Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
What do you think of the name change?

Known as the Indians since 1915, Cleveland's Major League Baseball team will next be called the Guardians.

The ballclub announced the name change Friday with a video on Twitter narrated by actor Tom Hanks, ending months of internal discussions triggered by a national reckoning by institutions and teams to permanently drop logos and names considered racist.

The name change is effective at the end of the 2021 season.

The organization spent most of the past year whittling down a list of potential names that was at nearly 1,200 just over a month ago. But the process quickly accelerated, and the club landed on Guardians.

https://twitter.com/Indians/status/1418565355472101378

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31868331/cleveland-changing-name-indians-guardians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I think it's a pretty bland name. Should have gone with Rocks or Spiders.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It taught me about some weird/cool statues in Cleveland and moved up the city a bit in my esteem so in that way it is a success

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The team needs to make some new weird statues overlooking traffic, but with Jim Thome's face on them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Design wise though that deco-G with the baseball is not a very confident execution

just have the winged G and drop the baseball like... we already know you're a baseball team it's always a really sad look to have the team need to have the goddamned puck/ball whatever in the design and the G is strong enough to stand on its own

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Goddamn that's fuckin lame

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the Guardians of Traffic statues overlook the Hope Memorial Bridge near the stadium, they're the nickname reference:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

the Guardians of Traffic statues overlook the Hope Memorial Bridge near the stadium, they're the nickname reference:

this, but Jim Thome holding a bullpen cart

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
The statues are cool, so of course they utilized them in the lamest way possible

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The more I think about the statues the more I come around to the name. There's something distinctly weird about a "guardian of the traffic" statue that I think it's good as a source of the name.

The logo, though, might need some work.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

DJExile posted:

This is helpful for those of us who don't know diddly about Cleveland.

Thanks!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im the lardian guardian

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1418647615382573060

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
All sports names are dumb, Cleveland Guardians will be perfectly fine in a few decades when the team has history to go with the name.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Guardians is fine, it's not even the worst major franchise name in North America, which belongs to Real Salt Lake.

The logo work on the other hand. Woof. Straight up garbage.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

You had the Spiders RIGHT THERE MLB!

Jesus christ...still better than the old name at least.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Drunk Canuck posted:

Guardians is fine, it's not even the worst major franchise name in North America, which belongs to Real Salt Lake.
Utah really is home to two of the worst.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Real Salt Lake is hilarious. Like most of the teams in MLS cargo-culted their names, too, but they were smart enough to just steal "FC" or "United." But SLC, it's like they just saw Real Madrid and thought Euro teams called themselves "real" like someone on twitter who was too slow to get the name they wanted with absolutely no clue that real is Spanish for "royal."

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Starsfan posted:

All sports names are dumb, Cleveland Guardians will be perfectly fine in a few decades when the team has history to go with the name.

Yeah, let the graphic design age 20 years, let people forget about the owls of Gahoole, It’ll be fine.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it should have been the amphibians

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

That is some real praise.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ChickenMedium posted:

Real Salt Lake is hilarious. Like most of the teams in MLS cargo-culted their names, too, but they were smart enough to just steal "FC" or "United." But SLC, it's like they just saw Real Madrid and thought Euro teams called themselves "real" like someone on twitter who was too slow to get the name they wanted with absolutely no clue that real is Spanish for "royal."

I think they had a partnership with Real Madrid when they first started.

Not saying it isn't a stupid loving name, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The feathers on the new logo are kind of a nice hat tip to Wahoo.