Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

BlindSite posted:

You'd have to think if he hits his first easily and feels good and locks up the gold he'll swing for the fences.

As mentioned, there is often a monetary incentive not to swing for the fences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A good demonstration just how much power these people produce lol.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

dex_sda posted:

I dunno. We all want to see it, but the pressout calls are very tight these olympics. Combine with the fact that it's usually the right play for the lifter to inch the WR up (because each broken WR is a stipend from the country - this is why Shi Zhiyong doesn't go out and lift 175-205 which he is probably capable of doing, if he continues inching it up uncontested for the remainder of his career he will be a multimillionaire) I would not be surprised to see him go conservative.

y'know, this is a good point.

also that poor Czech dude blowing himself off the platform

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dex_sda posted:

As mentioned, there is often a monetary incentive not to swing for the fences.

Im living in hope lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

265 let's go ya beast.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lmfao final countdown

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GOD

drat

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Still a great showing

and of course NBC decides to kick it to commercials before his third lift. Just came back to him walking up to the bar. Cutting it a little close

goddamnit I love you Lasha

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Unbelievable lifting by Talakhadze.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

With all the olympic lifting concluded, I hope you've enjoyed watching this wonderful sport! Here are a few great sessions from the past, this time from the men's side:

Ilya Ilyin, the greatest Kazach lifter and one of the greatest lifters of all time, bulks up to a higher weight category on a vegan diet, and enters a contest against Ruslan Nurudinov from Uzbekistan and David Bedzanyan from Russia. The result is the best weightlifting competition of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R_ZP7y85DM
Posted already, but never gets old. China's Lu Xiaojun, 35 years old at the time, enters a fight with a pretender to his throne, Li Dayin. And injures himself before the clean and jerk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nfA8rAfHSI

And if this encourages you to do something yourself, remember that SA has an awesome forum for people looking to get in shape: You Look Like poo poo. That's where I've started my personal fitness journey, and I'm in the best shape of my life currently. Everyone should lift weights! Who knows, maybe you'll be the one we will cheer for in Paris!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

When does the replay typically show up on NBC Sports? I want to watch that big, beautiful man crush some kilos.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

When does the replay typically show up on NBC Sports? I want to watch that big, beautiful man crush some kilos.

It's available in the app under replays

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Proteus Jones posted:

It's available in the app under replays

Sweet deal. I'll see what I can find after I get done with overload snatch day.

Someday I hope to total as much as Lasha snatches.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Lasha making 3 world records look like child's play. Up to #7 all time Sinclair I believe. Once he hits 490 that'll be #2 then he'd need to get 501 to pass Naim.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

naim was an absolute monster outlier

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Watching SHW Lasha crush those weights with so much more in the tank was ridiculous. It felt less like a competition and more like an exhibition.

What's with the beef Mattie Rogers seems to have with Kat Nye? Is it purely because she got bumped up a weight class and was 10kg too light in her group?

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 5, 2021

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

gay_crimes posted:

Watching SHW Lasha crush those weights with so much more in the tank was ridiculous. It felt less like a competition and more like an exhibition.

What's with the beef Mattie Rogers seems to have with Kat Nye? Is it purely because she got bumped up a weight class and was 10kg too light in her group?

I don't follow USA drama but I would imagine so. It's a huge difference from the China team where Tian Tao got screwed over in the same way but they all are basically best friends on that team.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Like, that's another area where the chinese weightlifting team just owns it. They all help each other out on the team, while making the team requires you to do good in the brutally competitive Chinese Nationals (where you start as a province representative). Good combo of competition and camaraderie.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lasha loving rules what a guy. Big man lifting big weight we love to see it.

I didn't know about the stipend for records but knowing the IOC it's not surprising. Thanks for the thread and info dex_sda

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The stipend is state dependent, but most countries esp ex-soviet and china have them. I know in China it's roughly 100k per world record, money for gold medals etc.

You don't see it abused as much in other sports because weightlifting is unique in that you call your shot before you make it. If you remember Sergei Bubka or Isinbayeva in pole vault, they both could inch the record up, and they did, for the same reason.

And no problem, glad to be of help :)

e; lu xiaojun earned enough cash from his career to start a weightlifting gear company for instance, barbells and such that are actually a decent option in the budget bracket.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 5, 2021

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You know, its amusing to me that after weeks of hearing shitheads claim Laurel Hubbard would have an inherent unfair advantage over all women she didn't even do well.

Like, great showing off inherent male biological supremacy there, really proved that trans women are cheaters.

It feels weird that it basically feels like a victory for trans women in sports when the trans woman doesn't do that well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Her second lift was good :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Arrhythmia posted:

Her second lift was good :colbert:

I mean, yeah, she competed well and was clearly a great athlete but also clearly wasn't inherently superior to all the quote/unquote "real" women who were there.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, yeah, she competed well and was clearly a great athlete but also clearly wasn't inherently superior to all the quote/unquote "real" women who were there.

That's a pretty stupid take though. Whether a transgender female has an inherent advantage is extremely complicated and all we can say is that the jury is still out. It's perfectly possible that Hubbard had an inherent advantage and still got the result she got. Or not. But it's not as simple as pointing out that she didn't dominate the competition.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

80k posted:

That's a pretty stupid take though. Whether a transgender female has an inherent advantage is extremely complicated and all we can say is that the jury is still out. It's perfectly possible that Hubbard had an inherent advantage and still got the result she got. Or not. But it's not as simple as pointing out that she didn't dominate the competition.

It is when the general transphobic narrative was that inherent biological male superiority was so massive that it was tantamount to cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Interview from Lu Xiaojun about the M81 competition and plans for the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jml704CSwG4