut it way down, then? That was fine.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Yeah they edited it like crazy thankfully. Lame they cut Japans IOC speech….and did they cut the emperor’s “speech”?

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Ok yeah its all primo from here on out so grab your kid or whatever.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What is this

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
That ruled.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
That was adorable. I had a smile the entire time.

Also lol this guy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That's the best thing I ever loving saw

it should be a mandatory section of the opening ceremonies from now on

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I feel like they cut a whole Evangelion/Mech thing?

I just want to say thanks again it was fun rewatching with new people and I had a good time time during a very stressful week.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 24, 2021

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
It was definitely a little subdued, but I guess it had to be. The ending bit was gold though, and picking Osaka to light the torch was a nice little gently caress you to conservatives, racists, and assholes.

I was definitely expecting gundams or godzilla or something more bombastic but apparently they really had to cut a lot of stuff.

Overall enjoyable. Now lets get through this without making a superspreader event, win some medals for our respective countries, and have some fun.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I liked it. I like the pageantry of the Olympics, and no amount of internet cynicism will ever ruin it.

e: Pictogram guy was the highlight.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 24, 2021

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Agreed I liked this ceremony. Anime and video games and godzilla would have been fun, but there's no way you can just ignore the impact of Covid on the Olympics and all the deaths worldwide. Starting with a social distancing piece seemed appropriate. But the second half levity was definitely needed too. Pictogram was like a warioware mini game, and I will be looking for more vids of that pianist. Overall I think it struck a nice balance.

Also everyone knows Japan for their anime and such already, so maybe it was more interesting to do some of those pieces like in the second half.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I didn’t watch after the parade of nations did it get good

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I didn’t watch after the parade of nations did it get good

The post parade half was definitely the better one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’ll figure out a way to eventually watch it that isn’t

VPN to BBC player > airdrop to Apple TV > everything is in a resolution so low you can’t make out faces

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just got done watching it - surprised Hakuho didn't pop up in it after all the noise made about him wanting to represent Japan somehow in the games before he retired, but perhaps those were all rumors. Or he'll make it into the closing ceremony.

Hiromi Uehara is a beast on piano and I absolutely recommend snagging one of her albums - the live one she cut with Chick Corea was fantastic, but my personal favorite is probably Brain (2004)

per the NYT, the piece she was going off on was this, which I hadn't heard previously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9M0lIAIMOM

I had no idea that the pictograms originally came from the `64 games, that was a cool thing to learn

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Apparently the pictogram thing was cut down in a few different ways -- first, there was video of the drones also making the pictograms and I'm not sure if that just wasn't shown on TV, or also was cut.

But according to reports there were supposed to be a lot more dancers/actors to do the pictographs, but due to cuts it was the small group of people. Honestly, that made it a LOT better -- the scramble to shift into the different icons was fun, even if there was a botch or two.

Here it is in all its glory, apologies if it's region locked

https://twitter.com/gorinjp/status/1418617234092486660?s=20

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

hexwren posted:

Just got done watching it - surprised Hakuho didn't pop up in it after all the noise made about him wanting to represent Japan somehow in the games before he retired, but perhaps those were all rumors. Or he'll make it into the closing ceremony.

Hakuho will show up at random events to throw salt everywhere, then yorikiri whoever takes the gold medal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

harperdc posted:

Apparently the pictogram thing was cut down in a few different ways -- first, there was video of the drones also making the pictograms and I'm not sure if that just wasn't shown on TV, or also was cut.

But according to reports there were supposed to be a lot more dancers/actors to do the pictographs, but due to cuts it was the small group of people. Honestly, that made it a LOT better -- the scramble to shift into the different icons was fun, even if there was a botch or two.

It is indeed region locked for me.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

harperdc posted:

For those in the US, NBC put it up on youtube. Absolutely worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9OyYA-bAM

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

By the way, the group who did the pictogram act is Dance & Mime Company Gabez:
https://twitter.com/GABEZ_GABEZ/status/1418600552988962816

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teddybear posted:

For those in the US, NBC put it up on youtube. Absolutely worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9OyYA-bAM

Okay, that was awesome.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Doesn't the closing ceremony have some fun to it? Or is it just putting out the torch, speeches, and the announcement of who gets to host in 2032 or whatever the year is?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Friend posted:

Doesn't the closing ceremony have some fun to it? Or is it just putting out the torch, speeches, and the announcement of who gets to host in 2032 or whatever the year is?

They do a segment previewing the next games, so presumably they'll have Macron enter as this guy, in the same vein as Abe dressed as Mario:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Friend posted:

They already announced that 2032 is going to be in Brisbane, Queensland a few days back, which was expected, because they're the only place that bid for it. Usually they do some artistic stuff. I'm holding out hope that they have Hakuho do a dohyo-iri to open it up-- it seems like a huge bummer to have a Tokyo olympics without bringing in the greatest sumo wrestler of all time in some way.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

hexwren posted:

Hiromi Uehara is a beast on piano and I absolutely recommend snagging one of her albums - the live one she cut with Chick Corea was fantastic, but my personal favorite is probably Brain (2004)

per the NYT, the piece she was going off on was this, which I hadn't heard previously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9M0lIAIMOM

I had no idea that the pictograms originally came from the `64 games, that was a cool thing to learn

my 9 year old hasn't stopped listening to Hiromi since the ceremony

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Friend posted:

Closing ceremony is traditionally has a looser "hooray good job everyone" party vibe to it, but who knows this year.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Sometimes a mime comes out and fixes the cauldron if it broke.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Me: drat, I wish there was a 4K broadcast of the opening ceremony to watch, as I'm sure that'd look super
The Internet: Sorry no, but here's an 8K 22 channel ATMOS one instead weighing in at 140gb

My computer wept at the concept of even trying to play it back.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

Me: drat, I wish there was a 4K broadcast of the opening ceremony to watch, as I'm sure that'd look super
The Internet: Sorry no, but here's an 8K 22 channel ATMOS one instead weighing in at 140gb

My computer wept at the concept of even trying to play it back.

I would actually love to see that, having my pc melt is one of my hobbies after all (our national broadcaster only did 4K on satellite rather than going 8k as promised).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's a random thumbnail, I had to find a site that would allow the full 8K screenshot at 30MB. Full thing here - https://imgpile.com/i/NAR9Xj

By looking at that screenshot, you get the exact same experience as I do watching the video.

(e: oh wow that's a very thumbnaily thumbnail, I was expecting something a bit more in between 100px and 8000px)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's a random thumbnail, I had to find a site that would allow the full 8K screenshot at 30MB. Full thing here - https://imgpile.com/i/NAR9Xj

By looking at that screenshot, you get the exact same experience as I do watching the video.

(e: oh wow that's a very thumbnaily thumbnail, I was expecting something a bit more in between 100px and 8000px)

That’s actually very impressive compared to the super compressed Eurosport feed which macroblocked quite a bit on that dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Bumping this to note that the closing ceremony is about to start, and I started a thread for it if you wanna talk about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975885